Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 11-29-2011, 10:15 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
For the cross linked record, anyone contemplating the following engine swap will want to know about this chronicle thread opened today:
- E39 (1997 - 2003) > Hero or Zero - M52 to M54 engine swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikesStillRule View Post
This is the 1st post in a series which will chronicle my quest to swap a M54 engine and manual transmission from a 2003 530i into a 1997 528i equipped with a M52 engine and automatic transmission.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:19 AM

For the cross-linked record, this was posted today:
- E39 (1997 - 2003) > E39 engine swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw-535i View Post
535i e39. (m62b35tu \ 358s2)
My engine suffered water entering the cylinder, as a result - entering a hydro static lock and
pushing the cylinder down and breaking the oil pan ..
I am looking for a new engine but a bigger one. such as :
1) I want to swap to a 4.4l engine (m62b44 \ 448s1) but I am not sure about some things.

-Is the only difference between the s1 and s2 engines (the vanos and non-vanos 4.4l engine)
is 20 N *m (torque) and that the peak power (282 hp) comes in different rpm -
S1 : 210 kW (286 PS; 282 hp) @ 5700
S2 : 210 kW (286 PS; 282 hp) @ 5400
*info taken from wikipedia , correct me if its wrong. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M62

-Will the s1 engine fit to the my car? (I am sure the s2 will)

-Will the 4.4l engine (s2 or s1) work with the ECU from my 3.5l engine?
Considering I will replace all the sensors.

-Will my 5 speed (manual) transmission fit & work with the 4.4 (s2 or s1) engine?

-Is the cost difference ,( 3 times more) between the s2 and s1 , worth it?

2) I was offered to swap to a 4.4l engine from E60 \ E65 \ E63 or E53 - N62B44 .
- Will the engine fit to the car? ( Transmission , mounts , etc. )

3) I also looked for a M5 5 liter engine, but I am not sure - Will my transmission (5 speed manual) fit and work with such a powerful engine?
- Assuming that I have a 6 speed manual transmission from 540, will it fit a M5 engine ?
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 07-17-2012, 07:52 AM

For reference, this thread has some related information:
- > E39 (1997 - 2003) > Which engine do you suggest for my 97 528I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMAX1234 View Post
Hi everyone,

Found out that I have to get a new engine for my 97 BMW 528I. Car is beautiful but I'm trying to find out what engine should I use other than the typical 528I engine. I'm looking for speed. Can you please comment and give links and any necessary info on this!

I believe the 528I engine is the same as the 97 3 series. Would it best for me to put in an M3 engine M5 engine, 540 engine? etc?

Please help. Want to let the mechanic know what's needed so I can get this project started!
In addition, this exasperating thread was opened today, just so we can see the possibilities out there (usually in foreign lands):
- > E39 (1997 - 2003) > motor or engine swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by kofibmw View Post
I pick up a e39 520i 1997 last year from a friend who had a new one, i later found out that actually the it was a 540i turn into 520i with the engine swapped from m62 to m52, now the problems am having are electrical the ECU is that of m50 1992. am confused and decide to change to 1999 or 2000 ECU. i need help here pls
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 540i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
For reference, this thread has some related information:
- > E39 (1997 - 2003) > Which engine do you suggest for my 97 528I?

In addition, this exasperating thread was opened today, just so we can see the possibilities out there (usually in foreign lands):
- > E39 (1997 - 2003) > motor or engine swap
Bluebee, I would definitely go for the hottest M3 engine that will fit and work w/o much trouble. You could also contact someone at your local BMW club. Or you could find a mechanic at a BMW dealer or non-dealer that specializes in only BMW engines. You could also call VAC at 8667142002 or at www.vacmotorsports.com...or..www.bimrs.org. There are more nationally known that specialize in just what you want. Look thru your old Roundels and Bimmer if you subscribe to it

Good luck my friend,
Frank

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy

Last edited by franka; 07-17-2012 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:42 AM

To update the cross-linked record, this similar engine-swap question was asked today:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varsity_Born View Post
Hey Guys I drive a 2000 528i and a good friend of mine suggested I drop a 350 small block into it. I really want to make horsepower but I don't have the money for it if you have any suggestions please say something, Also, I need to know if the small block would even fit I'd want my car to sound mean, please post back Thanks
The answer I provided pointed them here, among others:
Typing /engine F3 in the VERY best of E39 Links nets this, among others, intended to answer the original question before it was asked:
- What engine swaps are most recommended (1) (2) (3) & where to obtain a new or rebuilt head (1) replacement short block or long block (1) (2) & how to lift & remove the engine (1)

As for more power, see these:
- CAI 101 should I do it or not (1) and which is better, stock or aftermarket cold air intake (1) (2) & a home-made CAI (1) & the general consensus on the effectiveness of an aftermarket CAI versus the stock BMW CAI (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & how to reduce the risk of hydro lock (1) (2) & what about a K&N oiled air filter over the stock air filter (1) & a forced induction group buy (1) and adding nitrous oxide to your E39 (1) & links to suppliers to improve performance of your E39 (1)
Old 12-16-2012, 08:48 AM

