Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 05-16-2015, 02:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3
2005 BMW X3 with 2012 Nexus 7 Installed

Hi Guys,

This is my first post, I've been a long time lurker and decided that I need to contribute!

I've seen a couple of posts from other members showing their Nexus 7 conversions on other BMW models so I decided to pull the trigger and do it on my X3 as the GPS was not working too well and I was sick of the radio. I am really happy with the outcome and recommend doing it. The unit automatically links to my cell phone's hotspot (HTC M8 Tmobile) so I can run Google maps with live traffic, Gmail, Spotify, etc. I also have hooked up a dashcam and reverse cam (tested but not completely installed yet). I bought a business CD player ($85 Ebay) to replace my navigation head-unit and the nexus 7 fits very nicely with a silicone case on the dash. I used a joycon EXD controller to tap in to the IBUS so that I can use the steering wheel controls to control the tablet. There is also a bluetooth OBD scanner that communicates with the tablet thru an app.

I am glad I chose this option over a Dynavin or some other oem looking replacement. The android platform is very versatile. My only regret is that I used a 2012 nexus 7 instead of a 2013. The 2013 would have let me have a BMW logo video when the car powers down (to look more stock). I think it would also let me automatically activate the reverse cam through the Joycon controller (the 2012 might but I am still working on it). In a year or so I might replace the 2012 with a 2013, they are ~120 used on amazon in good shape.

*** The navigation computer and bluetooth module (located in left rear quarter-panel) must be disconnected or the battery will drain as they wont turn off with out the navigation headunit***

Picture Link:
2005 BMW X3 with Nexus 7 Installed

I was planning on taking a bunch of pics during the install but broke my old phone right before the install

Special thanks to Brake_L8 and IdTamer for their DIY posts:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=745170
http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1058216_a__a2_
Advertisement
Old 05-20-2015, 10:15 PM

I'm very interested in doing the same thing to my '05 X3. I have some questions and hope maybe you can help me out.

- Your setup allows for tons of functionality. Are you handling bluetooth connection to your phone in anyway? If so how?
- What case did you use for the tablet? How is it secured?
- I have a glove box, did you modify yours or did you have something different to begin with?

Thx, I appreciate any advise you have.

LP
Old 05-21-2015, 06:50 AM

I am not using Bluetooth right now but I will be looking into it. I believe there are apps (ex https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....tabtalk&hl=en) that can accomplish what you are looking for.

The case is from amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). It is not held in by anything but gravity, the USB plug, and a small lip in the plastic (see pic 4 in the album). Ive driven the car at least 1000 miles with the set up and the tablet has not shifted. I can take it off in two seconds--I actually was at the airport recently and decided to take it with me on the plane for entertainment.

I took everything in my glove-box (manuals, registration, receipts) and relocated it to my center-console. There was a 6 disc CD changer that I removed so everything fit nicely in there. The glove box is stock--it is just filled with the electronics (powered USB hub and everything that plugs into it). The guy i bought the car off of had an iPod adapter so the hole I used to feed the wires into the glove-box may have been drilled.

I will try to post pics of the center console, glove-box, and wiring diagram tongiht.

Hope this helps!
Old 05-21-2015, 09:21 AM
Freshly Addicted

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Having used the Dynavin in a friends X3.. do not buy it. It's really a piece of junk and it's useability is just horrible. It's navigation is almost useless, a 5 year old Garmin Nuvi works better.

I really wish I could find the stock NAV screen that is broken to do the tablet install you did. Sadly everyone thinks they are made out of solid gold, and I am not interested in paying $500 for a chunk of plastic.

I have enough electronics experience I could gut the screen and make it flip up and down again... Plus I know where to get a 7" touchscreen and android board that has no body and is designed for integration like this. (hint:Olimex)

Last edited by timgray; 05-21-2015 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:19 AM

Timgray;
I was looking at the Dynavin and some other systems like it, but I was getting a feeling that these systems were 'cheap' knockoffs. I thought about doing the Garmin solution, but I'm also looking for something that I could use with my phone via bluetooth. I hate talking on my phone while driving. Didn't realize how bad I'd miss it until I got in a car that didn't have it.

The only issue I'm coming across right now is exactly what you mentioned, which is integrating a 7" tablet into a flip up screen on the dash. The dashboard cubby I have is the fancy box version. So I guess I'd have to purchase the portable nav dashboard cubby so I can fit the tablet. Mbflavor what dashboard cubby do you have? I guess it won't be so bad. When I leave the car for extended period of time I could just unplug the tablet and stash it under the seat or something. It's just the inconvenience. It would suck to have your window busted just so some punk kid steal your $100 tablet!

I do like your idea though. Hope you find the parts and put together a detailed DIY. That would be golden, I'd love to see what you come up with!
Old 05-21-2015, 10:27 AM

ubun2Junky,

I had the factory GPS on the dash but it was useless--I just removed the flip up screen portion and put two black plastic plugs in the holes.

