Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
Limited Edition GT

hmmmm exterior color is nice.......http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2011/03...entennial.html I yield to you guys for further comments
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2011, 11:31 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by car-fan View Post
hmmmm exterior color is nice.......http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2011/03...entennial.html I yield to you guys for further comments
Pure Italian.

I find it interesting that Trussardi chose the 5 GT for this project. I have mentioned on a number of occasions that the 5 GT has road presence and I am sure this was noted by the Italians. Having lived and worked in Italy for a much of my life I appreciate the Italians desire to infuse style with the dramatic. If the mission of the Trussardi 5 GT is to dramatically showcase both the 5 GT and the work of Trussardi in a high profile fashion, then that mission was accomplished. Personally, I would feel uncomfortable driving the vehicle in DC but in LA of Miami Beach - it could be fun. I think the Trussardi logo on the side front quarter is distracting and a little over the top - but that is a minor criticism given the high profile nature of the design.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svanil View Post
Pure Italian.

I find it interesting that Trussardi chose the 5 GT for this project. I have mentioned on a number of occasions that the 5 GT has road presence and I am sure this was noted by the Italians. Having lived and worked in Italy for a much of my life I appreciate the Italians desire to infuse style with the dramatic. If the mission of the Trussardi 5 GT is to dramatically showcase both the 5 GT and the work of Trussardi in a high profile fashion, then that mission was accomplished. Personally, I would feel uncomfortable driving the vehicle in DC but in LA of Miami Beach - it could be fun. I think the Trussardi logo on the side front quarter is distracting and a little over the top - but that is a minor criticism given the high profile nature of the design.
I think it's the point we have both have noted all along. Exterior observations by some aside (nothing new here), the GT is also viewed as a style statement by others. I agree that its interesting too, that Trussardi chose the GT as a platfform to serve as an extension of his sense of style & craftsmanship. I personally think it's hard to improve upon the OEM interior finish and quality of the GT - especially when appointed with Nappa leather.

I would like to see a BMW "Individual" version of the GT.

JMHO
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)
Old 03-10-2011, 01:03 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by car-fan View Post
I think it's the point we have both have noted all along. Exterior observations by some aside (nothing new here), the GT is also viewed as a style statement by others. I agree that its interesting too, that Trussardi chose the GT as a platfform to serve as an extension of his sense of style & craftsmanship. I personally think it's hard to improve upon the OEM interior finish and quality of the GT - especially when appointed with Nappa leather.

I would like to see a BMW "Individual" version of the GT.

JMHO
I agree.

The GT breaks new ground, and does not fit into preconceived notions that are easy to categorize. The GT must be understood and appreciated on its own terms and design mission. So much of the criticism is uninformed opinion and pejorative in nature, indeed, many critics on Bimmerfest have never seen a 5 GT in the flesh, much less driven one. Many critics believe BMW should build only variations of the M3, and in terms of styling, the E39 represents a high water mark. The robust athletic design language of the GT is deemed heresy. As I have said previously, I commend BMW for having the courage to offer a new vision that remains distinctively BMW and true to BMWs commitment to driving satisfaction. It is nice to see the Italian's positive affirmation. I concur with the Italians who understand the reality and potential of the GT. IMHO

Last edited by Capobranco; 03-10-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svanil View Post
I agree.

The GT breaks new ground, and does not fit into preconceived notions that are easy to categorize. The GT must be understood and appreciated on its own terms and design mission. So much of the criticism is uninformed opinion and pejorative in nature, indeed, many critics on Bimmerfest have never seen a 5 GT in the flesh, much less driven one. Many critics believe BMW should build only variations of the M3, and in terms of styling, the E39 represents a high water mark. The robust athletic design language of the GT is deemed heresy. As I have said previously, I commend BMW for having the courage to offer a new vision that remains distinctively BMW and true to BMWs commitment to driving satisfaction. It is nice to see the Italian's positive affirmation. I concur with the Italians who understand the reality and potential of the GT. IMHO
Well said

BTW: I too come from the e39 camp. Bought new it was one of my all time favorites.