Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Ask-A-Dealer

Ask-A-Dealer
Talk to our team of BMW Client Advisors. Get all of your buying/financing/leasing questions answered here!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-09-2011, 11:58 AM
jrothen4 jrothen4 is offline
Registered User
Location: Las Vegas
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 92
Mein Auto: 2011 535i 6MT
5 Series order- Advice

Have been lurking for awhile and 1st time poster. I am looking at a 2011 528i or 535i (cant decide). I have been to the local dealer and found that everything they have is either priced too high because of options or too low with options that the vehicle doesn't have that I want. I found that in order to get what I want at the price I want is to have the vehicle built. The dealer is not give me that good of a discount as if it a car that came off the lot. So in order to stay within my monthly price range, I need to either find the vehicle I want or have it ordered.

The question is, do any of you folks have any advice or can you refer me to a dealership who preferably is high volume/lost cost that can find me what I want or have the vehicle ordered? I am looking at a lease option, 12/36 with about 2-3k out of pocket to hopefully be around $650/mo. I m in the Las Vegas area but willing to travel if the deal is good!

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 03-09-2011, 12:11 PM
judyg951's Avatar
judyg951 judyg951 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Sunny So. Ca.
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 653
Mein Auto: 2011 528iSport, 2012 E93
PM sent.
__________________
Judy





2011 F10 sport, 2012 E93M sport (totaled)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-09-2011, 12:18 PM
AnonCA AnonCA is offline
Account Under Review
Location: Southern Region
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 385
Mein Auto: Off-Brand
An ordered car shouldn't be any more than one currently in inventory. Find a dealer/CA that will actually spend time with you and show you all the options..."open-book" style. Check on which vehicles they may have in service loaner status that might fit your needs/requirements. With the right amount of time in that status as well as the accumulated mileage, those cars can be really nice bargains. All said, first find a CA that is willing to spend the time with you.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-09-2011, 12:28 PM
judyg951's Avatar
judyg951 judyg951 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Sunny So. Ca.
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 653
Mein Auto: 2011 528iSport, 2012 E93
I looked at a few dealers, but ended up ordering from a dealer online. Now I bought my last BMW from the same salesman that I leased my 328 from though so I knew and trusted him. I did shop around and he gave me the best deal, but since I already knew what car and options I wanted it was pretty easy. I did end up adding the sport package after I drove and compared the sport to the non sport. You need to drive a car that has the options (or at least most of them) that you want.
__________________
Judy





2011 F10 sport, 2012 E93M sport (totaled)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-09-2011, 01:21 PM
66rb 66rb is offline
Registered User
Location: NV
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 43
Mein Auto: 528i
Vegas is a tough market. I am currently working on my 2nd ED with Phillipe Kahn at South Bay BMW. He has been great to deal with.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-09-2011, 04:50 PM
ahimanic's Avatar
ahimanic ahimanic is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southern California
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 262
Mein Auto: X5
One of the great things about BMW is that you can custom order the exact vehicle you want. I would definitely take advantage of that if you don't like what you see on the lots. BMW doesn't crank out cars unless a dealer has placed an order for one. Dealers use their allocation by either selling it to a person like you that wants a custom order or place orders for themselves with options and colors they believe that will sell well on their lot.

Of course they would prefer to sell what's on their lot to move their inventory and not pay financing on it but in general I find that most dealers are willing to order and not deviate too much from the profit they look for on existing inventory. It all depends on timing and whether they have allocations to spare.

