Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 08-09-2015, 11:11 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Stereo upgrade

Sorry if this has been covered time after time i cant really find the exact info that im after so i ask away

i have x3 2004 3litre with original stereo with multi CD changer and old nokia module in the arm rest

I would like to upgrade it so i can use my iphone 6 for bluetoothing music and possible phone calls , as there is a answer call button on the steering wheel

any ideas ?

there a thread on a forum reagrding ipad built in that looked great !

i have seen on ebay that the iphone module for the arm rest but i think that just be for calls and expensive for what its purpose is

also seen this on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-GPS-Na...item41750b11ba

has anyone got one or can recommend any options please

thanks in advance
jay
Advertisement
Old 08-09-2015, 03:10 PM
DROZ3

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 / 2006 X3
Oh can I make comments on that GPS unit ... bought one a few months ago, an absolute waste of money ... the GPS just does not work, tried to debug it through emails with a very nice lady in their customer service but they had no clue on what was happening till the last email they sent m which said the software does not work with the GPS hardware. Actually the GPS hardware is faulty. I tried installing another navigation software, does not work.
The unit actually does not interact with the car as advertised, you have to use the built in speakers as there is not connection to connect tot he car, just a bunch of incompatible wires.

The only practical feature is the front dash cam.

I actually removed the unit, installed a small "mini 0805" dash cam and I am planning on removing all the hardware from inside the unit and installing a size compatible Garmin into it.

My advise : don't waste your money.

Do a bit of research on the net for "gps AUTODETECTING GPS RECEIVER", you'll see many people have the same issue. I have tried all the solutions put on various forums.

As I said, big waste of money, just buy a nice holder and use the gps in your phone or buy a Garmin.

Z3 2001 3.0L 5-speeds,Topaz Blue/Sport+Premium package/Stong-Strut/Bilstein shocks/Rogue Engineering RSM/Ireland Engineering rear sub-frame bushing/CDV delete/Conforti CAI/Jim Conforti Shark/DRL module/European Wiper Module/Pioneer AVIC-N4 GPS-Receiver+XM Radio+iPod/iPhone interface+Bluetooth+12CD Charger/ASA-AR1 18" wheels+Michelin PSS/Bi-Xenon upgrade.
Latest mod : 3.73 diff. ... WOW
X3 2006 3.0L Automatic, Silver Gray, all original ... so far ...
Old 08-10-2015, 12:07 PM

Cheers for the heads up on that the cheapest route I seen is aux in cable but if I press mode on my car I don't think I have that aux option just cd changer cd radio phone ! Could I trick the cd changer and use that as aux ?
Old 08-11-2015, 11:25 AM

Stereo upgrade

So I pulled the cd changer pin plug out the back of the stereo and was going to put my old connects2 kit which would allow me to use iPhone with the cd changer settings and steering wheel volume and control !

but the 12 pin on the connects2 kit is fatter than the cd changer plug
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1439326008.482549.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	524519

Is there a simple adaptor to act as a middle connecter of the two plugs ?

Cheers
Jay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1439317491.363771.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	524500   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1439317505.520042.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	524501  

Last edited by jayjay31; 08-11-2015 at 01:49 PM.