Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:33 AM

Mein Auto: BMW Z3 1.9
Z3 wind sound problem

Hey guys!

Just bought my new 97 z3 1.9 with a hard top.

Today i was driving on the highway and when i reach 80 klm/h I start to have a really annoying sound of wind, coming from what i can see, the junction of the small driver window, the windshield and the hardtop... the faster u go, the worse is the noise..

Any ideas what it can be? Shall i go to BMW (and spend a fortune) or could it be just the hard top that its not properly put?

Thank you all for your input!

P.s- soon ill put some pics of the machine
Ads by Google
Old 03-06-2011, 07:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: DINAN Z3 3.0,535i,MINI
If you pressure spray the suspected areas with a garden house this may help solve your problem by looking for wetness in your interior. Another source that I haven't heard about lately is a lack of sealant around the windshield but this symptom is more like a howling at a 100 kph or greater with a crosswind.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:55 PM

thanks..first thing tomorrow, ill buy a spray and check it.. ill post here the results..

By the way, today i was trying to take the hart top off the car, but i didnt manage to pull the left locking lever (driver seat) more than the middle it was really stuck! The right one was ok.. any ideas?

but i really love this car!
Old 03-06-2011, 05:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to amancuso
Mein Auto: 128i, 330i, Z3 2.3, R56
Make sure you remove the torx bolts from the front two corners before you undo the rear latches.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
Make sure you remove the torx bolts from the front two corners before you undo the rear latches.
yep, i did that..
Old 03-06-2011, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: '01 Z3.0 R; '10 MB C300
The fixed triangle window can be adjusted. I believe the adjustment screw is on the bottom of the door...I've never done it but I know others have, hopefully they'll chime in. I bet if you adjust the window so that it's tighter against the windshield you'd solve your problem.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackM View Post
The fixed triangle window can be adjusted. I believe the adjustment screw is on the bottom of the door...I've never done it but I know others have, hopefully they'll chime in. I bet if you adjust the window so that it's tighter against the windshield you'd solve your problem.
Thanks! ill take a look too... hope that will be something easy

Ill keep u guys posted!
Old 03-08-2011, 04:49 AM

well, took a better look and used the spray.. nothing going inside.. in the end i stopped in a bmw dealership. and the bmw tester guy was kind enough to go for a ride and check the problem.. it seems that its the rubber in the door are a bit folded, and because of that all the noise appears.. they said that the best option for it, is replacing it..

oh, and talked about the hard top thing.. he said it probably needed a tune up (?) ..

Well, gonna drive for a bit now..