Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 03-08-2016, 07:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 530i Sport
Could this be causing my P0444? what does your connector look like?

So in going through everything trying to get the dang car to start, I pulled the connector off the purge/breather valve at the front of the motor and noticed there is only one metallic tab in the connector. See the attached image.

The valve "male" end, has two prongs but my connector only has the one metal receiving tab in it... what does your connector look like?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2728.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	553860  
"Digger" 2013 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT
Advertisement
Old 03-08-2016, 07:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 528iT/5, S/C
That certainly is a problem. How many wires coming out of the back of that connector?

The connector pictured looks just like the one that goes to the oil pressure sender on the oil filter housing-it just has one wire. Are you sure you haven't mixed up those connectors?

VF Supercharger Kit much modified & tuned by FS Tuning Tech,M5 Front Sports Seats,CVV to Catch Can Conversion,Boost Gauge, Schmiedmann S.S. Header to Rear Muffler High Flow Exhaust,Header Ceramic Coated Inside & Out,Heat Wrapped from Header Flanges to & Including CATs,Kicker Sub w/200 Watt Amp,CCFL Angel Eyes,Blackout Facelift Kidney Grills, Quaife LS Diff, Zionsville Super Duty Cooling Kit, EMP Stewart WP, Derale Electric Cooling Fan Ajustable Controller w/2 Speed Circuit (JimLev Design).
Old 03-08-2016, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 530i Sport
I'm pretty sure I haven't mixed them up. That notch in the top of the connector is offset from center on the oil filter housing connector. I've tried to switch them but they won't fit over the opposite ones because the notches don't line up. The weird thing is that I never had the code before I did all this work, so i'm thinking if there is supposed to be another metal receiver in there, I may have knocked it out some how?
"Digger" 2013 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT
Old 03-08-2016, 08:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 528iT/5, S/C
Sorry about the post I just wrote-it is wrong.

http://www.justanswer.com/bmw/7usnn-...tem-purge.html

The above link will explain how the purge valve works. There should definitely be 2 wires going to the valve-one for the power (12 volts) and one for the ground which is activated by the DME. The link will also help you to diagnose which wire is missing.

VF Supercharger Kit much modified & tuned by FS Tuning Tech,M5 Front Sports Seats,CVV to Catch Can Conversion,Boost Gauge, Schmiedmann S.S. Header to Rear Muffler High Flow Exhaust,Header Ceramic Coated Inside & Out,Heat Wrapped from Header Flanges to & Including CATs,Kicker Sub w/200 Watt Amp,CCFL Angel Eyes,Blackout Facelift Kidney Grills, Quaife LS Diff, Zionsville Super Duty Cooling Kit, EMP Stewart WP, Derale Electric Cooling Fan Ajustable Controller w/2 Speed Circuit (JimLev Design).

Last edited by johnstern; 03-08-2016 at 09:07 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search