Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 03-17-2011, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: X5
X5 OBD Codes P0420 and P0430 0420 0430 SOLUTION INSIDE!

Ok well I can assure you am the resident expert of BMW OBD codes and getting them fixed in your BMW. I have spent over three months of my life troubleshooting my 2001 BMW X5

1. If you have a p0172 or p0173 You have an air leak that is causing a lean code where too much air is getting in through the intake. 2 possible solutions. the Y tube has cracks in it and this forum there are many people who have posted photos. 20 dollar replacement part. Or you have an issue with DISA valve set up. Little black box connected to the drivers side of the engine and near the Y tube. Also dont let e mechanic get your parts for you unless he is doing it at smart on line places like "drive wire" Why allow a mechanic to make margin on parts on you

2. if you have the Heater oxygen code or any oxygen code, then you have O2 sensors that are bad. DO NOT REPLACE JUST ONE......all you are doing is wasting time. You need a close loop to occur with the computer system, and for $52 bucks a senor on line at drive wire, just order all 4 and get the two pre and post cat sensors replaced

3. While you are at all of this, may as well order on line a new thermostat $60 and a coolant sensor under the radiator $20 This will eliminate any potential that these are setting any codes off. So far you are not down too much in $ on parts

4. AFTER ALL OF THIS.....you drive 20 miles down the rode and you get a P0420 or P0430 code........yes you are not happy but now because of this thread........you will do it much faster than I and YES PEOPLE there is a fix for this as well!!

IMPORTANT FACT - Even if you only are showing 1 of these codes, you need to order two of these Mini Cat adaptor's that plug into the end of the POST CAT O2 sensor and then connect back into the BUNG pipe in the POST CAT area.

a 2001 X5 will now allow the ANGLE CEL FIX device to fit on the bung......not enough room.....so when you see the advertisement for the ANGLE cel part.......no need to by that for this car, probably a need for other BMW's. You only need two of the mini cats to insert on both post cat O2 sensors! Oh and by the way done fool yourself......If you have replaced all the previous parts I mentioned and you are getting these codes....

YOUR CATALYTOR CONVERTER IS TOAST! MAYBE BOTH OR ONE, BUT IT DOESNT MATTER

But I am here to say that I am the HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY owner of a BRAND NEW 2011 Inspection Sticker and these guys deserve a ROUND OF APPLAUSE!!

Hope this helps. NEWPORT

http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/mini-cat-cel-fix.html
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2011, 07:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWPORT View Post
Ok well I can assure you am the resident expert of BMW OBD codes and getting them fixed in your BMW. I have spent over three months of my life troubleshooting my 2001 BMW X5

1. If you have a p0172 or p0173 You have an air leak that is causing a lean code where too much air is getting in through the intake. 2 possible solutions. the Y tube has cracks in it and this forum there are many people who have posted photos. 20 dollar replacement part. Or you have an issue with DISA valve set up. Little black box connected to the drivers side of the engine and near the Y tube. Also dont let e mechanic get your parts for you unless he is doing it at smart on line places like "drive wire" Why allow a mechanic to make margin on parts on you
As an FYI these codes can also result from a bad MAF.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:14 AM

You are absolutely CORRECT and I apologize I missed this, but I know why I missed it.....it was the first thing I replaced and I did it myself. This part will run you anywhere 120 to 180 most expensive of the replacements, but can be done by even the most layman person with mechanic background. I replaced this first myself before any of the previously mentioned work.

I will say though that p0430 and p0420.....usually mean ONE THING!!!!!
Old 05-31-2011, 07:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 X5
P0420?

When you say that this code only means one thing...what do you mean? Get rid of Converter? Thanks
Old 05-31-2011, 09:08 PM

Yes your CAT IS TOAST!, but I have over 5 thousand miles since the mini cat and no code....these GUYS ARE GENIUS....so get the mini cat!!!