Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 convertible and E86 Z4 coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:50 PM

Mein Auto: M Roadster
2006 Z4M Roadster Battery

Need a new battery for the M roadster. My dealer has an 80 Amp/Hr one in stock but the spec sheet I have calls for a 70 Amp /Hr battery. Does anyone know if the dimensions of the two batteries are the same?
2006 M Roadster; Silver grey metallic with grey top; Beige leather seats with carbon leather interior; Navigation; ZHP short shift knob; LeatherZ armrest; Dinan 3.91 differential; Zeck CDV; Euro Dyne matte black grilles; Windblox tinted lexan windblocker; DIY Clutch Stop; Apex ARC-8 Hyper Black Wheels: Hankook Ventus V-12 Evo K110 tires; Stromung mufflers
Ads by Google
Old 03-15-2011, 04:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 M Roadster Imola/Blk
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyehep View Post
Need a new battery for the M roadster. My dealer has an 80 Amp/Hr one in stock but the spec sheet I have calls for a 70 Amp /Hr battery. Does anyone know if the dimensions of the two batteries are the same?
If you have an O'Reily auto parts, check with them first. They carry a battery identical to the BMW unit but at less cost($155).

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...3321&ppt=C0005

Last edited by chickdr; 03-15-2011 at 04:33 AM.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:45 AM

Mein Auto: 06 MZ4 Coupe
I bought this battery Saturday, perfect match!

Last edited by schwank; 03-15-2011 at 05:46 AM.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:35 AM

Didn't find your posts until after I found an Interstate MTP-48/H6. Also a perfect fit and got it for $125.00 Installed it with no problems and drove a bit last night. Of course, it's raining and snowing today but I did get it washed last night so waiting for some sunshine. Got to re-program the auto up window feature but everything else remained in memory like radio staions, Bluetooth pairing, etc.
2006 M Roadster; Silver grey metallic with grey top; Beige leather seats with carbon leather interior; Navigation; ZHP short shift knob; LeatherZ armrest; Dinan 3.91 differential; Zeck CDV; Euro Dyne matte black grilles; Windblox tinted lexan windblocker; DIY Clutch Stop; Apex ARC-8 Hyper Black Wheels: Hankook Ventus V-12 Evo K110 tires; Stromung mufflers
Old 03-16-2011, 10:37 AM

How did you reprogram the auto up windows? Mine stopped working too...
Old 03-16-2011, 02:27 PM

Here are the steps to re-initialize the auto up/down features:

Erasure of initialization:
- Open door window glass fully
- Operate power window switch in Open position four times within 10 seconds
This erases initialization of the power window, anti-trapping protection and toll function are inactive.
Check whether one-touch control (toll) function is inactive. If not repeat procedure.
(can probably just start with this if battery is removed becuase it will probably be gone)

Reinitialization:
Avoid a break between the two steps
- Open door glass fully
- Operate and hold power window switch in the Close position (second seitch stage)
- Once the upper end position has been reached, hold power window switch in the Close position for approximately 2 seconds longer
- Open door glass fully
- Operate and hold power window switch again in the Close position
- Once the upper end position has been reached, hold power window switch in the Close position for approximately 2 seconds longer

This completes initialization

NOTE: Carry out function check (one-touch control function, anti trapping protection, etc.)

Good luck!
Old 03-16-2011, 05:56 PM

thanks!
Old 04-28-2012, 09:13 PM

Mein Auto: 330i
no issue with AGM and the charge programming of the z4M ECU?
Old 04-28-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330indy View Post
no issue with AGM and the charge programming of the z4M ECU?
Not sure what you are asking. You don't need an AGM battery for a Z4M- either type of that size works fine. Some folks use the Braile lithium ion batteries with not issues to save wight.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:21 AM

I picked up the AGM from O'Reilly due to the fact the stock BMW battery was an AGM.
After some digging it looks like Deka makes them for Napa and O'Reilly.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
I picked up the AGM from O'Reilly due to the fact the stock BMW battery was an AGM.
After some digging it looks like Deka makes them for Napa and O'Reilly.
I had the OEM AGM battery until fall of last year and swapped it for the non AGM from O'Reilly. It has worked just as well and has the same warranty as the much more expensive AGM version.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:57 PM

The 700cca SLA 48EXT is also made by Deka (648MF) and it also has a twin at Napa , the 7548.
They look like excellent quality flooded batteries.
What made you switch ? Was it the extra cash only or something you don't like about the AGM?

