Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
Thumbs down Oh No...!! the dreaded "Top Not Locked"

Well, after six months of wedded bliss with my vert, the dreaded "Top Not Locked" message struck this morning when I was putting the top up for the drive on a chilly morning. Now, time to search and read all those other threads with good advice on this issue. Fortunately, she's still under base warranty and no-cost service, so hoping to avoid spending any money... just the hassle of dealing with it, especially when the weathergirl is predicting the best weather of the year this weekend. wish me luck.

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Ads by Google
Old 03-16-2011, 06:44 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
I would bet any amount of money that it's a sensor malfunction. Not an uncommon problem with the vert. You're under warranty, so hurry and get your ride to the dealer so you won't miss out on too much of the good weather.

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 03-17-2011, 04:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650i Convertible
Hey, Gregb, could I ask how many miles you have on your car? Btw, I've been following this (ridiculous) problem; it's one of the main concerns I had about the vert, and the whole thing is really odd. So, the explanation that BMW gives is that for some reason the sensor that reads this portion of the top mechanism is now not reading that portion correctly. This could be because (1) the sensor has malfunctioned, or (2) that for some climate related reason, the top mechanism has expanded or contracted and therefore has moved out of the range of the sensor. Hence, it thinks the top is unlocked, when in fact, it is locked. The solution therefore is to (1) replace or repair the sensor (in case that part is malfunctioning), and (2) to readjust the relationship between the sensor and the top mechanism (for a more robust reading).

Now, if the problem is (1), then a simple replacement of the sensor should solve the problem. However, a lot of people have reported that the problem has persisted even after replacement of the sensor. If the problem is (2), then, it begs the question: Why now? Most people live in the same area with the same typical climate fluctuations while they've owned their cars. They've owned their cars for years without problems, but all of a sudden, we are expected to believe that these normal climate fluctuations are kicking the relationship between the sensor and top mechanism out of whack?? Sounds unconvincing to me. Also, some members have reported that they keep their cars in covered garages, and yet have developed these problems (while the car was sitting in the garage overnight).

Another solution I've heard about (but only once in the many threads) is that one member got the computer module that controls the top (it's the one that the SmartTop module taps into) to be replaced, and last I heard, that worked. But, I haven't seen this done very frequently. But, it seems logical. It could, of course, be the case that it is the sensor that has gone bad. But, if this was the case, then a replacement of the sensor (and a proper repositioning of the sensor in relation to the top mechanism) should solve the problem. However, if this problem persists, then, perhaps it isn't the sensor that is the problem, but the module that is interpreting signals from the sensor that has gone bad. So, the sensor tells the module that the top is locked like it always did, but the module intermittently misreads the signal because the interface between the module and the sensor has gone bad.

This is just a guess on my part, of course, but, if your problem persists, you may want to press your SA to do more than just stick to the (illogical) SIB?

In any case, hope your top issue is permanently taken cared of soon.

2006 550i, Monaco Blue, Beige Leather, STEP Auto, Nav, Cold Weather, Premium Package.

Sold - 2006 330i, Monaco Blue, Beige Leather, STEP Auto, Nav, Cold Weather, Premium Package.

Sold - 2006 SLK350, Iridium Silver, Black Leather, 7-speed AT, Comfort Package, Heating Package.

Sold - 2006 530i, Titanium Gray, Black Leather, STEP Auto, Nav, Cold Weather, Premium Package.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:24 AM
Sejanus

For a few members here the problem has been persistent. For me, I only had this problem with my first 6 convertible, an `05 645Cic, and it never reoccurred after replacement of the sensors. The convertible tops on my `07 650i and `08 M6 always worked flawlessly.

-Morpheus
Old 03-17-2011, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslierc View Post
For a few members here the problem has been persistent. For me, I only had this problem with my first 6 convertible, an `05 645Cic, and it never reoccurred after replacement of the sensors. The convertible tops on my `07 650i and `08 M6 always worked flawlessly.
That's great to hear! You've definitely made me feel much better about my '07!

2006 550i, Monaco Blue, Beige Leather, STEP Auto, Nav, Cold Weather, Premium Package.

Sold - 2006 330i, Monaco Blue, Beige Leather, STEP Auto, Nav, Cold Weather, Premium Package.

Sold - 2006 SLK350, Iridium Silver, Black Leather, 7-speed AT, Comfort Package, Heating Package.

