Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 03-14-2011, 09:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 550i / 2011 X3 35i
Cargo area carpet

Did anyone else notice that the carpet on the side panels of the cargo area are a different (cheaper?) material than the center floor panel? I noticed this when opening the tailgate with direct sunlight falling on the carpet. The side panels seem to be the low end material used in the trunks of the 3 and 5 series. At first I thought it might have been a manufactuering error, as there are low end X3s with the "lesser" carpet throughout the cargo area, but no, the X3s at the dealerships are the same.

This is a really low-ball cost cutting measure. I've had the car for a few weeks, and while I still love the way this 35i drives, I have been noticing more and more cost cutting measures. From the cheap plastic lower door panels (with obvious seams) and door bins to this carpet, the cost cutting is becoming more and more obvious. Maybe these things will be addressed when the F25 gets its LCI in about 3 years.
Advertisement
Old 03-15-2011, 08:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 F25
The panels on the side are definitely a different material, as I noticed that velcro adheres to to 2 side panels but not to the center panel. Not sure about the cost factor, but I wish the material was contiguous as I have a folding grocery bin (with an insulated compartment) that anchors with velcro. Used to work fine in my past BMW trunks, now it only anchors on one side.

The center panel can be turned over and has a harder surface. The value of this feature was explained by the BMW sales people, but it was so brilliant that I cannot recall what it was.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0 & LCI 328i
I noticed the same thing. Between the crap-tastic plastic on the bottom of the doors and the trunk liner-like "carpet" on the sides of the cargo area, I almost feel like it's 1/2 BMW and 1/2 Hyundai (or something). The only thing they could have done worse would be to use cloth between the seats where the leather cannot be seen (like chevy, ford, etc.).