Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-18-2011, 06:18 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
ARS Groaning - any difference in drive after fix?

I just realized that a groaning / grinding sound that I've been hearing is most likely the ARS issue that many here have had. THe reason that I never picked up on it is that, unlike most reports, it does not happen at low speeds or with the wheels cranked over. It happens mostly in a straight line. There is a spot about 100 yards from my house that I can replicate the noise about 90% of the time. It's not very loud, and it kind of sounds like a bad wheel bearing. Happens when I go over a certain dip. I've heard it in other places as well.

I have to take my car in for the continued issue of wandering steering, and wonder if I am just better off not mentioning it until there is a really good fix? I worry about the software fix causing the car to drive weirder...more soft or floaty.

Am I worried about nothing and should I just bring it in? I've driven the car a little over 2,000 miles at this point and it's been making that noise since day one. Since it really hasn't driven me that nuts, should I just leave it alone?

Thanks!

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2011, 08:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Active Roll Stabilization (ARS)?
I'd bring it in. This is a new and expensive car and under warranty. It shouldn't make any strange noises or wander on the highway. There's gonna be a time, when the car is out of warranty and taking it to the dealer for anything isn't going to be an option. Right now it should be flawless.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:04 AM

Well, yes, I should have it fixed. The question is...wait until people are reporting good results or do it now and risk something being screwed up?

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 03-19-2011, 08:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Well, yes, I should have it fixed. The question is...wait until people are reporting good results or do it now and risk something being screwed up?
Personally I'd have it done now. I know you probably don't wanna be the guinea pig, but it may be something other than what you think it is, so I'd have it looked at.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:18 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
Personally I'd have it done now. I know you probably don't wanna be the guinea pig, but it may be something other than what you think it is, so I'd have it looked at.
Ask them to diagnose and let you know what it is before repairing. Then you could decide to wait or not.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 03-19-2011, 02:20 PM

If they can replicate...

Going to take it in next week, hopefully.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:00 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 520D F10 M-SPORT
Quote:
I just realized that a groaning / grinding sound that I've been hearing is most likely the ARS issue that many here have had. THe reason that I never picked up on it is that, unlike most reports, it does not happen at low speeds or with the wheels cranked over. It happens mostly in a straight line. There is a spot about 100 yards from my house that I can replicate the noise about 90% of the time. It's not very loud, and it kind of sounds like a bad wheel bearing. Happens when I go over a certain dip. I've heard it in other places as well.

I have to take my car in for the continued issue of wandering steering, and wonder if I am just better off not mentioning it until there is a really good fix? I worry about the software fix causing the car to drive weirder...more soft or floaty.

Am I worried about nothing and should I just bring it in? I've driven the car a little over 2,000 miles at this point and it's been making that noise since day one. Since it really hasn't driven me that nuts, should I just leave it alone?

Thanks!

Hello Everyone!!

I'd like to find out if you had any feedback regading the above issue.
I bought a 520d F10 2012 model with 7000Km and still on motorplan but it made some binding/grinding/humming noise few minutes after driving it out of BMW dealer. The noise is more audible at speeds above 120km/h even on straight roads. It is like a worn-out bearing/tyre with very bad thread pattern and causing mild vibrations on the steering wheel as well. The noise is very audible at down slopes and at lower speeds below 100km/h when curving right mostly. There is no noise when curving left.

Thanks
Old 08-13-2013, 05:16 PM

ARS Groaning - any difference in drive after fix?

That is textbook wheel bearing failure. Would not be the first. Since there is no noise when turning left, it is on the left side.

Completely different symptoms than the ARS groaning.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 08-13-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:26 PM

Thanks Needsdecaf

Is it really possible that the bearings could give issues at such low milleage or is it a factory fault?

What self checks can I do to isolate ARS issue from bearing issue? I don't want to send the car back to the dealer and they mess it up. Usually they always point to wrong things unless if you hint them.

Thanks
Old 08-13-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
That is textbook wheel bearing failure. Would not be the first. Since there is no noise when turning left, it is on the left side.

Completely different symptoms than the ARS groaning.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Rephrasing my question- What would be the ideal ARS groaning symptoms?