Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:00 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi
I Am About To Pull The Trigger On A 550i GT Deal...

...and I need some advice desperately.

I am a diehard 5 series owner and lover. I have been since I purchased my first 1992 535i back in 1994. I went from there to the V8's rather quickly, and stayed with them until I sold my '03 540i in 2010. I then tried the 2008 528xi for a year, and found it too underpowered... moved it out for a 2008 535xi in the summer of 2011 and I have been enjoying it ever since.

That is, until I saw a lovely 550i GT for sale on the used market. I must say that I am smitten. But I am also torn, as I have now had 2 straight years of xdrive, and I am not sure that I want to go back to winter driving a rwd car.

I am hoping that there are others on this forum that have experienced north east (or Canadian!) winters in a 550i GT with no xdrive, and I beg for your insight.

I am not one to linger on decisions, so I want to either make this move fast or wait another year until an affordable used 550i Xdrive comes around.

I must admit that I have grown a bit bored of the same ole thing, and the GT is definitely a big departure from the past. I am in my 50's, and I don't drive as fast or as spirited as I used to, although I do enjoy the power. Good move for me in this climate that I live in?

Thanks to all who reply.

Cheers!
2008 535xi (sold)
2008 528xi (sold)
2003 540i (sold)
2002 540i (sold)
1998 540i (sold)
1995 540i (sold)
1992 535i (sold)
Advertisement
Old 07-19-2012, 03:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
Good winter tires can transform any rear-wheel drive vehicle into a decent winter vehicle. But, driving all four will get you started more reliably and turn a bit better. Stopping should be about the same if you have equivalent tires on either version. The stability control on the vehicle helps to keep you out of some danger, but there are limits. I've only owned 4-wheel drive vehicles for the last 15-years or so, so can't relate to the newest generation with all of the electronic help with a rear-drive only version.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:48 PM
GT = hi&bye

Mein Auto: 550i gt
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsource View Post
...and I need some advice desperately.

I am a diehard 5 series owner and lover. I have been since I purchased my first 1992 535i back in 1994. I went from there to the V8's rather quickly, and stayed with them until I sold my '03 540i in 2010. I then tried the 2008 528xi for a year, and found it too underpowered... moved it out for a 2008 535xi in the summer of 2011 and I have been enjoying it ever since.

That is, until I saw a lovely 550i GT for sale on the used market. I must say that I am smitten. But I am also torn, as I have now had 2 straight years of xdrive, and I am not sure that I want to go back to winter driving a rwd car.

I am hoping that there are others on this forum that have experienced north east (or Canadian!) winters in a 550i GT with no xdrive, and I beg for your insight.

I am not one to linger on decisions, so I want to either make this move fast or wait another year until an affordable used 550i Xdrive comes around.

I must admit that I have grown a bit bored of the same ole thing, and the GT is definitely a big departure from the past. I am in my 50's, and I don't drive as fast or as spirited as I used to, although I do enjoy the power. Good move for me in this climate that I live in?

Thanks to all who reply.

Cheers!
Sorry. Can't lend any info about the non Xdrive in the winter climate. But I am curious to know what kind of deals are out now on used 5'er GTs. Would you care to share?
Old 07-19-2012, 06:15 PM
Lifetime Bimmer Fan

Mein Auto: 2012 535 xi GT
I have thought about this topic quite a bit as I have been tempted to purchase a RWD to get that little bit of MPG gain. I think it comes down to whether you must be out in the bad weather. Do you have to drive to work on those 1-20 days per year when the snow is actually falling while you would be driving? I work from home mostly so I can just wait a few hours for the plows to do their thing. Is there another AWD option in the household? Those are the main considerations. However, each time I try to talk myself into a RWD, I remember those tough times I had just getting up my driveway with my RWD 5-series many years ago and I end up with the X-drive!

You will not regret the GT. I say, keep a watch out and get yourself the xdrive. Then you get to drive it any time you want!
Old 07-19-2012, 08:03 PM

Mein Auto: 09 X5 4.8
can't say i like the idea of rwd when awd is available..
i drove both 2 and 4 wd, and prefer the handling of some power to all four wheels... like the pull in the corners if you push it.. feel the same way about my lil car a c4s just like the grip....
but i do LOVE my GT
mp

2012 GT 550ix Msport (feb12)(ok early march 12)
09 X5 4.8
12 X3 35i (the wife)
09 C4S
61 356 roadster

Last edited by mpress; 08-16-2012 at 06:59 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto: 550i GT
I've enjoyed the last 2 Chicago winters with my RWD 5GT. First winter, I had the stage 1 DINAN tune. Last winter, I had stage 2 DINAN tune.
Get your 5GT, get snow tires, and you'll be just fine.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:24 AM

Thanks for the replies. I have a proposal from the dealer in my hand, and have a hold on it until Monday.