Last edited by 330indy; 05-01-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
The 700cca SLA 48EXT is also made by Deka (648MF) and it also has a twin at Napa , the 7548.
They look like excellent quality flooded batteries.
What made you switch ? Was it the extra cash only or something you don't like about the AGM?

It just didn't make sense to pay extra for the AGM when it had no obvious benefit. I have not read anything explaining why it is better than a standard lead acid type. Same size, same warranty, very close in CCA, 30% less cost.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:32 AM
Have Fun... Life is short

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0si
I believe the AGM battery has more reserve capacity (measured in minutes). 60 minutes for the lead/acid and 120 minutes for the AGM. I just replaced the battery in my 2006 Z4 3.0si with a standard DuraMAXX battery from Walmart ($100). The group 48/H6 fit perfectly and has 730 CCA. The group 47/H5 will also work because it is a little smaller. Both made by Johnson Controls. I bought a "computer memory keeper" from Advance Auto for $5 (it plugs into the cigarette lighter) so I didn't have any programming issues.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:52 PM

Mein Auto: ??
Just replaced mine 3 mos ago with Interstate (non AGM) model same size and CCA (i think) no issue. Interstate make a AGM model (same size/type) as well....for an extra $120 bux
Old 11-12-2013, 02:13 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 3.0si
New Battery

I just replaced the original battery after 7 years with a battery from O'Reilly's. All the books said to go with group 47 which was too small. Way too much leftover space compared to the original battery and the retaining brackets did not work properly. I went with the group 48 battery and it is perfect. I lost the auto up/down feature and my trip mileage and mpg which I was saving on the computer. I have been averaging 25.5 mpg over the last 18,000 miles. Now I get to start averaging again.

Thanks to the folks input on the forum for the help with the install and especially with recovering the window feature. I count on your help all the time.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 Coupe and 2003 Z4
Well, I am really upset.....the original battery in my 2003 Z4 2.5 roadster crapped out a week ago...(smile) On a more serious note, I replaced the original BMW battery, (570CCA) with an Advance Auto Parts, Auto Craft Gold battery, Group size 48, 730 CCA. Went in like a charm and the only thing I had to do after install was reset the clock and mpg calculations. Even though the old battery only held 10.75 volts...I left the old battery in the car for several days thinking this would be enough to maintain memory functions, and apparently it did. Before I took the old battery to Advance for core exchange, I hooked up an old (good) battery I had in the garage and connected it to the pos/neg clamps in the trunk with jumper cables until I returned with the new battery. Not sure all my precautions had any influence on my trouble free hook up, but thought I would pass it along.

Last edited by ZEEBOY; 11-18-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 2.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEEBOY View Post

Not sure all my precautions had any influence on my trouble free hook up, but thought I would pass it along.
None of that precaution was necessary. You'd only need to reset the clock after the exchange.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 Coupe and 2003 Z4
Kalali, thank you for the insight on the battery change over. I was surprised though, because the Advance Auto Parts stores in the Dayton, Ohio area now refuse to install their batteries on sight into Z4's due to the numerous (according to them) residual electrical issues after install. This did not bother me though as I was taking the battery home to do the install myself. My car/battery is performing very well after new battery install and battery readings with the car running are 14.7 volts. I am still leaning toward the issues being caused by some owners taking the battery out for a protracted period of time before installing the new battery. I have nothing to back this up, perhaps others with more knowledge can throw some light on this.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:02 AM

The car could go into transport mode which would cause issues with the AC etc. If the battery dies and you replace it right away- just clock and windows need resetting.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0si
I've had my battery disconnected for weeks at a time, when doing things like changing the seats, doing multimedia wiring, etc. Never had a problem when reconnecting the battery - I reset the time and reinitialize the windows (if needed).