+1 on Phillipe Kahn. He is great to work with and a straight shooter. Phillipe will not BS you.
__________________
5-13-11 PCD: 2012 X5 35i Premium Deep Sea Blue, Oyster Nevada, Dark Bamboo, Convenience pkg, Multi-contour Seats, Runners, Space Saver spare.
************************************************
5-17-08 ED: 2008 535i Deep Sea Blue, cream beige Dakota, bamboo anthracite, Sp pkg, Premium pkg, sport auto trans, iPod USB, park distance ctrl. 2008 335i Convertible Montego Blue, gray Dakota, black poplar, Sp pkg, Premium pkg, paddle shifters, iPod USB, comfort access.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-09-2011, 06:24 PM
OrthoPT OrthoPT is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 111
Mein Auto: 2011 535i xdrive
Passport BMW. Ask for Peter Brizan. He will give you the best deal possible. I know cause I have purchased many from him.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Bimmer App
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-09-2011, 07:51 PM
jrothen4 jrothen4 is offline
Registered User
Location: Las Vegas
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 92
Mein Auto: 2011 535i 6MT
Thanks for the reply's. I now have a good starting point. Unfortunately in Vegas, there are only 2 BMW dealers in town and both are part of Desert group. I was looking for something out of Cali since there are many dealers there to choose from.

As far as option go, I know what I want, it is just a toss up between the 528i and 535i. Both are great cars, but I am leaning more towards the 528i so I can stay within my monthly budget.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-09-2011, 08:54 PM
ProRail ProRail is offline
"Clunker" *****
Location: Columbia MD
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 4,598
Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrothen4 View Post
Thanks for the reply's. I now have a good starting point. Unfortunately in Vegas, there are only 2 BMW dealers in town and both are part of Desert group. I was looking for something out of Cali since there are many dealers there to choose from.

As far as option go, I know what I want, it is just a toss up between the 528i and 535i. Both are great cars, but I am leaning more towards the 528i so I can stay within my monthly budget.
Going to start a spirited discussion, but IMO the 528 is a very sensible choice, and is every bit as exciting as the 535 if you are not a power junkie..

Last edited by ProRail; 03-09-2011 at 08:55 PM. Reason: more
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-09-2011, 09:28 PM
jrothen4 jrothen4 is offline
Registered User
Location: Las Vegas
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 92
Mein Auto: 2011 535i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProRail View Post
Going to start a spirited discussion, but IMO the 528 is a very sensible choice, and is every bit as exciting as the 535 if you are not a power junkie..
ProRail

I def agree. I only noticed tendency not to give the beast more gas pedal on the 528i. Plus as gas creeps up, I m really starting to like the 22/32 mpg of the 528i. I do love the dual exhaust tho!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-10-2011, 02:24 AM
Erregend's Avatar
Erregend Erregend is offline
535i M-Sport ED May 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 947
Mein Auto: '11 M-Spt 535i & '04 SLK
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrothen4 View Post
As far as option go, I know what I want, it is just a toss up between the 528i and 535i. Both are great cars, but I am leaning more towards the 528i so I can stay within my monthly budget.
Have you thought about European Delivery? You can save a few thousand off the top and can often lease the car for $500-$1000 over Invoice. Dealers will generally negotiate more on ED cars because they do not come from dealer allocation...check out the ED wiki and ED forum.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-10-2011, 05:27 AM
bfv bfv is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Underground
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 697
Mein Auto: Rickshaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrothen4 View Post
Have been lurking for awhile and 1st time poster. I am looking at a 2011 528i or 535i (cant decide). I have been to the local dealer and found that everything they have is either priced too high because of options or too low with options that the vehicle doesn't have that I want. I found that in order to get what I want at the price I want is to have the vehicle built. The dealer is not give me that good of a discount as if it a car that came off the lot. So in order to stay within my monthly price range, I need to either find the vehicle I want or have it ordered.

The question is, do any of you folks have any advice or can you refer me to a dealership who preferably is high volume/lost cost that can find me what I want or have the vehicle ordered? I am looking at a lease option, 12/36 with about 2-3k out of pocket to hopefully be around $650/mo. I m in the Las Vegas area but willing to travel if the deal is good!

