Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 03-14-2011, 03:19 PM

Mein Auto: 528e
maybe gonna buy an 85 528e-possible problems

so heres the thing my brother-in-law wants to sell his 85 528. he is willing to sell it to me for $500. the problem is it has a miss in the motor, yes i know this is like a needle in a haystack without seeing the car, but what I'm wondering is if there is a common cause like the computer running the injectors or if it could be as easy as a tune-up. Any info would help.

Last edited by mic_key_6; 03-18-2011 at 04:59 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 03-14-2011, 03:45 PM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic_key_6 View Post
so heres the thing my brother-in-law wants to sell his 85 528. he is willing to sell it to me for $500. the problem is it has a miss in the motor, yes i know this is like a needle in a haystack without seeing the car, but what I'm wondering is if there is a common cause like the computer running the injectors or if it could be as easy as a tune-up. Any info would help.
Start with the easy stuff; new plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor, air filter, clean all the electrical connections, throttle body and IAC valve real well, maybe even adjust the valves. Make sure everything is in good working order. Examine the plugs carefully when you remove them. Their condition may lead you to the problem, or at least which cylinder is misfiring. A compression test might be in order too. Could be ignition, could be a sticking valve, carbon deposits, who knows? For $500 you're not risking alot of money and you might end up with a very nice car.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:54 PM

thank you for the advice. to be frank the 500 isnt really what im worried about its the cost to get it running properly. From what ive heard the parts for these cars can get really expensive.

you are 100% on the money with the 500, great original paint flawless body.
It just needs some seat covers and the miss found and fixed.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:02 PM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic_key_6 View Post
thank you for the advice. to be frank the 500 isnt really what im worried about its the cost to get it running properly. From what ive heard the parts for these cars can get really expensive.

you are 100% on the money with the 500, great original paint flawless body.
It just needs some seat covers and the miss found and fixed.
Most parts aren't expensive, especially if you're a smart shopper. Lots of good used parts are available and the maintainance items I listed should all cost about $200 or so total. Start with a Bentley's manual, it will be your best investment.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:10 PM

thank you again I think i will probly go for it and hope for the best I dont think it has any major problems my brother-in-law is one of those guys without a single mean bone in his body and wouldn't screw me over. I'll put it this way he would probly buy the car back if it was too much for me to handle. Come to think of it i don't know what i was worried about in the first place. Again many thanks and I'll throw up a pick when i get it