Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 03-04-2008, 01:47 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Do the four frame jack rubber blocks do anything?

I found out during a brake job that my new blue BMW is apparently missing all four of the rubber blocks that go under the four frame jack points.

Are these blocks needed (what do they do anyway)?
How do they install (do they just "plug" in or "bolt" in)?

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=266819

Last edited by bluebee; 03-04-2008 at 02:25 PM.
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2008, 01:49 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:
They are used as pads for the factory jack. PO probably removed them for access to the tie down holes. They also work well as pads for your jackstands, otherwise I use chunks of 2X4.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: .
They may cause a whistling sound down the road if they are not replaced.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:08 PM

Mein Auto: 02-M5, 01-540iA Sp.
My dealer just replaced three that were missing.
The mechanic mentioned that there could be a whistling noise while going down the highway. I never noticed any such sound, but I said go ahead and replace them.
I have a thing for originality of my cars.

Al. Wise
Old 03-04-2008, 02:10 PM

Are the "jack blocks" required for the BMW jack to work?

Hmmm.. Does the BMW jack work without them?
Or are they required for the funky looking BMW jack to work?

I was searching for a picture and part number on http://www.realoem.com but I can't find them yet.

When I searched for them to find out their exact name, I found this article which bolsters what you guys say about "whistling". This article explains that wind goes up the holes left by the missing "jack blocks" and causes noise to emanate around the windshield
http://bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/tips_pages/liftpads.htm

And, this forum says there was a recall when missing "jack blocks" caused BMW headliners to sag:
http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/e...jack-pads.html
"It's a very much true situation. BeachBunny was tellign me about it a few weeks ago. Apparently it was a recall (at least her car, 98 328iS) so i went to the stealership but they said its not recalled on my car. The headliner sagging is a very ridiculously common e36 problem. The front jack pads fall off on what seems to be every single e36. Air rushes through the A pillar supposedly (maybe B) and cases the headliner to begin sagging. Jack pads are $13 each at dealership."

But, my main question now is whether or not the jack will work without these "jack pads".

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jack.gif
Views:	12809
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	137898  

Last edited by bluebee; 03-04-2008 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: 98' BMW 528i
Replace them..I had some missing ones..I replaced them and the unwanted winds that I used to have where gone..

1998 BMW 528i rolling on 15s
Premium and Cold weather package

MODS- OEM angel eyes
35% tint all around
Old 03-04-2008, 02:13 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
Not safely.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to RacerX0911
Mein Auto: 06 M5, 12 A5, 03 530i/5
i dont think i have them either...
Old 03-04-2008, 03:48 PM

Part 51-71-7-001-650 SUPPORT LIFTING PLATFORM; diagram: COVER LID/DUMMY PLUG $14.88ea

I called the local BMW dealership who stocks these in huge piles.
Part 51-71-7-001-650 $14.88 each (set of 4 = 59.52 + tax).
It's officially called a "SUPPORT LIFTING PLATFORM" (obviously enough).
And it's found in the logical diagram: COVER LID/DUMMY PLUG (go figure).

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	support_lifting_platform.gif
Views:	14148
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	137912  
Old 03-06-2008, 08:54 AM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Mein Auto: 98 540i M62 3.15
I bought 2 for the price your local stealership is asking for: $6.80 ea from Tischer BMW aka Mileoneparts:

http://www.mileoneparts.com/partloca...&siteid=214336

If you are ordering stuff for your Brake Job should just add this part in. New ones are better designed than the older ones with a large push pin in the middle which expands the bracket in the back sort of like a screw expanding and anchor in a sheetrock wall. Now, once the push pin is in, it's hard to remove the jack pads even if you wanted to unless you can pry out the push pin, so consider it a one time replacement from now on so make sure you spray paint the hole if there is any signs of paint chipped.