Thanks in advance
1) If you do not have a preference for local dealer, I suggest to use one of the bimmerfest sponsors in surrounding area. On East coast, Adrian Avila at BMW of South Atlanta is easy to deal with, responds quickly and professionally and has great prices with flexibility. It is worth to give him a call/email. IMO, if you are not dealing with local guys, it does not matter if your dealer is on east or west coast.

2) 528i is perfect for this budget. If you go to 535i, you will get a bigger engine, larger (& good looking wheels), better brakes and Xenons will be standard.....but then you will have to cut down on options significantly!

3) There are few good ways to keep monthly payment under budget WITHOUT down payment. * You can put multiple security deposits (up to 7) and it will bring down money factor . * Consider European Delivery to save some more. * Do not get into vehicle protection plans.

4) Consider tire/wheel protection if using larger tire/wheels.


Last edited by bfv; 03-10-2011 at 05:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-10-2011, 08:58 AM
racer t racer t is offline
Registered User
Location: ca
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 11
Mein Auto: 2009 Nissan gtr
1000 below invoice on 2011 535

contact juan carlos at mckenna bmw in norwalk,ca
ordered a 2011 535 practically with every option, 1000 below invoice
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-10-2011, 09:12 AM
RaveD's Avatar
RaveD RaveD is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 397
Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrothen4 View Post
Have been lurking for awhile and 1st time poster. I am looking at a 2011 528i or 535i (cant decide).
If you don't want to spend the extra for the 535i, by all means go for the 528i.

However, I strongly suggest you do not test drive the 535i. When I made this decision in 2008, I drove both. After hitting the accelerator on the 535i, there was no way I could buy the 528i
__________________
2014 535i xDrive Carbon Black/Mocha Nappa/Anthracite Trim/M Sport/Dynamic Handling/Sport auto transmission/Driver Assistance/Cold Weather/Luxury Seating/Premium
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-10-2011, 10:08 AM
jrothen4 jrothen4 is offline
Registered User
Location: Las Vegas
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 92
Mein Auto: 2011 535i 6MT
Thanks all for the great replies. I was suckered into driving the 535 1st, so it is a hard step back, but with gas the way it is the 528i is a bette option.

I would love to do the ED and stayed up very late last night reading all about it, but only have 3 months before I have to turn my 08 TL back in, so the ED option will put me over on time.

I have narrowed down what I want, and will need a dealer to probably have it ordered. It seems a lot of dealers in California are flexible and come with recommendations from posters, but how will the taxes affect me? Is it on the total cost of the car or in the monthly lease payments? Also I would have to hammer out how to register it here in NV.

Again I'll take any recommendations on dealers that are easy to work with via phone and internet who will give me the best price.

So far:
528i
Premium 1 & 2
Convenience pkg
Sport pkg (Have to get, hate to standard wheels!)
Alpine white w/black interior
Maybe looking at throwing in vent seat pkg if the price is good
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-10-2011, 03:35 PM
SD Z4MR's Avatar
SD Z4MR SD Z4MR is offline
(formerly SD 335is)
Location: San Diego, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,228
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrothen4 View Post
I would love to do the ED and stayed up very late last night reading all about it, but only have 3 months before I have to turn my 08 TL back in, so the ED option will put me over on time.
There are bimmerfesters who have reported doing an ED in less than 3 months and some in only a few weeks, it depends on which cars with which options a dealer has already ordered and has in the pipeline. Of course the biggest problem with ED is that you will not get the car for 8-10 weeks after dropping off in Europe so even if your lease is up by the time you leave for Europe you'll still have 8-10 weeks without transportation when you get back.
__________________
- Tom
-------
Mine: 2006 Z4 Roadster (E85) | Interlagos Blue Metallic | Black Extended Nappa Leather | Carbon Leather Trim | Purchased 7/19/12
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!


Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-10-2011, 03:48 PM
bfv bfv is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Underground
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 697
Mein Auto: Rickshaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrothen4 View Post
Thanks all for the great replies. I was suckered into driving the 535 1st, so it is a hard step back, but with gas the way it is the 528i is a bette option.

