Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 335xi
The CR title for this should be..."the worst of the worst if your a boring old fart."
Old 03-07-2011, 06:26 PM

Mein Auto: X5
CR takes the point of view of a tough consumer who makes shrewd purchasing decisions based on functions, performance, reliability and bang for your buck. It's a worthy magazine for many, perhaps not this crowd, but many others. if they add a "sexy" factor to their eval I'm sure it'll be a different story!

We all know it, bimmers, other German cars and pretty much all European cars are just not going to be comparable to Japanese cars in terms of reliability and trouble-free performance. My less than 3-yr old 535i have been taken back for minor side-mirror memory issue 2x w/o solution, blown running light, fuel pump failure (actual failure not just recalled) and now at 28,000 miles the power steering pump is leaking and needs replacement. My '98 Lexus with 180,000 miles is live and kicking and I can count on one hand the number of times it needed repairs. It'll probably out live the 535i. But guess which car I love driving?

BMW's are like hot, gorgeous women. They are friggin high maintenance but we all want to have them
5-17-08 ED: 2008 535i Deep Sea Blue, cream beige Dakota, bamboo anthracite, Sp pkg, Premium pkg, sport auto trans, iPod USB, park distance ctrl. 2008 335i Convertible Montego Blue, gray Dakota, black poplar, Sp pkg, Premium pkg, paddle shifters, iPod USB, comfort access.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i
BMW's are like hot, gorgeous women. They are friggin high maintenance but we all want to have them [/QUOTE]

Finally, some common sense and a voice of reason.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:54 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahimanic View Post
BMW's are like hot, gorgeous women. They are friggin high maintenance but we all want to have them
Excellent and concise summary.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:48 PM

Mein Auto: Jaguar F-Type V8 S
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcA78 View Post
I'll weigh in on this just a little. I am a freelance journalist and have worked for more than a few automotive rags. The problem with CR is that they use the same metrics to rate a car as they would to rate a washing machine. They review cars for old ladies.
This simply isn't true.
BMW 550i, BMW 545i
Old 03-08-2011, 01:18 PM
Fountainhead

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by swajames View Post
This simply isn't true.
It simply is.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:25 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb4 View Post
And they don't recommend the iPhone either. Go figure. If I listened to them I'd hate life . No bimmers no iPhones. What kind of life would that be! LOL
Better with a droid anyway
Old 03-08-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcA78 View Post
It simply is.
Well, then Consumer Reports must think little old ladies love the Porsche Boxster, since they gave it 90 out of 100 (highest rating in the category) and said this:

"The Boxster's agile handling is fun and controllable. It has excellent tire grip and precise, communicative steering. Braking is top-notch. The ride is firm and well controlled yet not punishing. A six-speed manual transmission is standard. Throttle response is sharp, and the engine sound is a thrill. The two fore-and-aft trunks are small but add some practicality. The power top is easy to operate and works at speeds up to 30 mph. Both the base and S versions received more powerful engines and a seven-speed sequential transmission. Reliability has been well above average."

"The firm, controlled ride is comfortable and impacts are well-muted. Purists will like the exhaust notes coming from behind the cockpit. Wind noise is notable at speed with the top up. With the top down, there's little buffeting. The Boxster was fun to drive on both the street and on our track. Its communicative steering is well-weighted and the car turns in quickly. It was composed in bumpy corners, and forgiving at its high handling limits. It posted an impressive performance in our avoidance maneuver, and was predictable and controllable, whether or not ESC was engaged."
Old 03-08-2011, 02:00 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: Off-Brand
RE:"Well, then Consumer Reports must think little old ladies love the Porsche Boxster"..you make an excellent point. The Boxster is a car little old ladies would absolutly love.....real enthusiasts not so much
Old 03-08-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonCA View Post
RE:"Well, then Consumer Reports must think little old ladies love the Porsche Boxster"..you make an excellent point. The Boxster is a car little old ladies would absolutly love.....real enthusiasts not so much

So the people at Road & Track magazine are not "real enthusiast?"

The Boxster took second place in their comparison test a few years ago, "Best All-Around Sports Car." And the only reason it didn't take first place is because, "Where the Boxster S falters is price. The Boxster Sís base sticker of $53,100 will keep it from entering many peopleís driveway, and it kept the car from taking top honors in this test."

So if we knock off Road & Track, which magazine has "real enthusiasts" testing cars?

While I own a Z4, most enthusiast magazines I have seen consider the Boxster more of an enthusiast's car than the Z4.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5
Quote:
Sometimes you guys crack me up. Dissing the Boxster in an X5 forum? In my neighborhood the X5 and the MB ML are soccer mom's haulers. Which one would you have more fun commuting in every day Mr. enthusiast, a Boxster or an X5 diesel?

Though my answer would be neither one; give me an E46 M3 ragtop.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Car & Driver named the Boxster Spyder its best handling car under 100K.

