Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 03-06-2011, 05:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW Z4
Driving Club (or Z4 club) in the Bay Area?

Hi all ...

I just went for a drive yesterday, following the first 100 miles of this great drive, created by the folks in a local Mini driving club:

http://redwoodempiremini.com/PDF/REME%202009%20Mountain%20House%20Run.pdf

It was a blast! I will be doing a few more drives in the area, down 25 south of Hollister, up Hwy 1 north of the bay, etc.

However, I would love to see if there is a good driving club based out of the South Bay? Or even better yet, a BMW Zed-4 driving club. Does anybody know of good ones?

And perhaps we should start our own, if we have enough people interested that are based in the Bay Area.

Thanks!

/LesC
Advertisement
Old 03-07-2011, 02:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z-4
Z-4 Bay Area Driving Club...

Great idea for a Z-4 Driving Club in the Bay Area. Count me in!
Old 03-07-2011, 02:05 PM

Z-4 Bay Area Club

LesC,

Had to update my car info to a Z-4 . . . my old Z-3 was totaled.

Dennis
========
Old 03-07-2011, 03:52 PM

Great, Dennis. So, at least we have two people right now. A couple more, we can actually have a real "club". Should be perfect ... just in time for spring.

So, just to seed some ideas, I'm thinking of something like:

* Have a drive once a month, perhaps the first Saturday of each month or something like that.
* Drives will vary in location, but will generally be somewhere between 75 and 200 miles. I think 200 miles is a bit long for a whole day, but it probably is doable in the mid summer time frame.
* The drive itself is the most important part, but I think that strategic rest stops would be great ... i.e. along the coast, at a restaurant like Alice's, etc.

Now, I've never been in a group like this, so I don't know what the best experience is. All in a row about 10 seconds apart? Spread the cars out a bit more to allow for more aggressive individual driving? Any ideas here? Will we have enough Z4ers to do this, or will we need to open it up to other Bimmers? Or just any sports car in general?

How to handle drivers who like to drive different speeds? The ones who like to drive "fastest" in the front, and the "slower" ones in the back?

And ... this might be hokey ... but perhaps walkie talkies as needed to communicate between cars? I don't even know the range of these things, but having one in the front and rear cars could be helpful, and more safe.

Getting excited.

/LesC
Old 03-12-2011, 07:38 PM

Dennis and others ...

Met someone that told me about a club called "Bay Area Z" (www.bayareaz.com). I checked out the site and they have some pretty LONG rides, some one dayers and some over night ... doing into Tahoe, Wine Country, Yosemite, Sequoia, etc. So, I will try a few of their drives as it sounds fun. However, a lot of the drives are really bigger excursions and are not really based out of the Bay Area. For example, several start in Modesto, others I saw start in Sacramento, or Placerville, etc.

So, not exactly what I was looking for, but looks pretty good. I'm still game for either looking for or starting our own club, doing day trips that start/end in the Bay Area.

/LesC
Old 03-25-2011, 02:18 AM

Driving Club . . .

Hi LesC,

I would think that there are many more Z4 or "Z" owners in the Bay Area that would be interested in a "Z" driving club. Thanks for the info on the Bay Area Z club web site. I will take a look at that later.

Not sure what to say about driving in a group. I've not done a group drive in cars. I have done many rides with HOG (Harley Owner's Group) and they generally use CB radios in the lead and rear bikes to keep track of everyone.

A "Z" group could use FRS/GMRS radios to communicate with everyone. They generally have 1/2 miles range and should work OK I would think.

I agree with you in that one day drive of over 200 miles would be a bit much for a group. I like to take drives on many of the Bay Area back roads and enjoy the scenery. I have several favorites. A nice over night drive might be up to the Yosemite area during the summer months. Speaking of summer months . . . I'm tired of all this rainy weather! Want to start driving with the top down . . .

Dennis
============
Old 03-26-2011, 10:25 PM

Hi Dennis ...

When I went on that drive with the person I met, she had two wireless radios (Cobra models), and they were very cool. We were only two cars, and I can only see what type of value this would have for a larger group. As long as the range was 1/2 mile or so, then at least having the lead and rear cars having the radios would be good, and people in between as well. I assume that if everybody is on the same channel, everybody can listen in and talk. I believe that these frequencies are standardized so that all makes of radios should work, although somebody please correct me if I'm wrong with that.

I just drove back from LA today. Took Hwy 1 up to about Cambria and couldn't continue up because a key part of Hwy 1 near Big Sur is now in the Pacific Ocean. Too bad, that is the best part. But ... I went back to 101 to 198 and then up 25 all the way up 101 again (about 70 miles). 25 was WONDERFUL. I only had to pass one car the entire time, and once the clouds lifted about 10 miles into it, I was able to run the car hard ... by my standards anyway. Looking forward to doing that drive with others.

So, any other Z4ers in the larger Bay Area from this group that want to do some driving together? Make yourselves known!

/LesC
Old 05-30-2011, 10:26 AM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 3.0i 2004
I would be interested in getting a Bay Area Z4 Club going. Sounds like a great idea. Count me in!
Old 06-07-2011, 06:12 PM

Well . . . with "joshaj24", there are three of us now.

Dennis
Old 06-07-2011, 09:40 PM

Yep, there are three of us. Not a bad start! Any other takers? I think we can at least start gathering and taking drives together.

We can set up a date/time to meet, and see if other folks from this forum show up.

How about this Sunday (6/12) at 11am somewhere? Is that too soon?

/LesC
Old 06-08-2011, 10:46 AM

Cannot make it on Sunday . . . how about Sat June 18th or Sun June 19th? 11AM is good for me . . . where?
Old 06-08-2011, 02:28 PM

I intentionally didn't pick that weekend since i'll be out-of-town. So ... Perhaps the week after that? June 25/26th?

We can meet near Saratoga or Cupertino and take it from there. A ton of good rides from there to the west and south.

/LesC
Old 06-23-2011, 10:09 PM

LesC,

Like two ships passing in the night . . . I cannot make it for this coming weekend. I have too many irons in the fire and will not have an open weekend until 16-17 July... Seems like I had more time to do things when I was working full time . . .

Dennis