Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 07-11-2016, 06:09 AM
BMW "Black Bullet" Driver

Mein Auto: BMW 524 TDiesel E34 1989
Can I swap a cluster for a manual gearbox with one for an automatic?

Hello, everybody,

I have a BMW 524 Turbo Diesel with 5-speed manual gearbox from 1989. I'm still having problems getting my instrument cluster working and finding a replacement!

I have now seen a second-hand cluster available in Germany. The part number on the back 92203007 is the same and it's for a 524td with mechanical odometer like mine. But at the bottom of the back of the cluster for sale is a small extra unit not on mine which looks like it lights up the display P D R 321 etc., for an automatic gearbox. The firm selling it says they cannot say whether having this module will affect the correct functioning of the cluster on my car with a manual gearbox.

Has anyone on the forum swapped out a cluster for one which works with an automatic gearbox - does the cluster just work and ignore the module or does it cause problems?

Thanks for your help and here are some photos!
Astra.

My-BMW-524td-cluster
BMW-524td-cluster-for-sale
My-cluster-front

Last edited by AstraDoud; 07-11-2016 at 06:10 AM.
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2016, 01:03 PM
BMW "Black Bullet" Driver

Mein Auto: BMW 524 TDiesel E34 1989
As an update on this, a member of this forum let me know it was perfectly OK to buy the cluster for an automatic from Germany. As a second-hand part there was no guarantee it would work and indeed the circuit board half didn't work properly! But FORTUNATELY the odometer is in working condition (and that's what we were looking for) so we've combined our own circuit board half with the front half from Germany with the counters and odo and now have a working cluster! The automatic module was no problem at all. It is entirely separate and we just unclipped and removed it.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
bmw, cluster, e34, instrument

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)
Today's Posts Search