Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 09-12-2014, 12:16 AM

Mein Auto: 528 98 touring auto
Correct power steering fluid

Hi, just a quicky. Is this the correct power steering fluid for my car (98 528 auto)?

Thanks, Nick.
Advertisement
Old 09-12-2014, 03:35 AM
Fastest to daycare

Mein Auto: 99 540iT
Link didn't work for me but I just flushed mine and replaced with Castrol Dex/Merc

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-12-2014, 09:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Yes. Any top-quality ATF is appropriate. DO NOT use power steering fluid.

The link didn't work for me, either.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:03 AM

it says "TRIPLE QX ATF DEXRON II" as the title. Plus all the rest of the crap that I copied and pasted. Does this seem ok?

cessories > Lubricants & Fluids > Transmission Oils > Automatic Transmission Fluids
TRIPLE QX ATF Dexron II 5 Litre
TRIPLE QX ATF Dexron II 5 LitrePart No.: 522776081 List Price 32.39
Was 27.00
Now 17.10 Save 37%
(Online and Click & Collect price only)TRIPLE QXDelivery InformationIn StockFREE Standard delivery available*Next day delivery available(Order before 4pm Mon-Fri)Quantity
PrintPrintEmailEmail
Image: If there is a Brand shown in the picture above
in some cases this may differ from the Brand supplied.
Detailed Product Information
TRIPLE QX ATF Dexron II 5 LitreTriple QX ATF DX IID is blended with the highest quality base stocks and advance additive technology to provide optimum performance for the vehicle. Suitable to be used for automatic gearboxes, power steering units, torque converters and other equipment, for which an ATF Dexron IID fluid is required.GM Dexron IID; Allison C-2
Old 09-12-2014, 10:40 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Link was killed by bimmerfest probably, as it has asterisks in the domain name when I tried it.

Anyway, what you need is found by typing /power steering fluid (of all things), in the bestlinks, which finds, among others:
- PSF: Power steering fluid (1) (2) & power steering fluid flush DIYs (1) (2) (3) (4) & volumes (1)
Quote:
- Power steering: Dexron III ATF Bentley page 020-20. (realistically, that means Dexron VI ATF because all GM Dexron III licenses expired at the end of 2006 & were not renewed by GM). Note: The E39 I6 (i.e., rack and pinion steering attached to an aluminum subframe) does NOT have a power steering drain bolt on the bottom of the steering pump; the E39 V8 (i.e., recirculating ball and nut attached to a steel subframe) power steering DOES have a drain bolt on the bottom of the power steering pump. Replacement Interval: Bentley says it's "permanently filled"; but most of us would replace the hygroscopic power steering fluid at 30,000 miles; some recommend removing the 8 ounces (250 ml) in the reservoir at every oil change - and removing the T20 Torx bolt on the permanent reservoir screen every 5 years to clean the circular filter more thoroughly to prevent cavitation - and to replace the power steering cap o-ring every five years to prevent misting. [Volume: about 2 quarts to replace; otherwise about 1 quart to flush the reservoir twice & clean the filter screen; the fluid level should be between the MIN/MAX marks on the dipstick].
See also:
BMW E39 fluid summary printout for your glovebox (1)
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 09-12-2014, 10:46 AM

Mein Auto: 530i
Wink

The DEXRON II came out in the early seventies. According to Wikipedia, it caused problems with corrosion-prone solder in GM's transmission fluid coolers; accordingly, corrosion inhibitors were added to the product. The resultant fluid, released in 1975, was called Dexron-IID. However, the corrosion inhibitor made the new fluid hygroscopic, which while it was not a major problem in automatic transmissions, made Dexron IID unsuitable for other hydraulic systems in which it was commonly used.

You're probably better off with DEXRON III, which came out in the early nineties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick528touring View Post
it says "TRIPLE QX ATF DEXRON II" as the title. Suitable to be used for automatic gearboxes, power steering units, torque converters and other equipment, for which an ATF Dexron IID fluid is required.GM Dexron IID; Allison C-2
Old 09-12-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemRat View Post
You're probably better off with DEXRON III, which came out in the early nineties.
The op probably won't be able to find Dexron III since the license long ago expired, but, the OP need only get Dexron VI, which is ubiquitous.
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:53 AM

Actually, I did find Dexron iii, so I've pre- ordered it. Thanks for all your help lads
Old 09-12-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick528touring View Post
Actually, I did find Dexron iii, so I've pre- ordered it. Thanks for all your help lads
There really was no need to order specifically Dexron III, since Dexron VI is just about everywhere you look. But anyway, make sure you replace the o-ring and clean the filter inside the reservoir every once in a while.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:13 PM
What Speed Limit?

Mein Auto: 2002 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
There really was no need to order specifically Dexron III, since Dexron VI is just about everywhere you look. But anyway, make sure you replace the o-ring and clean the filter inside the reservoir every once in a while.
How do you clean the filter? I tried that late last year when I changed the fluid on mine and couldn't figure out how to do that? Being a car with 100,000 miles though I did eventually replace the reservoir along with a new PS pump.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by Nfs021; 09-12-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:22 PM
Fastest to daycare

Mein Auto: 99 540iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nfs021 View Post
I did eventually replace the reservoir
Exactly...a new reservoir is less than $20.