BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Tire Chain or Cable Recommendation?

7K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  2wagons 
#1 ·
Although I don't PLAN on driving in the snow too often and I realize this is an AWD vehicle, there are times when having chains or cables is mandatory. Anyone have suggestions?

For you East Coast folk, how well do the OEM "All Season" tires work in the snow? I've got the Cinturato P7 All Seasons on my 35i.

Thanks!

#2 ·
There are still places where driving w/chains is mandatory? really? Wow -- well I drive Nokian WRG2 tires all year. They have the severe weather condition markings on them and are truly a wonderful tire. Got me through this winter in northeast -- several 1-2 foot snowfalls, ice, slush, locusts, frogs, you name it. Especially good on the E83 which, ahem, tends to drive a little hard. They have a nice plush ride -- but certainly not squishy. Dont know how they will work with the F25 which I think was designed to ride with RFT's, no?

#3 ·
Just to clarify...I don't live in an area where it snows and I'm referring to a situation of getting to a place that might require chains. To clarify further: Planning a trip to Yosemite and we know if we go in July there wouldn't be any issues. What if we decided to go in December instead? The Yosemite website states that HAVING chains is mandatory to get to certain passes.

#4 ·
chains or cable

I commute on a regular basis (for 35 years) to Tahoe with 4wd, and have never once carried or needed chains. The CHP says chains are sometimes mandatory and all drivers must carry them (I've never been asked).
There are 3 controlled road situations- level 1- chains or snow tires ( the highways are always level 2 now- chains or 4wd with snow tires). All tires except summer performance tires are M+S rated, so qualify under this designation. Level 3- chains on all vehicles. I have never seen a level 3 requirement, and a CHP officer told me level 3 would be solid ice, and they would close the road if that condition ever occurred. Unless you have a very steep driveway or drive seriously unplowed roads, save your money.

#5 ·
Thanks for the input. I guess my main concern was whether the All Season tires with the M+S designation would work well enough with the AWD. I know the M+S technically qualifies but these tires certainly don't look like they're built for snow driving. (Then again, I haven't driven in the snow for at least 25 years.)

#6 · (Edited)
One of the things I've learned here on Bimmerfest is that if you post any question regarding snow chains, the only help you're going to get is a bunch of East Coasters telling you that you don't need them. At first, I questioned whether I needed them, then I got annoyed, and finally realized that NorCal is pretty much the only place in the country where you're required to have them.

Now, if you have M+S and AWD, you will not need them in Tahoe. They won't even check. If you want them as a backup, but you're also concerned about clearance, ease of putting them on, etc, I HIGHLY recommend the SCC Super Z6 chain (http://www.scc-chain.com). They have one that'll fit on the X3. I spent _months_ in vain trying search for help on Bimmerfest and other BMW forums. In the end, I took a chance with the Super Z6 after doing a lot of research on clearance amounts and chain measurements. I have been very happy; Very little clearance is needed with the Z6

If you have a much, much larger budget, there are plenty of good tire claw products out there that are really easy to use, but many of them require pre-installation of the hubs before you leave home. I've only used the cables a few times and I can throw them on within 90 seconds per tire on dry pavement and under 4 minutes with snow and crap on the side of the road in Tahoe.

#8 ·
Did you compare the Z-Chain to the Super Z6? Any issues with the Super Z6 and damage to the rims from the required tensioner?

#9 ·
I have been stopped on I-5 north of Redding heading over Shasta. Highway patrol insisted that chains be put on or they would turn you back. Oregon also requires chains on certain passes in particularly bad weather. I grew up in Minnesota, and believe I know how to get the job done without chains. However, ELEVATION can be the deal breaker.
Think about this.....if you ignore the signage and go thru without chains and have an accident, the lawyers will have a field day. Not to mention your insurance company.
Chains are a huge PITA. I have given the proper rationale, but will now say I have never put them on 50 yrs of driving). I drove thru the HP stoppage on I-5 and made my way home.

#10 ·
Z6 tire chains

Thanks Cliffjumper for your post. I purchased a set of the Super Z6 for my new 328dx. I commute a few times a winter between ski areas in Washington and Utah and while I normally do just fine without chains there are times (like once every couple of years) when conditions make me really happy I have them to put on. I've also been stopped a couple of times in the past 30 years and told to put them on. The super Z6 looks to be much better than the older ladder cables I've used on past cars.

With most AWD I put the chains on the front. There looks like more clearance in the back. This is my first x-drive, any comments from people who actually sometimes use chains one way or the other?
Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.