Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 03-06-2011, 07:20 PM
resident dj

Mein Auto: '08 E83 Sport
Day trip in a Jeep Liberty

I got my X3 about a month an a half ago, and reading this forum made me a little paranoid. Plus I am (was) constantly aware of bumpy ride and gas milage... until yesterday.

Went snowboarding on local mountains in my friends '07 Jeep Liberty. And let me tell you... my X3 now feels like it glides above ground while using no gas whatsoever

If you think that your X3 is bumpy, just drive a Liberty and compare. That thing feels like its wheels are bolted straight onto the frame.
Gas milage? What gas milage? 10mpg city and 15mpg highway with a V6 engine.

Car has 40K miles on it and already on its 3rd(!!!) transmission and 2nd transfer case.
Seat heaters replaced in both front seats. The one on drivers side just stopped working and the passenger side burned a hole through leather and his GF's pants. So this is not a BMW-only issue.

He also said that both front speakers need a replacement every 6-8 months.

So thank you very much, I will stick with my X3
Old 03-07-2011, 01:50 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by solefald View Post
I got my X3 about a month an a half ago, and reading this forum made me a little paranoid. Plus I am (was) constantly aware of bumpy ride and gas milage... until yesterday.

Went snowboarding on local mountains in my friends '07 Jeep Liberty. And let me tell you... my X3 now feels like it glides above ground while using no gas whatsoever

If you think that your X3 is bumpy, just drive a Liberty and compare. That thing feels like its wheels are bolted straight onto the frame.
Gas milage? What gas milage? 10mpg city and 15mpg highway with a V6 engine.

Car has 40K miles on it and already on its 3rd(!!!) transmission and 2nd transfer case.
Seat heaters replaced in both front seats. The one on drivers side just stopped working and the passenger side burned a hole through leather and his GF's pants. So this is not a BMW-only issue.

He also said that both front speakers need a replacement every 6-8 months.

So thank you very much, I will stick with my X3
I had to have my X3 bumper detailed some months ago. They gave me a brand new Ford Escape with all the bells and whistles. I felt like I was driving my grandmothers Delta 88. No road feel. Felt like I was moving in slow motion through jello.

Really makes you appreciate your X3 after driving another suv.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 03-07-2011, 07:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Was this a 4WD Liberty or a plain jane? 4WD Jeeps are of course built for different purposes than the "soft roader" X3's. Not surprised that the frame feels bolted to the axles, as that is the way my '06 X3 feels on very rough roads. In any event the Liberty is about half the cost of the X3 and one would say not in the same class at all. Perhaps a comparo between the JGC might have been more appropriate. I am now suffering through a SES light problem on my '06 that has the car in the shop for the past 5 days. No one can find anything wrong, but it throws a code. Now the gnomes of Bavaria are being called in to find the problem. In the intrim I have a brand new 328 with 2K miles on it. A delightful car, but way too low for me. I really miss the high driving position of the SUV/SAV. Drove it up to the Coppola winery/spa in Geyserville, then back through Alexander Valley (heart of the NoCoast winery area -- aside from St Helena) great trip and even with RFT's it was wonderfully supple and drove very well. Not quite as well as my father's Olds 88 Convert which I loved dearly and wish I had, but still decent for a sporty sedan.

Last edited by UncleJ; 03-07-2011 at 07:21 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:53 AM
resident dj

Mein Auto: '08 E83 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Was this a 4WD Liberty or a plain jane? 4WD Jeeps are of course built for different purposes than the "soft roader" X3's. Not surprised that the frame feels bolted to the axles, as that is the way my '06 X3 feels on very rough roads.
It was a 4WD, but the trip was all highway from start to finish.

As far as Grand Cherokee, I was on Maui last year and had it as a rental. I didn't own my X3 back then, so had nothing to compare it to, except the E92. We did some minor off-pavement driving, and it was pretty harsh. The island is small, but we still managed to go through 2 tanks of gas in 1 week. Even though it looked pretty decent on the outside, everything inside was cheap and plastic. Yes, it was a basic configuration rental, but I can't imagine that their fully loaded models would come with a different dashboard, knobs, handles and door panels.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3
reading these forums I get a kick out of the complaints about the harsh ride.
I too had previously owned a 4x4 Liberty and its ride is way worse than my X3 and I have the year (2004) thats supposed to have the worst ride of all the X3s!

