Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 TURBO X5 35i
Consumer Report Rates X5 as Worst of the WORST

Consumer Reports had good thing on MB vs BMW
I guess they are Haters!
Ads by Google
Old 03-06-2011, 05:55 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
Who really buys a car solely going by consumer reports? Oh sorry, Camry drivers.

Retired

1999 Prelude SH / Pearl White /
2007 X3 Sport / Jet Black /
2010 X5 Sport / Sapphire Black /

Current
2013 X5 M-Sport / M-Power / Alpine White /
Old 03-06-2011, 06:17 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D, M3 CiC
Consumer Reports PREFERS Japanese vehicles. They base their info on surveys returned by [disgruntled] owners. In 1993/94, I thought I was smart to use Consumer Reports to help me decide on the purchase of a new vehicle (pre-BMW). I wanted a sedan with some guts. The Consumer reports Auto Issue raved about the Ford SHO as a recommended vehicle. I drove one, liked it and bought it. The car was wonderful and in 2002, I gave it to my son who was stationed at Camp Lejeune. He lived in Wilmington and commuted to Lejeune everyday until he was deployed. When he returned and got out of the military, he moved to NY and continued to drive the car until it was totaled in 2006 by a hungry woman driver who needed a Burger King and swung from the left lane across my son's right lane attempting to enter the BK driveway. The car had 140000 miles and was still running perfect and looked fantastic.If I had waited for the 1994/95 Consumer reports Auto Issue, I would have seen that the 1994 SHO was a "car to avoid" because it was absolutely terrible. So the moral to this long story is: The best use for Consumer Reports magazines is for covering the bottom of bird cages.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: '08 335xi
And they don't recommend the iPhone either. Go figure. If I listened to them I'd hate life . No bimmers no iPhones. What kind of life would that be! LOL
Old 03-06-2011, 07:31 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
You can't just go by the Consumer Reports conclusions and scores, you have to actually read what they say. The only reason they did not recommend the iphone for a while was because of the antenna issue. So if you actually read it, you'd see they liked the iphone a lot, except for the antenna.

Consumer Reports currently scores the iphone as their highest rated smart phone, with a score of 76 out of 100.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:41 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0428 View Post
Who really buys a car solely going by consumer reports? Oh sorry, Camry drivers.
Thats pretty funny.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35i MSport
I was browsing a consumer reports at the mag stand just to see how they rated and I was shocked when I saw how bad they rated it.

I looked a little closer and noticed that all the claims they made for the 2011 were based on test driving a 2010 or 2009 (I can't remember). After I saw that I dismissed the whole review. There's so much more in depth and up to date info all over the net. I researched for months before buying the X and the decision was based on comparing current models from MB and Audi as well. Both on paper and on the road, the X is tops.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App
Old 03-07-2011, 05:06 AM

Mein Auto: X5d
CR is only good for a reference guide (i.e. making sure you didn't forget to look at all comparable vacuum cleaners). My Lexus was a "top-pick" and it was bought back by Lexus for steering malfunctions.

I'm actually curious to see how deep Toyota's balls are shoved down CR's throat as the recalls keep coming out.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:34 AM

Mein Auto: X5 3.5D
How many people on this forum read CR? I don't
How many people use CR as reference before deciding to buy X? I didn't.
How many people care about the CR's result regarding to X? I don't.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:28 AM
UK (ex-Pat)

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 3.0d M pack
I buy on by smile appeal

When I buy a vehicle, I go by what I think of it, and if the test drive doesn't make me smile from ear to ear like a chesire cat, then I don't buy it

11 months later.....it still makes me smile almost every day !

2010 X5 30d M Sport pack on 20 inch
In Space Grey, Panoramic roof, auto tailgate,
Privacy Glass, Comfort seats in Black?
Rear view camera
Old 03-07-2011, 07:48 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
I let my subscription lapse. Found that I didn't read it and was throwing it out unread. I do however check the "buyer's guide" sometimes at the library if there is a specific item I am looking for (like a large appliance). Cars, not so much, but they did do a "not recommended" piece on the GX series that caused Toyota to make some needed changes in the suspension. The other Buff books were afraid to touch that one I suspect (ad revenue!).
Old 03-07-2011, 08:20 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35D, M3 CiC
With regards to my experience with CR and my 1994 Ford SHO, I wrote CR and asked them to explain how they vote a car a choice pick one year and the very next year vote it the worst. That was in early 1995. I am still waiting for a reply and they are still waiting for my subscription renewal.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:23 AM

I see a lot of people criticizing the CR vehicle reliability data. Other than JD Power, what reliability data source does anyone think is better than the CR data from their subscribers?

The CR data is far from perfect; however, it is based on empirical data. In my experience, it correlates with my real life experience, e.g., the areas they have shown to be poorer than average in their reports have typically been areas where I have had problem with vehicles, e.g., my 1992 Ford Taurus was shown as having low engine reliability, and it turned out they had major head gasket problems for that model year if you asked mechanics... I had to replace mine at 110,000 miles.

