Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 03-21-2011, 04:08 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X-5
Questions for X-3 3.5 owners...

Was wondering if any of you test drove the X-5 prior to buying or ordering the x-3. If so would you kindly reply as to the driving impressions and the over all experience of the two?
Thanks.
Gene
Advertisement
Old 03-21-2011, 05:31 AM

Mein Auto: X3
gene -

not sure it's completely an apples to apples comparison, but i had an x5 when they were redesigned in 08 (maybe '07?). anyhow, the x5 was big, and to me, a bit sluggish with the 3.0 engine (260 hp). granted i didn't ride it hard, but to me, the x3 35 feels like a rocket compared to my old x5. we didn't need the extra room that the x5 offered, and frankly, i just like the feel of the 3 series (was considering a 528i, but then i drove the x3). my wife has a 330xi, and we're picking up our x3 later today. we're just a '3 family' i guess.

rainking
Old 03-21-2011, 07:49 AM
Fountainhead

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
I test drove an X5 35d before ordering my x3 35i (remember, it's 35i, not 3.5). The X5 was nice, but much too large for me. My wife's '09 CX-9 is roughly the same size and, to be completely honest, felt like the better car. The X5 felt lumbering and oafish compared to both versions of the F25. Price was also a factor. Since I purchased the car right out, I didn't want to blow an unnecessary amount of money. The X5 was just more car than I needed.
I was coming from an '09 328i, and I wanted something slightly bigger. If there was a 335xi wagon available, that would have been my choice. But the 35i is the closest I could get. So far I love it.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to M Power
Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i
I own both 08 x5 4.8i and 11 x3 35i and I usually prefer driving x5.
X5 is no doubt bigger car. But with its dynamic suspension, car feels very composed. Interior of x3, even with its improvements, still feels noticeably cheaper than x5.

x3 is noticeably quicker but it doesn't have the substantial feeling when accelerating. when accelerating in x5, you feel the authoritive nature in the car. but in x3, it feels busy (due to 8 speed) and a little jumpy. if i put it into an anology, kinda like in a martial art match up, x3 is like a very talented teenager with lots of tricks, taking fast steps. x5 on the other hand is like a mature and seasoned master who lets his presence and authority known by just standing still. in another word, x3 feels much more athletic, almost defying the common conception of SUV/SAV. x5 feels like SUV/SAV and drives like one too. and when it needs to, it can handle quite well against most other cars including x3.

when x3m comes out, comparing x3m & x5m might be different though. because that comparison should be based on performance, and i would probably lean towards x3m because i would bet it will just feel more like M with SUV/SAV capability.
2001 X5 4.4i -sold-
2001 M5 -sold-
2001 M Roadster (SCed, Highly modified) -sold-
2000 M Roadster -sold-
1995 325is -sold-
Old 03-22-2011, 08:15 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
The two are quite different size-wise, not quite a fair comparison. My pop's X5 feels big, real big and no where near as agile with the standard suspension. On two-lane backroads in rural Virginia, the X5 takes concentration to drive and the steering is slower to respond. The X3 feels more maneuverable around town and far easier to handle when parking or changing lanes. The interior of the X3 is also more updated and look and feels nicer than the somewhat dated interior of the X5.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:24 AM
Fountainhead

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
The two are quite different size-wise, not quite a fair comparison. My pop's X5 feels big, real big and no where near as agile with the standard suspension. On two-lane backroads in rural Virginia, the X5 takes concentration to drive and the steering is slower to respond. The X3 feels more maneuverable around town and far easier to handle when parking or changing lanes. The interior of the X3 is also more updated and look and feels nicer than the somewhat dated interior of the X5.
You're right.

The X5 is an SUV. The X3 is one of those not-quite-a-wagon-not-quite-an-SUV-not-quite-a-sedan things that we call a crossover. It's a little bit X5 and a little bit 3 series, but just different enough from both to be difficult to compare.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
+1 in spite of BMW calling it an "SAV" it still remains an SUV for all intents and purposes IMHO. Perhaps the pre-07 X5 "might" have been an SAV but the new bigger one is right up there wiith the rest of the JGC, Explorers, ML's, XC90's and yes, even the Tahoes and Enclaves.