Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 08-22-2014, 12:17 AM
Just this guy, you know?

Mein Auto: 1994 525i
Auto trans dipstick?

When you read the title, I'll bet you thought I was going to ask where it was, didn't you? Well, no... Maybe not the one you were thinking of, exactly. I'm fully aware that the 4L30E was not equipped with a dipstick. That's why I raised an eyebrow at this:

#15 appears to be a dipstick! I found that on this page. Apparently, at least the ECE region got them? So now I'm making a shopping list.

#13 p/n 24111218267 - Grommet
#14 p/n 24111218416 - Oil fill-in tube
#15 p/n 24111218418 - Dipstick

All of the above can be acquired for under $50. Am I discovering old information, here? Has anyone thought of this, or heard of someone who has? I've searched, and I haven't found anyone talking about drilling a hole in their transmission to retrofit a dipstick.
Advertisement
Old 08-22-2014, 06:33 AM
Nothin like an E34

Mein Auto: 95 540i B/B
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewdane View Post
When you read the title, I'll bet you thought I was going to ask where it was, didn't you? Well, no... Maybe not the one you were thinking of, exactly. I'm fully aware that the 4L30E was not equipped with a dipstick. That's why I raised an eyebrow at this:

#15 appears to be a dipstick! I found that on this page. Apparently, at least the ECE region got them? So now I'm making a shopping list.

#13 p/n 24111218267 - Grommet
#14 p/n 24111218416 - Oil fill-in tube
#15 p/n 24111218418 - Dipstick

All of the above can be acquired for under $50. Am I discovering old information, here? Has anyone thought of this, or heard of someone who has? I've searched, and I haven't found anyone talking about drilling a hole in their transmission to retrofit a dipstick.
Certain models did get a dipstick, most did not, although it would have been nice to have one.

Gotta love an E34!!
If you want to get junkyard parts remember one thing, if it was wrecked you know it was running/driving. You may not know how well, but it was.

READ THE STICKIES AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE!!

STOMP TEST

READ ME IM THE BIBLE

FAN CLUTCH

LOCKS

ANGEL EYES

Audio
Old 08-22-2014, 09:29 AM

Mein Auto: '81 745i, '97 540i Dinan
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewdane View Post
I thought about it Having a dipstick also makes it easier to fill the trans, too.

Bought my E34 with a known bad 4L30E. While I had the trans out of the car, I looked at that area of the trans case and it was blank. I think it would need an accurately machined hole, not just "grab your drill".. At that angle it can't be done with the trans in place anyway.

Someone makes a kit to add a dipstick for $150 or so (believe it needs a hole in the side of the pan).
Old 08-22-2014, 09:17 PM
Just this guy, you know?

Mein Auto: 1994 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCharles View Post
Someone makes a kit to add a dipstick for $150 or so (believe it needs a hole in the side of the pan).
I assume you're referring to this? I saw that, but I'm not sure how specific a dipstick tube is, in terms of model or transmission.
My transmission needs to be replaced, and I have a junkyard unit on my garage floor. I'm not under any illusion that this mod could be done with the trans in place, but I'm toying with the notion of getting a dipstick tube, putting the upper mounting tab on the bellhousing, and seeing where the other end winds up. There's a rubber grommet (p/n 24111218267) that goes into the factory hole on transmissions that were so equipped, so there may be some tolerance for sloppiness.