This was opened today regarding the E46 M54 engine (same as the M54 on the E39):
Quote:
Originally Posted by blendor22 View Post
I want to put a 2.8L 190HP BMW engine from an E36 1997 328ic into my 2001 325ci (E46). The current 325 engine is a 2.5L 168HP. Will it fit and will it work?
Old 12-29-2012, 09:14 PM

This related thread was opened today:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladdin View Post
Does a e39 530i engine fit a 1999 528i?
Old 03-29-2013, 09:40 PM

For the crosslinked record, those contemplating an M62 engine replacement may find interesting information in this thread today:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Junior View Post
I found a great deal on a good used engine from an Import company that sells mercedes benz and bmw used parts...so I decided to call them up and see if they have a used M62 engine non vanos available for my 540i....come to find out they did it was a 88,000 miles motor they was selling for 1100 dollars which I thought was a superb price..so I am contemplating on whether or not to buy this engine... I believe this is an oustanding price...I already did the cooling system overhaul back when I had 160,000 miles on my 540i now I just hit 200,000 as far as the cooling system and suspension etc everything is good..so if I purchase this used engine I wouldnt have to worry about it overheating etc....so my question is should I keep the engine I have on my 540i now and drive it till it breaks?? it still runs strong but I know when the timing chains fail on these cars you can ending up spending close to 2500 to get it replaced aside from other issues going on with the engine....need your opinions
Old 05-13-2013, 06:40 AM

For the crosslinked record, here's someone who is contemplating putting a 540 engine into a 528 body today ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanmiguel View Post
Hi,
i am new to this thread and from what ive read... most say why dont you just sell ur 528i and buy a 540i.. but its too late for me and im poor not rich. i own a 2000 528i sport wagon..it had a l6 in it with a blown head gasket... after getting in to it.. i found a couple block head bolts stripped.. so i time serted every hole.. had the head serviced.. all new exhaust valves..got it back together drove it atleast 300 miles with no problems but had trouble codes to try and fix for a smog. then i was getting on the freeway and the fan came apart dented my hood on a almost perfect body and then it always wanted to get hot on me...i bought a 675 dollar all aluminum radiator and reservoir... electric fan setup and then what i found out is the block was warped.. then i bought a wrecked 1998 540i sedan 4.4 6sp manuel trans and put the rear and front suspension, driveline, transaxle, rear cv shafts motor and trans in my 528i .... so mechanically its all sound. but i know that i was going to have to put the neutral safety switch in and i thought i should put the instrument panel in also BUT there are only two plugs on the auto panel and three on the manuel panel. So i fished out all the wires to the three plugs on the harness of the 540i.... boy was that fun.... so my question is the two plugs have alot of the same exact color wires.... can i assume that they are the same and just put them in the same respective spots that they were in the three plug setup???... i know i will still have more to put all the way in.. like to the grounding distribution blocks and some other special spots... and i still plan on taking it to the dealer to have the instrument panel made all warm and fuzzy but wow this thing is more like a computer than a car... or if anyone has done this and has time to help me i will pay them what i would have to pay the dealer... i live in San Miguel calif... i bought two big ass service manuals 130.00 but im not very good at reading the electrical diagrams... any help is appreciated... thanks Stan
Old 10-14-2013, 12:38 PM

For the record, there is a three-year thread on the feasibility of an M5 to 528i engine swap which resurfaced today, for reference:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > 528i and M5 Engine swap
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay300zx View Post
Need advice I have a friend whos 2001 M5 just got total on the rear he is willing to sell me the entire car, I was thinking in exchanging engines and some other good's that the car has in exellent condition, Just wondering if I M5 has all the engine components working I should not have any problems in swapping the engines, please advice. what are the pro and con's
Quote:
Originally Posted by edjack View Post
Very big job. The electrical harnesses must also be transplanted, including the DME, and what all else. There most certainly will be drive train damage if the car was smacked that badly.

You'll need to have both cars side-by-side as you begin the work. Do you have the E39 Bentley Service Manual? Note that this manual does not cover the M5, so, for that portion, you'll be flying blind. But, it's better than nothing.

You'll need to swap out the front suspension, steering, and engine carriage, as all those components are different.

Also note that the M5 engine is a thinly-disguised racing engine, and it does burn oil, which is 10W60 synthetic, very expensive, from the dealer.

