Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:41 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 roadster
Z4 roof top stock

Hi, there I am new. My problem that I have with my 2003 Z4 roadster is that the rag top dosn't open any more. Does any body has an idea of what could be bad? is automatic opener and only make noises. I would appreciate
Ads by Google
Old 03-04-2011, 06:08 PM
Underway on Nuclear Power

Mein Auto: Me
If you search and read through the posts, you will find that the most probable cause with the limited information you gave is that your electro-hydraulic motor is bad.
Furthermore, does legality establish morality?
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams
Old 03-04-2011, 07:01 PM
Some Say...he apexes late

Mein Auto: Z4MR
You might check the two rotary locks in the trunk to be sure they are disengaged. If not, the top wont move, and the light just blinks.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:25 AM
Underway on Nuclear Power

Mein Auto: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcleme05 View Post
You might check the two rotary locks in the trunk to be sure they are disengaged. If not, the top wont move, and the light just blinks.
If his motor is running (making noise) then all the switches and interlocks are good.

Those two 'rotary handles' just raise and lower the 'Convertible Top Floor'. The CTF has a tap/tang in the middle of it that actuates the micro-switch on the bulkhead.

A faulty motor can make noise but not provide enough hydraulic pressure to move the top.
Furthermore, does legality establish morality?
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams

Last edited by shipkiller; 03-05-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M Roadster
I'm 90% sure Yr motor is bad. The older Z4s have issues with water getting in the motor. Most of them died in five years or so that saw a lot of water. I believe Shipkiller has an excellent DIY someplace. If you hear it running above your head but the top doesn't retract, that's the most likely scenario