Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 03-16-2011, 01:29 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 automatic
What is the definitive list of E39 modules which, when replaced, need to be 'coded'?

What is the definitive list of 'things' in the E39 which need to be 'coded' when replaced?

For the record, let's start with this list from a MID-pixel thread:
- Awesome MID Pixel Repair Experience with VDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
I'm assuming by "registered" you mean "coded"? If you mean coded...off the top of my head:
  • DME/ECU
  • LCM
  • EWS control module
  • AMP (audio...if it came from an e38 or e53 {or e39 that doesn't have exactly the same audio set-up & options} )
  • IHKA (if upgrading from one w/REST button to one w/MAX button...your car may not have the software to run the latest MAX programming)
The reason I open this thread is that the search keywords will, by necessity, be vague ... so nobody would open that VDO thread looking for this information in the future.

I expect that QSilver7's information is correct ... but ... for the value of the discussion (in addition to locating the information properly), I open this thread.
Ads by Google
Old 03-16-2011, 01:38 PM

I wonder if we need to add the following to this list of things that force us to consider visiting the dealer (or buying fancy schmancy software) once we replace them in the E39, just to get the modules to talk to each other?

The instrument cluster?
- If I replaced my cluster with a new one, would I need a dealer visit to get the electronics to talk together nicely?

The diamond key?
- If I replaced the key from a blank on the net, and if I did not cannibalize an existing key's electronics, wouldn't I need a visit to the stealer (or fancy software) to set it up?

The ABS control module?
- We have a long detailed thread already on this which seems to indicate without much proof that you don't always need to visit the stealer when replacing the ABS control module - but most of the time (98%?) you will.

Would others, who know more than I do about this, both expand the list of items which, when replaced, need to be 'recoded' or 'registered' electronically in order to 'talk' the the rest of the electronics?
Old 03-16-2011, 06:16 PM

Hey, guess what?

Within hours of opening this thread, it's already useful!

Someone asked in this thread the following:
- Electrical Gremlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by agarch92 View Post
Can you elaborate on the coding. If I purchase a new LCM and install it will it need "coding"?
I love efficient re-use!

Re-use makes the tremendous energy from everyone worth the effort!
Old 03-16-2011, 06:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
I expect that QSilver7's information is correct ...
QSilver7's info is always correct. He's the only one that always includes factory documentation!!!
Old 04-08-2011, 09:31 AM

For the record, there is some re-coding of used LCM/DME modules info here today:
- E39 (1997 - 2003) > dealer says can't fix it

Quote:
Joe can a used module be RE-coded to another car? ie: LCM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmys 530i View Post
Yes, I did this yesterday to a 2002 325i. The manipulation dot went away and it took the code.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:00 AM

More information about coding a different ABS control module than the one that was originally on the car ...

Last edited by bluebee; 05-11-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:59 PM
BMW CCA Member #: 444067

Mein Auto: 2002 540iA with sport pkg
Bluebee - your link points to the 'pretty' wheel speed sensor diagram.

2002 e39 (540iA) with factory 'sport package' modified with:
'03 fr. and r. bumpers, front air ducts, and spoiler
18" Staggered MPars (style 37)
Dinan exhaust
shorter springs
European center console arm rest
VECTOR radar detector (non-working)

....-------------------.
[ /.....................\ ]
.|(oOO)\(lll)(lll)/(OOo)|
. \o\0=======|=======0/o/
...|__|.............|__|
Old 05-11-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedBits View Post
Bluebee - your link points to the 'pretty' wheel speed sensor diagram.
Drat. You're right. Thanks for letting me know (I guess you're the first to actually click on the link ... makes me wonder why I bother to always try to have links in my posts). Sigh.

Anyway, I removed the link in the prior post (no sense confusing people). I don't remember now, 'where' I got that screenshot from. Double sigh.

It 'could' have been from here:
- DSC part 1.pdf
- DSC part 2.pdf

But since that is older, I don't think so.

Maybe it was from here:
- carsoft.pdf (127.3 KB, 2912 views)
- peake-codes-e39.pdf (410.1 KB, 1305 views)

Ah, digging s'more, I think it was from here!
- bmw_e46_bosch_dsc_iii_5p7_training_manual.pdf
- bmw_e46_traction_and_stability_control_training_ma nual.pdf
Old 05-12-2011, 01:55 PM

Mein Auto: '99 528i
Lightbulb maybe a new tread for software required?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
What is the definitive list of 'things' in the E39 which need to be 'coded' when replaced?

For the record, let's start with this list from a MID-pixel thread:
- Awesome MID Pixel Repair Experience with VDO

The reason I open this thread is that the search keywords will, by necessity, be vague ... so nobody would open that VDO thread looking for this information in the future.

I expect that QSilver7's information is correct ... but ... for the value of the discussion (in addition to locating the information properly), I open this thread.
First, a thank you! I've spend what seems like 3 or 4 days trying to evaluate the various tools and methods that might allow a DIY'r the best option (within a reasonable budget) to diagnose, trouble-shoot, code? set or reset? any (all) control modules. Perhaps I'm dreaming. If the E39 is the subject, then perhaps it would also be appropriate to break out the various model years.

For me that's 1999. If this thread can come up with a list of modules, then maybe it could also recommend the software?

My (rookie-level) understanding see's so much confusion when attempting to sort out the facts. based of all the various factors which inevitably pop-up (BMW's lack of concern for clarity, ease of maintenance, and the average (common car owner's)) desire to properly maintain their vehicles. I would hope we (all inclusive...) could sort out these things with a little more organizing.
A possible starting point might go someting like this:

Briefly: model (e39), year:1999...and with a careful evaluation for the next model year before allowing the following years to be included. Such as 1999 thru 2004. Why? To many variables! The ODB2 compliance laws are not applicable for the DLC connector under the hood. I believe newer models didn't provide the DLC connector.

Type of Tool (and/or) Software for readouts at the ODB2 (Under the Dash) diagnostic port.
Type of cable interface for handheld readout tools.
Type of cable interface for laptop with USB port vs. Serial (Com1) port, Firewire/ Bluetooth? etc.

Repeated for the DLC (under the hood) as follows:

Type of Tool (and/or) Software for readouts at the DCL (under the hood) diagnostic port.
Type of cable interface for laptop with USB port vs. Serial (Com1) port, Firewire/ Bluetooth? etc.
List of modules / options
Perhaps this exists somewhere or somebody has a good link to something that comes close?

ADDED as of 5/20/11
I'm seeing "Carsoft" as the program of choice with the needed Interface cables. I'm still evaluating the products. No money spent yet! Should any body have feedback, please feel free to reply.

ron_of_orange
1999 E39, M52TU, Automatic trans, Salon, Titanium Silver, w/ Sport Package

Last edited by ron_of_orange; 05-20-2011 at 11:16 AM. Reason: errors DLC vs, DCL attachment added?
Old 05-13-2011, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: e39 520iT
The general module needs re-coding to the DME/ECU if you swap it.

Reason being: The immobiliser code from the diamond key is read by the general module (from the ignition) and permits the DME to start the engine.

When the micro relays on my general module furred up and lost reliable control of:
-Rear lid soft close
-Rear door locks/fuel cap lock

I looked into getting a new general module. However a new one plus necessary coding would have been nearly $500 from the dealer.

Instead I bought the relays for about $5 (Tyco masquerading as Siemens) I remember, and kindly asked the guys down in the labs at work to replace all the soldered miniture relays on the board. Not something I would have tried - Super fiddley plus one wrong move and your car's dead and you've still got to pay the dealer for a new board plus coding.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:23 PM

For the record, not only do some modules require 'coding' when replaced, but, from this information from Mark (EAC Tuning) & Bill (540iman), apparently in some cases, proper recoding can only be done with Autologic (and not with GT1 or Progman).

Quote:
Take the car to someone with AUTOLOGIC programming tools... GT1 and Progman are known to have problems programming the module successfully and I have had that same problem myself coding and calibrating the steering angle sensor.

I tried programming with progman for something like 2-3 hours with no luck. This was frustrating and embarrassing since I can generally program anything needed. Bill (540iman) took the car to a shop with autologic and it was done and over with in moments - the trifecta went out and the DSC afterward worked as it should.

I've had guys call me up from the dealership wanting to return these ABS control modules because even the dealer could not code the thing. Send the guy to an Indy with Autologic and they program it without issue. The modules are fully tested by Bosch and it's rare to get a bad one; we have sold hundreds of them - they don't come back.

Proper programming is key.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:10 PM

I'm surprised the TCM doesn't appear on any of these lists.

This thread today, says the following:
- High Alternator Output, AT stuck in 4th _ DEALER SAYS NEED NEW TCM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfisch View Post
The TCM is indeed bad. I got a used one from a salvage yard for testing... and when it is plugged in, the diagnostic software can indeed communicate with it and even program it.

Unfortunately, I am being told that there is no way to clear the VIN that is embedded in it and I need to order a blank new TCM for only $1200 UGH! This is the kind of crap that will prevent me from ever buying another BMW.

Does anyone know a way to clear the VIN and flash an E39 TCM so I can reprogram a used TCM and save $1,200 ???
Old 09-21-2012, 10:45 PM

For the cross linked record, this was posted today:
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggyd357 View Post
I'm needing to replace my transmission control module, but I don't know which numbers I'm supposed to match. I keep hearing that "the numbers" have to match. Which numbers ??? There's like 5 sets of numbers..... Also, if I do get one with "matching numbers" can I just remove the old one and plug in the new one ? Or do I need to bring somewhere to have it programmed?
Old 12-15-2012, 12:33 PM

In this thread, the OP is contemplating replacing components in his DME; if that fails, a replacement DME is the next step. If so, he'll impart good information to this thread as to what needs to be recoded in the replacement DME.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushytails View Post
So, deciding the problem really seemed like a computer problem, pulled the DME...

I'm not equipped for SMT rework, but the driver transistors can probably be replaced pretty easily with through-hole tools, since there's enough of an exposed tab to apply heat to. If the driver chip is toasted too, that'll be fun. I haven't tried crossreferencing the bosch numbers yet either.

