Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Ask-A-Dealer

Ask-A-Dealer
Talk to our team of BMW Client Advisors. Get all of your buying/financing/leasing questions answered here!

Old 03-09-2011, 11:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i 6MT
5 Series order- Advice

Have been lurking for awhile and 1st time poster. I am looking at a 2011 528i or 535i (cant decide). I have been to the local dealer and found that everything they have is either priced too high because of options or too low with options that the vehicle doesn't have that I want. I found that in order to get what I want at the price I want is to have the vehicle built. The dealer is not give me that good of a discount as if it a car that came off the lot. So in order to stay within my monthly price range, I need to either find the vehicle I want or have it ordered.

The question is, do any of you folks have any advice or can you refer me to a dealership who preferably is high volume/lost cost that can find me what I want or have the vehicle ordered? I am looking at a lease option, 12/36 with about 2-3k out of pocket to hopefully be around $650/mo. I m in the Las Vegas area but willing to travel if the deal is good!

Thanks in advance
Ads by Google
Old 03-09-2011, 12:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 528iSport, 2012 E93
PM sent.

2011 F10 sport, 2012 E93M sport (totaled)
Old 03-09-2011, 12:18 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: Off-Brand
An ordered car shouldn't be any more than one currently in inventory. Find a dealer/CA that will actually spend time with you and show you all the options..."open-book" style. Check on which vehicles they may have in service loaner status that might fit your needs/requirements. With the right amount of time in that status as well as the accumulated mileage, those cars can be really nice bargains. All said, first find a CA that is willing to spend the time with you.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528iSport, 2012 E93
I looked at a few dealers, but ended up ordering from a dealer online. Now I bought my last BMW from the same salesman that I leased my 328 from though so I knew and trusted him. I did shop around and he gave me the best deal, but since I already knew what car and options I wanted it was pretty easy. I did end up adding the sport package after I drove and compared the sport to the non sport. You need to drive a car that has the options (or at least most of them) that you want.

2011 F10 sport, 2012 E93M sport (totaled)
Old 03-09-2011, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
Vegas is a tough market. I am currently working on my 2nd ED with Phillipe Kahn at South Bay BMW. He has been great to deal with.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:50 PM

Mein Auto: X5
One of the great things about BMW is that you can custom order the exact vehicle you want. I would definitely take advantage of that if you don't like what you see on the lots. BMW doesn't crank out cars unless a dealer has placed an order for one. Dealers use their allocation by either selling it to a person like you that wants a custom order or place orders for themselves with options and colors they believe that will sell well on their lot.

Of course they would prefer to sell what's on their lot to move their inventory and not pay financing on it but in general I find that most dealers are willing to order and not deviate too much from the profit they look for on existing inventory. It all depends on timing and whether they have allocations to spare.

+1 on Phillipe Kahn. He is great to work with and a straight shooter. Phillipe will not BS you.
5-17-08 ED: 2008 535i Deep Sea Blue, cream beige Dakota, bamboo anthracite, Sp pkg, Premium pkg, sport auto trans, iPod USB, park distance ctrl. 2008 335i Convertible Montego Blue, gray Dakota, black poplar, Sp pkg, Premium pkg, paddle shifters, iPod USB, comfort access.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i xdrive
Passport BMW. Ask for Peter Brizan. He will give you the best deal possible. I know cause I have purchased many from him.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Bimmer App
Old 03-09-2011, 07:51 PM

Thanks for the reply's. I now have a good starting point. Unfortunately in Vegas, there are only 2 BMW dealers in town and both are part of Desert group. I was looking for something out of Cali since there are many dealers there to choose from.

As far as option go, I know what I want, it is just a toss up between the 528i and 535i. Both are great cars, but I am leaning more towards the 528i so I can stay within my monthly budget.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:54 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrothen4 View Post
Thanks for the reply's. I now have a good starting point. Unfortunately in Vegas, there are only 2 BMW dealers in town and both are part of Desert group. I was looking for something out of Cali since there are many dealers there to choose from.

As far as option go, I know what I want, it is just a toss up between the 528i and 535i. Both are great cars, but I am leaning more towards the 528i so I can stay within my monthly budget.
Going to start a spirited discussion, but IMO the 528 is a very sensible choice, and is every bit as exciting as the 535 if you are not a power junkie..

