Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 03-03-2011, 08:45 AM

Mein Auto: 335i Convertible
Tire Chain or Cable Recommendation?

Although I don't PLAN on driving in the snow too often and I realize this is an AWD vehicle, there are times when having chains or cables is mandatory. Anyone have suggestions?

For you East Coast folk, how well do the OEM "All Season" tires work in the snow? I've got the Cinturato P7 All Seasons on my 35i.

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2011, 09:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 X3, 2008 MT X3
There are still places where driving w/chains is mandatory? really? Wow -- well I drive Nokian WRG2 tires all year. They have the severe weather condition markings on them and are truly a wonderful tire. Got me through this winter in northeast -- several 1-2 foot snowfalls, ice, slush, locusts, frogs, you name it. Especially good on the E83 which, ahem, tends to drive a little hard. They have a nice plush ride -- but certainly not squishy. Dont know how they will work with the F25 which I think was designed to ride with RFT's, no?
Old 03-03-2011, 09:52 AM

Just to clarify...I don't live in an area where it snows and I'm referring to a situation of getting to a place that might require chains. To clarify further: Planning a trip to Yosemite and we know if we go in July there wouldn't be any issues. What if we decided to go in December instead? The Yosemite website states that HAVING chains is mandatory to get to certain passes.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:00 PM

Mein Auto: subaru outback
Cool chains or cable

I commute on a regular basis (for 35 years) to Tahoe with 4wd, and have never once carried or needed chains. The CHP says chains are sometimes mandatory and all drivers must carry them (I've never been asked).
There are 3 controlled road situations- level 1- chains or snow tires ( the highways are always level 2 now- chains or 4wd with snow tires). All tires except summer performance tires are M+S rated, so qualify under this designation. Level 3- chains on all vehicles. I have never seen a level 3 requirement, and a CHP officer told me level 3 would be solid ice, and they would close the road if that condition ever occurred. Unless you have a very steep driveway or drive seriously unplowed roads, save your money.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:11 PM

Thanks for the input. I guess my main concern was whether the All Season tires with the M+S designation would work well enough with the AWD. I know the M+S technically qualifies but these tires certainly don't look like they're built for snow driving. (Then again, I haven't driven in the snow for at least 25 years.)
Old 03-15-2011, 12:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 09 M3 Sedan
One of the things I've learned here on Bimmerfest is that if you post any question regarding snow chains, the only help you're going to get is a bunch of East Coasters telling you that you don't need them. At first, I questioned whether I needed them, then I got annoyed, and finally realized that NorCal is pretty much the only place in the country where you're required to have them.

Now, if you have M+S and AWD, you will not need them in Tahoe. They won't even check. If you want them as a backup, but you're also concerned about clearance, ease of putting them on, etc, I HIGHLY recommend the SCC Super Z6 chain (http://www.scc-chain.com). They have one that'll fit on the X3. I spent _months_ in vain trying search for help on Bimmerfest and other BMW forums. In the end, I took a chance with the Super Z6 after doing a lot of research on clearance amounts and chain measurements. I have been very happy; Very little clearance is needed with the Z6

If you have a much, much larger budget, there are plenty of good tire claw products out there that are really easy to use, but many of them require pre-installation of the hubs before you leave home. I've only used the cables a few times and I can throw them on within 90 seconds per tire on dry pavement and under 4 minutes with snow and crap on the side of the road in Tahoe.

Last edited by CliffJumper; 03-15-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:12 PM

Appreciate the input...especially the understanding of being a Californian and the situation at Tahoe. Yes, I'd probably only get them for emergency uses.

Thanks again!