Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 01-09-2011, 05:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Audi A4
Bicycle rack

We have an 08 X5 and are considering a new X3. We have the BMW bike carrier for the X5 that fits into the holes in the bumper (not into hitch mount).
I have not been able to find any information on whether this carrier will also fit into the X3 bumper holes. Anyone have any information?
Ads by Google
Old 02-27-2011, 04:43 PM

We took delivery our new X3 28 yesterday and today I answered my own question from the prior post about whether the X5 bicycle carrier that fits into the tow slots on the back bumper would also fit the X3. The answer is "NO" since the tow slots on the X5 are spaced much wider than those on the X3, which is interesting considering that the new X3 is not that much narrower than the X5.

So, anyway, we're back to looking at options for carrying bicycles. We have a Thule hitch mount carrier that we could use, but so far there does not seem to be a trailer hitch for the new X3. Anyone have any updates on that?

I also see the roof mounted options. We had our new X3 equipped with the optional roof rails in case we need to go with a roof mount. Anyone have any experience with either the BMW bicycle lift or the BMW mountain bike mount? We would need to carry three bicycles, two adult and one kids for our 8 year old son.

John

PS - Our X3 38 is Jet Black with black leather interior. We optioned it with Premium, Technology, Cold Weather, Convenience, satellite radio, premium sound, and the roof rails. MSRP was $48,750. We paid $500 over invoice plus the MACO/training fees. We thought that was a good deal on such a new car. So far we love the new car. It replaced an 08 X5 and we're really enjoying the upgraded interior (we also have an 11 528i, so most of the interior is very similar) and tech features over the X5, but most importantly we're enjoying the much quieter and smoother ride. The steering is a bit light in the X3, but we're OK with that since we drive mainly in the city. The interior space outside the cargo area feels very similar to the X5 and the car feels much more responsive even though is has 20 fewer HP (I guess losing almost 1000 lbs makes a big difference).
Old 02-27-2011, 09:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 F25
So, far I am using my Saris Bones 3 mounted on the rear lid of my X3 to carry my bikes. This works just fine, but I am hoping for a better solution. The roof mount will cost another app. $200US for the cross bars and then the cost of the Yakima/Thule bike mounts. I don't care for this idea, as I'll need a ladder to get the bikes up there. I've heard a BMW trailer hitch will cost about $1300US, so I am not crazy about that idea either. Perhaps BMW will come out with a similar bumper mount as they had on the X5?
Old 02-27-2011, 09:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 Sedan, 2011 X3 35
I ordered the 40:20:40 rear seat option in order to carry at least two bikes in the back. The advertisements I have seen show the X3 able to carry three bikes and three people so I am curious if this is possible.

What I actually think will happen is I will have to spend the money for the hitch and haul the bikes off the hitch. I understand from the dealer that the hitch will be available March or April.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 MT
I'm curious, is there an interior bike rack accessory for the new X3? I have one for my '07 X3 and I've been pleased with it.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:29 AM

Mein Auto: 335i Convertible
Interior Bike Rack Mount

Dealer claimed yesterday that one would become available soon. Still looking for a hitch though.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d M-Sport
My dealer told me a hitch would be available in April. No price mentioned.

2008 535xi: now in lease heaven
Old 03-10-2011, 07:35 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjjpc View Post
We took delivery our new X3 28 yesterday and today I answered my own question from the prior post about whether the X5 bicycle carrier that fits into the tow slots on the back bumper would also fit the X3. The answer is "NO" since the tow slots on the X5 are spaced much wider than those on the X3, which is interesting considering that the new X3 is not that much narrower than the X5.

So, anyway, we're back to looking at options for carrying bicycles. We have a Thule hitch mount carrier that we could use, but so far there does not seem to be a trailer hitch for the new X3. Anyone have any updates on that?

I also see the roof mounted options. We had our new X3 equipped with the optional roof rails in case we need to go with a roof mount. Anyone have any experience with either the BMW bicycle lift or the BMW mountain bike mount? We would need to carry three bicycles, two adult and one kids for our 8 year old son.

John

PS - Our X3 38 is Jet Black with black leather interior. We optioned it with Premium, Technology, Cold Weather, Convenience, satellite radio, premium sound, and the roof rails. MSRP was $48,750. We paid $500 over invoice plus the MACO/training fees. We thought that was a good deal on such a new car. So far we love the new car. It replaced an 08 X5 and we're really enjoying the upgraded interior (we also have an 11 528i, so most of the interior is very similar) and tech features over the X5, but most importantly we're enjoying the much quieter and smoother ride. The steering is a bit light in the X3, but we're OK with that since we drive mainly in the city. The interior space outside the cargo area feels very similar to the X5 and the car feels much more responsive even though is has 20 fewer HP (I guess losing almost 1000 lbs makes a big difference).

Who did you get it from? I have been dealing with Passport and Russell. I tried once with VOB and walked out after 5 minutes with one sales goof.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 03-11-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
Who did you get it from? I have been dealing with Passport and Russell. I tried once with VOB and walked out after 5 minutes with one sales goof.
We bought the car from VOB. This is the 5th BMW have leased/bought from them in the past 5 years, so we have developed a relationship that allows us to get their best price without any real negotiation. I don't know how willing they are to sell for this price to others. We also give them high marks on the customer service survey, and from what I have heard that is more important to compensation of the salesperson and sales manager than the price over invoice.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: X3
I'm looking at the current accessory list for the F25. I get the impression that this iteration of the X3 is less "Activity" oriented and more "urban" oriented. There isn't the reversible cargo floor that clips into the cargo net, there isn't an interior bike rack, and overall the trunk space isn't that much bigger. I feel that the E83 had more equipment carrying accessories.

You know BMW electrics are getting finicky when BMW offers a 99 battery recharger and a jumper cable set. And for the techies, there is a wireless headphone set with the rear DVD system.

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 03-11-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:26 PM

Mein Auto: Lotus Seven & X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by radmanzulu View Post
Dealer claimed yesterday that one would become available soon. Still looking for a hitch though.
Execuhitch is supposed to be working on a hidden design similar to the European BMW hitch. Their hitches for other vehicles are in the range of $700 to $900. They make both manual and electrically released hitches.

http://www.execuhitch.com/

I've inquired about the X3 hitch, and I suspect that they will get something in production sooner if they get a lot of inquiries (send them an email asking about a X3 hitch).

Last edited by Lotus7; 03-13-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:11 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 530i E39
Will bikes fit inside?

Hi,

I realise this thread is really focussed on external options. However, has anyone tried to load a mountain bike INSIDE the new X3? I am interested in whether or not a MTB will fit either upright or lying down and whether or not you need to remove the wheels when lying it down?

thanks.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:06 AM
Road or Beach

Mein Auto: 2012 Z4 35is
I am easily able to fit my road bike in my X3 by putting down one seat and taking off the front wheel. Let's me transport the bike and at least one person in the back. Could probably fit two but because I have to lean the bike it might be a problem for the guy in the middle seat.