Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 05-13-2015, 08:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 528i
Power Steering Pump Replacement

My power steering pump is starting to howl. It hasn't started to effect steering yet, but it is driving me nuts. So, it needs to be replaced. Pelican Parts has an OEM listed for $360.00 or so. But, NAPA has a new one listed at $562.00. They also have a remanufactured pump listed for $93.00. Has anyone had experience with NAPA remanufactured stuff? Any other suggestions on what pump to buy will be most welcome.
Advertisement
Old 05-13-2015, 08:54 AM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Try replacing the ATF in the system before replacing the pump.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:56 AM

Oh, I flushed it and replaced the fluid and added some additive that was supposed to soften up the seals last summer when it first started making noise. It calmed things down some for awhile, but the howl has now returned. I may try that again. But, I'm thinking that replacement is the only thing that is going to really take care of the problem.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:58 PM
Gearhead

Mein Auto: '98 528i, '82 323i
There's one other thing you can try....
remove the filter that's screwed down inside the fluid reservoir. you don't have to take it out of the reservoir, just unbolt it from the bottom of the reservoir so that fluid has direct path down to to the pump. See if the howl still exists or not. IF it doesn't howl, then you can be suspicious that the filter is preventing fluid from filling the pump.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:44 PM

Mein Auto: BMW e39
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHoang View Post
remove the filter that's screwed down inside the fluid reservoir. you don't have to take it out of the reservoir, just unbolt it from the bottom of the reservoir so that fluid has direct path down to to the pump. See if the howl still exists or not. IF it doesn't howl, then you can be suspicious that the filter is preventing fluid from filling the pump.
That filter inside the reservoir is held down with either a T20 or T25 torx screw -you can take this filter out and clean it to save replacing the reservoir, if you wish. However, the reservoirs are reasonaly cheap - around $20 IIRC, plus you'll get a new cap c/w O ring seal to stop the dreaded leak that's so common on all these reservoirs (my porsche 944 has the same one and that leaks too).
Old 05-14-2015, 07:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHoang View Post
Good advice, but in this case, you can be almost 100% sure the pump is toast. Because if it howls with the filter on, it means the vanes (pump) were cavitating due to fluid starvation. Once this happens, major damage occurs. Not to mention all those shavings ending up in the rack. If I were the OP, I would take off the pump and open it to inspect it. If lucky, and the pump looks OK, I would either clean the filter in the PS canister, or to be safe, buy a new canister. If the pump exhibits "chiseling" where the vanes protrude, then the rack has to come out for cleaning. The metal shavings have a high potential of damaging it.

TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 05-14-2015, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rolando View Post
Oh, I flushed it and replaced the fluid and added some additive that was supposed to soften up the seals last summer when it first started making noise. It calmed things down some for awhile, but the howl has now returned. I may try that again. But, I'm thinking that replacement is the only thing that is going to really take care of the problem.

What additive did u use?
Old 05-14-2015, 11:59 AM

Well, upon advice I removed the filter which didn't make any difference. However, I'm terrifically embarrassed with myself because the fluid was absolutely filthy like black sludge. I don't know how I let that happen. That fluid had been in there for less than a year and less than 10,000 miles. So, I think doru is correct; that pump as been grinding itself to dust for some time. Anyhow, I flushed five quarts of fluid through it and it still isn't coming out completely clean. I ran our of ATF.
But, it's a lot better and has quieted things down significantly. I think I'll drive it for a couple of days and then flush it again. I just wonder how much damage has been done to the rack and pinion. O'Reilly's has a rebuilt pump for $110.00 with a life time warranty. At that price one can go through a lot of pumps before they hit the new pump price.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Damaged PS pump due to cavitation (dirty fluid). Thread here. Hope it's not this.

TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 05-14-2015, 04:44 PM

I'll bet that it probably is just like that. I'll limp along for a while longer, I don't have any place far to go and then I'll change the pump. I need to go on the cheap because I'm going broke because of medical bills for elderly dogs. lol
Old 05-15-2015, 04:40 AM

Mein Auto: '98 528
I got a reman pump about a year ago. Its working fine. I think I got it for less than $100 off of Amazon. Some have the bracket, some dont. You can reuse the old bracket, no problem.

When someone says "What year is your Bimmer?", I say "What part".