Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-23-2014, 01:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i
advice on taking care of a new engine

About 3 months ago my headgasket was blown finally saved up enough for the new engine and labor costs. My question is how can I keep my distance from over heating issues? thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 01-23-2014, 01:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '98 528
Maintain your cooling system??
Old 01-23-2014, 02:08 PM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
That's the best way. Overhaul the cooling system every 90K. Change coolant every two years.

And, occasionally, glance at the temp gauge.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

Last edited by edjack; 01-23-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:21 PM

Mein Auto: 525i station wagon
Clean everything under the hood with foaming engine cleaner and spray off. Then drive around and warm everything to operating temp. Come back home and spray Armor All over all you can see and wipe down. Close the hood and let the heat take over. About 20 min after all of this raise the hood again and wipe down with clean cloths. Now you will se a bright and shiny new engine compartment.
When ever you see any whiteish spots around the cooling system after doing the above--find where they are coming from and make the fix--for they woud be small coolent leaks. Your making sure you don't have any--NONE--Watch where you park and make sure there are no leaks on the ground when you move your car after it's been setting---Keep a small flash light around and when ever you raise the hood--turn the light on and shine it down from the engine bay to your splash sheild--your checking to make sure there isn't any pooling of coolent or oil or power steering fluid--stay on top of all of the above and change out the cooling system as discribed by others,,and your new engine will last a long, long time.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:40 PM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
I Think setting a date or time On replacing somethng is foolish..

I think your best bet.. Is to open the hood at least every weekend..

Smell the car..
look under the hood..
look for drips on the ground.. you need to be on top of looking at

These are not cars for the type of people who only open there hood every 3 or 4 months..

carry a flash light... open the hood when your filling gas.. Inspection inspection inspection
Old 01-23-2014, 05:11 PM

i want to get it back on the streets asap but ive never replaced the engine on the car so I dont know how it would feel driving it after that like would it still be the same as one with all original parts if I do as mentioned by others
Old 01-23-2014, 05:11 PM

*on A car
Old 01-23-2014, 06:11 PM
Under the lift arms

its like a heart transplant...

you dont go out and run a marathon after,

take it slow take it ez.. and observe
Old 01-23-2014, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 103K miles
These cars are not new. They have at least 90K-150K, so virtually all cooling parts are past due.

Your best defense is "cooling overhaul". This way you will not be back to another head gasket blowing up.

About 99% of people in the forum will tell you the same two words "cooling overhaul".
Old 01-24-2014, 01:16 AM

Mein Auto: 1996 528i 1999 MB c240
You seem tight on money, so spending on things that are not broken is tough. As said before, inspection in the word, any sign of leaks or low coolant is a cause to start replacing worn items.Weekly under the hood inspection is a must on these cars even on top maintained ones.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:57 AM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning2nd View Post
I Think setting a date or time On replacing somethng is foolish..
Not to those who did not heed the advice, and then suffered a catastrophic cooling system failure that took out the engine.

Cooling system failures are legion on the E39, et al. This is just preventative medicine, like a flu shot: Some decide not to.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:42 PM
Under the lift arms

i suppose
Old 01-24-2014, 03:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 525i
What price range would a person be looking at for a cooling system overhaul from an Indy?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-24-2014, 03:31 PM

^^^^^good question
Old 01-24-2014, 04:04 PM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Parts alone are about $700 (if you go all in), depending on source and brand. A minimum of 3-4 hrs labor. Say $1,000 if you find a cheap indy, $1,200 for an average and $2,000+ for a dealer.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:28 PM

Mein Auto: Wrenching 99 540i 4.4 AT
Answer is simple. Do proper Maintenance and repair known weak links. Don't ignore CEL,Fix issues right away instead of driving for a year or till car will not run properly due to lack of repair.I understand people get strapped for cash but if you cant fix it then maybe a huffy is a better option.I surely hate hearing oh CEL has been on for year but car ran great till yesterday when it keeps shutting off , wont start or rattles when trying to start . I pull codes and its very clear person should not be driving a bmw or any vehicle for that fact. Then get that, Is it going to cost a lot to fix because I need my car now , its my only way to work.

No matter what you do , anything man made can and WILL break but keeping maintenance up and having known weak links taken care of right away helps get you to 300-500k.If vehicle is not looked over during maintenance/service, you miss that chance to find a minor issue before it becomes major breakdown. Just changing oil is not enough, get under it look , touch and listen everywhere while your oil is draining.Most times a seeping water pump can be found before it becomes a serious breakdown.This is the time that can help avoid major breakdowns/repairs.Every vehicle made has it known faults and issues, fix them before they happen and end up costing.Any vehicle can just up and breakdown no matter how well you maintain it but your chances are much lower of having major breakdowns.I have seen anything from a hairline cracked exhaust headers, leaking oil cooler line o rings, leaking freeze plug, seeping water pump,loose half shaft support bearings,loose/missing oil pan bolts(4.3L Chevy are notorious for this) down to a worn out radiator grommets working on causing wear hole leak in radiator.All just on minor oil change service.Some stuff you can notify owner to keep eye on but without taken the time to look vehicle over, little stuff turns into major problems in a hurry.

I watched a lot of guys just toss on a set of pads without taken time to look at old brake pads or even at the rotors & brake hoses.Have watched Vehicles come back a few days/weeks/months later for squealing,pulling,grinding.......All when if someone took a sec to look at wear on pads/rotors/hoses it all could have been avoided and correct repairs could have all been done in single visit.I love the oh because your caliper hose clasped, It locked up the caliper causing new pads to wear down to metal and then tore up the rotor, we will need to replace the pads again along with other repairs and charge you again due to part failure and it wasn't our shops fault because our repair did not cause this.You can tell a lot from a set of pads wear or rotors if there are hiding issues which will premature failures if you take lil bit of time to look.

Everyone has favorite oil , just keep it changed 3-6k. Not a fan of synthetic oil at all and know that normal oil will get you to 200-500k, haven't seen a engine make it that far on synthetic personally so I tend to stick with what I know instead. Just think its a get rich scheme just like additives.Not one fuel additive on market does anything but make someone rich The only way to clean injectors is professional and there is reason its in a metal container which your car runs off of.

Ok I said Nuff now.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1michalt View Post
What price range would a person be looking at for a cooling system overhaul from an Indy?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Paid $300 for radiator, not including tstat - after labor about $6-700

Did the tstat a few months later $300 all in

So about $1k total for the whole thing parts+labor in StLouis MO