Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M Roadster
Z4 M Need Brake Pad Advice

I'm so tired of the dust that comes with the OE brakes on my 08 M Roadster! On my previous Zs I just replaced the pads with the Axxis Deluxe pads. I think they are non metal organics and I did notice more fading. I'm a little leery of putting these on the M because of there lack of bite compared to OEs - but I'm not totally against it. How are the Akebono ceramics with dust?
Anyone experience them against the Axxis Deluxe concerning dust? They advertise as low, but are they extremely low dust compared to OE? Basically this is a highway only car and is driven fairly normally, so I'm not looking for extreme performance. Just performance similar to OE with much less dust. Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2011, 08:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4, 2001 Z3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
I'm so tired of the dust that comes with the OE brakes on my 08 M Roadster! On my previous Zs I just replaced the pads with the Axxis Deluxe pads. I think they are non metal organics and I did notice more fading. I'm a little leery of putting these on the M because of there lack of bite compared to OEs - but I'm not totally against it. How are the Akebono ceramics with dust?
Anyone experience them against the Axxis Deluxe concerning dust? They advertise as low, but are they extremely low dust compared to OE? Basically this is a highway only car and is driven fairly normally, so I'm not looking for extreme performance. Just performance similar to OE with much less dust. Thanks!

Wanting much the same, street/road car/no track, but also tired of the dust. Any pads that can help reduce or eliminate the dust, I would be interested as well.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 Z4
I'm with you on the dust so I'm watching for an answer to be posted. It seems all I do is clean the wheels. Do dust shields work ?
Old 03-16-2011, 10:02 PM

Mein Auto: '00 M Roadster
Do they still do Axxis ultimate's ? Perfect for mild street and autocross. Did find they started to fade if you did a long twisty drive but a good compromise to OEM dusty pads

TC Kline S/A Coilovers | Sharked | Turner Slotted Rotors | Axxis Ultimate Pads | SS Front Strut | IE Subframe Bushings | IE Rear Toe/Camber Kit
Whalen Shift Machine | Stygar Clutch Pedal | CDV Delete | LeatherZ Armrest | Whalen seat bushings | Z3Solutions Windblocker | Shift Pin fix
Old 03-16-2011, 11:20 PM

Mein Auto: E86 Z4 M Coupe 7LM08376
Thumbs up PF Z-rated

I prefer the Performance Friction Z-rated pad for daily driver/street use. Good cold bite and relatively little dust.
I've also used the Axxis ULT (FKA Ultimate) and they are low dusting but are very grabby when cold; difficult to modulate.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:19 AM

I did a little more research and found out Axxis Deluxe aren't as absurd as I thought on a street only M. Apparently a lot of people run them and they work out OK, you just loose some bite. I can attest to that, as I had them on my old 2.5i. I also remember them making hardly any dust at all and lasting a while. They are dirt cheap. Anyone know how the dust level on these compares to Akebono ceramics?
Old 03-17-2011, 08:55 AM

Mein Auto: '06 M Roadster Imola/Blk
I put Hawk Performance Ceramics on mine last August. No dust to speak of anymore. They are a bit noisier as I brake(not squealing, but I can hear them against the drilled rotor where I could not hear the OEM pads). The part numbers are:

HB464Z.764(front)
HB518Z.642(rear)

I paid $80 for each set so not bad at all IMO. I had UUC do the install for me.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 E85 Z4
I was reading up on the difference between Ceramic and Semi Metallic pads. It turns out the ceramics are good for Brake Dust in two ways. One, there is less of it. Two, the Dust is generally a light color, so it tends to blend in more and be less apparent on rims. This is where I found a summary of the difference between Ceramic and Semi Metallic http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_be...mic_brake_pads
Old 03-17-2011, 11:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4 3.0Si Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmillet View Post
I prefer the Performance Friction Z-rated pad for daily driver/street use. Good cold bite and relatively little dust.
Jim, How's the pedel feel on the Friction Z pads? I'm trying to find something with a firmer feel to them then the oe pads. TIA
Old 03-17-2011, 06:37 PM

Mein Auto: E86 Z4 M Coupe 7LM08376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incompatible View Post
Jim, How's the pedel feel on the Friction Z pads? I'm trying to find something with a firmer feel to them then the oe pads. TIA
After trying several aftermarket brake pads I've gone with PF Z-rated pads on my former E36 Z3MC as well as my current Z4MC. They have a firm feel without any severe initial bite. They modulate extremely well. They dust far less than the OE Textar/Jurid/Ate but do dust more than the Axxis ULT.
I'm sold on Performance Friction pads and use the PF-01 as my track pad.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:02 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
I use Mintex red box or Axxix Ultimates.

The Ultimates dust more, but work very well.

