Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Ask-A-Dealer

Ask-A-Dealer
Talk to our team of BMW Client Advisors. Get all of your buying/financing/leasing questions answered here!

Old 03-23-2011, 10:18 AM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Smartphone integration?

I've been playing around with the configure on the BMWusa website.
For the 3-series smartphone integration is no longer listed as on option. Is this no longer available? now a standard feature? bundled with bluetooth?
Advertisement
Old 03-23-2011, 10:56 AM
535i M-Sport ED May 2011

Mein Auto: '11 M-Spt 535i & '04 SLK
Bundled with BMW Apps option now.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:09 AM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Angry

Fail! Why does BMW have to continuously bully its customers into buying crap like this? I couldn't care less about bmw apps. Just encourages more idiots to fiddle with their phones when they are driving. I know its only an extra $100 but still. First it was bundling nav with bluetooth and ipod/usb then adding bmwassist and now this. Since you have to buy all of this together anyway just make it a freaking package and be done with it.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ismagic# View Post
Fail! Why does BMW have to continuously bully its customers into buying crap like this? I couldn't care less about bmw apps. Just encourages more idiots to fiddle with their phones when they are driving. I know its only an extra $100 but still. First it was bundling nav with bluetooth and ipod/usb then adding bmwassist and now this. Since you have to buy all of this together anyway just make it a freaking package and be done with it.
Agreed.

On my F10, in order to get the Premium Sound System, one must get the Premium 2 package which includes a bunch of things I do not want/would rather allocate the funds to other, more desirable options than Satellite Radio (yuck at a $500+ stand alone option on other BMWs) and rear sunshades.

2008 535xi 6-sp - Blk Sph, Blk Dkta,---2011 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum----2014 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum Hex
Bamboo | Prem | Cold | Sprt Pkg | Nav -Prem | Prem 2 | Cold | Sport | SAT ---- Cold | DA & DA+ | LED | M-Sprt | SAT | Multi
iPod/USB | Sat | Fld Dwn Seats --- ----Fld Dwn Seats | Side/Top Cameras -- ---HK Audio
Htd Rear Seats | PDC | 18" | Logic7 -- ---
(Good riddance!)
Old 03-23-2011, 12:26 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

I know its OT but it also burns me that you have to drop $475 for a split folding rear seat, a feature that is standard on every other freaking car known to man.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E93 M3
Quote:
Agree on the package roulette, disagree on the value of enhanced phone/car integration.

Options like BMW Apps will actually move the display and input to the Nav and iDrive device, which will keep users from trying to stare at a small screen and press tiny buttons. Although it may cause more use of future phone apps in the car, the car can offer a better display device and also uses can use the superior UI of the phone than the car makers crippled version (iPod).
Old 03-24-2011, 11:24 AM
HerrDoktorProfessor

can you imagine someone trying to compose a text message, twitter/facebook post using the idrive input whilst driving?
Old 03-24-2011, 01:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E93 M3
Quote:
can you imagine someone trying to compose a text message, twitter/facebook post using the idrive input whilst driving?
That is not what 6NR is for nor provides. The Facebook and Twitter messages sent are pre-canned responses. There is no actual composing while driving being offered.

But, I would rather someone use the Nav screen and iDrive unit to compose and send rather then having to look down at a 3 inch screen and type on tiny soft keys all while looking in their lap which is what happens today.