Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 07-30-2015, 02:48 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 2001 525i
Starts, but stalls immediately

2001 525i

Car has been in the garage for 6 weeks or so, while I waited to replace a shorted (and slightly burned) LCM. This caused death to the battery. Used PA Soft to recode.

New battery installed, and it would crank up and start, but almost immediately would stall out and cut off. Not sure if any of the coding stuff helped, but later that day it started and I drove it a bit and put it back in the garage. Tried to start the next day and the stalling was back...

Any ideas? I'm attaching a PDF of all codes with errors (after clearing).

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf bmw_codes_e39.pdf (124.1 KB, 17 views)
Advertisement
Old 07-30-2015, 03:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Fuel pressure?

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 528iT/5, S/C
Many years ago I had a problem and had to leave the ignition on to diagnose. The battery slowly went flat. Had to jump the car to start and it would bearly run. Reset adaptives and it was fine.

Apparantly the DME got very "confused" as the battery died.

Try resetting adaptives.

VF Supercharger Kit much modified & tuned by FS Tuning Tech, M5 Front Sports Seats, CVV to Catch Can Conversion, Boost Gauge, Schmiedmann S.S. Header to Rear Muffler High Flow Exhaust, Header Ceramic Coated Inside & Out, Heat Wrapped from Header Flanges to & Including CATs, Kicker Sub w/200 Watt Amp, CCFL Angel Eyes, Blackout Facelift Kidney Grills, Quaife LS Diff, Zionsville Super Duty Cooling Kit, Derale Electric Cooling Fan Ajustable Controller w/2 Speed Circuit (JimLev Design).
Old 07-31-2015, 08:31 AM

More evidence of scrambled modules as the battery slowly dies.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:49 AM

more detail after latest: hooked up battery, ran PA Soft, cleared errors... that's really all I did. Car started and ran fine. I did turn off and restart a couple of times. Turned off the car, came back a few minutes later, and same problem (stalling) again....

Can you reset adaptives through PA Soft johnstern?

Is there any way to 'unscramble modules' edjack?
Old 08-01-2015, 04:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 528iT/5, S/C
Quote:
Originally Posted by 110murphy View Post
more detail after latest: hooked up battery, ran PA Soft, cleared errors... that's really all I did. Car started and ran fine. I did turn off and restart a couple of times. Turned off the car, came back a few minutes later, and same problem (stalling) again....

Can you reset adaptives through PA Soft johnstern?

Is there any way to 'unscramble modules' edjack?
I believe that Ed and I are talking about the same thing. I'm not familiar with PA Soft but I can't imagine that you can't reset adaptives with it. Your codes do seem illogical-all 4 O2s with problems at the same time: not likely. But you might want to check the DME fuses (there are 5) in the e box located under the passenger side cabin filter. If the O2 sensor fuse is blown, that would cause problems.

VF Supercharger Kit much modified & tuned by FS Tuning Tech, M5 Front Sports Seats, CVV to Catch Can Conversion, Boost Gauge, Schmiedmann S.S. Header to Rear Muffler High Flow Exhaust, Header Ceramic Coated Inside & Out, Heat Wrapped from Header Flanges to & Including CATs, Kicker Sub w/200 Watt Amp, CCFL Angel Eyes, Blackout Facelift Kidney Grills, Quaife LS Diff, Zionsville Super Duty Cooling Kit, Derale Electric Cooling Fan Ajustable Controller w/2 Speed Circuit (JimLev Design).
Old 08-02-2015, 02:01 AM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
you are john,

there no suppose to forget who they are when they get unhooked from the battery... but damn near 20 years later and the caps dont hold as much charge, the car bleeds off its power after being unhooked

its like it talked to a benz or something while it was sleeping

"Burning 2nd is a lot like vitamin tonic. Overly harsh, tastes like crap, but somewhere in all that there's good intent......just have to learn to read between the lines, actually you have to squint really hard to see the good, but its there somewhere"

15486372<-----
Old 08-02-2015, 05:36 AM

thanks, will also check the O2 sensor.

and burning2nd, what 'caps' are you referring to? thanks!
Old 08-02-2015, 09:37 AM
Older than old school

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6, '90 k75s
I think he's talking about capacitors.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:53 PM
Under the lift arms

yeah the capacitors in the ECM was what i was referring to...

"Burning 2nd is a lot like vitamin tonic. Overly harsh, tastes like crap, but somewhere in all that there's good intent......just have to learn to read between the lines, actually you have to squint really hard to see the good, but its there somewhere"

15486372<-----
Old 08-03-2015, 07:46 AM

During recoding last night, I didn't see anything that looked like 'reset adaptives'.

And thanks for explaining 'caps'... so I'm wondering if this issue below (related to original post) is related to those caps?
As before, car started and ran after recoding. Let it run, restarted fine, let it run some more, turned it off, came back 30 minutes later... started once and stalled, then on second attempt acted like battery was dead (nothing...)

Do I have a gremlin in there, or could the cap issue cause that?

See attached file here for DME coding 'before and after' for last night. The cleared codes on 'after' do return after running the car.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf new codes e39.pdf (85.7 KB, 8 views)
Old 08-03-2015, 02:44 PM
Under the lift arms

No... i was talking about why some Bmw loose there mind after sitting unplugged for a long time and others don't... the capacitors are internal to the ECm and are no different then the on board battery of a motherboard... "bios" of the car if you will

just for get the whole conversation of capacitors.... different topic...

you need to confirm voltage charging.
you need to check your grounds
you need to eliminate any external modification

this sounds like the nature of a failing relay

15486372<-----
Old 08-03-2015, 04:17 PM

A few anecdotes over the years suggest that the modules can be reset thus:

Make sure the battery is fully charged.

Open the boot and wait 16 min for the car to go to sleep. The trunk lights will go out.

Disconnect the battery. Easiest is at the chassis connection.

Wait 5 min or so; the time is not terribly critical, AFAIK.

Reconnect the battery.

Report Back

Last edited by edjack; 08-03-2015 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:31 AM

Thanks guys. Not sure about 'failing relay', and feeling like this is beyond my abilities, so took it to the shop. Want to know what they say...

Will update. edJack, I actually did that without knowing what I was doing... had been disconnecting the battery so it wouldn't drain when the headlights would come back on randomly... But what do you mean by "open the boot"? What's the 'boot'?

Very much appreciate you guys' help.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:18 AM

UPDATE:
Stalling: shop says its mass air flow sensor. They've unplugged and will run but not great. I'm seeing some vast differences on pricing for that online. Any concerns buying from a cheaper site instead of FCP?

As for the electrical, they did say it was related to the turn signal switch. I'll be replacing that as well.