Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 03-08-2011, 09:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 525i, Corvette, 530i
M50 Vanos rebuild

So Gents and the few lovely gals in this forum,

After inspecting my vanos unit, it appears I will have to replace the seals and the outer bearing ring in order to eliminate the axial play and rattle. Rebuild kit from Besian Systems should arrive by Thursday.
Had I known, I would have done this weeks ago.
In the photo, you will see my vanos unit, "after" I have cleaned the heavy carbonized oil residue within the chamber. It was literally black!
The photo also shows a 18mm socket. These unit came with either a 17mm or 18mm hex nut so you'll have to disassemble yours to determine which socket to order. Mine has a 18mm socket.

Since I am redoing the head, it was a no brainer to address this before reassembly.

I will post more when the parts arrive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vanos post clean up.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	269506  
Ads by Google
Old 03-09-2011, 10:51 AM
BMW CCA Memeber #445389

Mein Auto: M50 Big Body
17mm socket is for 93s only if my memory serves me correctly.

Rick I have a question for you. It's T-15 days till I do my cams/VANOS The only part I don't have information on it the VANOS oil line. Will oil spurt out everywhere after it is detached? Is it pressurized? Does it tap right to the pan? Or will it just drip because the engine is off and there is no oil pressure? Did you plug the line with a screw or something?

I'm just wondering for a simple how-to on deconnecting the VANOS oil line..
TIA!!

Sent from Joe's iPhone using BimmerApp

1995 525iA 250k mi
2006 325i/6 57k mi
2003 350Z 88k mi

Instagram: @Titan_E34
Snapchat: Titan_E34
Old 03-09-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 E34 View Post
17mm socket is for 93s only if my memory serves me correctly.

Rick I have a question for you. It's T-15 days till I do my cams/VANOS The only part I don't have information on it the VANOS oil line. Will oil spurt out everywhere after it is detached? Is it pressurized? Does it tap right to the pan? Or will it just drip because the engine is off and there is no oil pressure? Did you plug the line with a screw or something?

I'm just wondering for a simple how-to on deconnecting the VANOS oil line..
TIA!!

It is not under pressure when the engine is off. A small bit of oil will drip out so place a rag under there. My line is still off and not plugged so you'll be ok, again, you may want to just place a shop rag there.
For what it's worth, you may want to replace the line. I didn't because my tight budget plus I'm a little over 1000K with tools and parts so far. It's a $60 part.

Just disconnect it, but make sure you you replace the two washers and torque it to spec or it will leak. Ae you going to rebuild your VANOS unit?

Let me know if you need any more info.

Last edited by ricks5series; 03-09-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:22 AM
BMW CCA Memeber #445389

Thanks Rick! That's all I needed to know.

I'm going to replace mine with a refurbished unit from Dr. VANOS, the stage 1 kit. You can also rent the tools from there so there's no worry and it's alot cheaper than buying the tools. Another perk is they tale my old VANOS unit off my hands and give me $100 refund. It's a big win and after the dust settles, shouldn't be more than $280 w/o shipping.

Thanks for your help!

1995 525iA 250k mi
2006 325i/6 57k mi
2003 350Z 88k mi

Old 03-09-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Thanks Rick! That's all I needed to know.

I'm going to replace mine with a refurbished unit from Dr. VANOS, the stage 1 kit. You can also rent the tools from there so there's no worry and it's alot cheaper than buying the tools. Another perk is they tale my old VANOS unit off my hands and give me $100 refund. It's a big win and after the dust settles, shouldn't be more than $280 w/o shipping.

Thanks for your help!

That's a safe move if you don't have the tools. Too bad you aren't close, I'd lend you mine.
I may post a thread offering to locally rent mine (with a deposit of course) after I'm done with this project or sell them all less $30. No there yet though.