Sold - 2006 530i, Titanium Gray, Black Leather, STEP Auto, Nav, Cold Weather, Premium Package.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:33 AM
Sejanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by suntan View Post
At bottom, these cars are machines, albeit fantastic ones. For me, in a car as technologically sophisticated as the 6 Series, a flawed sensor is not even a minor irritation. Having owned 3 of them, I would not hesitate to recommend a 6 series convertible as the "ultimate" having the time of your life while "driving machine!"

-Morpheus

Last edited by Leslierc; 03-17-2011 at 06:28 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by suntan View Post
My '04 had the problem to the nth degree (10 visits to the dealership in 9 months and they replaced my entire top). I attribute that to it being the first model year. Not a single issue with my '08.

2012 650 Coupe - Alpine White / Black Interior / M Package / Premium Sound
Previous Bimmers:
2008 650i Convertible - Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown Pearl Leather / Premium Sound / Sport / Cold / Comfort Access / Lane Departure / HD Radio / Sat Radio
2004 645Ci Convertible - Reverse Sensors / Reverse Camera / Retro iPod
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Old 03-17-2011, 06:38 AM

Tried last night to manually lock and unlock the top (it was almost fully closed when I initially got the error message, with the windows down). So now, top closed/locked and windows stuck down.

I bought it off-lease CPO from a dealer in Greenvile (one owner) at about 38,000 miles six months ago. The service records I reviewed showed one earlier visit for top malfunction at 34,000 miles. I now have about 45,000 miles on it, and have had the top down about 30% of the time (at every opportunity, even if cool, by using the windscreen)

As far as temps being the cause, I don't think that's the case here. I keep it garaged at my home at night and in a fully-enclosed basement garage during the day at the office. In fact, I had left the top down overnight in my garage, and it malfunctioned in the morning when I was putting it up (at a cool 45 or 50 degrees, but no different than the cool temps here in Atlanta over the last six months).

Agree that it's probably a sensor - will call the dealer today to get it serviced, and report back.

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Old 03-17-2011, 07:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe
You can manually roll up the window. It's in the manual.

2012 650 Coupe - Alpine White / Black Interior / M Package / Premium Sound
Previous Bimmers:
2008 650i Convertible - Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown Pearl Leather / Premium Sound / Sport / Cold / Comfort Access / Lane Departure / HD Radio / Sat Radio
2004 645Ci Convertible - Reverse Sensors / Reverse Camera / Retro iPod
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Old 03-17-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregb View Post
Tried last night to manually lock and unlock the top (it was almost fully closed when I initially got the error message, with the windows down). So now, top closed/locked and windows stuck down.

I bought it off-lease CPO from a dealer in Greenvile (one owner) at about 38,000 miles six months ago. The service records I reviewed showed one earlier visit for top malfunction at 34,000 miles. I now have about 45,000 miles on it, and have had the top down about 30% of the time (at every opportunity, even if cool, by using the windscreen)

As far as temps being the cause, I don't think that's the case here. I keep it garaged at my home at night and in a fully-enclosed basement garage during the day at the office. In fact, I had left the top down overnight in my garage, and it malfunctioned in the morning when I was putting it up (at a cool 45 or 50 degrees, but no different than the cool temps here in Atlanta over the last six months).

Agree that it's probably a sensor - will call the dealer today to get it serviced, and report back.
Thanks so much for the information, Gregb! 45k miles isn't really a lot of miles at all. Please do let us know what your dealer says, ok? I hope everything gets worked out properly for you soon so you can go back to enjoying your lovely car!

Old 03-17-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslierc View Post
At bottom, these cars are machines, albeit fantastic ones. For me, in a car as technologically sophisticated as the 6 Series, a flawed sensor is not even a minor irritation. Having owned 3 of them, I would not hesitate to recommend a 6 series convertible as the "ultimate" having the time of your life while "driving machine!"
Don't want to kick this thread off topic, but I have sort of a rim fetish, and, well, don't take this the wrong way, Leslierc, but the rims on that 7 in your sig are pretty darn hot! They'd look so good on my 6!

Old 03-19-2011, 06:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
My top unlock issue has been intermittent. Luckily it has not happened in a while. I read somewhere (I cannot recall what forum though) that using the key to open/close the top can be a contributor to this problem? Not sure this is true, but I was using the key fob to put the top down, and sometimes using the physical key in the keyhole to raise the top. My problems started when I was using those two methods. I have not used the key to raise/lower the top in many months and have not had any top unlock issue since. Could just be a coincidence?