Calling local junkyards didn't find a new computer, but I haven't looked online yet. Does a replacement require programming, keying, or other dealer/shop work?

I'll be checking the coils next, to see if the root cause was a shorted coil. Hopefully not an intermittent short

--Bushytails
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dme.jpg
Views:	817
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	353322  
Old 12-15-2012, 03:17 PM

from my op post # 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_of_orange View Post
First, a thank you! I've spend what seems like 3 or 4 days trying to evaluate the various tools and methods that might allow a DIY'r the best option (within a reasonable budget) to diagnose, trouble-shoot, code? set or reset? any (all) control modules. Perhaps I'm dreaming. If the E39 is the subject, then perhaps it would also be appropriate to break out the various model years.

For me that's 1999. If this thread can come up with a list of modules, then maybe it could also recommend the software?

My (rookie-level) understanding see's so much confusion when attempting to sort out the facts. based of all the various factors which inevitably pop-up (BMW's lack of concern for clarity, ease of maintenance, and the average (common car owner's)) desire to properly maintain their vehicles. I would hope we (all inclusive...) could sort out these things with a little more organizing.
A possible starting point might go someting like this:

Briefly: model (e39), year:1999...and with a careful evaluation for the next model year before allowing the following years to be included. Such as 1999 thru 2004. Why? To many variables! The ODB2 compliance laws are not applicable for the DLC connector under the hood. I believe newer models didn't provide the DLC connector.

Type of Tool (and/or) Software for readouts at the ODB2 (Under the Dash) diagnostic port.

Repeated for the DLC (under the hood) as follows:

Type of Tool (and/or) Software for readouts at the DCL (under the hood) diagnostic port.
List of modules / options
Perhaps this exists somewhere or somebody has a good link to something that comes close?

Editted Dec. 15, 2012 old Carsoft is no longer my program of choice.
old>>> ADDED as of 5/20/11 I'm seeing "Carsoft" as the program of choice with the needed Interface cables. I'm still evaluating the products. No money spent yet! Should any body have feedback, please feel free to reply.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++End Quote ++++++++++++++++++++++++
New Added INFO:I spent some money...I bought a Vag-Com adapter along with a handful of programs from eBay. My Cable per eBay seller Descriptions is:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Diagnost...item1c2e3f8dd2

Software Compatibility
Cable and software works will all versions of Windows including Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 (both 32bit and 64bit versions)
Hardware

Name:	ebay item_odb2 cable set.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	353337
This Cable will connect to all modules in your BMW and has been fully tested with following programs (supplied with cables & adapter)
Sofware:
INPA (older version 4.4.7.0)
Ediabas (v.6.4.3 full)
DIS (v57)
SSS Program (v32)
NCS Expert
Navcoder
+ many other programs

A newer version of INPA is Version 5.02 (updated) and works fine

The INPA program found a ABS speed sensor error and pointed me to the left rear wheel.
+++++++++++++++++++++ end of edit ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
ron_of_orange
1999 E39, M52TU, Automatic trans, Salon, Titanium Silver, w/ Sport Package

Last edited by ron_of_orange; 12-15-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
The link you posted down't work. Is this it?
OSRAM CBI

BMWCCA Member #337964
Old 12-15-2012, 08:10 PM

That was perhaps an outdated link...sorry. I found another from the the same seller.
Try this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Diagnost...item1c2e3f8dd2

The sellers email address bmwcable@yahoo.com (if all else fails). I'd also ask for the INPA 5.02 version...although it can be found elsewhere.

ron_of_orange 8:09pm pdt

1999 E39 528i
Old 12-15-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_of_orange View Post
I found another from the the same seller.
Since Ebay links are so ephemeral, I generally try to screenshot the result so that the thread is useful far into the future, long after we're gone.

Here's that screenshot:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ebay.jpg
Views:	773
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	353391  
Old 12-16-2012, 03:16 AM
Registered Lunatic

Mein Auto: E39 535i
Might be easier here:
http://bmwcables.co.uk/index.html
Old 11-12-2013, 05:51 AM

A related question about which module to recode when swapping engines came up here today:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Help on information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euromanonly View Post
So am doing a manual swap on my 99 bmw 528it. But i have the material thing but not the electrical information!
So do i have to reflash my ecu and recode my ews why? Why is the reason why these things have to be done
Old 12-25-2013, 01:07 AM

For the record, there are good pictures of the DME, over here:
- How to better understand your DME Digital Motor Electronics module (1)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DME7.2d.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	413990   Click image for larger version

Name:	DME7.2c.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	413991  
Old 02-28-2014, 06:28 AM

For the crosslinked record, this thread has information about recoding the older E39 glovebox ABS control modules:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Frustrating rear ABS problem [fixed, new module]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helgason View Post
Here is a video tutorial on the recoding on the Bosch 5.7, do you know if this applies to 5.0 as well?:
See also:
- What is the definitive list of E39 computer modules which, when replaced (new or used), need to be recoded (1) & what happens if you don't code the VIN into a new ABS module (1)