Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-21-2011, 03:05 PM

Mein Auto: LTZ
Advice on 335xi vs. 328xi?

Hi there! I'm new to the forum but have been poking around looking for the best info to help me decide which model to get. I'm looking at 2008-2011 335xi's. However, my gf has a good friend who's a bmw mechanic and says stay away from the 335xi's because they have a ton of problems consistently. Says the 328xi has its fair share as well but not nearly as much as 335. Anyway I realize its only one opinion, but i have been reading a lot about the fuel pumps on the 335xis. I like the 335xi for the power over the 328 but I travel a lot and i'm going to put a ton of miles on this car very quckly. In fact i'm purchasing the maximum extended warranty I can get.

Whats your thoughts on the reliability of the two? I drove a C300 yesterday and it was a nice ride but way down on power, especially compared to my gf's G35x. I really appreciate all the info and assistance thanks.

J
Ads by Google
Old 03-21-2011, 03:57 PM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason93 View Post
Hi there! I'm new to the forum but have been poking around looking for the best info to help me decide which model to get. I'm looking at 2008-2011 335xi's. However, my gf has a good friend who's a bmw mechanic and says stay away from the 335xi's because they have a ton of problems consistently. Says the 328xi has its fair share as well but not nearly as much as 335. Anyway I realize its only one opinion, but i have been reading a lot about the fuel pumps on the 335xis. I like the 335xi for the power over the 328 but I travel a lot and i'm going to put a ton of miles on this car very quckly. In fact i'm purchasing the maximum extended warranty I can get.

Whats your thoughts on the reliability of the two? I drove a C300 yesterday and it was a nice ride but way down on power, especially compared to my gf's G35x. I really appreciate all the info and assistance thanks.

J
If you'll search, you will find plenty of existing threads regarding pros/cons of both models. Personally I would gladly change my current lease (2009 328xi with A/T) to something else (335i/335d or even G37, or an upcoming 2012 MB C-class with 302 hp DI engines). The electronic throttle response in my 328xi is absolutely awful and the A/T is very "rough", the fuel consumption is also awful (no, I don't care about price of fuel, but refueling the car very often is rather annoying). I wouldn't worry about the reliability of 335i/xi much - yes, there was (still is? not sure) issue with HPFP on those models, but BMW seems to have almost eliminated this issue (at least I don't see a lot of people nowadays mentioning it in all the forums).

Last edited by AlexK; 03-21-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:11 PM
Officially Contaminated

Mein Auto: 2009 E92 335i
I've had a 2007 328xi and now have a 2009 335i. Would I buy that 328xi again? Probably not. Would I buy my 335i again? Absolutely yes.

The 328 is a great little car aside from it's sub-par automatic transmission. Some will argue that the automatic in the 328 is perfectly fine and it's only when you compare it to the 335i automatic that you see the shortcomings. I've never driven a 335i with an automatic so I wouldn't know. My 328xi actually spent more time at the dealership for repairs than my current 335i. The fuel pumps on the 335i are warrantied for 120k miles I believe.

That being said, yes the 335i has had its fair share of issues, especially in the 2007 and 2008 models.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 XDrive 28i
go with 335xi if u need lot of power, 328xi is OK sedan, 335xi will be really quick, i have both rwd and AWD model of 328i, performance on 328i RWD is far better and better gas milage (not a big factor though fro most people)
E90 2007
E46 2005
Old 03-21-2011, 05:25 PM
GONE

Mein Auto: .................
Quote:

J
Honestly, we have had our 335xi for almost 2 years now and it is really not has problematic as a lot of people proclaim it to be.At least from my own experience it is not. Every time, we do have a problem, our Bmw dealer gives us a great loaners. I think we have had an awesome experience with the 335, I love that car!
Old 03-21-2011, 05:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
I drive a 335xi. 47,000 miles in 21 months. Average 25 mpg, 80% highway travel at 75 - 80 mph. It gets over 31+ mpg on the highway if I keep it at 65. I don't - it's too much fun to drive.

I had the fuel pump replaced at 18,000 because of long starts, and again 2,000 miles ago as part of the recall to upgrade to the new pump design. There have been a few other issues, but no deal breakers, and no other problems that I wouldn't expect from a 328xi as well.

