Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 06-08-2014, 02:41 PM
Wrenchin' guy

Mein Auto: 92 525i
Cool Old Problem, did search, just querying

Hey folks!

cpn here, as I wrote in a previous post, got myself another E34, am seeing some peculiarites with the performance and seeing how I have read all the related posts with regard to the ugly "TRANS PROGRAM" symptom here on this forum, I thought I might share some things as to what is causing MY particular issue.( E34 1992 525i, Auto tranny).
Overall, since changing plugs, oil, filters, new tires and I have cleaned it up greatly with suspension parts on order to eliminate "clunking" from stabilizer bar which the top securing bolt and nut are stripped on the right side, the car is really running great. Not a hot rod, but runs really smooth minus the topic of this thread.

1. Since I have recently bought the car from a dis-interested owner, I have not found out how long its been since trans filter and fluid has been changed. I intend to do so next week.

2. Hopefully with the low mileage (150K) on it I wont have to mess with the Neutral Safety Switch (i.e. contacts worn, burnt, etc). But if I don't resolve through other means, I will endeavor to tackle that.

3. Solenoid swap? is this a good thing? (will research and if so will do with filter and fluid replacement).

4. Stomp test, I have not done so yet, I will after posting this and re-address on this thread.

So, with that all being stated afore-hand I would like to describe the actual symptom which triggers the "TRANS PROGRAM" code in my case.

Obviously when the car is cold (ie. not run more than 3 minutes or so to warm it up), and I hit the gas to accelerate, it immediately trips the "TRANS PROGRAM" code.......ok ok yes its 1992, unknown as to trans fluid age , level etc etc.
However, after stopping, shutting off the car, waiting like 30 seconds key out of ignition , then restart code is clear(at least on dash). I then drive normal for say next 20 min or so, then I know whole engine and drivetrain are up to temperature, and while on highway punch it again from say doing 65mph and let it wind up to (yes i know its over the speed limit, but I am testing the tranny and whole car) say 110-120mph and the "TRANS PROGRAM" does NOT come on. Hmmm. interesting.
Ok, so I know now that whilst I am traveling at a decent rate of speed AND the car is warm i don't get the code. Now, a different scenario......

SO the car is warm, I have done some errands, to various places, you know this deal.. go to this shop, that store, the fast food joint, etc etc, so the car is warm .......I get on to freeway ramp after all this (code is cleared and car is warm), and punch it on the on-ramp and guess what? "TRANS PROGRAM" comes on.......hmmmmmm...now again I am NOT up to speed like I was before, but accelerating from a low speed to get to hwy speed or above.
The car still will accelerate to say 70 80 on highway, not at a quick rate, but it does accell. One thing about this particular situation tho, is the instant fuel mileage gauge reads like 20mph vs. like 25-30 mpg when the car is NOT in "TRANS PROGRAM" mode. That in particular is not a concern, what is bothersome to me is the car will run as fast as I want it to go, albeit through gradual and slow acceleration and it wont trigger the code, but the moment I try to "HIT-IT" on the gas at LOW SPEED ONLY, warm or cold, the code sets.

As I said before the car is truly running great, its just this odd symptom when I do try to punch the gas at a lower speed to get to the GO FAST mode.

Oh yeah, it sure does "LIMP" when the code is set, as if I get off freeway and at a stop light and heve to say go left or right or strraight, she sorta chugs her way through, basically very slow beast. Then I turn off, take out key wait 30 sec and start back up and she back to normal.

soooo, barring the fluid/filter change, the solenoid, or the DME, is it possible the Valve Body is going? OR, is there something else I should look for? Battery and Alternator are excellent. Unknown about the EPROM, I guess I will have to look at the part number installed (based on the Bulletin I read on posts here) And like I said, I have read many, many , many threads with regard to the problem, I am just trying to see if there is something I may have missed, or there is something peculiar about my symptom.

Any and all comments welcome folks! great to be back.

Cheers!

cpnwrench
Ads by Google
Old 06-08-2014, 03:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E36
Try changing the dme relay first. Get a new oem unit. Second, unplug the tps. On your transmission, doing so will not trigger the trans frog, and if the tps is the problem, it will not reappear in all those situations you mentioned. Quick and easy test. Thirdly you should check for tranny fluid leaks, and the quality of the oil. Low fluid could be a reason. Fourthly, you can use the tcu harness clamp to test the valve body's solenoids and sensors for correct resistances both hot and cold...you will need the electrical troubleshooting manual for your transmission.
Scan the car with something that can read the detailed EGS codes. These are codes specific to the transmission. The stomp test does not reflect this.