Last edited by ProRail; 03-09-2011 at 08:55 PM. Reason: more
Old 03-09-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProRail View Post
Going to start a spirited discussion, but IMO the 528 is a very sensible choice, and is every bit as exciting as the 535 if you are not a power junkie..
ProRail

I def agree. I only noticed tendency not to give the beast more gas pedal on the 528i. Plus as gas creeps up, I m really starting to like the 22/32 mpg of the 528i. I do love the dual exhaust tho!
Old 03-10-2011, 02:24 AM
535i M-Sport ED May 2011

Mein Auto: '11 M-Spt 535i & '04 SLK
Quote:
Have you thought about European Delivery? You can save a few thousand off the top and can often lease the car for $500-$1000 over Invoice. Dealers will generally negotiate more on ED cars because they do not come from dealer allocation...check out the ED wiki and ED forum.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:27 AM

Mein Auto: Rickshaw
Quote:
Have been lurking for awhile and 1st time poster. I am looking at a 2011 528i or 535i (cant decide). I have been to the local dealer and found that everything they have is either priced too high because of options or too low with options that the vehicle doesn't have that I want. I found that in order to get what I want at the price I want is to have the vehicle built. The dealer is not give me that good of a discount as if it a car that came off the lot. So in order to stay within my monthly price range, I need to either find the vehicle I want or have it ordered.

The question is, do any of you folks have any advice or can you refer me to a dealership who preferably is high volume/lost cost that can find me what I want or have the vehicle ordered? I am looking at a lease option, 12/36 with about 2-3k out of pocket to hopefully be around $650/mo. I m in the Las Vegas area but willing to travel if the deal is good!

Thanks in advance
1) If you do not have a preference for local dealer, I suggest to use one of the bimmerfest sponsors in surrounding area. On East coast, Adrian Avila at BMW of South Atlanta is easy to deal with, responds quickly and professionally and has great prices with flexibility. It is worth to give him a call/email. IMO, if you are not dealing with local guys, it does not matter if your dealer is on east or west coast.

2) 528i is perfect for this budget. If you go to 535i, you will get a bigger engine, larger (& good looking wheels), better brakes and Xenons will be standard.....but then you will have to cut down on options significantly!

3) There are few good ways to keep monthly payment under budget WITHOUT down payment. * You can put multiple security deposits (up to 7) and it will bring down money factor . * Consider European Delivery to save some more. * Do not get into vehicle protection plans.

4) Consider tire/wheel protection if using larger tire/wheels.

Last edited by bfv; 03-10-2011 at 05:29 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 Nissan gtr
1000 below invoice on 2011 535

contact juan carlos at mckenna bmw in norwalk,ca
ordered a 2011 535 practically with every option, 1000 below invoice
Old 03-10-2011, 09:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Have been lurking for awhile and 1st time poster. I am looking at a 2011 528i or 535i (cant decide).
If you don't want to spend the extra for the 535i, by all means go for the 528i.

However, I strongly suggest you do not test drive the 535i. When I made this decision in 2008, I drove both. After hitting the accelerator on the 535i, there was no way I could buy the 528i
Old 03-10-2011, 10:08 AM

Thanks all for the great replies. I was suckered into driving the 535 1st, so it is a hard step back, but with gas the way it is the 528i is a bette option.

I would love to do the ED and stayed up very late last night reading all about it, but only have 3 months before I have to turn my 08 TL back in, so the ED option will put me over on time.

I have narrowed down what I want, and will need a dealer to probably have it ordered. It seems a lot of dealers in California are flexible and come with recommendations from posters, but how will the taxes affect me? Is it on the total cost of the car or in the monthly lease payments? Also I would have to hammer out how to register it here in NV.

Again I'll take any recommendations on dealers that are easy to work with via phone and internet who will give me the best price.

So far:
528i
Premium 1 & 2
Convenience pkg
Sport pkg (Have to get, hate to standard wheels!)
Alpine white w/black interior
Maybe looking at throwing in vent seat pkg if the price is good
Old 03-10-2011, 03:35 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
I would love to do the ED and stayed up very late last night reading all about it, but only have 3 months before I have to turn my 08 TL back in, so the ED option will put me over on time.
There are bimmerfesters who have reported doing an ED in less than 3 months and some in only a few weeks, it depends on which cars with which options a dealer has already ordered and has in the pipeline. Of course the biggest problem with ED is that you will not get the car for 8-10 weeks after dropping off in Europe so even if your lease is up by the time you leave for Europe you'll still have 8-10 weeks without transportation when you get back.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 03-10-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Thanks all for the great replies. I was suckered into driving the 535 1st, so it is a hard step back, but with gas the way it is the 528i is a bette option.

I have narrowed down what I want, and will need a dealer to probably have it ordered. It seems a lot of dealers in California are flexible and come with recommendations from posters, but how will the taxes affect me? Is it on the total cost of the car or in the monthly lease payments? Also I would have to hammer out how to register it here in NV.

Again I'll take any recommendations on dealers that are easy to work with via phone and internet who will give me the best price.