I think I am going to do it. For better or for worse I am clearly dying for something different, and by different I don't mean an Audi or Mercedes. I am BMW through and through.

Cheers!
2008 535xi (sold)
2008 528xi (sold)
2003 540i (sold)
2002 540i (sold)
1998 540i (sold)
1995 540i (sold)
1992 535i (sold)
Old 07-22-2012, 12:58 PM

I know Ontario requires winter tires, not sure about Quebec, but I'd ensure I got some (ideally, on separate wheels with TPMS). I opted for some Michelin PA2 winter tires, and while we did not have a nasty winter last year, have had them on other vehicles and they were fine. Not sure what the choices are this winter, assuming you stay with the RFT, you don't have all that many choices for either all-season or winter tires, especially if you go bigger. The dealers here tend to push the Dunlop winter tire.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:25 PM

I did it! Bought the 550i and took possession today!

Radical departure from my 535xi. Just what the doctor ordered.

Sapphire black on ventilated black Dakota seats. 25,000 km's. Sport package with 20" wheels.

I just know I will be missing that xdrive come December, but what the heck, life is short. The car is loaded with fabulous options that will definitely please me, starting with the vastly improved GPS system. I particularly like that the HUD can be raised or lowered to suit. My wife drove it and the first thing she said was that she thought I said that this car had HUD. Two seconds later I had it clear in her sights. Not sure how much use the seat massage system will see....

Dealer was asking $50k. I got it for less :-). Got a new set of 20" summer tires and an 18" set of winter wheels and tires (2 lightly used and 2 brand new... rims are used but extra clean). Just short of 4 years warranty gives me lots of confidence.

I must say that reading all the topics and posts on this forum greatly influenced my purchase. I think the car is drop dead gorgeous, and like most of you, I cannot imagine how others don't see it.

Thanks to all for your help. I can't wait to drive to work tomorrw!!
2008 535xi (sold)
2008 528xi (sold)
2003 540i (sold)
2002 540i (sold)
1998 540i (sold)
1995 540i (sold)
1992 535i (sold)
Old 07-25-2012, 05:43 PM

You should find it very satisfactory (except for the gas mileage if you are anything but gentle). But for a large, heavy vehicle, it does quite well in that regard, and on a long trip can surprise you at its frugality.

It's a long wheelbase, and you might find yourself clipping a corner or two until you get used to it. It does drive smaller, but it still is a big vehicle!
Old 07-26-2012, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto: 550i GT
Congrats.
Now time to get that DINAN tune...
Old 08-05-2012, 06:23 PM
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black

Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
How are people buying these for $50K? Dealer here want between $70K & $80K for these new. Are dealer's offering $15K to $20K discounts or are you guys just buying used?
http://www.hendrickbmw.com/new-inven...&SBprice=clear

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)
Old 08-06-2012, 08:10 AM
GT = hi&bye

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
How are people buying these for $50K? Dealer here want between $70K & $80K for these new. Are dealer's offering $15K to $20K discounts or are you guys just buying used?
Hello ndabunka, I am in Charlotte too!

Clearly, you won't be able to get a brand new GT for $50k. zsource and others have been able to get GREAT deals on gently used vehicles.... or, in my case, a demo.

If you are stuck on a new GT, then you should research the incentives for 2012 vehicles. Otherwise, a fully loaded gently used or demo GT is easily attainable for $50k and under, depending on the mileage.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Pics or it didn't happen!

Congrats, enjoy the ride
Old 08-06-2012, 11:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535iX GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt=hi&bye View Post
Hello ndabunka, I am in Charlotte too!

Clearly, you won't be able to get a brand new GT for $50k. zsource and others have been able to get GREAT deals on gently used vehicles.... or, in my case, a demo.

If you are stuck on a new GT, then you should research the incentives for 2012 vehicles. Otherwise, a fully loaded gently used or demo GT is easily attainable for $50k and under, depending on the mileage.
That said, if you want new, consider special order -- with a very sharp pencil and careful selection of options, you can control the price point, while configuring a mighty nice car. Better yet, think about European Delivery.

2010 535i: Deep Sea Blue | Natural Brown | ED: 6-Aug-2009 | 2013 535iX GT: Neptune Blue | Venetian Beige | ED: 31-Aug-2012
Old 08-07-2012, 08:24 PM

FWIW, special order can get you certain option combinations that are unavailable for the dealer to order for a 'spec' car (i.e., one that is not already assigned to a paying customer). That only helps if you don't want the 'whole' package option and the individual pieces end up costing less which won't always be the case!
Old 08-09-2012, 12:04 PM

Mein Auto: 550iGT
Quote:
Got a 2010 550iGT, black, oyster white seats, 26k mileage, sports package and two sets of tires and wheels for 45k. Somewhat loaded. Surprised at the price as the MSRP was 73k.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:28 AM

No plans to buy new here. Yep, figured it was used but someone on here posted that they have bought a "demo" for some $20K+ off so it was essentially "new" but I do understand the used car market and have bought nearly all of my cars used either CPO, auction or from private individuals. Only bought 3 new cars over the past 30 years (TL, GX470 & Highlander Hybrid). The CLK55, 740iL, 750Li, Lexus RX, etc were all used so I am open to a used GT (if the price is right). One thing is winter performance.

I want something that can booggie up the mountain without regard to the depth of the snow on the roads to the ski resorts in the winter. That means that I need a place for 4 sets of skiis and all the ski gear in the trunk. Up to now, I have used a Highlander Hybrid 4x4 with a trailer hitch (I have a hitch-mounted ski rack). My concern with the 550GT are the skiis. Where will they go? Not about to drop a hitch on this one and there is no room for 4 sets of modern skiis to go through a pass through. I guess I need to investigate roof racks for this car before deciding anything.

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
Old 08-10-2012, 08:49 AM
GT = hi&bye

Quote:
No plans to buy new here. Yep, figured it was used but someone on here posted that they have bought a "demo" for some $20K+ off so it was essentially "new" but I do understand the used car market and have bought nearly all of my cars used either CPO, auction or from private individuals. Only bought 3 new cars over the past 30 years (TL, GX470 & Highlander Hybrid). The CLK55, 740iL, 750Li, Lexus RX, etc were all used so I am open to a used GT (if the price is right). One thing is winter performance.

I want something that can booggie up the mountain without regard to the depth of the snow on the roads to the ski resorts in the winter. That means that I need a place for 4 sets of skiis and all the ski gear in the trunk. Up to now, I have used a Highlander Hybrid 4x4 with a trailer hitch (I have a hitch-mounted ski rack). My concern with the 550GT are the skiis. Where will they go? Not about to drop a hitch on this one and there is no room for 4 sets of modern skiis to go through a pass through. I guess I need to investigate roof racks for this car before deciding anything.
That someone would be me. I bought a 2010 550i with 6,000 miles about 6 months ago. The car was a demo and had never been titled. MSRP was $92,025. I got it for $51,600... no trade or anything. I flew into Atlanta and picked it up at a BMW dealership after making the deal with a salesman over the phone. It was one of the easiest transactions ever. Check out United BMW of Gwinnett.... no haggling if you're a serious buyer.

I am like you... I buy most of my vehicles from private owners. I have bought three cars from a dealership... two being new and this being my first demo purchase.

This car can definitely booggie! No question about it. I don't think the xdrive option was available in 2010, but is an option on the newer models.

I am not sure of the overall acceptance of the GT in the real world today. Initially, 9 out of 10 people hated the look of this vehicle. I think some dealerships are still feeling the pain of having this car on their lot as it is a niche BMW that many buyers flat out rejected.

If you are really serious about getting a used one, you should have the pick of the litter. They are out there and they are more than reasonably priced!

Good luck!
Old 08-11-2012, 06:24 AM

Some observations, after a little less than 3 weeks of ownership...

This car attracts a lot of attention. I live in a neighborhood that is rich with high end cars, and I get stared at all the time! I get the distinct impression that most people are seeing a GT for the very first time. Of course the sapphire black and 20" wheels go along way in attracting attention... I imagine a GT would be less "obvious" in a lighter color.

Handling is far better than I thought. I do not have the handling option that many of you have. I did drive a demo that had it, and I must say that it works as advertised, but it is not essential. The "comfy" setting reminded me of the suspension on my wife's 1991 Maxima.... (we do not miss that one). This car corners flat and true and can be pushed a little if so desired. The ride is a tad harsh, and it seems that every seam or crack in the road is noticed, but on clean fresh pavement, this car is as smooth and silent as any car I have ever ridden in.

Steering is amazing. My last 2 5's were Xdrive, and my biggest complaint with them is the skitteshness of the steering and the horrible turning radius. In this respect, I do not miss Xdrive. And, this car has less body roll than my last 2008 535xi, despite the extra weight and size.

The interior is both stunning and amazingly comfortable. Forward view is outstanding. The new (to me) Idrive system as well as the large screen GPS are so much better than the last series. I particularly like the little wheel on my steering wheel that allows me to scroll my satellite channels on the little popup window in the instrument cluster.

Negatives? So far, only the fuel economy and rear window visibility. As for the fuel economy, I am happy to report that it resembles what I received in my 2003 540i, about 300km's of mostly city driving. My 2008 535xi did about 375km's in the city, and about 775 on the highway. I haven't taken any kind of road trip yet with the GT, so I have no idea how it would compare yet. The rear window will take some getting used to. I have always been one of those people that could drive quite quickly and confidently in reverse. That is no longer the case!

My apologies to all the regulars that have seen these types of reports rehashed over the past 2 years. As for the newbies, like me, or particularly the lurkers who are reading this forum trying to decide on buying one, I saw go for it. It is a lot of car! I am quite certain that whichever model you choose, 535 or 550, xdrive or rwd, you will fall in love.

Cheers!
2008 535xi (sold)
2008 528xi (sold)
2003 540i (sold)
2002 540i (sold)
1998 540i (sold)
1995 540i (sold)
1992 535i (sold)

Last edited by zsource; 08-11-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt=hi&bye View Post
That someone would be me. I bought a 2010 550i with 6,000 miles about 6 months ago. The car was a demo and had never been titled. MSRP was $92,025. I got it for $51,600... no trade or anything. I flew into Atlanta and picked it up at a BMW dealership after making the deal with a salesman over the phone. It was one of the easiest transactions ever. Check out United BMW of Gwinnett.... no haggling if you're a serious buyer.

I am like you... I buy most of my vehicles from private owners. I have bought three cars from a dealership... two being new and this being my first demo purchase.

This car can definitely booggie! No question about it. I don't think the xdrive option was available in 2010, but is an option on the newer models.

I am not sure of the overall acceptance of the GT in the real world today. Initially, 9 out of 10 people hated the look of this vehicle. I think some dealerships are still feeling the pain of having this car on their lot as it is a niche BMW that many buyers flat out rejected.

If you are really serious about getting a used one, you should have the pick of the litter. They are out there and they are more than reasonably priced!

Good luck!
Interestingly enough I was actually in Atlanta this past weekend (long weekend with the family) and happened to stop in and talked to a sales rep (very briefly) about the two X5M's they had on the lot. The $'s were way beyond my available pocketbook so I moved on (read as wife sitting in the 7-series wondering when I was going to get done talking so that we could get to the hotel). They had lots of cars on the lot though.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:08 PM
GT = hi&bye

Quote:
Interestingly enough I was actually in Atlanta this past weekend (long weekend with the family) and happened to stop in and talked to a sales rep (very briefly) about the two X5M's they had on the lot. The $'s were way beyond my available pocketbook so I moved on (read as wife sitting in the 7-series wondering when I was going to get done talking so that we could get to the hotel). They had lots of cars on the lot though.
I doubt very seriously that you will get the deep discounts on an X5 (M or otherwise) as you would on the GT. It just doesn't exist.

As another forum member put it, "why would BMW continue to sell us cars that are built on the 7 series chassis, for the price of a 5"? It is beyond me, but I'll take it!
Old 08-16-2012, 06:30 PM
GT = hi&bye

For anyone interested, eBay has just listed a 550i 2010 GT with 7,000 miles and a clean carfax. White exterior with cinammon brown interior. Has the 19 inch sport wheels, but no other options except for standard ones. The asking price is $43,975, but I am sure that price could be a bit lower considering that the car has hardly if any extras. Check out eBay item no. 150880230708... it is in New Jersey.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 330xi
used car option

I have been planning on a ED of a new 535 x-drive, but seeing the price of the used vehicles, I am reconsidering looking for a low mileage (less than 10K) given the dramatic depreciation on the car. If you have any experiences in terms of prices paid for low mileage used GTs, please let me know. I haven't seen anything yet in searching various websites, since I prefer a car with either the sports package or M-sport, but definitely need to contour seats.