BTW, Dr. Vanos viewed my video on the vanos and suggested I just reinstall if I didn't have problems before but I think the high pitch sound was the axial play on the spline gear so decided to replace the inner ring. I liked their no pressure approach though.
Again, due to budget restraints, I went with the Belsian System's rebuild kit. Rajaie, the owner was pretty helpful and responsive as well.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:35 AM
BMW CCA Memeber #445389

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricks5series View Post
That's a safe move if you don't have the tools. Too bad you aren't close, I'd lend you mine.
I may post a thread offering to locally rent mine (with a deposit of course) after I'm done with this project or sell them all less $30. No there yet though.

BTW, Dr. Vanos viewed my video on the vanos and suggested I just reinstall if I didn't have problems before but I think the high pitch sound was the axial play on the spline gear so decided to replace the inner ring. I liked their no pressure approach though.
Again, due to budget restraints, I went with the Belsian System's rebuild kit. Rajaie, the owner was pretty helpful and responsive as well.
Rock on. It's better to be safe than sorry

1995 525iA 250k mi
2006 325i/6 57k mi
2003 350Z 88k mi

Old 03-10-2011, 11:15 AM

Kit arrived this morning and will post my steps asap.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Vanos Kit.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	269686  
Old 03-10-2011, 01:12 PM
BMW CCA Memeber #445389

Hey rick. Ive decided to go the Beisan route. Can you please enlighten me as to where and how to order? Did you do it online or phone call? Which kit did you ask for?
I know I must be bugging the hell out of you with my incessant questioning, but you're a very helpful person.
Thanks!

1995 525iA 250k mi
2006 325i/6 57k mi
2003 350Z 88k mi

Old 03-10-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Hey rick. Ive decided to go the Beisan route. Can you please enlighten me as to where and how to order? Did you do it online or phone call? Which kit did you ask for?
I know I must be bugging the hell out of you with my incessant questioning, but you're a very helpful person.
Thanks!

I ordered online with my CC but it will go thru paypal, no extra fees.
You need to remove the vanos unit, remove the 5 small bolts which fasten the piston and pull the entire assembly out. You will then have access to the hex cap. Take a 17mm & 18mm socket to determine which one fits because they came with two different sizes. Mine was the 18mm.

You'll have to order that socket $5.00.
If you have a single vanos, as I do, order the following:
1) Single Vanos Seals Repair Kit (6-cyl)
Item # BS011, $30
For BMW engines M50TU, M52, US S50, S52

2) Single Vanos Rattle Repair Kit (6-cyl)
Item # BS012, $30
For BMW engines M50TU, M52, US S50, S52
Install w/ Single Vanos Seals Repair Kit (6-cyl)
Required tools: Soft Vise Jaw Liners & Modified Socket

3) Soft Vise Jaw Liners (you will need a vise)
Item # BS091, $15
Tool for Single & Double Vanos Rattle Repair Kit (6-cyl)

4) Either their 17mm or 18mm socket, whichever one you have.

My total cost for everything including shipping was $85, not bad.

If you don't want to order the socket and have the one you need, just grind down the bevel , I choose not too grind one of mine because I did not have a grinder.

Feel feel to ask me any questions, I don;t mind at all.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:59 PM

I'm stuck and at the stage of clamping the piston down on the vise with the soft grips but the grips and piston keep slipping out of the vise. PITA!
I have it pretty tight but don't want to damage the piston by over tightening so I emailed Rajaie for advice and awaiting his suggestion. Maybe I have a cheap vise?

Later this evening:
OK, did some reading on the internet and found removing the hex nut to be a common problem. One guy used a small torch to heat up the outer threaded ridge while keeping the center hex nut cool (don't know what but I may try piece of ice, lol). He said it then turned freely without any effort.
I'm going to give it a try tomorrow so I'm at a snails crawl again.