Count me in if that's what little old ladies drive.
BMW 550i, BMW 545i
Old 03-08-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swajames View Post
Car & Driver named the Boxster Spyder its best handling car under 100K.

But it's not a car for "real enthusiasts" according to AnonCa.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:22 PM
Account Under Review

RE:" Boxster S's..."...totally different car than the base model. I would think the S would be more in line with Z4M to have a fair comparison?
Old 03-08-2011, 02:27 PM
Account Under Review

I know you're all experts..opinion-based forums are slightly different. i'll help ya all out...in my opinion..having driven both of them often...the BMW feels better to ME...and I'm a life-long Porsche fanatic. I just didn't like the way the Boxter felt...or the S...as much as I did the BMW...of course, your opinion may vary.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I know you're all experts..opinion-based forums are slightly different. i'll help ya all out...in my opinion..having driven both of them often...the BMW feels better to ME...and I'm a life-long Porsche fanatic. I just didn't like the way the Boxter felt...or the S...as much as I did the BMW...of course, your opinion may vary.
Based on your first post on Bimmerfest, you are a BMW Client Advisor, right?
BMW 550i, BMW 545i
Old 03-08-2011, 02:34 PM
Account Under Review

If that's an insight into your deductive reasoning skills, you're doing pretty well. Ask me which I wouyld prefer between an M3 and a 911. Seriously, whether I am an BMW CA or not..do you really think I can't have an honest opinion? Sorry to enter your world.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Your own opinion is certainly valid... my objection was your saying that it was also the opinion of all "Real Enthusiasts."
Old 03-08-2011, 02:40 PM
Account Under Review

Being around both makes for a long time, that's my account of it. I never said "all". My impression of the Boxter is simply less than that of the BMW, even when I was totally on the Porche bandwagon. It's probably because I have followed Porsche for 30 years and when the Boxter came out, it was decidedly un-Porsche-like.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:52 PM
pay it forward

Mein Auto: X5 and Subaru Impreza
i think in their latest issue they were giving some positive feedback to Land Rover! WTF.
RIP 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
RIP 1986 Honda Accord (involved in three car accident while pahked in the North End)
RIP 2002 Mini Cooper (90th produced)
Old 03-08-2011, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
Your own opinion is certainly valid... my objection was your saying that it was also the opinion of all "Real Enthusiasts."
+1 on this.

I take everything back to mathematics. CR loves Boxster = Boxter is old lady car. CR hates X5. By the associative property of CR, X5 must be hated by CR because it is an "enthusiast's car." Truth is, X5 is hated by CR because it is unreliable compared to what they perceive as its "competition." I wouldn't have a Japanese SUV if it was given to me, but I'd still like to hold BMW's feet to the fire on the fact that they have been having some real issues lately. I expect more.

My own opinion is that the base Boxster is a hoot. It is a lot different to drive than the S. More about maintaining momentum (not that I'm any good at it). But the mid engine layout has it all over the Z4 in handling. But then, I have a '68 Spitfire, so maybe I'm just attracted by anything with more than 75bhp, a top that goes down, and a rear suspension that jacks on hard cornering.

Last edited by weasel_atty; 03-08-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:27 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
I traded an 08 Cayman for the 11 X5 diesel. The Cayman was a lot of fun but really not an every day driver. But to spend that kind of money on a weekend drive with insurance and maintenance-deprecation was a factor with parting with it. Just depends where your head is and no regrets with the swap.
Mods : Clear Bra-Radar Hard-wired
So far so good-made on Wednesday
Old 03-08-2011, 04:33 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00971.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	269454
Mods : Clear Bra-Radar Hard-wired
So far so good-made on Wednesday
Old 03-08-2011, 11:30 PM

Mein Auto: '10 X5 diesel
I cannot believe CR would rate the X5 so poorly. Although, personally, several of our cars were rated poorly and turned out to be excellent cars; for example, our Suburban and Lincoln LSE. Both have been great with very little to deal with. And my X5 diesel, '10, has 28,000 miles on it now with no problems whatsoever, other than my comfort access locking me out twice But, otherwise, I have absolutely loved this X5. My past 5 series were all great, too. The lousy stereo is my biggest issue I have.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:36 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablue View Post
I cannot believe CR would rate the X5 so poorly. Although, personally, several of our cars were rated poorly and turned out to be excellent cars; for example, our Suburban and Lincoln LSE. Both have been great with very little to deal with. And my X5 diesel, '10, has 28,000 miles on it now with no problems whatsoever, other than my comfort access locking me out twice But, otherwise, I have absolutely loved this X5. My past 5 series were all great, too. The lousy stereo is my biggest issue I have.
Anecdotal accounts of enthusiasts on these forums are not an actual reflection of the real world. CR compiles data from owners that submit their experiences. It can't be coincidence that CR rates certain vehicles poorly and so does JD power or several other publications that evaluate reliability.

We all knew what we were getting into with our purchases and didn't buy them because they were highly likely to be problem free.

'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey