Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 03-12-2011, 08:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13 335I
what difference between the F25 to the E83

Today I attended BMW X3 Difference Event at Flemington BMW.

Flemington Bmw was little bit of the way for me however the roads around flemington curvy and narrow . ***8207;I drove the X3 3.5, GLK350, & Q5 3.2. There was also a Lexus RX350 their as well. But since already drove the RX350 I did not bother to drive that car.

Out of all the bmw's I ever driven I thought the E83 was the worse. I drove 3 of them(2004, 2005, & 2008) and each one had the same issues. Poor fit and finish, 2nd rate interior materials, too many rattles, & rough ride.

First car I drove was the GLK 350 and the only good about this car was the ride was very smooth on the highway. But the negatives I had with this car is that it had too much body roll and turn signal placement was very annoying. I kept hitting the cruise control stalk every time I wanted to make a turn.

Next car I drove was the X3 3.5 and wow the N55 engine make this car very lively compared to benz and audi. Granted this car has a 30hp advantage to the other 2 vehicles. I also thought the 8 speed ZF transmission was great. The steering was a little bit light and Artificial. Unlike the benz their was no "at play" with the steering. Unlike the Benz their was no body roll when taking the turns. But did the F25 address the main issues I had with the E83.
poor fit and finish- I felt the F25 was put together much better than the E83.
2nd rate interior materials- although the interior was as nice in design as the Q5 I felt the materials were on par.
Rattles-I went over some bumps and potholes during my drive and not once did the F25 rattle.
rough ride- granted the F25 I drove had the sports package however it did a great job in damping the bumps.
Overall the F25 is a huge improvement over the E83.

The last car I drove was the Q5 3.2 the S line package. Overall it was a nice car it had a better interior design than the X3 and the steering had a more natural feel. However like most audi's the steering is very light at low speeds. The handling was good but it was not better than the X3.

So which car would I buy the X3 or the Q5.
Exterior design-tie
Interior design - I would give audi the slight edge
Handling-I would give bmw the slight edge
Steering-since both cars steering felt light at low speeds I would give audi the slight edge since it had a more natural feel.
Engine and Transmission-I thought the BMW had a much better engine and transmission when compared to the audi.
Fuel Mileage- the BMW has better epa numbers than the Audi
Value-tie bmw is a little bit more money than the Audi but Bmw usually has better lease numbers

I would probably pick the X3 over the Q5.

I would like to say thank you to flemington bmw and BMWNA for putting together this event.

Last edited by eazy; 03-26-2011 at 09:09 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 03-13-2011, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Thanks! Good comparo. Remember at these events the "host car" (BMW) is seriously looked over (tire pressure, detailing, etc.) prior to the event. The "visitors" not so much, but in fairness nothing is done (hopefully) to degrade their performance. I found it interesting that two cars with very close numbers (300+ hp) the EX37 & XC60 T6R were not in the selection.

Last edited by UncleJ; 03-13-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:09 PM

Mein Auto: 13 335I
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Thanks! Good comparo. Remember at these events the "host car" (BMW) is seriously looked over (tire pressure, detailing, etc.) prior to the event. The "visitors" not so much, but in fairness nothing is done (hopefully) to degrade their performance. I found it interesting that two cars with very close numbers (300+ hp) the EX37 & XC60 T6R were not in the selection.
Good point on what you about the host car being seriously looked over. As for the EX37 & XC 60 T6R not part of the event is that the EX37 has basically no cargo room and the XC60 like all Volvo is really a blah car. I think included the GLK ( old rival), RX350 (top seller), & Q5 (Critics choice).
Old 03-13-2011, 02:44 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
All true. However there is also the underlying danger that the EX37 and the XC60 300 hp turbo might be a little too close for comfort. It will be interesting to see how they do in objective testing through the cones, skid pad, and 0-60/60-0. Then we will have a good idea of how the latest crop of "cute utes" is sorting out.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 x3
Steering on the 2011 x3 terrible!

What happened to the tight & responsive BMW steering? Test drove the new X3 this weekend and will not buy it! Steering is just like an Acura RDX or Mercedes....nothing tight or responsive about it. Sorry BMW..just lost a loyal customer....from 9 years...currently drive a 2008 x3 LOVE the steering and drive. Why did they make the steering so loose and unresponsive? Which part of BMW did they not get? VERY disappointed customer...
Old 03-14-2011, 05:27 AM

Mein Auto: X3
We also drove an 2011 X3 2.8 this weekend. My wife will defend BMW forever but even she did not like the new X3. Our 2007 X3 handles better, seems more buttoned down and just seems more like a BMW should be then the new X3. I felt as if I were tipping forward in the seat. Yes I had the weird transmission but after the ECM fix it is wonderful.
Looking at a 3 series for button down feeling the new X3 did not have.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 bmw x3, C6Z06
The X3 35i is our first BMW and has sports package, handling package and 19" wheels with perf tires. Compared to the Q5 I test drove, the X3 actually feels like a performance car, and the Q5, an ordinary SUV. Our other car is a C6 Z06 with 535 hp, Michelin PS2's and maybe 1070 fewer pounds. Quite a compliment to the X3, which makes me instinctively reach for the gearshift instead of paddle shifters. If this is the kind of driving you like, the X3's the easy choice over a Q5.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 VW Passat 1.8T
When you say 'the X3 i drove had the sport package' remember that the sport activity package in the US is cosmetic only.

the dyn. hand. pack - and even then you must choose sport or sport + - is what would affect the ride quality. That and 19 inch (summer) tires.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:06 AM
smooth like butter

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i | '14 F15 X5
OP, thanks for the interesting and informative comparo. Incidentally, if you've driven an X5, how does the ride quality compare?

My current E70 has a pretty harsh ride, relative to the competition. I'm blaming this on RFTs. I love that it's steering is tight though - pneumatic - a dying breed in the BMW line-up. In the future, it may be rational to downsize to an X3 if my wife still insists on SUVs. (Although if I had the choice for a "utility vehicle" I'd get the E91 wagon, just love the dynamics of my current 3er).

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
Old 03-16-2011, 08:39 AM
Fountainhead

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
You forgot to compare braking. The Q5 brakes like a pig.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
I went to the X3 Difference Event today. The car looks a little better in person, but the nose still isn't very good looking.

The X335 with the Sport Activity Package was a blast to drive, and braked really well. Handling seemed excellent on the freeway on ramp. Not sure if the car has DHP (I forgot to check that - was in a hurry), but to me the steering felt fine from the short drive. The sport steering wheel is nice. Interior material quality seems reasonable, but the design was ordinary and dash material seems subpar and too much like rubber (well, I guess it it rubber). The car I drove has black seats with white contrast stitches, which make them look very nice and make my car's seats look somewhat outdated. The navigation stuff was a bit confusing, probably just need some time to get used.

I tested the Q5 2.0T also. Engine was pretty responsive. Brake seemed to have too long of travel. Handling wasn't bad, not as sure footed as the X3 I tested. Steering seemed too light, and the steering wheel isn't has nice as the X3. Interior material quality was nice, and the design looked better. Seats weren't as comfortable. The panoramic roof was covered with a thin shade material, while X3's big roof has a solid cover - which I prefer.

Now the big gripe about X3 - no spare, despite some space available under the trunk floor, which isn't big enough for a spare. What's so hard to make appropriate space for a spare? Q5 has an inflatable spare - not great, but at least it's there, usable.

Buying decision will vary based on each person's preference. To me, if sporty handling is key, I'd get the 328iT, despite the lack of spare. If space and utility are more important, Acura MDX. I'm sure there will be plenty of customers getting the X3 and Q5. Both are excellent vehicles.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:51 PM
Fountainhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
I went to the X3 Difference Event today. The car looks a little better in person, but the nose still isn't very good looking.

The X335 with the Sport Activity Package was a blast to drive, and braked really well. Handling seemed excellent on the freeway on ramp. Not sure if the car has DHP (I forgot to check that - was in a hurry), but to me the steering felt fine from the short drive. The sport steering wheel is nice. Interior material quality seems reasonable, but the design was ordinary and dash material seems subpar and too much like rubber (well, I guess it it rubber). The car I drove has black seats with white contrast stitches, which make them look very nice and make my car's seats look somewhat outdated. The navigation stuff was a bit confusing, probably just need some time to get used.

I tested the Q5 2.0T also. Engine was pretty responsive. Brake seemed to have too long of travel. Handling wasn't bad, not as sure footed as the X3 I tested. Steering seemed too light, and the steering wheel isn't has nice as the X3. Interior material quality was nice, and the design looked better. Seats weren't as comfortable. The panoramic roof was covered with a thin shade material, while X3's big roof has a solid cover - which I prefer.

Now the big gripe about X3 - no spare, despite some space available under the trunk floor, which isn't big enough for a spare. What's so hard to make appropriate space for a spare? Q5 has an inflatable spare - not great, but at least it's there, usable.

Buying decision will vary based on each person's preference. To me, if sporty handling is key, I'd get the 328iT, despite the lack of spare. If space and utility are more important, Acura MDX. I'm sure there will be plenty of customers getting the X3 and Q5. Both are excellent vehicles.
The test car probably had DHP. I was talking to the marketing people at my dealership and they said that all the test cars for the event were fully loaded.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
That makes sense. I was busy playing with iDrive and figure out the roads, and didn't even think to adjust/set the suspension mode. Anyway, I think DHP is a must have if you care about handling and steering responses.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fergusona View Post
What happened to the tight & responsive BMW steering? Test drove the new X3 this weekend and will not buy it! Steering is just like an Acura RDX or Mercedes....nothing tight or responsive about it. Sorry BMW..just lost a loyal customer....from 9 years...currently drive a 2008 x3 LOVE the steering and drive. Why did they make the steering so loose and unresponsive? Which part of BMW did they not get? VERY disappointed customer...
This is a good example of different perceptions of the same thing. I owned an RDX, just turned it in, and IMO it drives nothing like the new X3. The RDX steering is sticky and heavy compared to the X3 and it rolls around hard curves. For me, the X3 steering is more responsive than the RDX and it holds the road around curves much better.

However, from what I understand, if you like the drive of the old X3, the new X3 might be just as you've described.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:37 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcA78 View Post
The test car probably had DHP. I was talking to the marketing people at my dealership and they said that all the test cars for the event were fully loaded.
Sorry not true. I have yet to drive one with the DHP. Hence, my lack luster review on the handling of the new X3.

Just seems funny that you now have to spend aprox $1,500 extra to get the handling that I have on my current X3.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 03-26-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
Sorry not true. I have yet to drive one with the DHP. Hence, my lack luster review on the handling of the new X3.

Just seems funny that you now have to spend aprox $1,500 extra to get the handling that I have on my current X3.
Correct. Neither x3 had the DHP at the X3 event today. I actually noticed on the dash of the 35i that the service exclamation was lit! I tried to go through the idrive menu to see what needed checked, but I couldn't find anything. The few things I scrolled though all said "ok". Was curious to see if it was an oil sensor or something else
Old 03-27-2011, 07:46 AM
Fountainhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post

All I can tell you is what the marketing guy said. :P

My car has DHP, and I can test drive it as much as I like.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:06 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcA78 View Post
All I can tell you is what the marketing guy said. :P

My car has DHP, and I can test drive it as much as I like.
Before I got into engineering I was in marketing. Would you like to buy a bridge?

I had more people from BMW give me answer that were wrong, then were right. Marketing is a creative nice way of saying BS.

Part of the reason I got out of marketing. I couldn't keep a straight face and lie all day to people and myself.

They are the antithesis to each other.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more

Last edited by Evlengr; 03-27-2011 at 07:17 PM.