The big question mark has always been the fuel pump. That seems resolved with the new design and the recall replacement, and even if it isn't, they're warrantied out past 100,000 miles anyway. Don't sweat it.

Would I do it again? In a heartbeat. When I was deciding between the 328xi and the 335xi, I commented to a friend's wife that it seemed a little selfish to spend the extra $5,000 on the N54 engine, as it was essentially a "toy" add on. The 328xi would have been more than adequate. Her comment was that if I went with "adequate", I would always regret not getting the 335. Best advice I ever received.

If the $ difference isn't determinative for you, get the 335xi. Otherwise, you will kick yourself every time you see one, and that will take a lot of the fun out of the experience. And, let's face it, you're doing this because you want to have fun.

George

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion

Last edited by Zooks527; 03-21-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:47 PM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
Quote:
The 328 is a great little car aside from it's sub-par automatic transmission. Some will argue that the automatic in the 328 is perfectly fine and it's only when you compare it to the 335i automatic that you see the shortcomings.
I compared both and there is nothing wrong with the 328's. Mine is creamy smooth. ZF have more mechanical issues (leaks...).

As for the 328 vs 335, I recommend it your case a 335 since you consider power so highly. Also, the 335i comes with Xenon stock and a much nicer stock engine note, and you'll recover a good part of the 6000$ difference at resale. However having said that, I just wouldn't want to have a 335i out of warranty.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:47 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
OP, it would be difficult to find two cars which are so much the same, yet so different. If bawlz to the wall performance is what you want then you want the 335i. If you want all the handling and everything else which comes standard in a BMW, and want better mileage (especially considering how much driving you're going to do) then you want the 328i.
Which is more important to you?

Edit; Welcome to Bimmerfest Jason. Where are you in NH? I'm in Nashua, but there's quite a few Granite Staters here.

Last edited by DSXMachina; 03-21-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
OP, it would be difficult to find two cars which are so much the same, yet so different. If bawlz to the wall performance is what you want then you want the 335i. If you want all the handling and everything else which comes standard in a BMW, and want better mileage (especially considering how much driving you're going to do) then you want the 328i.

Edit; Welcome to Bimmerfest Jason. Where are you in NH? I'm in Nashua, but there's quite a few Granite Staters here.
Actually, with the n55 engine the EPA mileage rating is about the same or slightly better than the 328. Just sayin

http://nyccarblog.blogspot.com/
Old 03-21-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325 View Post
Actually, with the n55 engine the EPA mileage rating is about the same or slightly better than the 328. Just sayin
Would the owner of a 335 drive it according to the EPA drive cycle?
I don't think I do.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:02 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:

Pay no attention to DSX, Both the 328 and the 335i are total crap!

Bur seriously folks, they are both very nice cars and have a lot in common. The 328 is not as fast or powerful as the 335i but it is by no means slow.

FWIW my 2007 335i has been very reliable and I have never had to take it to the dealer except for routine maintenance.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory

Last edited by captainaudio; 03-21-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:13 PM
Iwanna330Cic

Mein Auto: '11 E91 & '12 Z4 3.5i
Jason,

Keep in mind many if not most posting here includes a tiny portion of the BMW owners out there and this group tends to be more critical about little things, and will announce death notices over things that are otherwise considered an annoyance by most. The 335i still gets a bad rap over the HPFP which has been said now has a great warranty. I had one for three years and never had a problem with it. It really does boil down to which one you want. The 328i isn't as blistering fast, but it has the same handling and driving dynamics which are superb. True - the automatic version doesn't have the same low-end torque, but if you put it in sport (+/or get the paddle shifters) you can still have a lot of fun with it. And - you can rev this one at higher limits (i.e. more fun!) and not get sent to jail like you would with the 335i. Test drive them both and decide which one you really like.

Doug
Old 03-21-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Pay no attention to DSX, Both the 328 and the 335i are total crap!

Bur seriously folks, they are both very nice cars and have a lot in common. The 328 is not as fast or powerful as the 335i but it is by no means slow.

FWIW my 2007 335i has been very reliable and I have never had to take it to the dealer except for routine maintenance.

CA
OP, 'Search' "Captainaudio, pothole explosions" It's been a love-hate-love relationship.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
OP, 'Search' "Captainaudio, pothole explosions" It's been a love-hate-love relationship.
OK I'm busted!

I was trying to sucker the OP into buying a POS BMW.

Misery loves company!

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 03-21-2011, 06:20 PM

Wow, thanks a lot for all of this great info! I'm leaning towards the 335xi because thats what I originally wanted until I spoke to that mechanic, then i started questioning it. I think it would bug me that i didnt get it, even if I dont use it, id like to have it. My only concern was reliability on these as I've never owned one. I live in Manchester, NH. My only other decision now is if I want a coupe or the sedan. I have to decide soon because there's only a few in my area in the colors that i want. I like the look of the coupe better but i'm also coming from a full size crew cab truck and have never owned a 2 door car! Yikes! I dont have more than one person with me most times anyway.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i
You know what they say about opinions right?

I drove a 2011 328i in 2-door and 4-door configurations and with a manual and an automatic. Handling was nice and the brakes as well, but there's no way you will convince me that it was fast, the thing couldn't get out of it's own way...downhill.

Like I said, just one opinion.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Wow, thanks a lot for all of this great info! I'm leaning towards the 335xi because thats what I originally wanted until I spoke to that mechanic, then i started questioning it. I think it would bug me that i didnt get it, even if I dont use it, id like to have it. My only concern was reliability on these as I've never owned one. I live in Manchester, NH. My only other decision now is if I want a coupe or the sedan. I have to decide soon because there's only a few in my area in the colors that i want. I like the look of the coupe better but i'm also coming from a full size crew cab truck and have never owned a 2 door car! Yikes! I dont have more than one person with me most times anyway.
There's more of a difference between the E90 and the E92 than just the number of doors! You sound young in which case you don't have to worry about the old folks climbing into the back seat. Plus, as you said, how often do you have more than 2 people in the car?
The coupe has more sporty stuff, standard, than does the sedan.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edbert View Post
You know what they say about opinions right?

I drove a 2011 328i in 2-door and 4-door configurations and with a manual and an automatic. Handling was nice and the brakes as well, but there's no way you will convince me that it was fast, the thing couldn't get out of it's own way...downhill.

Like I said, just one opinion.
The 328i is as fast or faster than many of the icons of the Muscle car era and many iconic exotics sucn as Lamborghinis of 20 0r 30 years ago. The speed limit and the speed of traffic has not increased since those cars were being made,

If you think a 328 can't get out of its own way try merging onto an Interstate in a 1962 VW Beetle.

http://www.zeroto60times.com/BMW-Bim...mph-Times.html

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project

Last edited by captainaudio; 03-21-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:05 PM

Thanks DSX. I didnt realize the coupe had more sportier options standard than the sedan. Thats very informative. I've been leaning towards the 2 door and there's a nice black one locally that I just found yesterday. I like the look of the car a lot. Tomorrow i'm going to go test drive both the coupe and the sedan, ive driven the sedan but not the coupe and back to back should give me the best comparison. From the research I did there's no comparison to the BMW for overall performance. I'm going to have this car as my everyday vehicle and get a less expensive truck for the heavy snow winter days. How is the xdrive on these? Many thanks.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
The 328i is as fast or faster than many of the icons of the Muscle car era.

http://www.zeroto60times.com/BMW-Bim...mph-Times.html
It is true but those are antique cars on leaf springs with F70-14 bias ply tires. An Accord or Camry would compare favorably to that era as well.

There are several modern cars that would smoke the 328 in a drag race (only performance I'm knocking is acceleration) and cost almost half as much. I went to the dealer a couple of weeks ago with the intent to buy one, just couldn't fork over $40K for a car that had to fear Neons and Civics.

I'm just used to driving a car with more acceleration than they have and couldn't spend that much money on a slower car than the 6-year old $24K Mustang I traded in. This 335 would be a close 2nd in a drag and eat it up in the twisties. So to the OP I'd say spend more pennies on more ponies, over time you won't regret it; regarding reliability...the warranty is identical.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:39 PM
Not a real doctor.

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Coupe
I recommend the E92 335i MT. If you'll have a different winter vehicle on bad snow days, I think you can skip the AWD and get a lighter, more reliable ride (less complicated drive train) for less money.