Check the detailed reliability data for BMW models and years by vehicle system and you will see a reasonably good correlation with the post on these boards as to problems, e.g., fuel system on 2008 models.

As an example, here is the 2008 X5 info:

Fuel system, climate system, and audio system below average.

Engine major and minor, Engine cooling, drive system, electrical, exhaust, etc Above average.

The worst area was the fuel system, which most would agree was a problem due to the fuel pump issues.

Last edited by Penguin; 03-07-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 M3 coupe ZCP DCT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
I see a lot of people criticizing the CR vehicle reliability data.

As an example, here is the 2008 X5 info:

Fuel system, climate system, and audio system below average.

Engine major and minor, Engine cooling, drive system, electrical, exhaust, etc Above average.

The worst area was the fuel system, which most would agree was a problem due to the fuel pump issues.

Penguin, I believe the fuel pump issue is specific to the N54 engine and known problems with the HPFP. This engine was not used in the X5. Rather it was the N52 in MY08 which to the best of my knowledge is a proven engine. The current model uses the N55.

Perhaps CR is mixing up the data from other models such as the 3 and 5-series.

Regards,
NHman
Old 03-07-2011, 01:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 50i
Cool

Against my advice, my wife insisted we buy a 2007 Mazda CX-7 based on a good review in the French Canadian version of Consumer Reports. It was the worst purchasing decision we've ever made. We never had problems with the car per se but the interior is cheaply made, the 4-cyl turbo engine guzzles gas like there's no tomorrow and the drive is terribly boring. Let just say that we both agreed since then that I would be the one in charge of buying our cars. We're unloading the CX-7 on our BMW dealer this Spring in exchange for a brand new 2012 X5 50i. The best thing is that I'm pretty sure we'll get better mileage than with the CX-7. So no more CR for us, only SOTPR (Seat Of The Pants Report) from now on!

2012 BMW X5 50i Black Sapphire/Black Nevada
2003 BMW 325i Jet Black/Black Leatherette
Old 03-07-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhman View Post
Penguin, I believe the fuel pump issue is specific to the N54 engine and known problems with the HPFP. This engine was not used in the X5. Rather it was the N52 in MY08 which to the best of my knowledge is a proven engine. The current model uses the N55.

Perhaps CR is mixing up the data from other models such as the 3 and 5-series.

Regards,
NHman
http://sellmyjunkcar.com/Blog/bmw-x5...ulty-fuel-pump

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...ump-failures/1
Old 03-07-2011, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5
Let's not get our rose coloured glasses on here. JD Power rates the X5 since 2007 at average or below every year. Mine is not a reliable vehicle by any measure. A pleasure to drive when it is working and good looking yes. Reliable, no.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i
Now at 3 months and 6000 miles (on a 12000 annual miles lease).....ouch. No issues, no problems, no complaints other than nav mapping. The 50i performs and hauls a-- more so than my 08 Cayenne S. Good news is that I'll drive my 996 C4 Cab when the weather gets warm and catch up on my mileage issue while the 50i gets some much needed rest in the garage.
I am a CS subscriber. My opinion is that people are more likely to complain than they are to compliment. This forum is a prime example. If it makes you smile, do it.

2011 X5 50i
2002 C4 Cabriolet (996)
2011 E 350
Old 03-07-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
You can't just go by the Consumer Reports conclusions and scores, you have to actually read what they say. The only reason they did not recommend the iphone for a while was because of the antenna issue. So if you actually read it, you'd see they liked the iphone a lot, except for the antenna.

Consumer Reports currently scores the iphone as their highest rated smart phone, with a score of 76 out of 100.
They still don't recommend it. And now the Verizon iPhone is on their not recommended list. My point was that Consumer Reports is full of s@!*. The reason they do not recommend the iPhone is not because it doesn't work well but because the antenna meter shows low bars when it is touched in a certain location, not that it drops calls more than another phone. This rag is not for the educated consumer. It's for the uneducated consumer that does not have the mental capacity to interpret real facts to realize their own conclusions. Simple ratings and simple reviews for simple people.

Yours truly "Happy CR subscriber since 1995"

P.S. I do find value in their reliability ratings.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb4 View Post
They still don't recommend it. And now the Verizon iPhone is on their not recommended list. My point was that Consumer Reports is full of s@!*. The reason they do not recommend the iPhone is not because it doesn't work well but because the antenna meter shows low bars when it is touched in a certain location, not that it drops calls more than another phone.

It's official. Consumer Reports' engineers have just completed testing the iPhone 4, and have confirmed that there is a problem with its reception. When your finger or hand touches a spot on the phone's lower left side—an easy thing, especially for lefties—the signal can significantly degrade enough to cause you to lose your connection altogether if you're in an area with a weak signal. Due to this problem, we can't recommend the iPhone 4.
We reached this conclusion after testing all three of our iPhone 4s (purchased at three separate retailers in the New York area) in the controlled environment of CU's radio frequency (RF) isolation chamber. In this room, which is impervious to outside radio signals, our test engineers connected the phones to our base-station emulator, a device that simulates carrier cell towers (see video: IPhone 4 Design Defect Confirmed). We also tested several other AT&T phones the same way, including the iPhone 3G S and the Palm Pre. None of those phones had the signal-loss problems of the iPhone 4.
Our findings call into question the recent claim by Apple that the iPhone 4's signal-strength issues were largely an optical illusion caused by faulty software that "mistakenly displays 2 more bars than it should for a given signal strength."

