Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 03-15-2011, 03:07 PM

Mein Auto: 51 Deluxe
Still trying to sell my Jeep :(

Man selling cars right now is rough stuff. Still havent sold my Jeep so that I can get one of these BEAUTIES.

Still looking though, and found this killer deal.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...266218376.html

The bad is the engine is making a noise? Seller sounded hispanic and was tough to talk with. Id have to pay to have a dealership do an inspection, fix the issue, fly down and drive it back. Hum..............
Advertisement
Old 03-15-2011, 07:43 PM

Mein Auto: 740IL
be careful my buddys 2000 sport pkg had the timing chain guides break causing the engine noise. costly fix!!!
Old 03-15-2011, 08:21 PM

Chains

Yeah I was thinking it was something like that. If I did get the car I was planning on having it fixed before Id drive it home. Any idea of what something like that would cost to have done? Im guessing its the timing chain tensioner or something like that?
Old 03-15-2011, 09:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 740i
yeah so these engines dont just "make noise" unless something is messed up. ususally something that will end up costing $2000+ to fix unless you know someone. sounds like a bad deal.

just saying because most shops tend to rip you off with labor on these cars.

*Der E38*
manufactured: 7/01
color: anthrecite metallic
wheels: style 89 E66, 19X9F 19X10R
ext. lighting: 8000k D2S & LED plate light
*want to get sport rear diff*

Last edited by CodyItaliano; 03-15-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:37 PM

Very True

Good call Cody, a harsh slap from reality, but I guess I just want it so bad Ill tell my self anything.

My only thought was maybe the timing chain tensioners were completely worn out and it just needed those replaced? Thoughts on that?

Anyone know if a good shop in North Hollywood?
Old 03-15-2011, 09:50 PM

i was told that the engine needs to be calibrated with a BMW scanner after doing anything with the timing chains. not totally sure though. i would like to get mine replaced and other components that go with it before i gets up high in mileage.

you might do some research on some of the shops out there and get some prices. here where i live, theres quite a few places that work on BMWs so i wouldnt need to rely on the dealership. just make sure before going with any shop that you feel comfortable with them and know their reputability rating.

i really dont know what the should charge at the moment but i could find out. they charge by how many hours the job is supposed to take, so if its like a 10 hour job and its $85 per hour, you can do the math there.

*Der E38*
Old 03-16-2011, 05:43 AM

THanks~!

Yeah if you end up getting a quote on that job let me know, Id be interested in what you find out.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:50 AM

Mein Auto: 4x E38 + 3x F01/F02
Ha small world, I bought my E38 from this same seller a few months ago. Mine was a 2001 blk on blk sport, PDC, cold weather, wide nav, one owner for $3000. Had a blown engine and trans, but I bought it as a project car. The seller seems to have allot of e38's. He owns some sort of dealership and from what I gather the cars he sells on CL are the ones he doesnít want to go tough his dealership for whatever reason (mechanical issues, ect). Seller is from Iran, heís a very interesting fellow (thats him in the 1st picture, white shirt). I definitely would thoroughly inspect the car; I don't trust heís ultra-ghetto mechanics at all. They've probably already monkeyed with something. Also he is located in a really...really...um....unwelcoming part of Van Nuys. Definitely not an area I would want to hang around for any longer than necessary. All in all looks like a nice car, but if it has a timing chain issue itís not worth it if you have to pay someone elts to do it, especially it being so far away from your home.
Whatever happens good luck! I love my e38!
Old 03-16-2011, 10:18 AM

Small world

Wow, that is a small world! He told me it runs great, but the engine is making a noise. I dont rust him as far as I can throw him Just curious on peoples thoughts. Too bad because this is EXACTLY what Im looking for. If I were closer it would be at least looking at, but Im just too far away, and doesnt seem worth the hassle to have him take it somewhere to let me know what it needs done. Unless you happened to live close by and had some down time
Old 03-16-2011, 10:02 PM

have a look on autotrade.com, i looked for a month before i found the right car. i wasnt really looking for an E38, but has honestly been a great choice compared to my other cars. they let me take it home before i decided to buy it also, which is always a good sign from a dealership.

*Der E38*
Old 03-17-2011, 10:04 AM

AutoTrader

Oh yeah, Im all over autotrader like white on rice. I guess theres just no real pulling of the trigger until Im able to sell my Jeep. Im still thinking about a 2000 740i sport black on black that I found for $2500. Blown head gasket. So I found a new engine for $2500 and a reliable shop that could put it in for $1000. I think I could even get the car for $2000. Which would mean a 2000 7401 sport with 120K for around $5500. Pretyy sweet deal. However I just really think the IL versions are sooweet!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)
Today's Posts Search