I love my 328i coupe which is plenty quick (0-60 in 6.1), but don't choose the 328 because of reliability worries... the 335 is fine. Have fun. Life is short.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

'09 328i Coupe: MT, Monaco Blue, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, CA, Logic7, HD Radio, IPod
Ordered: 14Jan09; Delivered: 24Feb09 from Stratham, NH BMW
Old 03-22-2011, 02:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
I think the biggest issue with the 328 is off the line steptronic acceleration in normal drive mode. In DS mode it responds a lot quicker eliminating the lag in D. Once your at speed and you mash the peddle to pass or accelerate at an on ramp the car pulls very strong. I only have 900 miles on mine so far, so I am just starting to push it periodically. If your main concern is pure speed off the line then buy a Camaro or Mustang GT because they will smoke a non M series 335 off the line. The 335 will smoke both of them in the handling department and just pure refinement. You also may want to get a manual for that extra kick.

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,
Old 03-22-2011, 05:47 AM

Mein Auto: '11 335i xDrive
Quote:
who's a bmw mechanic and says stay away from the 335xi's because they have a ton of problems consistently.

If you are going to go Mercedes, you need to go with a 550. The 300/350 is underpowered. 550's are not available in C, you need to go E, S etc. I wouldn't go that route.

Infiniti's AWD is not a very good AWD. I pushed the demo car to the limits on a very rainy day, and I had slippage (not the hydroplaning kind). I examined the tires and they were practically new. I was not impressed.

I have a '11 335i xDrive AT. It is a fantastic car! It's fast, it is very agile, corners perfectly etc. xDrive is necessary if you live in the North or if you get lots of snow, rain, ice etc. The system delivers 50F/50R distribution compared to 4Matic 45/55 and Quattro 40/60. In a snowstorm, activate DTC and you can maintain your cruising speed of 150km/h without problems. (you still need a great set of winters!)
If you don't get stuck in traffic, I would opt for the MT instead of the AT. Your human hand shifts will be faster then the 6 spd ZF. So far no issues whatsoever. Car runs smoooooth!

The Audi S4 is a great alternative choice. Does pretty much the same thing the 335 does, except the badge has 4 Rings instead of a Roundel.

Unless you're getting an incredible deal on the 328i xDrive, one that makes a Honda look bad, I wouldn't go that route. The 328 with AT is slow. The 328 MT is much faster, but not fast like a 335.

Good Luck in your choice
Old 03-22-2011, 08:01 AM

Mein Auto: '08 335xi (E90)
I have little experience in other comparable cars but the 335xi of mine is clearly the best car of any that I've ever owned.
Coupe owners can speak to the rear seat access, I love the ability to swing a door for access than to squeeze behind the seat no matter how nimble. My dog crate can fit through the back door as well & ride comfortably in the rear seat. No matter, get the rear folding seats for storage/hauling options.

Service history under warranty that I recall:

Minor x-drive oil leak, o-ring replacement @ 2,000 miles
Long crank, check engine light, recall programing @ 21,000 miles
Headlight washer leak replace nozzle & line @ 22,000 miles
High pressure fuel pump recall @ 24,000 miles
4 out of 6 fuel injectors replaced under recall @ 26,000 miles

Occasional low battery messages, band-aid use of trickle charger as a solution @ 17,000 miles & 24,600 miles.

Good luck in your choice. You really can't go wrong with either.
At port: March 19, 2008
Shipped on Graceful Leader: March 21, 2008
Arrived Port Hueneme: April 11, 2008
At dealer's: April 19, 2008
Delivered: April 21, 2008
Old 03-22-2011, 09:16 AM

Mein Auto: 135i
Have you driven either car yet?

I had a 2006 330i, which I thought had good power. About a month I was shopping for a 328xi for my wife and the dealer had a 135i there. I thought, aww WTH, I'll take it for a spin. Well, now I own it. The power difference between the 28 and the 35 is amazing. Not just peak power, but total power under the curve. I have owned 3 other turbo cars and this car's turbo is almost undetectable, minimal lag, if any, smooth and powerful.
I did get the 328xi for my wife and I was absolutely amazed at the performance in the snow. We both had Subaru's before, and the x-Drive smokes them in inclement weather, even with the factory sport tires, which I believe are considered all seasons on the x-Drive.