I would love to do the ED and stayed up very late last night reading all about it, but only have 3 months before I have to turn my 08 TL back in, so the ED option will put me over on time.

I have narrowed down what I want, and will need a dealer to probably have it ordered. It seems a lot of dealers in California are flexible and come with recommendations from posters, but how will the taxes affect me? Is it on the total cost of the car or in the monthly lease payments? Also I would have to hammer out how to register it here in NV.

Again I'll take any recommendations on dealers that are easy to work with via phone and internet who will give me the best price.

So far:
528i
Premium 1 & 2
Convenience pkg
Sport pkg (Have to get, hate to standard wheels!)
Alpine white w/black interior
Maybe looking at throwing in vent seat pkg if the price is good
- You can do ED if you have 3 months! If you are working with a good dealer, he will take out a car that's in production at this time and will place your order, then you can go and get ED. PM me if you need more info. Then your car will be here just in time.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-10-2011, 04:29 PM
Kamdog's Avatar
Kamdog Kamdog is offline
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,848
Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaveD View Post
If you don't want to spend the extra for the 535i, by all means go for the 528i.

However, I strongly suggest you do not test drive the 535i. When I made this decision in 2008, I drove both. After hitting the accelerator on the 535i, there was no way I could buy the 528i
Same here.

Fortunately, as I was mulling things, I happened upon Bimmerfest and found out how good ED was, and did that too.
__________________

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-10-2011, 04:32 PM
Kamdog's Avatar
Kamdog Kamdog is offline
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,848
Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrothen4 View Post
Thanks all for the great replies. I was suckered into driving the 535 1st, so it is a hard step back, but with gas the way it is the 528i is a bette option.

I would love to do the ED and stayed up very late last night reading all about it, but only have 3 months before I have to turn my 08 TL back in, so the ED option will put me over on time.

I have narrowed down what I want, and will need a dealer to probably have it ordered. It seems a lot of dealers in California are flexible and come with recommendations from posters, but how will the taxes affect me? Is it on the total cost of the car or in the monthly lease payments? Also I would have to hammer out how to register it here in NV.

Again I'll take any recommendations on dealers that are easy to work with via phone and internet who will give me the best price.

So far:
528i
Premium 1 & 2
Convenience pkg
Sport pkg (Have to get, hate to standard wheels!)
Alpine white w/black interior
Maybe looking at throwing in vent seat pkg if the price is good
You should also strongly consider getting the HUD, it is pretty amazing, and people love it, especially when they use navigation.
__________________

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-11-2011, 05:30 AM
Ali1967 Ali1967 is offline
Registered User
Location: Paris
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 16
Mein Auto: 535D Sport + M package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamdog View Post
You should also strongly consider getting the HUD, it is pretty amazing, and people love it, especially when they use navigation.
+1 for the HUD, love it.

Also the active cruise control is great if you drive in traffic.

cheers
Ali
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-11-2011, 07:01 AM
Erregend's Avatar
Erregend Erregend is offline
535i M-Sport ED May 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 947
Mein Auto: '11 M-Spt 535i & '04 SLK
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrothen4 View Post
I would love to do the ED and stayed up very late last night reading all about it, but only have 3 months before I have to turn my 08 TL back in, so the ED option will put me over on time.
You HAVE to reconsider and do ED!! An experience not to be missed!

[ Rent basic transportation at Enterprise for the time you waiting on redelivery.

It will make you appreciate the 535i that much more. ]
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-12-2011, 01:31 PM
jrothen4 jrothen4 is offline
Registered User
Location: Las Vegas
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 92
Mein Auto: 2011 535i 6MT
Quote I received. This is not the ED. I was told the ED pick up is out to mid-June, past my time frame. Any comments on this of how I could work it?