Sounds like a Frankenstein swap to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philboski View Post
To swap over the M5 engine, you will need to change the front subframe, all of the electronics will need to be changed, and the steering system will need to be switched over. Anything is possible, but it would probably be just as easy to either swap in a small block chevy, or buy an M5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurst01 View Post
Man! Such doom and gloom about this. I know this is an old thread, but if you have a donor car sitting right there it is very possible to do something like this. If you go about the attitude that everything is so hard and discourage people, you are doing them a dis-service as well as other readers. It would be another matter if the OP did not have the M5 to use as a donor vehicle. If both are E39s of the same approximate year, if it fit in one of them it will fit in the other.
I had a 2000 E39 528i and it was a super car, one of the cheapest-to-own cars I have ever owned. Since I bought a E60 535i for my wife I sold the car to my Sister because she had wanted it for so long. Turns out that her Step-Grandson kind-of stole the car and trashed the engine. For the same money as purchasing another BMW engine I can build and install a nice Chevrolet fuel-injected LT1, Balanced and blueprinted, stroked to 383 Cubic Inches that will blow the doors off an M5. As everyone was so quick to mention, there will be wiring, motor mount and exhaust issues.
But for the OP, he would have everything he would need to do the transplant and all he got was discouragement from doing it. By doing the transplant, he would learn a lot and certainly would share the information that he experienced with others on the forum. Why would anyone want to discourage someone from wanting to do something like that?
Jay300ZX, it is probably too late to get the car that you were asking about but if an opportunity like that arises again, GO for it. That is how everyone on the forum learns. Because it too difficult for one does not mean that it will be too difficult for someone else. NEVER GIVE UP!
See also:
- How to test an engine for a blown head gasket, cracked heads, a warped block, stripped head bolt threads, cam seizures, contaminated bearings, coolant hydrolock, or piston, ring, or valve damage (1) (2) & what are the major factors in deciding whether to rebuild the engine, replace the engine, or sell the car (1) & what engine swaps are most recommended (1) (2) (3) & where to obtain a new or rebuilt head (1) replacement short block or long block (1) (2) & how to lift & remove the engine (1) & the most recent real-world results from the last 50 people faced with replacing their engine from which this advice came from (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50)
Old 11-18-2013, 12:24 PM

This related question was asked today:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > 97 528i engine swap choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpx View Post
1996-1998 328i e36 to 1997-1998 528i

From this link it looks like a '98 528 would be a good donor, but I also remember reading that mid-97 the on-board computer was changed. Also, local junkyards have helped me before with interchange parts, but now they only list the same year/model as compatible.

I see that the transmission has a choice before/after 12/96 - does that not apply to the engine and the wiring? The car is a '97 528i, manufactured in 03/96. I want to find the exact replacement (one that would't require any changes). Does that mean only '97 models made in '96? Is there a code stamped on the engine that would guarantee compatibility?
Old 11-18-2013, 09:11 PM

Yet another question about engine swaps today ...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > What to do with E39 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANDEEEZY View Post
hey everyone
i have a couple questions to ask, bare with me im still new to a lot of car things (im only 17) i have a 2002 e39 540i the engine needs replacing and i was wondering if there was any other engine i could get to just already make my car go faster when it comes back to life? i was thinking maybe if i could put an m5 engine in there but like i said im still new to a lot of things. most of the stuff me and my dad can do like putting in the engine etc. i could ask my dad more things but since im new here i kinda wanna bond more with you guys, so can yall answer some of my questions like? here goes..
1 obviously the ones i already asked up there^^^
2 can a car be turned from automatic to manual?
3 what is supercharged?
4 if i can put an m5 engine, what else would i have to change?
5 any specific wheels that would look good on an e39? i kinda wanted to get some beyern mesh wheels that are like really nice, but i still have an open mind.
6 what are some other things yall consider me doing?

when i fix my car up a bit more ill post pictures for you guys. really enjoying these forums. ive learned a lot already.
please get back to me thank you!
Old 01-15-2014, 08:36 PM

For the record, this was posted today:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > BMW S62 into 540I

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonricer View Post
Hey guys, I am wondering what is required to put an S62 into a BMW 540i auto.
I don't know as I'm only new but I guess it would only need some electronic trickery, and that's about it.
Can some one please help on this, as I'm not completely sure.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:37 PM

This was also posted today:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > E39 M3 swap
Quote:
Originally Posted by vote17 View Post
Okay guys So my boss picked up an M3 2003 with 43k miles on it..... im wondering what do i need to drop the M3 engine into my 528i i have the whole m3 car with me..... i really need everyone support on this
Old 08-16-2014, 08:00 PM

This was posted today ...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > engine swap - put a 98 540i engine in a 2000 540 i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevercom View Post
Hello all !

I have a 2000 540i, she tragically threw a rod at idle right through the oil pan, so the hunt begins for an engine, we just spent a lot on new parts for her, and just bought it, so we are trying to keep the cost down, I thank you all for all the wonderful information posted on this site, I know the 98 has no vanos and a few less sensors than the 2000 but the engine costs considerably less.
Can we do it?
Will it fit?
Will everything connect the same?
Will any modifications need to be made to make it work?

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks so much. !!
Old 08-18-2014, 04:15 AM

There's some good experiences posted in this thread today, for replacing a blown engine:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Major Decision - replace head or buy "new" engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
Get a low or mid mileage engine from car-part.com. The ones I just saw for a 2000 528i ranged from $2k to $2.5k. That's a lot less than $5,000!

I got a 3.0L motor with 45k miles on it off there for my E46 last year and am very happy I did.