So far:
528i
Premium 1 & 2
Convenience pkg
- You can do ED if you have 3 months! If you are working with a good dealer, he will take out a car that's in production at this time and will place your order, then you can go and get ED. PM me if you need more info. Then your car will be here just in time.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:29 PM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaveD View Post
If you don't want to spend the extra for the 535i, by all means go for the 528i.

However, I strongly suggest you do not test drive the 535i. When I made this decision in 2008, I drove both. After hitting the accelerator on the 535i, there was no way I could buy the 528i
Same here.

Fortunately, as I was mulling things, I happened upon Bimmerfest and found out how good ED was, and did that too.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:32 PM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:

So far:
528i
Premium 1 & 2
Convenience pkg
You should also strongly consider getting the HUD, it is pretty amazing, and people love it, especially when they use navigation.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:30 AM

Mein Auto: 535D Sport + M package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamdog View Post
You should also strongly consider getting the HUD, it is pretty amazing, and people love it, especially when they use navigation.
+1 for the HUD, love it.

Also the active cruise control is great if you drive in traffic.

cheers
Ali
Old 03-11-2011, 07:01 AM
535i M-Sport ED May 2011

Mein Auto: '11 M-Spt 535i & '04 SLK
Quote:
You HAVE to reconsider and do ED!! An experience not to be missed!

[ Rent basic transportation at Enterprise for the time you waiting on redelivery.

It will make you appreciate the 535i that much more. ]
Old 03-12-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote I received. This is not the ED. I was told the ED pick up is out to mid-June, past my time frame. Any comments on this of how I could work it?

Lease Terms
Lender BMW Financial Services
Term 36 Months
Mileage 12,000/year
Money Factor 1.75
Residual Factor 58%

Selling Price $53,545.00
Total Capitalized Cost $53,545.00

Residual Value $32,784.50
Total Depreciation $20,760.50
Capital Reduction $0.00
Monthly Depreciation $576.68
Monthly Rent $151.08
Monthly Payment $727.76

Tax (0%) $0.00
Monthly Payment + Tax $727.76

License & Registration $0.00
Bank Fee $925.00
Documentation Fee $45.00
First Payment $727.76
Security Deposit $0.00
Drive Off $1,697.76

Trade Equity $0.00
Rebate $0.00
Due at Signing $1,697.76

My tax rate is 7.75%

Here is the MSD quote:

Term 36 Months
Mileage 12,000/year
Money Factor 1.26
Residual Factor 58%

Selling Price $53,545.00

Capital Reduction $0.00
Monthly Rent $108.78
Monthly Payment $685.46

Tax (0%) $0.00
Monthly Payment + Tax $685.46
Bank Fee $925.00
Documentation Fee $45.00
First Payment $685.46
Security Deposit $4,900.00
Drive Off $6,555.46

Trade Equity $0.00
Rebate $0.00
Due at Signing $6,555.46
Old 03-12-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Quote I received. This is not the ED. I was told the ED pick up is out to mid-June, past my time frame. Any comments on this of how I could work it?

Lease Terms
Term 36 Months
Mileage 12,000/year
Money Factor 1.75
Residual Factor 58%

Selling Price $53,545.00

Capital Reduction $0.00
Monthly Rent $151.08
Monthly Payment $727.76

Tax (0%) $0.00
Monthly Payment + Tax $727.76

Bank Fee $925.00
Documentation Fee $45.00
First Payment $727.76
Security Deposit $0.00
Drive Off $1,697.76

Trade Equity $0.00
Rebate $0.00
Due at Signing $1,697.76

My tax rate is 7.75%

Here is the MSD quote:

Term 36 Months
Mileage 12,000/year
Money Factor 1.26
Residual Factor 58%

Selling Price $53,545.00

Capital Reduction $0.00
Monthly Rent $108.78
Monthly Payment $685.46

Tax (0%) $0.00
Monthly Payment + Tax $685.46
Bank Fee $925.00
Documentation Fee $45.00
First Payment $685.46
Security Deposit $4,900.00
Drive Off $6,555.46

Trade Equity $0.00
Rebate $0.00
Due at Signing $6,555.46

You can negotiate on bank fee down to $725.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:18 PM

Damn I was hoping to have some more taken off of the msrp, but have not heard back from the dealer. Guess I'll have to wait until Monday.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:33 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
ProRail

I def agree. I only noticed tendency not to give the beast more gas pedal on the 528i. Plus as gas creeps up, I m really starting to like the 22/32 mpg of the 528i. I do love the dual exhaust tho!
Sorry for the tardy reply. IMO dual exhaust is mostly cosmetic rather than functional.