Before all of this, do the stomp test and see what else shows up.

Your problem seems to be mild, minor, and relatively easily fixable with little if any wastage. So take heart, plan your work, and move through it efficiently and you should find and fix the problem before too long.

Everyone with an autobox is encouraged to purchase a used known good valve body and keep in reserve in case this becomes necessary. A sizable number of expensive tranny issues are valve body related. A good used vb should cost $150-$200 and it can be resold anytime for the same price so you're not losing anything.

Last edited by capricornbmw; 06-08-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:29 PM
Nothin like an E34

Mein Auto: 95 540i B/B
I think of TPS first, look at my sig for stomp

Gotta love an E34!!
If you want to get junkyard parts remember one thing, if it was wrecked you know it was running/driving. You may not know how well, but it was.

READ THE STICKIES AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE!!

STOMP TEST

READ ME IM THE BIBLE

FAN CLUTCH

LOCKS

ANGEL EYES
Old 06-08-2014, 04:06 PM
Wrenchin' guy

Well, well,well, guess what!

ran stomp test, and no problems from that perspective, other than MASS AIR Sensor.

I will be ordering one tonight. I saw when I was detailing engine after purchasing it looked a bit like it had been manhandled, roughed up a bit, or whatever. but yeah even after I cleared the codes, then took the car for a spin the same code came up (1215).

is it posible that due to this sort-of-malfunction, it could be triggering the "TRANS PROGRAM" at the rapid accell times????

Maybe due to mis information for fuel-air delivery?

meanwhile, thanks Capricorn and Zombie for your great replies, good to be part of a knowledgeable forum!

I am thinking if, the Mass Air sensor is replaced, I may see a marked improvement all around.

I will post more info as I find it with regard to this problem!

Cheers!

cpnwrench
Old 06-08-2014, 04:13 PM
Wrenchin' guy

OR, could "Cleaning" the sensor result in better action?

hmmmm........am thinking a highly evaporative cleaner (carb/choke cleaner?)

thoughts?

thanks!

Cheers!

cpnwrench
Old 06-08-2014, 04:44 PM
Nothin like an E34

You can try to clean it, some have succeeded.
Are you sure that was the only code?
You have to force it to the next code most times.

Gotta love an E34!!
If you want to get junkyard parts remember one thing, if it was wrecked you know it was running/driving. You may not know how well, but it was.

STOMP TEST

READ ME IM THE BIBLE

FAN CLUTCH

LOCKS

ANGEL EYES
Old 06-08-2014, 06:04 PM
Wrenchin' guy

Hey Zombie....thanks for the quick reply! No, there is only one code.

and what the crap happens when I remove the airbox/mas sensor etc? the heater temp sensor posts break off ( typical) happened to me before.

so now I have a clean MASS AIR Sensor but have to wait for the JB weld to set on the temp sensor thingy ma bob before I can see if it clears the code when I run it and see if it affects the inital symptom of "TRANS PROGRAM".

TIME WILL TELL, WILL KEEP POSTING!

Cheers!

cpnwrench
Old 06-09-2014, 07:53 AM
Wrenchin' guy

WOW! Folks, for those who have replied, I want to express my sincere thanks for the helpful hints!
I solved the "TRANS PROGRAM" issue I was having!
Interestingly enough, after doing the "stomp" test and retreiving the codes, in my case it was 1215- Mass Air Sensor, so as I had written earlier, I decided to remove it for cleaning.
in the process of dis-assembling the AIR box and throttle body hose attachments, I had, during the twisting up of the AIR box, managed to snap off the two hose attachment feeds into the coolant sensor which is screwed into the AIR box. SO, i had to wait until this morning to re-assemble and test.
Meanwhile, I used Brake-Kleen solven and sprayed the Be-jesus out of the MASS Air Sensor assembly. I decided on the Brake Kleen as it evaporates quickly and leaves no residue.
I then used JB Weld to re-assemble the thermo housing for the AIR box. I let it set overnight and it is as hard as a rock.
SO this AM, I re-assemble everything, (being VERY careful not to twist too extreme the coolant hoses re-attached to the thermo housing) and made sure everything was buttoned up good and snug.
I then started up the car, let it get above the cold mark and went for a test drive.
The immediate effect of the cleaning of the MASS AIR Sensor was nothing short of AMAZING! the pickup I had been missing was back and it was simply wonderful!
At least 50% improvement over what I had been getting.
I then after various neighborhood streets getting the car up to temp (ensuring the tranny was warm), i then navigated to the interstate on ramp, and PUNCHED it.
WOW! like a scalded ape! and NO "TRANS PROGRAM" !!!!!
I thought maybe this was a fluke, so I got off the I-state, then backtracked towards home.
at one stop light I then punched it from dead stop ( previously this was the primary trigger for the "TRANS PROGRAM" code to be set), and it revved up perfect and I was at 65 before I knew it. !!! NO "TRANS PROGRAM" code!!!!!!
WOW!
So, lesson learned here, just wanted to share, that you guys are right, the stomp test is a real method for at LEAST preliminary symptom resolution!
Also, the second benefit for the cleaning of the MASS AIR Sensor, as I was on the I-state, I put cruise on 70MPH.....I then noticed the revs were significantly lower and the "INSTANT" fuel reading gauge was showing nearly 30MPG Vs. less than 25MPG i was showing previously.
What a difference! Plus I saved myself $200.00 in the short term for the purchase of a MASS AIR Sensor.
Just wanted to share, and I do hope this tale helps others!
Cheers!

