Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335ix Sedan
Help with Coolant

Anyone who reads my blog knows that I've had a "low coolant" issue since delivery a week ago. A recent trip to the dealership showed the coolant lever to be full (the engine was warm). This morning I check on a cold engine and the level is below the "Minimum" mark.

I'd prefer to just take care of this myself without having to go back to the dealership. Can I just use some Zerex antifreeze that I've had in the garage for several years. It's not contaminated in any way. In fact, I don't think it's even been opened. Or should I just get some distilled water at Walmart and add a little of that?

Here's the background if you're interested. BLOG.

2011 335i xDrive
Space Gray | Black Dakota Leather
Sports Package | Premium Package
Cold Weather Package | NAV
Advertisement
Old 05-22-2011, 11:52 AM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
i would NOT mix coolant. some are not compatible.

if you need to top off you can add a little distilled water ( a cup or two will not throw off the freeze point enough to be a huge worry). i would only top it off with bmw coolant
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 05-22-2011, 01:20 PM

Mein Auto: Looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadway View Post
Anyone who reads my blog knows that I've had a "low coolant" issue since delivery a week ago. A recent trip to the dealership showed the coolant lever to be full (the engine was warm). This morning I check on a cold engine and the level is below the "Minimum" mark.

I'd prefer to just take care of this myself without having to go back to the dealership. Can I just use some Zerex antifreeze that I've had in the garage for several years. It's not contaminated in any way. In fact, I don't think it's even been opened. Or should I just get some distilled water at Walmart and add a little of that?

You should contact your dealer as there should be NO COSTS to own, in those first 4 year/50K.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:38 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadway View Post

What are you thinking?

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BPMSport 91 oct tune/BPMSport feature coding/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/BMW Alcantara wheel/BMWCCA #453468/Rear Fog Switch
Old 05-22-2011, 03:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 335xi (E90)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froglet View Post
You should contact your dealer as there should be NO COSTS to own, in those first 4 year/50K.
+1, have the dealer make this right for you.

Clearly, they have checked the level before delivery & maybe since you brought it in for them to look at. Something else is causing this. If you start draining fluid & adding fluid there's no reason to believe that will solve the problem & it may make matters worse.
At port: March 19, 2008
Shipped on Graceful Leader: March 21, 2008
Arrived Port Hueneme: April 11, 2008
At dealer's: April 19, 2008
Delivered: April 21, 2008
Old 05-22-2011, 04:50 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
i would NOT mix coolant. some are not compatible.

if you need to top off you can add a little distilled water ( a cup or two will not throw off the freeze point enough to be a huge worry). i would only top it off with bmw coolant
BMW coolant is G48. The Zerex G-05 meets that spec. Don't use anything with high-phosphate or high-silicon content.