Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY

5 Series DIY
Knowledge Is Power! ~ The place for do-it-yourself threads on a variety of topics. Start a thread describing a particular job (oil change, cooling system overhaul, brakes, shocks and springs, etc.) or search for one you need help with!

Old 02-13-2004, 05:37 AM

Mein Auto: E39 528i SE
Question Door Speakers in E39

The passenger door speaker on my E39 528i SE has packed in - it just makes a mufflwed noise now. Anyone any idea how much effort is involved in changing it yourself, given the door airbag, etc.

Also, anyone know where to get new ones from? And how much they are? Or if you can fit any better ones straight in with no modification?.

The tweeters seem ok, its the bigger speaker that is faulty.

Ta,
Stewart
Ads by Google
Old 02-13-2004, 10:19 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 98 528i 5spd, 99 528iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by stew_mclean
Anyone any idea how much effort is involved in changing it yourself, given the door airbag, etc.

Also, anyone know where to get new ones from? And how much they are? Or if you can fit any better ones straight in with no modification?.
Take a look at this page http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/t...%20Project.htm it describes what is involved into speaker R&R also it mentiones that MB Quart RSB 215 were used for replacement. Since you will be changing one side you might want to change other side as well in order to match speakers.

I've seen brand new MB Quart RSD213 on ebay for ~90 + S&H they seem to be same dimension as RSB215 (5.25 woofer and 1" tweeter). Here is an example (I have no relation to seller - just found auction through search) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=32818

Some say that MB Quarts sound too harsh some say they sound nice - so you will have to decide what brand to go with.
Old 02-13-2004, 01:13 PM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by stew_mclean
The passenger door speaker on my E39 528i SE has packed in - it just makes a mufflwed noise now. Anyone any idea how much effort is involved in changing it yourself, given the door airbag, etc.

The tweeters seem ok, its the bigger speaker that is faulty.

Ta,
Stewart
Do u have the 10-speaker US spec sound system in your car? I ask because this system has an amplifier in the trunk that has 10 separate output channels that are frequency limited specifically for the speaker they drive. If you have this system, you have 3 speakers in your front doors: a mid-bass, midrange, and tweeter. Replacing one, or all, with aftermarket drivers will not be a 100% sonic match to what is in the rest of the car.

If I were you, and you're happy with the factory setup, I'd look around for a used replacement from someone who may have upgraded their system. I can't imagine a new mid-bass driver from a dealer would be terribly expensive either, that is also an option.

Replacing it is very easy. The instructions (and most of the pictures) on the website referenced were actually put together by me a number of years ago. If you have any questions, I am more than happy to provide more information. I've since done the upgrade on my 2002 E39, the wiring was slightly different on this car than the 1999. The site that outlines my 1999 upgrade can be found here.

Good luck!

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin