Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 07-08-2015, 08:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 540i/6
540i/6 questions...

Hello fellow bimmers,
I just brought home my first bimmer last night. It is an all stock 2002 540i/6 with 75k miles. I have a few questions about the car if anybody could help me out, it'd be appreciated. My first question is this, when pulling out in first gear it makes a rapid clicking sound for a second or two IF the wheels are turnt at all, what could that be? Another thing is at idle it makes like a deep tapping sound, but I don't believe it is Vanos or timing chains due to such low miles and because the previous owner was 74 and just used it as a car for groceries and church. Third and final, I noticed that if I try to shift hard at high rpm, the clutch seems to slip and stay at 5700rpm for a second or two from like first to second and then second to third, but it never slips at all anywhere else. Sorry if any of these questions sound dumb but I'm only 17 and never had a bimmer before, so don't go too hard on me. Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2015, 08:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '01 540i 6sp '01 X5 4.4
The genius engineers in Dingle-berry-hoffing (or whatever) thought that adding a CDV, (clutch delay valve) would increase clutch-life and prevent 17 year olds from mobbin' the throttle to red-line and then dumping the clutch...most here have removed it. (I still have mine intact and on the original clutch at 167,500 miles, so perhaps there's something to it ) Anyway, it can be rather finicky and will take some getting used to.

Ticking while turning? Sounds like a front wheel drive car with a CV joint going out? Sorry, I got nothin' on that one.

The engine noise is probably normal...these V8's have a strange diesel-like sound at idle

Hope you keep the shiny side up and between the ditches
Old 07-08-2015, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferjohnm View Post
The genius engineers in Dingle-berry-hoffing (or whatever) thought that adding a CDV, (clutch delay valve) would increase clutch-life and prevent 17 year olds from mobbin' the throttle to red-line and then dumping the clutch...most here have removed it. (I still have mine intact and on the original clutch at 167,500 miles, so perhaps there's something to it ) Anyway, it can be rather finicky and will take some getting used to.

Ticking while turning? Sounds like a front wheel drive car with a CV joint going out? Sorry, I got nothin' on that one.

The engine noise is probably normal...these V8's have a strange diesel-like sound at idle

Hope you keep the shiny side up and between the ditches
Haha I'll have to delete that CDV as that had me freaking out, I thought oh great just spent all my money on a BMW and now I can't afford to change the clutch. The ticking actually does sound similar to a cv joint on a fwd but hey I thought it may have been something unusual being a bmw. Thanks, I'm really trying to keep it nice! It drives like a dream compared to my 2003 GTI.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:05 PM

Here's a pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	518528  
Old 07-09-2015, 04:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 540/6 2014 328xdT
Turning tick: I'd forget about that for as long as possible- you'll read members on this board chasing every manner of front end ticks and clacks, you'll figure it out some day. Mine was tie rods.
Idle tick: I'd consider replacing the chain tensioner as the spring loses efficiency with time. It's cheap and takes 5 minutes. Enjoy the car!
Old 07-09-2015, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ63 View Post
Turning tick: I'd forget about that for as long as possible- you'll read members on this board chasing every manner of front end ticks and clacks, you'll figure it out some day. Mine was tie rods.
Idle tick: I'd consider replacing the chain tensioner as the spring loses efficiency with time. It's cheap and takes 5 minutes. Enjoy the car!
Thank you! That makes me feel a lot better about the car. One last thing, what oil would you recommend for a 540i?
Old 07-09-2015, 06:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 540/6 2014 328xdT
Silverstone Warning!!
You'll find members here to be extremely helpful problem solvers, but that is probably the single question that most participants hate to see and/or refuse to answer. The answer is any brand that is equal to specs. My guess is the largest percentage of us would purchase Mobil1 tailored to season.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:29 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by golferjohnm View Post
The genius engineers in Dingle-berry-hoffing (or whatever)...
That would be the BMW plant in Dingolfing Germany.

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg
Old 07-10-2015, 08:26 PM

UPDATE: Here is a link to a YouTube video that I found, my car sounds identical to this while idling. Is that healthy and normal?
Old 07-10-2015, 11:33 PM
oOO (|||) (|||) OOo

Mein Auto: 03 530iA Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ63 View Post
Silverstone Warning!!
You'll find members here to be extremely helpful problem solvers, but that is probably the single question that most participants hate to see and/or refuse to answer.
The answer is any brand that is equal to specs.
My guess is the largest percentage of us would purchase Mobil1 tailored to season.
+1. Everyone will have a different opinion. Asking for oil recommendations is like asking if someone has a brain; everyone has one, and everyone's brain is a little different, and very opinionated.

I used Mobil 1 10w40 full synthetic high mileage "European formula" motor oil last oil change, and it has reduced my oil consumption in my 530i from a quart every 1,500 miles to one about every 3,000 (and counting). Technically, it's not "official" BMW oil, but it's worked well for me. I also replaced my oil pan drain plug with an ECS Tuning magnetic drain plug.

"Seabiscuit"

Totaled (by me!) & Rebuilt in Fall 2014
Old 07-11-2015, 12:18 AM

Mein Auto: 98 540 6sp, 87 Audi quatt
0W 40 Mobil 1 or 0 w30
Old 07-11-2015, 01:38 AM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
o-40 oil
a bently manual if you plan on keeping it
a good job if you plan on keeping it

Timing chanin tensioner (5 min job) 100$ -/+

get ready shes gonna eat money..

Cooling, chains, valley pan,

Good news is your vanos is fine!

"Burning 2nd is a lot like vitamin tonic. Overly harsh, tastes like crap, but somewhere in all that there's good intent......just have to learn to read between the lines, actually you have to squint really hard to see the good, but its there somewhere"

15486372<-----
Old 07-11-2015, 06:33 AM
Uh.. Did you say "yuuts"?

Mein Auto: 540i 6 spd. sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstone540i View Post
UPDATE: Here is a link to a YouTube video that I found, my car sounds identical to this while idling. Is that healthy and normal?
If you look a little further, he replaced his timing chain tensioner and posted another video of the sound gone.

Enjoy the ride. Fantastic automobiles. Once you get bitten by the Bimmer bug you won't be able to turn back. Easiest car I have ever maintained, and that's a good thing as they tend to require a bit more TLC that others out there. This web site has been a godsend. There isn't much you can't find here. The interweb is your friend for parts. Autozone, NAPA etc isn't going to stock the parts and if they happen to have them you will pay dearly. They will have oil filters, but get the oil at Walmart... which brings me to oil... yeah... multiply how many cars are out there by how many different oils there are and that's how many answers you will get.

Driving style matters. I drive about 90 miles a day on the highway. Very little around town driving. So my use may be very different from you. I've tried Mobil 1 5w30 - Mobil 1 0w40 - Castrol 0w40 and Mobil 1 5w30 High Mileage. They all worked. The High Mileage made it a little quieter, so I'm sticking with that (for now). The Castrol made it the noisiest, but seemed a little cleaner in looking through the pour spout area (if that matters at all). I changed the Castrol out at 2500 miles as I couldn't stand all the various noises that popped up. All others made it to the 6000 miles mark and probably could have gone more. That's another thing. Don't use the recommended change interval of 15,000 miles. Most here go around 5 to 6000 or so. There are probably those here who will give you the exact opposite answer as I did. So there ya go. Oil: as long as you change it frequently, you won't have an issue.

Oh boy is this a can of worms. Debating weather or not to delete this.....

- Embrace your amber corners -
Old 07-13-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by computiNATEor View Post
+1. Everyone will have a different opinion. Asking for oil recommendations is like asking if someone has a brain; everyone has one, and everyone's brain is a little different, and very opinionated.

I used Mobil 1 10w40 full synthetic high mileage "European formula" motor oil last oil change, and it has reduced my oil consumption in my 530i from a quart every 1,500 miles to one about every 3,000 (and counting). Technically, it's not "official" BMW oil, but it's worked well for me. I also replaced my oil pan drain plug with an ECS Tuning magnetic drain plug.
Thanks for the suggestion! Ordering a magnetic drain plug sounds like a good idea
Old 07-13-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuuts View Post
If you look a little further, he replaced his timing chain tensioner and posted another video of the sound gone.

Enjoy the ride. Fantastic automobiles. Once you get bitten by the Bimmer bug you won't be able to turn back. Easiest car I have ever maintained, and that's a good thing as they tend to require a bit more TLC that others out there. This web site has been a godsend. There isn't much you can't find here. The interweb is your friend for parts. Autozone, NAPA etc isn't going to stock the parts and if they happen to have them you will pay dearly. They will have oil filters, but get the oil at Walmart... which brings me to oil... yeah... multiply how many cars are out there by how many different oils there are and that's how many answers you will get.

Driving style matters. I drive about 90 miles a day on the highway. Very little around town driving. So my use may be very different from you. I've tried Mobil 1 5w30 - Mobil 1 0w40 - Castrol 0w40 and Mobil 1 5w30 High Mileage. They all worked. The High Mileage made it a little quieter, so I'm sticking with that (for now). The Castrol made it the noisiest, but seemed a little cleaner in looking through the pour spout area (if that matters at all). I changed the Castrol out at 2500 miles as I couldn't stand all the various noises that popped up. All others made it to the 6000 miles mark and probably could have gone more. That's another thing. Don't use the recommended change interval of 15,000 miles. Most here go around 5 to 6000 or so. There are probably those here who will give you the exact opposite answer as I did. So there ya go. Oil: as long as you change it frequently, you won't have an issue.

Oh boy is this a can of worms. Debating weather or not to delete this.....
Thank you for the suggestions! I was mainly asking which viscosity, I didn't mean to start a war.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:12 PM

Update on the clicking noise:

It's kind of like a loud metallic rattle and it happens if I switch to reverse to back out and then will happen again when I put it in first and go to pull out. Also if I'm going slowly in first gear like leaving a parking lot and hit the clutch you will hear the rattle again. It seems to be coming from the rear of the car...driveshaft u-joints possibly?
Old 07-13-2015, 06:21 PM
oOO (|||) (|||) OOo

Mein Auto: 03 530iA Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstone540i View Post
Update on the clicking noise:

It's kind of like a loud metallic rattle and it happens if I switch to reverse to back out and then will happen again when I put it in first and go to pull out. Also if I'm going slowly in first gear like leaving a parking lot and hit the clutch you will hear the rattle again. It seems to be coming from the rear of the car...driveshaft u-joints possibly?
Hmm. I've never read of noisy u-joints; doesn't mean it's not possible, though. Does it sound like it's clutch related? It could be failure of the dual-mass flywheel or the self-adjusting clutch assembly.

"Seabiscuit"

Totaled (by me!) & Rebuilt in Fall 2014
Old 07-13-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Hmm. I've never read of noisy u-joints; doesn't mean it's not possible, though. Does it sound like it's clutch related? It could be failure of the dual-mass flywheel or the self-adjusting clutch assembly.
I don't believe it's clutch related but it's possible. It doesn't make any noise while engaging or disengaging. Only after it's fully engaged or fully disengaged. Like if I just blip the throttle and let the clutch out to pull out after reversing it'll do it. How could I tell if it's the fly wheel?
Old 07-13-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
It's not something I feel at all, i can just hear it. If that helps at all. Clutch feels completely normal
Old 07-13-2015, 07:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i Sport
Just a quick check. When mine started ticking it turned out be the serpentine belt. It had started to deteriorate and what can be best described as a rubber thread was slapping as the belt turned. Easy fix. New Belt.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:49 AM

Any other suggestions about the rear end noise?
Old 07-14-2015, 09:45 AM

Bumppp