Anyway, go to the dealer while the error occurs. I had this happen 3 or 4 times, tried to get to the dealer but the error did not manifest. It also did not save as an error in the ECU. I took it in under warranty but they found nothing, then I took it in a bit later under CPO, again they found nothing. But they did tell me that if the fix was a sensor adjustment I would have to pay, if it resulted in a sensor replacement then I was covered. I say all of this because I have seen some on here say that you want to get this problem "logged in" while under warranty, as if that would entitle you to the problem being covered after the warranty is expired. That was definitely not the case at my dealer.

Good luck!
Old 03-20-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampamark View Post
I read somewhere (I cannot recall what forum though) that using the key to open/close the top can be a contributor to this problem? Not sure this is true, but I was using the key fob to put the top down, and sometimes using the physical key in the keyhole to raise the top. My problems started when I was using those two methods. I have not used the key to raise/lower the top in many months and have not had any top unlock issue since. Could just be a coincidence?
Hmmm...it shouldn't matter to the mechanism or the sensor how you open the top per se, I would think. The difference may be that if you are using your key to open/close the top, then the engine isn't running and maybe what is happening is that the battery is getting drained? Apparently, battery issues can lead to a lot of weird fault codes coming up. Maybe we should check the state of the battery if this issue comes up for any of us again?

Old 03-20-2011, 03:01 PM

Good question, I don't know if that is the reason or not. But I have not had the error in months and the only thing I am doing differently is not using the key to open/close. Could it be that it loses track of the top position? I would lean more towards a battery issue knowing the history on the board.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampamark View Post
Good question, I don't know if that is the reason or not. But I have not had the error in months and the only thing I am doing differently is not using the key to open/close. Could it be that it loses track of the top position? I would lean more towards a battery issue knowing the history on the board.
Let's see what Gregb's dealer tells him. Would be very interested to know. Very glad to hear that your top issue appears to be solved though, Tampamark. *knock on wood, of course*

Old 03-20-2011, 06:43 PM

Yeah, me too! I am just now comfortable putting the top down often. At first, after a couple of issues, there were times that I would get in the car and think it would be perfect to go topless for a bit. Like you say, *knock on wood*
Old 03-21-2011, 08:39 AM

Guys, Thanks for all the thoughts and helpful comments. Well, here's my dealer story... in short, everything worked out great.

I managed to get the top manually locked last week but left the windows frozen down b/c I wanted to make sure the error was still there for the dealer to see. Called the dealer on Thursday to try to make an appointment to come in (and get a loaner). They were booked with no loaners but they said bring it in on an emergency basis and they would look at it. Came in on a busy Friday afternoon and my regular service advisor was out, so I worked with the service area supervisor (I had gotten his name ahead of time from the booking receptionist, so I asked for him when I arrived). I was friendly and "chatted him up" - he logged the car in and said it would be a minimum full-day job to check it out. He acknowledged that the vert top issues with the six were fairly common (quote "that's the only thing on them that goes wrong"), mentioned a rough experience a few years back where they had to fully replace a top, but said typically they were able to fix with adjusting/replacing the sensors. He also managed to hook me up with a loaner and said they would call me with an update on Saturday.

Got the car back Saturday afternoon (within 24 hours) - the top was fixed by adjusting a couple of sensors - no charge. put the top up and down the last couple of days every chance I got (probably half a dozen times), and no issues. Overall, very pleased with the dealer's excellent service on short notice (especially since I bought the car CPO from another dealer). here's hoping the fix works long-term.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:37 AM

Glad this worked out well for you! My experience was just the opposite. When I mentioned the top unlock error my adviser claimed that he had never seen it before. I mentioned it seems to be common and he had never seen it before. I find that hard to believe being down here in Florida.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:53 AM

sounds a little sketchy that a dealer would not have had at least one vert with a problem. Then again, the dealer here in Atlanta has a very large service operation (on Friday, they had a least a dozen SA's on the floor, and my usual SA had the day off), so they have probably seen quite a bit.

As far as opening/closing top from fob/key vs. interior switch, I've used the interior switch almost all of the time with engine running, with the rare drop of the top remotely with the fob.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:57 PM

Many many thanks for the update, Gregb! Very glad to hear that things worked out for you!

Old 03-21-2011, 04:08 PM
Sejanus

I'm happy to learn that your top problems were fixed in such quick order. Now, get out there and enjoy the good weather!

-Morpheus
Old 03-21-2011, 08:12 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Nice to see a happy ending "top not locked" thread. So glad it worked out for you.

The stories of 10+ trips to the dealer were beginning to scare me.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 03-22-2011, 06:07 AM

Mein Auto: 650i Convertible
Glad this worked out well. I experience it only once with my 08 and took it to the dealership anyway even though I could not replicate the problem. They did the sensor adjustment anyway just to make sure it does not return.

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App