Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '10 X5 diesel
I understand that, but from my own experience their ratings just don't jive with what we've purchased. I do subscribe to their online service, but use their info as just one source of info. Cars, I'm just not in agreement with what they come up with, from my own experience.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
We all knew what we were getting into with our purchases and didn't buy them because they were highly likely to be problem free.
Someone here said the X5 is like a hot woman. Your summary sounds more like the analysis I went through when I had kids.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:08 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahimanic View Post
BMW's are like hot, gorgeous women. They are friggin high maintenance but we all want to have them
Quote:
We all knew what we were getting into with our purchases and didn't buy them because they were highly likely to be problem free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel_atty View Post
Someone here said the X5 is like a hot woman. Your summary sounds more like the analysis I went through when I had kids.
Desire vs obligation. BMW's definitely appeals to the desire side of our brain
5-17-08 ED: 2008 535i Deep Sea Blue, cream beige Dakota, bamboo anthracite, Sp pkg, Premium pkg, sport auto trans, iPod USB, park distance ctrl. 2008 335i Convertible Montego Blue, gray Dakota, black poplar, Sp pkg, Premium pkg, paddle shifters, iPod USB, comfort access.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
BMW's are like hot, gorgeous women. They are friggin high maintenance but we all want to have them
Quote:
Quote:
Desire vs obligation. BMW's definitely appeals to the desire side of our brains
5-17-08 ED: 2008 535i Deep Sea Blue, cream beige Dakota, bamboo anthracite, Sp pkg, Premium pkg, sport auto trans, iPod USB, park distance ctrl. 2008 335i Convertible Montego Blue, gray Dakota, black poplar, Sp pkg, Premium pkg, paddle shifters, iPod USB, comfort access.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 TURBO X5 35i
On my 2008 X5, I had problem where the rear windshield broke into thousand pieces upon automatic rear hatch closing on day 3 of buying that car. Later the dealer tried to fix the same problem where the rear glass kept on pealing away from the metal frame and 4 sheets of paper could be pushed in from the outside.
Within 18 months the rust was eating the hitch inside out.
BMW declined to do a buy - back but offered a super deal on a new 2011 35i, so I went with it.

Now 6 months later with the new one already got the following components replaced:

New Navigation Computer
New SOS microphone
New Battery
New ABS actuator
New Heated Steering wheel
New I Drive controller
New center trim
Brake lines bleed twice

Well now I think 4X4 warning came on twice and went away, so we will see
But I still like the car!
Old 03-09-2011, 01:23 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattmann View Post
On my 2008 X5, I had problem where the rear windshield broke into thousand pieces upon automatic rear hatch closing on day 3 of buying that car. Later the dealer tried to fix the same problem where the rear glass kept on pealing away from the metal frame and 4 sheets of paper could be pushed in from the outside.
Within 18 months the rust was eating the hitch inside out.
BMW declined to do a buy - back but offered a super deal on a new 2011 35i, so I went with it.

Now 6 months later with the new one already got the following components replaced:

New Navigation Computer
New SOS microphone
New Battery
New ABS actuator
New Heated Steering wheel
New I Drive controller
New center trim
Brake lines bleed twice

Well now I think 4X4 warning came on twice and went away, so we will see
But I still like the car!
All I can say is "WOW" and hope that is it for you.
Mods : Clear Bra-Radar Hard-wired
So far so good-made on Wednesday
Old 03-10-2011, 06:18 AM

Mein Auto: 07 X3 and 335i
My 09 lives at the dealer.

Replaced Nav screen
Replaced passeger seat cover
Emissions vapor leak repairs for check engine light
Both fuel gauge sending units to get the gas gauge to work right
2 software updates for misc BS stuff
squeeking steering wheel
Passenger door trim came loose
Replaced DVD player
Heated steering wheel still turns off once and a while

Now I have more problems,
My seat heater lights start flashing at me
Annoying rattle in the dash when the car is at idle that the dealer cant find
still get check engine lights that I just ignor now

But like rattmann I still like it, but I will be out of warranty soon so I will have to get rid of it to save my checkbook.
07 335 coupe - sold
Old 03-10-2011, 07:31 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Desire vs obligation. BMW's definitely appeals to the desire side of our brain

Well, you might agree with the CR data on the X35d then, which puts the 35d in the worst category for reliability, and conversely in the highest category for Owner Satisfaction.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:35 AM