Last edited by dvsgene; 03-06-2008 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: .
Yeah, Tischer BMW has the best prices on just about everything.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:19 AM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan M View Post
Yeah, Tischer BMW has the best prices on just about everything.
I've found Tischer and Crown to be as lowest as it gets for dealer parts EVEN when you take into account shipping charges. (at least for us guys on the east coast). However, Evan ( great guy at Tischer, ALWAYS HELPFUL and great service) mentioned they MAY be considering flat rate shipping which may wind up benefiting those out on the west coast.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:22 AM
You Lick It, You Own It

Send a message via ICQ to chivas Send a message via AIM to chivas
Mein Auto: 98 540i/6
Quote:
Or are they required for the funky looking BMW jack to work?

I was searching for a picture and part number on http://www.realoem.com but I can't find them yet.

When I searched for them to find out their exact name, I found this article which bolsters what you guys say about "whistling". This article explains that wind goes up the holes left by the missing "jack blocks" and causes noise to emanate around the windshield
http://bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/tips_pages/liftpads.htm

And, this forum says there was a recall when missing "jack blocks" caused BMW headliners to sag:
http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/e...jack-pads.html
"It's a very much true situation. BeachBunny was tellign me about it a few weeks ago. Apparently it was a recall (at least her car, 98 328iS) so i went to the stealership but they said its not recalled on my car. The headliner sagging is a very ridiculously common e36 problem. The front jack pads fall off on what seems to be every single e36. Air rushes through the A pillar supposedly (maybe B) and cases the headliner to begin sagging. Jack pads are $13 each at dealership."

But, my main question now is whether or not the jack will work without these "jack pads".

i wouldn't jack a kid's tricycle with that thing!

It takes a lot of work to be lazy.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:06 AM
Thebizzy.com

Send a message via AIM to Mack
Mein Auto: '02 525i
So these are an easy pop-in DIY install once you get 'em? I have a few missing as well.

Mods: Shark Injected | Magnaflow Exhaust + Resonator | H&R Springs | Bilstein SP Shocks + Struts | TMS Power Pulleys
Eibach F+R Sways | BeastPower Brackets | M-Tech bumpers | Predator ICE V3 + HID Fogs | Eurodyne CF Hood | BSW Sub + Dice + spec dock

[---Quote (Originally by Tex330i)---
You can warranty a turd, that way when you have a problem you can exchange it for a new turd.---End Quote---
Old 03-06-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack View Post
So these are an easy pop-in DIY install once you get 'em? I have a few missing as well.
I did an unofficial "survey" of the BMWs in our parking lot today.

About a quarter of them were missing the "support lifting platform" (aka jack blocks).

The local dealership said there's a "grommet" holding them in place. I'm not sure what that means. Maybe there is someone on bimmerfest who has replaced theirs who can tell us.

By the way, while the E39 BMW "jack inserts" are rectangular, some BMW jack blocks are oval
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=2253807
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ood-bad-19193/

Last edited by bluebee; 03-06-2008 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Uhhh...unless the E39 is seriously different than the E46, I'm not getting why you would either want or have these on your car, since, when you use the OEM jack, the jack head fits into the jacking point on the chassis very snugly, then as the jack is elevated, will not slip out of place.

When you use a lift on the car, or you are planning on placing the car on jackstands, sure, I can understand why you would want these.

I lift my car by the center jacking points, front and rear, and place it on jack stands on top of small milled blocks of wood that I made out of short lengths of 1x2 stock. These block fit up into the jacking points and allow me to rest the car, on the jacking points, on my set of jackstands.

But I can't actually every recall a post where an E46 owner complained about "not" having jack pads - since normally, changing a flat using the OE jack would mean taking the pad off -- so what would be the sense of supplying the cars with the pads in place?

Seriously, not trying to flame anyone, just wondering what the rationale would be for these to be supplied with the car...?

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:54 PM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Quote:
The local dealership said there's a "grommet" holding them in place. I'm not sure what that means. Maybe there is someone on bimmerfest who has replaced theirs who can tell us.
The "grommet" is the push pin the is sticking out in the middle of right side pad that is pictured in your posting. Olds ones did not have them hence they tend to fall off.