P.S. Wife came in and I explained the problem. She rolled her eyes and said "no wonder BMW's are so expensive to have repaired, this is ridiculous" and walked out of the garage.
Bless her little heart, lol
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	soft vise grip.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	269741  

Last edited by ricks5series; 03-10-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:38 PM

For those interested in learning more about the Besian System repair kit, check out this thread by Rajaie, the owner of the company. Very interesting, and to answer your question about how long these seals will last Roberto, he stated the life of the vehicle.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=524336
Old 03-12-2011, 07:27 PM

So I finished the VANOS rebuild. It wasn't as easy as described, at least for me.
I remedied the problem of removing the hex nut cap by heating the outer area but was careful not to overheat anything. I placed several layers of aluminum foil to protect the soft grip, just in case.

I then decided to use my air impact wrench and low and behold, the nut came free with a breeze. There something to be said for power tools.

I figured the impact wrench would provide torque right at the nut as opposed to using a long breaker bar. My thought was that the breaker bars leverage simply caused the entire thing to slip out of the vise. The only other thing I could think of is that my vise jaws don't have adequate grip as the surfaces are pretty smooth from years of use. I'm just mentioning this in case anyone else runs into this problem.
From this point on, it was relatively easy removing the insides, cleaning them, oiling and reinstalling everything along with the new bearing ring.
I then torqued to specs.

I decided to replace the O rings last so as not to accidentally damage them during the bearing ring replacement. As the Besian procedure described, both rings were pretty plasticized, especially the inner O ring. That one was compressed and no longer round.

I carefully stretched them very slightly and lightly oiled them before installing the piston assembly. Instructions stated to leave them in for about 2 minutes, then remove the piston, inspect the outer O rings, then carefully reinstall.
I torqued the 5 bolts to spec and I was done!

I must say, the splined shaft is now free of any radial/axial play and the piston has a much tighter fit when pushing and pulling it out. BIG difference!

P.S. I cleaned the aluminum parts with diesel fuel, 0000 steel wool and a soft stainless steel brush in order to rid the oil deposits. Just be gentle and careful not to rub too hard.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	heating outer area.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	270061   Click image for larger version

Name:	impact wrench.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	270062   Click image for larger version

Name:	removing torx bolt.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	270063   Click image for larger version

Name:	cleaning oil deposits.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	270064   Click image for larger version

Name:	after cleaning.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	270065  

Name:	inserting final O ring.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	270066  
Old 03-12-2011, 07:30 PM

These are shots of my rebuilt vanos unit. Looks good as new!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rebuilt vanos unit_a .jpg
Views:	178
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	270069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rebuilt vanos unit_b.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	270070  
Old 03-12-2011, 08:18 PM
Humble E34 lover

Mein Auto: 1992 525i
And I bet it will operate good as new. Congrats on a job well done

I suspect you will notice a significant difference in the power delivery being much more linear. When I had my E39, I used to read threads where the owner either had or did the rebuild of the double vanos themselves and they raved about the results. May you have as dramatic of an improvment with yours.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 03-12-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR_LVR View Post
And I bet it will operate good as new. Congrats on a job well done

I suspect you will notice a significant difference in the power delivery being much more linear. When I had my E39, I used to read threads where the owner either had or did the rebuild of the double vanos themselves and they raved about the results. May you have as dramatic of an improvment with yours.

Steve
Hopefully so Steve, although I have a rebuilt head as well so it may be hard to notice the difference. At least I know its rebuilt, right?
Old 03-12-2011, 08:44 PM
Humble E34 lover

Mein Auto: 1992 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricks5series View Post
Hopefully so Steve, although I have a rebuilt head as well so it may be hard to notice the difference. At least I know its rebuilt, right?
I don't think a head replacement/rebuild alone would have given you any improvement at all (unless you modified it some way). If you had just replaced it, the car would have run just like it did before the head cracked. However, proper function of the vanos unit has a direct impact on the power delivery, so I believe you will indeed notice an improvement since that unit itself was rebuilt.

Let us know once you get everything buttoned back up.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Last edited by BMR_LVR; 03-12-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:59 PM

Will do Steve!