The Mintex dust very little and also work well.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 03-20-2011, 11:37 AM

I decided to go with the Axxis Deluxe. I had them before and can attest they make the least dust of any pads I tried. They do fade and lack bite a little, but I drive on the street only. I did have the Mintex from Bav Auto before and thought they mas too much dust for what they where. I know from experience that dust will ruin Yr wheels over time
Old 03-21-2011, 11:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4 3.0Si Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmillet View Post
After trying several aftermarket brake pads I've gone with PF Z-rated pads on my former E36 Z3MC as well as my current Z4MC. They have a firm feel without any severe initial bite. They modulate extremely well. They dust far less than the OE Textar/Jurid/Ate but do dust more than the Axxis ULT.
I'm sold on Performance Friction pads and use the PF-01 as my track pad.
Thanks
Old 08-09-2012, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: Zed 4 M Roadster
Do you really need to change the rotor when you change the brake pads?
Old 08-09-2012, 01:04 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 3.0
I got tired of having to clean my front rims every other day. So I installed Ceramic pads all the way around. No more brake dust. I also installed some awesome cross drilled rotors while I was in there. If your rotors have a lot of mileage on them I would replace them. Your brakes are no place to skimp. Later.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:34 PM

Mein Auto: 03 Z4 3.0i
I may try these axxis ultimates you speak of. What site do you recommend ordering from?
Old 08-10-2012, 12:33 PM

Mein Auto: 06 M Coupe, 01 X5 4.4i
It's been a while but I think I got them here: http://www*****brakes.com/p-655-axxi...riantID=166721
CDV delete, clutch stop, BMW pedals, Strongstrut bar, SS brake lines, radiator hole cover, brake duct stop removal, Gunmetal M3 reps, roundel under hood, Intravee II ipod adapter, Homelink, air bag sticker delete, first aid storage under seats, Bumper plugs keyhole cover, painted reflectors, Headlight washer disable, Mstache front lip, Autosolutions SSK, Leather Z arm rest, Stromung exhaust, RPI scoop, RTAB limiters, powerflex bushings front, TC Kline DA coilovers…
Old 08-10-2012, 01:17 PM

Mein Auto: '07 Z4M Roadster
The Axxis Ultimates are NOT a low dust pad. I thought they were (didn't do enough research) and I chose them to replace my OEM pads after I had my M for 3 months. To be honest, they dusted about equally to my OEM pads. I swapped them out for Axxis Deluxe pads and all is good. The Deluxe's are definitely a street only pad, but that's what I do, and they are fine for spirited country road driving. They were a little hard to find, and from the second bit of research I did I would have gone withe the Hawk Ceramics as a second choice.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2002tii, 540iA, Z4M Rdstr
The old EBC Green Stuff pads worked really well for me on my other BMWs, but I've not changed the pads on my Z4M from OEM so I don't know if they're availablee for this car. Worth checking out though, those guys make good stuff.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:34 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
BTW, I understand Axxis is no more. So if you like their pads, buy some.

We have Axxis Metal Masters on our M Roadster. Nice pads, but a tiny bit of squeal at times.

I have run Axxis Deluxe on a number of cars over the years (back to when Axxis was Repco, before they were PBR) , and are still my favorite street pad. OK, for autocross, but not for track.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 06-18-2013, 03:41 AM

Mein Auto: 01 Z3M, 99 M3 Cab
I do not track the Z4 M- still have the E36 M3 for that once in awhile. Unfortunately do have a good bit of traffic sometimes & have always been happy with the feather action pedal response of OEM at lower speeds plus the nice feel when I need to get down from 80 to 60 because someone jumps in my lane out on the highway. So I am thinking I would not be satisfied with the Akebonos Ceramics & am leaning to the suggestion of the Performance Friction Z Rated. Hopefully at least some dusting reduction with those also. Any more current thoughts on this than previously shared? Thanks.

Also anyone seen any good pricing on rotors? Familiar with Turner, GetBMWParts.com etc but those aren't really much different that the local dealer with the CCA discount with shipping vs. local tax taken into account.

Last edited by vladsgym; 06-18-2013 at 03:43 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:57 AM
Underway on Nuclear Power

Mein Auto: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladsgym View Post
Also anyone seen any good pricing on rotors? Familiar with Turner, GetBMWParts.com etc but those aren't really much different that the local dealer with the CCA discount with shipping vs. local tax taken into account.
I buy my rotors at http://www.rmeuropean.com

I am buying the Zimmerman brand, not the ATE (OEM). I think the Zimmerman are better rotors, and they are cheaper.
Furthermore, does legality establish morality?
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams
Old 06-19-2013, 12:53 AM

Mein Auto: 01 Z3M, 99 M3 Cab
Thanks for the lead on RMEuro. That takes care of the rotors. Likely going with the Performance Friction Z pads. Akebono seems to be not for me.