Last edited by dvsgene; 03-06-2008 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingspan View Post
Uhhh...unless the E39 is seriously different than the E46, I'm not getting why you would either want or have these on your car, since, when you use the OEM jack, the jack head fits into the jacking point on the chassis very snugly, then as the jack is elevated, will not slip out of place.

When you use a lift on the car, or you are planning on placing the car on jackstands, sure, I can understand why you would want these.

I lift my car by the center jacking points, front and rear, and place it on jack stands on top of small milled blocks of wood that I made out of short lengths of 1x2 stock. These block fit up into the jacking points and allow me to rest the car, on the jacking points, on my set of jackstands.

But I can't actually every recall a post where an E46 owner complained about "not" having jack pads - since normally, changing a flat using the OE jack would mean taking the pad off -- so what would be the sense of supplying the cars with the pads in place?

Seriously, not trying to flame anyone, just wondering what the rationale would be for these to be supplied with the car...?

I am not sure how the E46 works as I haven't seen how it is on your car. On the E39s, you place the pad into a mounting hole on the bottom of the frame. Then if you take a look at Chivas' posting about not using it on a "tricycle" you'll see that in the picture of the OEM jack for the E39 there is a square that fits into the indention on the jack pad. In the E39, if you take the pad off; the square can't fit into the round hole on the frame of the car hence you need the jack pad to fit the square into the square jack support pad. May take some imagination to understand based on just the pictures above but if you get a flat on the road and you don't have the support pad in place, good luck trying to keep the jack from slipping off the frame and good luck with changing that tire. This of cos, may very well be different than a E46.

Last edited by dvsgene; 03-06-2008 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
I'm not getting why you would either want or have these on your car
I learned a lot from you guys.

The answer apparently is ... (at least for the Entwurfen 39) ... You need 'em!

Why? Well, for starters, the BMW emergency jack won't work without 'em.

Problem is ... they fall off all the time (that should be in a recall somewhere if you guys know how to look that up).

When the BMW "support lifting platforms" fall off, not only does air rush up the holes, reputedly generating wind noise and purportedly ruining your headliner, when you're stuck on the road, at midnight, in the rain, on a country road, with a flat tire and a beautiful pristine spare, you'll never git' the car off the ground to change it 'cuz you'll be sticking a square peg into a round hole.

Even though I'm brand new to bimmers, I heartily recommend all of us should carry at least ONE BMW "support lifting platform" in our spare-kits bag or we'll be standing by our bimmers defenseless when it comes time to replace a wheel. Either that, or AAA.

Last edited by bluebee; 03-07-2008 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:21 PM

BTW, if you need 'em, you can get these BMW rectangular jack pads for $7.83 each from KO Performance parts.

I already ordered a half dozen, just so that I have an extra one to keep in the trunk with the jack and a spare for the inevitable!

My only worry now is how to install the BMW jack pads; but I'll wait for the bmw jack pads to arrive before I fret over that!
Old 03-18-2008, 09:42 PM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Quote:
BTW, if you need 'em, you can get these BMW rectangular jack pads for $7.83 each from KO Performance parts.

I already ordered a half dozen, just so that I have an extra one to keep in the trunk with the jack and a spare for the inevitable!

My only worry now is how to install the BMW jack pads; but I'll wait for the bmw jack pads to arrive before I fret over that!
Easy. Insert oval tip into oval hole on frame. Then insert round peg into round hole.

hmmm, sounds kinda kinky. Gonna go try that now.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:43 PM
You Lick It, You Own It

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsgene View Post
Easy. Insert oval tip into oval hole on frame. Then insert round peg into round hole.

hmmm, sounds kinda kinky. Gonna go try that now.
even easier... call AAA

Old 03-18-2008, 09:51 PM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by chivas View Post
even easier... call AAA
I prefer double Ds
Old 03-18-2008, 09:52 PM
You Lick It, You Own It

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsgene View Post
I prefer double Ds
your avatar backs up your claim. very nice!

Old 03-19-2008, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: 92 325i, 00 528i
http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp

Part # 51 71 7 001 650

$7.95 at BavAuto