Mein Auto: '05 M3--'11 X5 50i
...didn't stop me, on to my 5th and loving it...!
'08 535i-"never more HPFPs"-sold
'05 ///M3 'vert - my Valium
'11 X5 50i:blck/blck-all the goods, except the M package
Old 03-10-2011, 10:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
My 2011 X5 just spend 3 days broken down in a Manhattan parking garage. The Roadside Assist subcontractor just delivered it to the dealer yesterday afternoon. BMW Roadside is never particularly quick to get a truck out in my experiance but most of the delay was due to the design of the new 8spd auto in the 2011 X5, X3, 5 & & series. The car would not start Monday because of some sort of computer/electronics failure, iDrive & warning lights were showing the AWD error and a transmission error.

I contacted BMW assist at about 7:00 am. The first truck would not fit in the garage, then they sent two, a flatbed and a smaller vehicle to two the car out of the garage which arrived about 2:00pm Monday. They couldn't tow the X5 because the transmission could not be shifted into neutral and there is no manual override on this transmission. BMW Manhattan had to send a tech to loosen some bolts underneath the car. They were reluctant at first but my dealer's service dept (BMW of Darian) made some calls and I started getting regular calls from a very helpful call center employee at BMW Roadside assist and BMW Manhattan sent someone out Tuesday afternoon. Unfortunately the garage staff would not let them touch the car since I was not present so they had to come back Wednesday morning when I could be present (having taken a day off work). Wednesday lunchtime another two vehicle crew arrived. The X5 was towed halfway up the ramp but the small truck was too small and someone had to sit in the X5 pressing down on the foot brake while the small truck was replaced with a flatbed which winched the X5 up onto the flatbed. The truck had to be driven up the ramp before the flatbed could be lifted back up though.

The car is now at the dealer having been out of service for 4 days so far. It has 2300 miles on the odometer. I have owned or leased many BMWs. This has been the worst so far.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrant View Post
My 2011 X5 just spend 3 days broken down in a Manhattan parking garage. The Roadside Assist subcontractor just delivered it to the dealer yesterday afternoon. BMW Roadside is never particularly quick to get a truck out in my experiance but most of the delay was due to the design of the new 8spd auto in the 2011 X5, X3, 5 & & series. The car would not start Monday because of some sort of computer/electronics failure, iDrive & warning lights were showing the AWD error and a transmission error.
I threw these same codes and was told that they were related to insufficient battery power. They basically explained when the battery gets down to such a low level it will throw a multitude of codes incorrectly. I have yet to see the actual work orders but know that they have already replaced my battery with a stronger one, at their suggestion and at their cost. I had another CEL light (but no Idrive warning) and it's back in the shop for the 3rd time in 3 weeks.

Time to start talking about replacing or upgrading with management I think.

'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 03-10-2011, 07:38 PM

Mein Auto: '05 M3--'11 X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrant View Post
My 2011 X5 just spend 3 days broken down in a Manhattan parking garage. This has been the worst so far.
Yikes! Hopefully these are acute issues...certainly I do not want a "replay" of the 535i--what a nightmare.
'08 535i-"never more HPFPs"-sold
'05 ///M3 'vert - my Valium
'11 X5 50i:blck/blck-all the goods, except the M package
Old 03-10-2011, 09:44 PM

I subscribe to Consumer Reports. And, I have to say that their reliability ratings on cars is a bit odd. The reliability is divided into subsections. And, the ratings for each subsection doesn't appear to correlate to the "overall" reliability of the car.

For example, the 2010 X5 3.0i has an average "overall" reliability rating, which is actually pretty good for German cars which is usually below average or poor on Consumer Reports. When you look at each individual subsection, every single one except for one subsection (I think it was the audio system) was above average (good). And, that one subsection was average. Yet, the overall reliability was only average.

Then, you have other cars like the MDX which had an overall reliability of above average/good. But, its subsections are filled with average scores only. And, these cars had less subsections that had above average reliability than the X5. Yet, they had better overall reliability.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:18 AM

Quote:
I threw these same codes and was told that they were related to insufficient battery power. They basically explained when the battery gets down to such a low level it will throw a multitude of codes incorrectly. I have yet to see the actual work orders but know that they have already replaced my battery with a stronger one, at their suggestion and at their cost. I had another CEL light (but no Idrive warning) and it's back in the shop for the 3rd time in 3 weeks.

