Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 08-23-2014, 11:35 PM

Mein Auto: BMW x5
Need help please...quickly?

I hit the wrong forum before...thank you for the correction.

I got the BMW bug when I was 10 years old. I have over 100 pictures I took when I was a child.

Fast forward.....5 years ago I leased an x3 and I was in heaven.

I knew I wanted to own one. I got a 1995 x5 with 20,000 miles and rocked the price and had my dream car.

Today....FATE??? I went to a store I only visit once every 3 months or so and a Beemer was in the abandoned parking lot across the street where "for sale by owners" park them due to major traffic.

I saw the front of the 1991 535i and melted. I almost never get out since I work at home and for other reasons but it pulled me. I called the number and the guy was there in 5 mins. He handed me the keys. What???? I flipped cars with my grandfather for 10 years and we never trusted anyone like this. He said take it on the highway and you can hit 120. I was way too nervous to do that....anyway....I NEED HELP.

My husband is so against this but I feel like (for many reasons) this car is talking to me. I researched and couldn't find another one for sale anywhere!

535i, 121,00 miles, 1991, needs body work and a complete paint job. Muffler is dead to the world. Under the hood is really clean. With my experience I figure it would take about $5,000 to get it to a point where I would be proud in driving it. He wants 2,400. I would offer 2,000.

Sure it's always about what makes us happy. But in a financial sense....if I were to restore it .... would it be more of a luxury to do so or a possible financial investment?

Please no flames here. Just honesty about the car and value?

You can email me at corajacks@gmail.com if you'd like to talk privately and see some pictures.

Thank you all.

Cora
Advertisement
Old 08-23-2014, 11:40 PM
Got Beemer?

Mein Auto: 1990 BMW 535I
535i is not going to book over 4k in my opinion even if in good shape. It would be more of a personal stand at that point if you want to invest the full 5k in the future.

Alpina
Old 08-24-2014, 12:01 AM
Every Ricers Nemesis

Mein Auto: 87 528e, 94 540i/6
I agree with Alpina535i on this one. Unless you could do the work yourself you'd be better off finding one in better shape. Although I have spent twice the amount of money on my car than it was worth but I felt like it was all worth it but that's only because I did the work myself and I knew the work was done right. And no I would not consider it a good investment. Also your good on the price at $2000 providing it has a clean interior with no tears in the seats, but the car will never be worth more than $3000. But if its something you have to have I know just how you feel. Ive had 3 bimmers sofar and havnt regretted getting a single one of them.

99 328is Avus blue sold
87 528e with 455k miles and still running hard from death
94 540i swapped to 6 speed awesomeness

Most of what you need to know for a manual conversion
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=768139

Last edited by TexHun; 08-24-2014 at 12:06 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535i 1989
I really like my 535i, but with that said I agree with what has been said, if you want it great but it is not a financial help. At least in the near future it is not going to be worth more then 4 to 5000. In 5 to 10 years it might be worth more. The e28s are finally going up in price, starting to see 528e and 535i going for 7 to 9000, but that still does not cover the 5000 you want/expect to put in. Also is it an autotragic or a manual? If Manual great, if autotragic I would pass.

Andy
Old 08-24-2014, 09:59 AM

Mein Auto: BMW x5
Thank you all--from both threads! This is a great community and I will have to come here more often as I continue to do work on my X5.

I suppose I sort of knew that this was more of an emotional purchase rather than an investment. I was just hoping (maybe!) that I might get some information here that I could use to stop my husband from screaming at me about it!

My grandfather and I restored/repaired many cars over the years so I can do a lot on my own. But of course I can't do the paint job or replace the front windshield.

The seller was surprised that I knew something was wrong with the front right rotor just by driving it and asked him to pull the backseat so I could see the battery and wiring there. Then I climbed under it and saw the hole in the muffler LOL But for being an Ohio car it has almost no rust on it. He didn't like to drive it in the winter so it didn't see much, if any, of our precious salt! And it is NOT manual--to answer your question.

It's funny that during this journey I was so ticked I looked up the value of my husband's "project" over the years that *I* found and bought for him. It was a crap RZ350. He worked on it for years. I'm not sure how much he put into it but when I saw one (exactly like his) for sale online for $15,000 I about flipped! Now I have to look more into that!