Lease Terms
Lender BMW Financial Services
Term 36 Months
Mileage 12,000/year
Money Factor 1.75
Residual Factor 58%

Selling Price $53,545.00
Total Capitalized Cost $53,545.00

Residual Value $32,784.50
Total Depreciation $20,760.50
Capital Reduction $0.00
Monthly Depreciation $576.68
Monthly Rent $151.08
Monthly Payment $727.76

Tax (0%) $0.00
Monthly Payment + Tax $727.76

License & Registration $0.00
Bank Fee $925.00
Documentation Fee $45.00
First Payment $727.76
Security Deposit $0.00
Drive Off $1,697.76

Trade Equity $0.00
Rebate $0.00
Due at Signing $1,697.76

My tax rate is 7.75%

Here is the MSD quote:

Lender BMW Financial Services
Term 36 Months
Mileage 12,000/year
Money Factor 1.26
Residual Factor 58%

Selling Price $53,545.00
Total Capitalized Cost $53,545.00

Residual Value $32,784.50
Total Depreciation $20,760.50
Capital Reduction $0.00
Monthly Depreciation $576.68
Monthly Rent $108.78
Monthly Payment $685.46

Tax (0%) $0.00
Monthly Payment + Tax $685.46
License & Registration $0.00
Bank Fee $925.00
Documentation Fee $45.00
First Payment $685.46
Security Deposit $4,900.00
Drive Off $6,555.46

Trade Equity $0.00
Rebate $0.00
Due at Signing $6,555.46
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-12-2011, 04:54 PM
bfv bfv is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Underground
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 697
Mein Auto: Rickshaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrothen4 View Post
Quote I received. This is not the ED. I was told the ED pick up is out to mid-June, past my time frame. Any comments on this of how I could work it?

Lease Terms
Lender BMW Financial Services
Term 36 Months
Mileage 12,000/year
Money Factor 1.75
Residual Factor 58%

Selling Price $53,545.00
Total Capitalized Cost $53,545.00

Residual Value $32,784.50
Total Depreciation $20,760.50
Capital Reduction $0.00
Monthly Depreciation $576.68
Monthly Rent $151.08
Monthly Payment $727.76

Tax (0%) $0.00
Monthly Payment + Tax $727.76

License & Registration $0.00
Bank Fee $925.00
Documentation Fee $45.00
First Payment $727.76
Security Deposit $0.00
Drive Off $1,697.76

Trade Equity $0.00
Rebate $0.00
Due at Signing $1,697.76

My tax rate is 7.75%

Here is the MSD quote:

Lender BMW Financial Services
Term 36 Months
Mileage 12,000/year
Money Factor 1.26
Residual Factor 58%

Selling Price $53,545.00
Total Capitalized Cost $53,545.00

Residual Value $32,784.50
Total Depreciation $20,760.50
Capital Reduction $0.00
Monthly Depreciation $576.68
Monthly Rent $108.78
Monthly Payment $685.46

Tax (0%) $0.00
Monthly Payment + Tax $685.46
License & Registration $0.00
Bank Fee $925.00
Documentation Fee $45.00
First Payment $685.46
Security Deposit $4,900.00
Drive Off $6,555.46

Trade Equity $0.00
Rebate $0.00
Due at Signing $6,555.46

You can negotiate on bank fee down to $725.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-12-2011, 06:18 PM
jrothen4 jrothen4 is offline
Registered User
Location: Las Vegas
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 92
Mein Auto: 2011 535i 6MT
Damn I was hoping to have some more taken off of the msrp, but have not heard back from the dealer. Guess I'll have to wait until Monday.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-12-2011, 06:33 PM
ProRail ProRail is offline
"Clunker" *****
Location: Columbia MD
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 4,598
Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrothen4 View Post
ProRail

I def agree. I only noticed tendency not to give the beast more gas pedal on the 528i. Plus as gas creeps up, I m really starting to like the 22/32 mpg of the 528i. I do love the dual exhaust tho!
Sorry for the tardy reply. IMO dual exhaust is mostly cosmetic rather than functional.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Ask-A-Dealer
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms