Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-03-2011, 02:59 PM
Qualityhound

Mein Auto: 2011 535Xi
Updated Review at 10,000 miles - 535 X-drive Standard

Tomorrow morning, I will have the car into service for the second time since I've owned it -- the first time was a 3,000-mile oil change -- tomorrow will be a 10,000-mile oil change. Frankly, there's very little to talk about. My satisfaction with the car has continued to increase, and I think that's because it's been 100% trouble-free and I have become more familiar with it. It is quietly refined in virtually every way; the body and interior have no rattles, and I believe the acceleration is getting better with mileage. The oil indicator in the I-drive has shown full every day I have owned the car. It currently shows needing an oil change in 8,000 miles. Both the factory fill and my 3,000 mile oil used the BMW oil, but I will change to 0-40 Mobil-1 this time.

I continue to be troubled by the concept of the mandatory ROF tires and no spare. However, I have only about 1,500 miles on the Goodyear LS-2 RFTs that came with the car and therefore have no solid basis for judging the OEM tires. A full-sized spare and non-RFT snows and dedicated rims were installed almost immediately after I bought the car. Minnesota's pothole season is the 12-month kind, and I have to say, the Michelin X-Ice tires and Moda MD-11 wheels from the Tire Rack have been tough and exceeded my expectations many times over. Switching back to the Goodyears will be interesting. Even though I will be trashing my investment in the BMW wheel and tire insurance, I'm tempted to eBay the virtually new Goodyears and go with non-ROF.

The Oyster interior has held up really well. I have used leather wipes on the driver's seat once and done nothing else. The paint looks really good, considering the number of automatic car washes the car has been through with the salt and crap the car goes through. There's no other choice, except picking your poison by being selective with where you go. One of my frustrations with the automatic car washes is the fact that the fuel door and the roof rack covers get popped open with the drying cycle about 50% of the time.

I continue to be frustrated with my investment in the Night Vision system and its inability to recognize the kinds of night hazards that kill drivers -- deer, elk, bears, etc. YES, it could be programmed for recognition of those hazards as well as pedestrians walking or riding bikes. I have no other frustrations that really matter.

I purchased the Battery Tender from BMW recently, and will be using it during some 10 day+ travel. I've heard mixed comments on how much the BMW battery really needs it, but it's cheap insurance against being stuck in the cold and replacing a $500 battery.

Otherwise:

No unscheduled dealer visits
No pulling to the right
No grinding, lurching or clicking
No Wisconsin protesters glaring at me through the dot.

Best to all.
Tom
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2011, 03:50 AM
g335xi

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
Thanks for sharing! I have had my 535x for only 2 weeks now. Living in Boston is rough on the tires as well. I've been extra careful on the roads as pot holes seem to be everywhere!
I cane out of a 335xi where I had to replace 9 tires abd 3 rims. Thankfully I had the tire plan.
I hope these 19's hold up better.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
Maybe I'm wrong but in that picture you have it looks like its snowing maybe you could comment on how its held up in the snow? (unless thats just some internet picture you found ) we tried once with our old 7-series in the snow and needless to say it never has been out in snow for the past 3 years.

Last edited by SuperTerp; 03-05-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:11 PM

Mein Auto: 535i Xdrive +'01 Corvette
Good review. I have found I also love my 535 X drive. Knock wood trouble free for 2 months and 3,000 miles. I did drive it in a snow storm a few weeks ago. The snow was 5-7 inches with variable road plowing and icy patches. I am reasonably experienced in snow driving and know enough to be careful and understand that X drive (or any all wheel drive variant) does not make you invincible. I had no problem making it safely to my destination. Some times driving 30 mph and others driving 70 mph depending on the road condition. Car remained quiet and stable and controlled.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesight1 View Post
Good review. I have found I also love my 535 X drive. Knock wood trouble free for 2 months and 3,000 miles. I did drive it in a snow storm a few weeks ago. The snow was 5-7 inches with variable road plowing and icy patches. I am reasonably experienced in snow driving and know enough to be careful and understand that X drive (or any all wheel drive variant) does not make you invincible. I had no problem making it safely to my destination. Some times driving 30 mph and others driving 70 mph depending on the road condition. Car remained quiet and stable and controlled.
Thanks! Yeah I'm well versed awd or 4x4 doesn't make you invincible, I was more concerned with about those inch levels you gave 5-7 (thats about what the DMV gets with an occasional massive storm). Glad you felt it preformed well.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:21 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
Maybe I'm wrong but in that picture you have it looks like its snowing maybe you could comment on how its held up in the snow? (unless thats just some internet picture you found ) we tried once with our old 7-series in the snow and needless to say it never has been out in snow for the past 3 years.
I know you didn't ask this question, and my car is different, but as you lived through the recent "snowmageddon" here in the Mid-Atlantic, I'll weigh in.