That is scary. I think it is more than the battery though. I started getting error codes the previous day while I was driving the car. They cleared on a restart though.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:37 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 2007 x3
CR report on BMW reliability

Quote:
Consumer Reports had good thing on MB vs BMW
I guess they are Haters!
autonews.indiacar.com/news/n135632.htm

Check out this link and read a totally different report.

George Allan

Last edited by George Allan; 03-11-2011 at 06:13 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Allan View Post
autonews.indiacar.com/news/n135632.htm

Check out this link and read a totally different report.

George Allan
ADAC is a German auto club. They just might have a bias towards German makes. What do you make of JD Power? http://www.jdpower.com/autos/BMW/X5/2007/SUV/ratings/

Today's latest in my X5 is that the ventilation system refuses to blow through anything except the defroster vents. It's not a car. It's an adventure.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:

My car has now been at the dealer for two days. I have not been told what is wrong with it, just that they were talking to BMW about it. The car will have been out of service for a minimum of eight days by the end of Monday.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 TURBO X5 35i
My love affair with BMW is ending !!

Last edited by rattmann; 03-12-2011 at 08:47 PM. Reason: part of love hate relationship
Old 03-13-2011, 06:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i
Misery loves company!
Old 03-13-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
My love affair with BMW is ending !!
Mine too and I have been buying them since 1994.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:47 PM

Mein Auto: 5
When I posted on the owner's section about how I nearly lemoned my 4runner some one at CS deleted it.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:53 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Man o man it's threads like this was why I was so nervous about getting the X5. I know you are not making this stuff up and it really is too bad you should have such trouble. I hope it gets better somehow. For anyone that is thinking about the X5 all I can say that for me it's been good but as you can see there are the hit and miss in every brand. What you looking for at the very least is good service when things get crazy. BMW needs to stand up and take care of things and bring some honor back to their badge. It's about the service man.
Mods : Clear Bra-Radar Hard-wired
So far so good-made on Wednesday

Last edited by georgejm; 03-13-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgejm View Post
Man o man it's threads like this was why I was so nervous about getting the X5. I know you are not making this stuff up and it really is too bad you should have such trouble. I hope it gets better somehow. For anyone that is thinking about the X5 all I can say that for me it's been good but as you can see there are the hit and miss in every brand. What you looking for at the very least is good service when things get crazy. BMW needs to stand up and take care of things and bring some honor back to their badge. It's about the service man.
This is the only reason I'm still dealing with this vehicle at all. The service experience at Calgary BMW has been head and shoulders above anything else we've encountered at Mercedes and even Lexus. Anything further and I'll be looking to get out of this one asap.

'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 03-13-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
This is the only reason I'm still dealing with this vehicle at all. The service experience at Calgary BMW has been head and shoulders above anything else we've encountered at Mercedes and even Lexus. Anything further and I'll be looking to get out of this one asap.
I wish I had your experience with my local dealer. I get much better service at my local MB dealership on my CL55 than I get at BMW for my X5.

The last straw for me was having the well known "excessive battery drain" issue, and having my local dealer blame my wife for daring to use the X5 to drive to the market and to the kids' school. She was told she wasn't driving enough, they were not going to cover any repair, and she should idle the car in the garage. It is unbelievably stupid to blame your customer. When I go to the MB dealer, they do everything short of arranging a date with the pretty young receptionist to make sure I'm happy. And I bet if I asked they would hook that up as well.

I'm disappointed with the reliability (I've had three other BMWs and they were bulletproof), and I'm disappointed with the inability to admit they have sold me a pup and make it right.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
I wish I had your experience with my local dealer. I get much better service at my local MB dealership on my CL55 than I get at BMW for my X5.

The last straw for me was having the well known "excessive battery drain" issue, and having my local dealer blame my wife for daring to use the X5 to drive to the market and to the kids' school. She was told she wasn't driving enough, they were not going to cover any repair, and she should idle the car in the garage. It is unbelievably stupid to blame your customer. When I go to the MB dealer, they do everything short of arranging a date with the pretty young receptionist to make sure I'm happy. And I bet if I asked they would hook that up as well.

I'm disappointed with the reliability (I've had three other BMWs and they were bulletproof), and I'm disappointed with the inability to admit they have sold me a pup and make it right.
Just goes to show that it's much more about management at a dealership versus the brand itself. Good luck with your X5.

At the end of the day it's just a vehicle. There are much more important things in life than our vehicle issues.

'10 X5 35d Space Grey