Note that they still recommend to older version of the iphone.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i
Yada, yada, yada. Maybe I could be the Midwest "curmudgeon"??

2011 X5 50i
2002 C4 Cabriolet (996)
2011 E 350
Old 03-07-2011, 04:35 PM

Penguin, it does not state what the test was. Did they actually experience dropped calls or were the merely verifying the perceived signal degradation indicated by the meter. Silly facts.

Do you have an iPhone? The bottom-line is that cr is irrelevant. The mere fact that one of the phones they won't recommend is the single best selling electronic device in history (note: this statement has not been verified and has been added solely for dramatic affect) speaks to how relevant CR is.

Now back on topic.

I love the x5 and am not surprised that cr doesn't have the same opinion.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb4 View Post
I love the x5 and am not surprised that cr doesn't have the same opinion.
As I said, you have to read the CR stuff, not just take their conclusion or final score. Everyone values aspects differently, so people have to decide what is important to them.

This is what CR says about the X5 in summary:

"We liked the redesigned X5's handling, smooth engine, comfortable seats and impeccable fit and finish. But overall, we think the complicated controls and stiff suspension will frustrate most buyers. A turbodiesel is available. "

"The X5 has a stiff and choppy ride, particularly at low speeds. Handling is capable and secure, and the steering has good feedback. All of the gas engines deliver ample acceleration. An eight-speed transmission is new. The iDrive system has complicated controls and the transmission shift lever is counterintuitive. The interior is nicely trimmed, and the front- and second-row seats are supportive, but the optional third-row seat is small and best for children. The diesel version got 22 mpg overall in our tests, but it isn't as refined as the gas versions. Reliability of the 6-cylinder and diesel models has been well below average; the V8 is average."

I agree with most of their observations, but I don't agree with their conclusions. As a result, I find CR quite useful, but I do not accept their conclusion.

Similar thing with the iphone. They give it their highest score of all the smartphones, but do not recommend it because of the antenna issue. So if you read what they say, it is clear that they consider it the best smartphone out there, as long as you aren't bothered by the antenna issue, i.e., they agree with you completely, except for the antenna bit.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:07 PM
Fountainhead

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
As I said, you have to read the CR stuff, not just take their conclusion or final score. Everyone values aspects differently, so people have to decide what is important to them.

This is what CR says about the X5 in summary:

"We liked the redesigned X5's handling, smooth engine, comfortable seats and impeccable fit and finish. But overall, we think the complicated controls and stiff suspension will frustrate most buyers. A turbodiesel is available. "

"The X5 has a stiff and choppy ride, particularly at low speeds. Handling is capable and secure, and the steering has good feedback. All of the gas engines deliver ample acceleration. An eight-speed transmission is new. The iDrive system has complicated controls and the transmission shift lever is counterintuitive. The interior is nicely trimmed, and the front- and second-row seats are supportive, but the optional third-row seat is small and best for children. The diesel version got 22 mpg overall in our tests, but it isn't as refined as the gas versions. Reliability of the 6-cylinder and diesel models has been well below average; the V8 is average."

I agree with most of their observations, but I don't agree with their conclusions. As a result, I find CR quite useful, but I do not accept their conclusion.

Similar thing with the iphone. They give it their highest score of all the smartphones, but do not recommend it because of the antenna issue. So if you read what they say, it is clear that they consider it the best smartphone out there, as long as you aren't bothered by the antenna issue, i.e., they agree with you completely, except for the antenna bit.

I'll weigh in on this just a little. I am a freelance journalist and have worked for more than a few automotive rags. The problem with CR is that they use the same metrics to rate a car as they would to rate a washing machine. They review cars for old ladies.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcA78 View Post
The problem with CR is that they use the same metrics to rate a car as they would to rate a washing machine. They review cars for old ladies.
Precisely. Hence the disagreements about many of their conclusions. But their observations and test data is generally quite accurate, in my opinion.

And it's not like they hate BMW's, does anyone disagree with what they say about the 3-series below?

"The 3 Series has agile handling and a firm yet supple and controlled ride. Interior fit and finish is excellent, but the cabin is snug. Smooth 3.0-liter, six-cylinder engines power both the 328i and turbocharged 335i. Our tested 328i was very sporty and had excellent steering feel. It returned a relatively good 23 mpg overall. The optional AWD takes its toll on acceleration and fuel economy. Some controls are complex. Crash-test results are impressive, but the convertible didn't do as well in the IIHS side-impact test. A powerful turbodiesel engine got an impressive 28 mpg overall in our tests. Most versions have average or better reliability, except for the 335i."

Seems fair to me...