Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E39 M5 (1998-2003)

E39 M5 (1998-2003)

Old 04-17-2011, 01:49 PM
M-FIVE

Mein Auto: E39 M5
Angry L.A. Wheel an Tire

The worst Chroming wheel business in California. L.A.Wheel an Tire.. My M5 Wheels have been there for almost 2 months. The only time I get an update is when I call them. The excusses are all geared to "the customers falt".The email the manager sent me says," These wheels might have small bubble holes in the chrome. But stand back 4 feet and know one will notice them" ..WTF ? This is a poorly run company with no oversight or quality control. Will post follow-up when wheels arrive.
Ads by Google
Old 04-19-2011, 09:01 AM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: Skateboard, currently ;-P
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-FIVE View Post
The worst Chroming wheel business in California. L.A.Wheel an Tire.. My M5 Wheels have been there for almost 2 months. The only time I get an update is when I call them. The excusses are all geared to "the customers falt".The email the manager sent me says," These wheels might have small bubble holes in the chrome. But stand back 4 feet and know one will notice them" ..WTF ? This is a poorly run company with no oversight or quality control. Will post follow-up when wheels arrive.
My name is Tim Bannock and I'm the eCommerce Coordinator at L.A. Wheel. I found this post and wanted to address some of your concerns here, particularly isnce you quoted us out of context in regards to our warning about how re-chromed wheels come out.

We were careful to make sure you understood the issues regarding re-chroming your wheels. Here is a more complete excerpt from the email we sent to you so you would know the limitations of re-chroming wheels vs. chroming a new set of wheels:
When you re-chrome wheels, the process begins with stripping the old chrome off. We cannot be sure of the quality of the casting underneath the old chrome, or how it will look after the strip. There remains a significant possibility, especially with BMW castings, that the casting will have defects that show up after the strip. While we will do the best we can to polish those out, and to mask them with a good copper coat, or even two copper coats, there may still be minor cosmetic defects after the process is finished (when this happens, it most often presents as very small pinhole marks on the wheel, most likely in the windows and pockets we have done rechromes on BMW wheels that look perfect, and we have done some that have these defects). We cannot guarantee that there will be a show quality finish on a rechrome, although we would expect it to look great from a distance of 4 feet. On the other hand, they may come out perfect.
We use the absolute best process for chroming and re-chroming wheels in the industry, but even then there are limiations to what can be done. Your wheels required extra time since one of the fronts was bent, one was warped, and one of the rears was centerbent (you asked to have that re-chromed even though we could not repair it). The wheels that you sent to us required repairs, which can be time-consuming. Many shops would strip and re-chrome your wheels as-is, but we wanted to give you the opportunity to get the repairable ones fixed. We are sorry you are unhappy with the process, but most of the problems relate to the condition in which you sent the wheels to us. We think BMW owners would prefer that we tell them about problems when they try to re-chrome (instead of replace) damaged wheels, and that is why we were so frank with you.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:12 PM
Retired Official Welcomer

Mein Auto: 2007 550i, 2002 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbannock View Post
My name is Tim Bannock and I'm the eCommerce Coordinator at L.A. Wheel. I found this post and wanted to address some of your concerns here, particularly isnce you quoted us out of context in regards to our warning about how re-chromed wheels come out.

We were careful to make sure you understood the issues regarding re-chroming your wheels. Here is a more complete excerpt from the email we sent to you so you would know the limitations of re-chroming wheels vs. chroming a new set of wheels:
When you re-chrome wheels, the process begins with stripping the old chrome off. We cannot be sure of the quality of the casting underneath the old chrome, or how it will look after the strip. There remains a significant possibility, especially with BMW castings, that the casting will have defects that show up after the strip. While we will do the best we can to polish those out, and to mask them with a good copper coat, or even two copper coats, there may still be minor cosmetic defects after the process is finished (when this happens, it most often presents as very small pinhole marks on the wheel, most likely in the windows and pockets we have done rechromes on BMW wheels that look perfect, and we have done some that have these defects). We cannot guarantee that there will be a show quality finish on a rechrome, although we would expect it to look great from a distance of 4 feet. On the other hand, they may come out perfect.
We use the absolute best process for chroming and re-chroming wheels in the industry, but even then there are limiations to what can be done. Your wheels required extra time since one of the fronts was bent, one was warped, and one of the rears was centerbent (you asked to have that re-chromed even though we could not repair it). The wheels that you sent to us required repairs, which can be time-consuming. Many shops would strip and re-chrome your wheels as-is, but we wanted to give you the opportunity to get the repairable ones fixed. We are sorry you are unhappy with the process, but most of the problems relate to the condition in which you sent the wheels to us. We think BMW owners would prefer that we tell them about problems when they try to re-chrome (instead of replace) damaged wheels, and that is why we were so frank with you.
Just my 2 Tim. I have dealt with your company on two different occasions on two different set of BMW wheels. The email above is eerily close to the one you sent me when I sent my wheels in for exchange.

I guess BMW must make crappy wheels because you deducted money from my deposit on both sets because you stated that there were defects. Ummmm......seems to me you've got a pretty good racket telling honest customers that their wheels have defects and holding them hostage because you know the owners need wheels.

Nice SCAM. Let me know when you guys do an IPO, I want some of the action.
2002 M5 Bluewater Metallic~Black & Silverstone leather~All options~MKIV NAV~VMR VB3 Square set-up~3M tint~BT~Intravee II~Ice V5 AE~DINAN Front/Rear Strut Braces~PowerChip Alpha-N tune~Smoked taillights~Ultimate pedals~BSW Stage 1 Upgrade w/Subwoofer~e60 SSK~ZHP Shift Knob~CF Kidneys~CNS Racing exhaust~LED lighting~Hella Euroclear Headlights~Angeleye DRL's~HID Foglights~Dinan Stage 2 Suspension~CNS Racing Clutch~Sink drains~ExoticsTuning CF diffuser/fog light covers~SuperSprint Headers