I guess I have to leave this one alone. but gosh, don't you just love the front ends on these cars? Totally classic. THIS is the car I fell in love with when I was 10 years old!

So thank you all again. I guess I'll meander over to the x5 forum and get some information on the radio I want to replace and some other things that I can't figure out. (And neither can any mechanic!)

Have a wonderful day!
Cora
Old 08-24-2014, 11:10 AM

Mein Auto: 04/1997 528i Auto,
I do enjoy the more agressive boxy look of the E34, but really fell inlove with the E30, ended up in the E39 with its smooth curves and bad boy mafioso looks.. Where I grew up during the 90's we had a wave of eastern european immigrants. Along with the immigrants came some of the older establushed crime elements, the hot shot russian mobsters in the area prefered either Mercedes E class or E39 540i and 530i. Seeing these guys with their black bimmers and dark suits with flashy silk shirts made me want an E39, but I would trade the E39 for an E34 in simular condition, the only problem is not being able to find one in a suitable condition. The winters in Nebraska must have been too hard on them. Because they all look like they've been through the grinder.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:00 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDeGraff89 View Post
I do enjoy the more agressive boxy look of the E34, but really fell inlove with the E30, ended up in the E39 with its smooth curves and bad boy mafioso looks.. Where I grew up during the 90's we had a wave of eastern european immigrants. Along with the immigrants came some of the older establushed crime elements, the hot shot russian mobsters in the area prefered either Mercedes E class or E39 540i and 530i. Seeing these guys with their black bimmers and dark suits with flashy silk shirts made me want an E39, but I would trade the E39 for an E34 in simular condition, the only problem is not being able to find one in a suitable condition. The winters in Nebraska must have been too hard on them. Because they all look like they've been through the grinder.
I was born in 1990, I lived in the Ukraine until I was 12. The local mafia sure did love their BMWs. My dad was affiliated with some of these people. Some of the cars that really stood out to me from two local mobsters were the E34 530 and the E32 750. As the time went on slowly the E39s and E38s moved in, but it was the E34 that made me fall in love with BMWs.

98 540i (6MT)
Custom intake
De-catted
DUDMD Tune
Old 08-24-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00black540i View Post
I was born in 1990, I lived in the Ukraine until I was 12. The local mafia sure did love their BMWs. My dad was affiliated with some of these people. Some of the cars that really stood out to me from two local mobsters were the E34 530 and the E32 750. As the time went on slowly the E39s and E38s moved in, but it was the E34 that made me fall in love with BMWs.
My first illegal firearm was purchased out of the trunk of an E38.. Lol it was later left in the trunk of a rusted cadillac deville in a junk yard.. I decided I really didn't need it :P
Old 08-24-2014, 09:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 135i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00black540i View Post
Mine has some Russian CDs still in the trunk mount changer. I should probably burn the trunk liner I removed...
Old 08-24-2014, 09:07 PM

What kind of CDs? Russian rap? Russian classical? Did Seatle get as many eastern europeans as Portland did? They brought good food. And even some Ladas!! Have you ever gotten to drive a Lada?? Its excrutiating.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:45 PM
Every Ricers Nemesis

Mein Auto: 87 528e, 94 540i/6
Dont get me started on Russians LOL!! Some Russian guys have a e30 shop just down the road from my friends shop in Sacramento. The e34 has always been my dream car although the e28 also has always had a concrete place in my life. (OO=[]=OO) Ill bet those dudes were blasting Vitas in there cars just like I do from time to time.

99 328is Avus blue sold
87 528e with 455k miles and still running hard from death
94 540i swapped to 6 speed awesomeness

Most of what you need to know for a manual conversion
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=768139

Last edited by TexHun; 08-24-2014 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 135i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDeGraff89 View Post
What kind of CDs? Russian rap? Russian classical? Did Seatle get as many eastern europeans as Portland did? They brought good food. And even some Ladas!! Have you ever gotten to drive a Lada?? Its excrutiating.

Seattle not as much but Bellevue and Lynnwood have a pretty big Eastern European community. I saw a guy dressed like a gopnik in my neighborhood once (track suit, jewelry, black escalade) he stood out like a donkey riding a bike! We don't see much of that in North Beach. CDs were all techno and pop.

I've seen a few ladas, never had a chance to drive one.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app