cpnwrench
Old 06-09-2014, 07:57 AM
Wrenchin' guy

WOW! Folks, for those who have replied, I want to express my sincere thanks for the helpful hints!
I solved the "TRANS PROGRAM" issue I was having!
Interestingly enough, after doing the "stomp" test and retreiving the codes, in my case it was 1215- Mass Air Sensor, so as I had written earlier, I decided to remove it for cleaning.
in the process of dis-assembling the AIR box and throttle body hose attachments, I had, during the twisting up of the AIR box, managed to snap off the two hose attachment feeds into the coolant sensor which is screwed into the AIR box. SO, i had to wait until this morning to re-assemble and test.
Meanwhile, I used Brake-Kleen solven and sprayed the Be-jesus out of the MASS Air Sensor assembly. I decided on the Brake Kleen as it evaporates quickly and leaves no residue.
I then used JB Weld to re-assemble the thermo housing for the AIR box. I let it set overnight and it is as hard as a rock.
SO this AM, I re-assemble everything, (being VERY careful not to twist too extreme the coolant hoses re-attached to the thermo housing) and made sure everything was buttoned up good and snug.
I then started up the car, let it get above the cold mark and went for a test drive.
The immediate effect of the cleaning of the MASS AIR Sensor was nothing short of AMAZING! the pickup I had been missing was back and it was simply wonderful!
At least 50% improvement over what I had been getting.
I then after various neighborhood streets getting the car up to temp (ensuring the tranny was warm), i then navigated to the interstate on ramp, and PUNCHED it.
WOW! like a scalded ape! and NO "TRANS PROGRAM" !!!!!
I thought maybe this was a fluke, so I got off the I-state, then backtracked towards home.
at one stop light I then punched it from dead stop ( previously this was the primary trigger for the "TRANS PROGRAM" code to be set), and it revved up perfect and I was at 65 before I knew it. !!! NO "TRANS PROGRAM" code!!!!!!
WOW!
So, lesson learned here, just wanted to share, that you guys are right, the stomp test is a real method for at LEAST preliminary symptom resolution!
Also, the second benefit for the cleaning of the MASS AIR Sensor, as I was on the I-state, I put cruise on 70MPH.....I then noticed the revs were significantly lower and the "INSTANT" fuel reading gauge was showing nearly 30MPG Vs. less than 25MPG i was showing previously.
What a difference! Plus I saved myself $200.00 in the short term for the purchase of a MASS AIR Sensor.
Just wanted to share, and I do hope this tale helps others!

Cheers!

cpnwrench
Old 06-09-2014, 07:58 AM
Wrenchin' guy

don't know if my posts are being discarded, but everytime i refresh I dont show my last post how I solved issue....interesting.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:30 AM
Nothin like an E34

Congrats!!

Gotta love an E34!!

STOMP TEST

READ ME IM THE BIBLE

FAN CLUTCH

LOCKS

ANGEL EYES
Old 06-11-2014, 12:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E36
This would be the first time that a trans frog has been killed with an maf cleaning or replacement, or where a trans frog appeared due to an maf issue. And we have seen many such issues here.

Are you sure you did not do anything else? Did you clean the tps? Its contacts are also cleaned with brakleen and a toothbrush. The tps's switch too.

I think your issue is still out there and you should monitor and take preventive action regardless that you just caught a break. Change the tps and the main relay. While you're at it do the fp relay too (but then you're an old dog here so you probably already know all about that).

Cheers.