Originally I was going to use the plastic housing on the OEM GPS screen and do something similar to timgray but the previous owner damaged the housing trying to repair the gears on the flip up flip down motor so it wasn't worth it. The black silicone case makes the nexus 7 look fairly stock so I decided it was best route for me.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:31 AM

Almost forgot...

I will mess around with the bluetooth app tonight (nexus 7 Bluetooth not business radio OEM Bluetooth). I think the only issue maybe that I don't have a USB mic (yet) and the nexus 7 might not pic up my voice.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:01 PM

I'm going to see if I can get my hands on the portable nav dashboard cubby, see if my local rep has one available. Your setup looks very nice with the silicone case so people may not think it's something they can just snag and run. I was wondering if you can post a pic of what the tablet looks like from the front of the vehicle. Just wanted to see how far off the dash the tablet sticks out. Thx!
Old 05-21-2015, 03:29 PM

This is a really bad picture because of the glare. I will try again when the sun goes down.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0138.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	510347
Old 05-22-2015, 11:48 AM

I've gone through the links that you provided. Everything looks pretty straightforward. There is only one thing that I'm not clear on how is the audio is connected to the head unit? I understand that the tablet is connected to the USB DAC device and then I'm assuming the RCA connectors are supposed to connect to the head unit somehow? From my searching it looks like I'll also need to get a AUX adapter to hook to the back of the unit? Will I then need to convert 3.5mm to RCA? Is that how you did it? Thx
Old 05-23-2015, 06:11 AM

I used:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The USB DAC actually had a 3.5mm aux in addition to the RCA connectors so I just used that instead of the RCA connectors
Old 05-23-2015, 01:52 PM

Took a look at the 'tablet talk' app you mentioned. So although the app will provide a nice caller id and sms interface you still need a bluetooth device so you can hear the call and speak to the caller. So in other words, no audio through stereo speakers and no mic. I'm assuming to get that functionality you'd still need to get a bluetooth device that would pair with the stock head unit like this. http://shop.dension.com/en/gateway-lite-bt. If you get a device like that I would assume you would just connect it directly to the phone.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:20 PM

Mein Auto: x3 3.0i
First off, congratulations on your Nexus 7 installation! I have been recently looking into this kind of setup for my 2010 X3 as well, but running into some questions as well. My biggest 2 items:
1. Bluetooth streaming / calling - I was trying to see if it was possible to use this in conjunction with one of the bluetooth modules such as the GROM BT package and has an AUX-In. I don't own one of these personally, but thought it might work?
2. Rear view camera (I believe supported with Timur rom)

I also stumbled upon a custom Nexus holder that was crafted from the Garmin GPS mount:

https://www.drive2.ru/b/1261513/?page=0

But I'm having a hard time locating this part as well. Would love it if you could keep us up to date, I'm really interested in doing this to my car as well. I'm trying to rule out the Dynavin.

Cheers!

Last edited by komodobmw; 05-26-2015 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:35 PM

Mein Auto: x3 3.0i
Been doing some more searching, and I was able to locate the Garmin Mount online, the part number is: 65900445996

Found it for $69.00 USD:

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E83-X3-M54_3.0L/ES256207/

I am learning toward buying the GROM BT audio kit, and try to add this on top it via the AUX in there. That way I can take calls and stream music that way, and this would be a supplemental screen for GPS & backup camera.

Let me know if you guys have any thoughts or experience on this. Thanks!
Old 06-05-2015, 08:30 AM

komodobmw;

Will the nexus 7 fit in the portable nav kit?
Old 06-05-2015, 08:56 AM

Yeah, it looks like the portable nav kit will not fit, gotta modify it to make nexus 7 fit. Dang it!

http://www.drive2.ru/b/1261513/?page=0
Old 06-05-2015, 08:56 AM

Yeah, it looks like the portable nav kit will not fit, gotta modify it to make nexus 7 fit. Dang it!

http://www.drive2.ru/b/1261513/?page=0
Old 06-05-2015, 03:29 PM

mbflavor;

I'm curious to know where you connected the 12v to 5v adapter? The cigarette lighter in my x3 doesn't power off when the key is pulled from the ignition and the tablet never goes to standby. Just wondered where you ended up placing it or if there is something wrong with my setup. Thx.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Best thing to do is add a new outlet thwt turns off with the ignition. Easy to do if you use an add a fuse product. I latched onto fuse 5 behind the glovebox and routed it to the center console without having to take it apart.

I'm in the process of doing what MBflavor did. Factory nav, dsp, etc.

I do have one question. Will I be able to retain the use of the oem phone bluetooth and back seat aux port if I disconnect all the nav equipment and plop in a business cd head unit?

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search