Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 750Li
Deep and fine scratches

Okay so I wake up to a nice set of scratches on the trunk of my 750Li. Does anyone know an easy way to fix it myself and what products to use. Also, I want to help hide it by purchasing an Alpina B7 spoiler anyways, does anyone know where I can purchase it? PS- the picture ooks way worse and that's because the shingle that hit it left brown marks that came off after I washed it. Thanks for any info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20110215-00710.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	270320  
Ads by Google
Old 03-14-2011, 03:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW745I E65 ,BMW318 IS 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genc50 View Post
Okay so I wake up to a nice set of scratches on the trunk of my 750Li. Does anyone know an easy way to fix it myself and what products to use. Also, I want to help hide it by purchasing an Alpina B7 spoiler anyways, does anyone know where I can purchase it? PS- the picture ooks way worse and that's because the shingle that hit it left brown marks that came off after I washed it. Thanks for any info.
Now that is nasty,still don't know why people do such things,accidents happen but why walk away with out somekind of a reason at least leave a note with the words sorry if you don't wanna pay for the damage,hope your insurance covers this it think so good luck man i think giving it a new paint will be cheaper then a B7 trunk
Old 03-14-2011, 03:23 PM

Mein Auto: '03 745Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastcombo View Post
Now that is nasty,still don't know why people do such things,accidents happen but why walk away with out somekind of a reason at least leave a note with the words sorry if you don't wanna pay for the damage,hope your insurance covers this it think so good luck man i think giving it a new paint will be cheaper then a B7 trunk
Honestly, that doesn't look like vandalism, it looks like someone placed something on the trunk and then took it off but didn't pick it up enough.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:26 PM

Mein Auto: BMW745I E65 ,BMW318 IS 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by samadkins29 View Post
Honestly, that doesn't look like vandalism, it looks like someone placed something on the trunk and then took it off but didn't pick it up enough.
Good point Sam didn't thought of it
Old 03-14-2011, 04:40 PM
David

Mein Auto: E63 M6 & E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genc50 View Post
PS- the picture ooks way worse and that's because the shingle that hit it left brown marks that came off after I washed it.
Sounds like a shingle blew off the roof...

2008 E63 M6 - Black Sapphire - Sepang Bronze Full Merino - Carbon Fiber Trim - Alcantera Headliner - SMG - HUD - Soft Close Doors - Comfort Access - Individual Audio w/Sat and HD Radio
2009 E92 335i - Black Sapphire - Black Dakota - Burl Walnut - Sport - Premium - Cold Weather - Navigation - L7 - Comfort Access - Smoker's Package

Member: BMWCCA #471614
Old 03-14-2011, 04:43 PM

Mein Auto: '03 745Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Db750 View Post
Sounds like a shingle blew off the roof...
haha, totally missed that... fml
Old 03-14-2011, 05:05 PM
live like no one else

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 750LI
You can try some 3m with light grit wax and buff it out but if that doesn't work I have seen a new touch up technique this quick repair guys use. The use a squigge and pour paint over scratches, then buff it out, it was amazing.

2007 750 LI
Yes its my style and those ARE 20's
Old 03-14-2011, 06:53 PM

Mein Auto: Many things
That looks like it will require some wet sanding with 1500 then some polish to do final clean up

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
Old 03-14-2011, 09:34 PM
Major

Mein Auto: 745 li
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPAULY View Post
That looks like it will require some wet sanding with 1500 then some polish to do final clean up

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
Only if it's not deep to the clear coat 1500p it is with soap and water don't go to crazy on it tho. If u were here I could help u bc I have all the buffing tools and products. But it looks pretty deep u should be able to repaint it for 300$ easy. I really can't tell anything from the picture u can go to any detail shop and they will tell u If it's possible to just buff it of or it's too deep and u need to repaint it.
I've fixed some minor scratches on my car but the ones to the clearcoat even tho they are not to big are really hard to get rid of. Just ask guys at the detail shop doesn't take too much effort. Good luck.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:27 PM
info@e92-lighting.com

Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
Mein Auto: 335i
ouch, that is pretty bad.. sorry to hear
Old 03-15-2011, 01:36 PM

Mein Auto: Many things
Quote:
Originally Posted by ***CCCP*** View Post
Only if it's not deep to the clear coat 1500p it is with soap and water don't go to crazy on it tho. If u were here I could help u bc I have all the buffing tools and products. But it looks pretty deep u should be able to repaint it for 300$ easy. I really can't tell anything from the picture u can go to any detail shop and they will tell u If it's possible to just buff it of or it's too deep and u need to repaint it.
I've fixed some minor scratches on my car but the ones to the clearcoat even tho they are not to big are really hard to get rid of. Just ask guys at the detail shop doesn't take too much effort. Good luck.
You mean if it's not too deep to the base coat, the clear coat is what he would be sanding to remove the scratches. From the photo it's hard to tell if there was transfer from what scratched the paint of it if went through the clear and base to the primer, but a quick visual with some polish will tell for sure.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:34 PM
Major

Mein Auto: 745 li
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPAULY View Post
You mean if it's not too deep to the base coat, the clear coat is what he would be sanding to remove the scratches. From the photo it's hard to tell if there was transfer from what scratched the paint of it if went through the clear and base to the primer, but a quick visual with some polish will tell for sure.
Yes primer or base code. I was too sleepy when I was typing this msg. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:13 PM

Mein Auto: 745i
That doesn't look deep at all. And yeah, I was sure you could wash off some of that.

It looks just like when my friend ran his car into the garage (Lmaoo), the white paint got on the car like that - most of it was washed off.

All you need to do is scrub, wax, and buff it out - it should be fine. I assume there are not many scratches on it right now anyway, but if this doesn't work then get a touch up pen or paint. wax and buff it out again.
Shouldn't be noticeable at all.

Good luck!