Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 04-17-2002, 07:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via ICQ to sshuit
Mein Auto: 2002 325Ci
Choosing a short shifter

Hello there,

I have just purchased a 2002 325Ci and I am a little disappointed with the manual transmission. I understand that numerous companies provide "short shifter" solutions with crisper throws and less tolerance (or shifter wiggle). What products should I be looking at?... How difficult is it to do a self install?... What is it like to drive compared to the stock stick?

Thanks for any advice you can provide

Sinclair
Ads by Google
Old 04-17-2002, 09:03 AM
method to my madness?

Mein Auto: .
Re: Choosing a short shifter

Quote:
Originally posted by sshuit
Hello there,

I have just purchased a 2002 325Ci and I am a little disappointed with the manual transmission. I understand that numerous companies provide "short shifter" solutions with crisper throws and less tolerance (or shifter wiggle). What products should I be looking at?... How difficult is it to do a self install?... What is it like to drive compared to the stock stick?

Thanks for any advice you can provide

Sinclair
You should be able to find several discussions about this in the archives here, and i know there's a good many at the other pIX site, e46fanatics.com. Personally, I have the UUC SSK and RKII shift knob and i think the difference is well worth it. It feel much more solid than the stock shifter. (The shorter throws are nice in traffic, but the stock throws are not really "long" as it is, IMO) Self-installation isn't bad for someone with a couple hours, decent mechanical skills, and patience. Would prolly cost anywhere from $100-$200 to have installed at a shop, so it's up to you to decide whether it's worth it.
Old 04-17-2002, 09:06 AM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Re: Re: Choosing a short shifter

Quote:
Originally posted by hamlet

You should be able to find several discussions about this in the archives here, and i know there's a good many at the other pIX site, e46fanatics.com. Personally, I have the UUC SSK and RKII shift knob and i think the difference is well worth it. It feel much more solid than the stock shifter. (The shorter throws are nice in traffic, but the stock throws are not really "long" as it is, IMO) Self-installation isn't bad for someone with a couple hours, decent mechanical skills, and patience. Would prolly cost anywhere from $100-$200 to have installed at a shop, so it's up to you to decide whether it's worth it.
And again, if you're buying UUC product email me first. I get a good discount for their products from Rob @ UUC motorworks. You can also check E46Fanatics, they also get some discount from UUC Motorworks as well.
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.