No comparison. X3, hands down is a better ride IMO.

Oh and a loaded Liberty, though clearly less expensive than an X3, is still not that cheap.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3
I was the not so proud driver of 3 different Jeep Liberty's and a Jeep Patriot for my company cars for years. I disliked the Jeeps so much that even though I was getting a free car, I went out and bought a second car (BMW 328xi, now BMW X3). Like one poster stated, the Jeep Liberty is not that cheap and is in the high 20's now if I am not mistaken. And even though the ride on the Jeep is horrible, the ride in my X3 bothers me a lot more. In a Jeep, you expect the bumpy, bouncy ride cause of the frame it is built on and it is not a luxury vehicle. For a BMW that is supposed to be a luxury vehicle and a lot more money, the ride is extremely disappointing and not enjoyable....especially on the bumpy pot hole roads in Mass.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:42 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
I appreciated the suspension today on my drive out to Snowshoe in WV. West of Staunton thru to WV, US 250 crosses 3 mountain ranges and I really appreciated the road-hugging "hunkered down" feel and good steering feel as I climbed and descended. xDrive came in handy, since they had coal cinders on the slushy roads so it was working quite a bit at times. Never felt the ride was poor.

I do wish I had a diesel though. The 2,5 liter petrol was on overtime duty for sure. Barely made it up the ski resort access road.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:44 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Was this a 4WD Liberty or a plain jane? 4WD Jeeps are of course built for different purposes than the "soft roader" X3's. Not surprised that the frame feels bolted to the axles, as that is the way my '06 X3 feels on very rough roads. In any event the Liberty is about half the cost of the X3 and one would say not in the same class at all. Perhaps a comparo between the JGC might have been more appropriate. I am now suffering through a SES light problem on my '06 that has the car in the shop for the past 5 days. No one can find anything wrong, but it throws a code. Now the gnomes of Bavaria are being called in to find the problem. In the intrim I have a brand new 328 with 2K miles on it. A delightful car, but way too low for me. I really miss the high driving position of the SUV/SAV. Drove it up to the Coppola winery/spa in Geyserville, then back through Alexander Valley (heart of the NoCoast winery area -- aside from St Helena) great trip and even with RFT's it was wonderfully supple and drove very well. Not quite as well as my father's Olds 88 Convert which I loved dearly and wish I had, but still decent for a sporty sedan.
Had a Grand Jeep Cherokee 05 and trade it in at a loss after 9 months. I would take my 07 AT X3 before I would own that POS again.

No power, guzzled gas, shoot the fabric of the seats stained after rainwater got on them. I had a firggin prius blow by me. Never ever ever will I get one again. So short story--no comparison.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 03-08-2011, 06:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Evl, the JGC seems to inspire a love/hate relationship more than anything else. I have two relatives who have had a string of them over the years and swear by them and would have nothing else. Another friend had one that, like yours, was a POS. I guess its the luck of the draw.
ri, the Jeep Liberty is just north of $27K loaded now. However (at least here) they are heavily discounted -- hence my suggestion that they "were half the price". That was probably an exaggeration as they are closer to 2/3 the price of a stripper X3. In any case they are a utilitarian sort of ride, a little better than the Wrangler, but less than the JGC and are good for what they are a very capable off road 4x4 IMHO.

Last edited by UncleJ; 03-08-2011 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:37 AM
Bleed blue and white

Send a message via Yahoo to T1T2GRE
Mein Auto: 2011 1 Series M Coupe
My first new vehicle ever was an '02 Liberty and I liked it for what it was. I was able to get a manual gearbox w/6 cyl etc. It was comfy and fit well for my outdoor hobbies. Very Spartan interior etc. Reasonably priced for everything I got (offroad package, upgrade stereo). I had no real maintenance issues with the exception of a recall for the front control arms (replaced for free obv). The only overal issue was that the gas mileage was abysmal, as one would expect when you're lugging around a true 4WD vehicle. This was countered by great off-road capability.

The E83, however, was a better overall fit. Most of our mileage is really highway and street, unless you are truly living in the boonies, so true 4WD is probably not really all that useful for the average Joe. AWD IMHO does much better in the snow anyway.

If I had to pare it back down to basics again, I could probably tolerate the '02 Liberty for what it was. Different animals.