I have a 535i (no x-drive) and replaced my RFT's with Continental Extreme Contact DWS's. I have to say that even with RWD, my car was one of the few that had very little issues with getting up hills in the teeth of the storm. The car was really phenomenal.

I would imagine that an XDrive would be even better, especially with snows..

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 03-05-2011, 01:35 PM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
I'm curious about your full size spare. How is that secured in the trunk?

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011

BMWCCA #350568
Old 03-05-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I know you didn't ask this question, and my car is different, but as you lived through the recent "snowmageddon" here in the Mid-Atlantic, I'll weigh in.

I have a 535i (no x-drive) and replaced my RFT's with Continental Extreme Contact DWS's. I have to say that even with RWD, my car was one of the few that had very little issues with getting up hills in the teeth of the storm. The car was really phenomenal.

I would imagine that an XDrive would be even better, especially with snows..
Yeah I appreciate it and yes you are well aware of what we've been going through in this area. Sounds great though that even the 2wd 535s aren't having trouble getting up hills . Not that I want snow, but I can't wait to see how I personally do with the 550 in snow. We live on a hill and are constantly neglected by the county plows (it took us 2 days to get a plow this past small storm) and almost a week when we had the "snowmageddon" so I'd be real impressed if I didn't have to worry about any of that.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:41 PM
g335xi

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
Yup I'm from Boston. I've only had it a little over a week and we've had one snow fall and it was fine. I had to go to work and I took it easy. My commute is only 7 miles and I park in a garage.

I don't expect to drive it through a storm. I can share that my previous 335xi was great in the snow. I never got stuck even when pulling out of 24 inches of snow in the driveway.

Oh.. yes, that is my picture.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:41 PM
Qualityhound

The car has been fantastic in all combinations of deep powder, wet slush, ice and a mixed surface where your left wheels are on ice and right side is hard pack or unplowed. Daily commute - 130 miles round trip - drifting snow, middle of nowhere stuff. Yes, I have Michelin X-Ice non-RFTs so that makes a huge difference. Also, the snows are 225-55/18, instead of the wider, lower-profile 245-45/18 OEM setup, so that is another advantage for control, comfort and protecting the rim. I cannot over-emphasize how highly this setup performs -- better than the two Audi Quattros I've owned, each with Blizzaks, yet still quiet, comfortable and with fairly agile handling.

Twice, I've been forced to used evasive tactics (hard steering and or braking) -- groan -- and had the car do precisely what I needed it to do. Love it!

The full-sized spare is center in the trunk far forward and anchored using a ratcheting strap and the trunk tie-downs thru the spokes and around the circumference of the tire. It never moves.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:28 PM

Thanks for again positive review I almost want it to snow again just to drive it, granted windows down may/june weather (hopefully it won't take that long) will be might nice
Old 03-05-2011, 07:36 PM

Mein Auto: 325CI
On the spare tire. No luck in locating a donut ? Also , what type of jack system did you purchase ?

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
Old 03-05-2011, 08:53 PM
Qualityhound

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarco View Post
On the spare tire. No luck in locating a donut ? Also , what type of jack system did you purchase ?

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
I wasn't able to find a donut anywhere and frankly, would not want to drive on one with X-drive very far anyway. I think it would probably be hard on the drivetrain.

I haven't gotten around to getting a jack, which is probably wrong on my part. I have AAA and BMW Roadside service and figured each would have jack and lugwrench. My biggest concern was towing from the middle of nowhere AND not being able to find a tire. My full-sized wheel and 5th snow tire takes care of that.