Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 03-24-2011, 01:31 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 bmw 740 il
98 740iL - Keeps over heating

Hey i own a 98 740 il the car has been having some problems first thing i did was have a new thermostat placed in it and after that when the car idle it started to puff white smoke need some help with that as well but i want to address the over heating issue im having, well my lil nephew wanted to be helpful and put water in my radiator but he did not put the cap back closed my hood me not knowing he was being helpful i drove to work and on my way bck it started over heating so i parked it, it has bee seating for about 7 months now and i am now getting a chance to get to it but its over heating soon as the eng. revs up and starts to heat up can someone please help me....
Advertisement
Old 03-24-2011, 03:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 740iL
Does the white smoke smell sweet? If it does, it could mean that the head gasket is leaking coolant into the combustion chamber, which can be caused by a bad overheat.

If the coolant guage goes straight to the red zone when you start the car, either you have air in the system, or the coolant guage or coolant sensor are broken.

Did you replace the thermostat because of an overheat, or did the car start overheating after you changed the thermostat?
Old 03-24-2011, 03:29 PM

Question

i replaced when i took it to the shop and had it on the diagnostic the area kept coming up saying it needed to be replaced, now i have gotten it started the heat temp gauge is now showing as it is cold and it has a really bad tapping sound but before the car setup i had an oil change completed as well. i'm really lost on what to do
Old 03-24-2011, 03:55 PM

Mein Auto: 97 740iL
I don't know if the overheat happened before or after the thermostat was replaced, but first try bleeding the air out of the cooling system using the bleeding procedure posted here: www.E38.org
Old 03-24-2011, 07:19 PM

Mein Auto: '99 740IL, K75RT
After you are done with the bleeding as stated by Balance, and still have problems, check coolant for color (brownsih?), look for milky oil. A compression test would be the best thing that I would recommend in a overheating situation. This will tell for sure if the headgasket is blown or not.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:55 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 740i
When I had my E31, I had this issue. If the car was constantly moving it maintained its temperature but would overheat and boil over at stoplights. Turned out the fan clutch was past its' useful life. It felt fine when I spun it by hand but apparently the internals were not functioning properly. Changed it out and she was a different car.
Wouldn't ever recommend running with the rad cap unlocked. Without the right pressure in the system nothing will circulate properly. A BMW bud once told me when trying to bleed the air out it's best to try getting the front end of the car on a steep incline so the radiator overflow tank is clearly the highest point. Seemed to work for me, either way the air will work its way out, will be stubborn though.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E38
I had exactly same problem, when i was driving my coolant temp when up, catch here is when u idle coolant goes up but when u drive it cools down, so anyways i ordered new thermostat and new radiator hose, once u change ur thermostat and hose u have to do one other thing, even after u change these stuff, radiator doesnt get antifreeze to thermostat from its hose so pull the radiator hose out that goes to thermostat and pour antifreeze in der till it tops off this way u putting the whole system back on track after that car will be fine again
Old 03-28-2011, 05:27 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Dunno if this the VERY best of E39 Links information is applicable to the E38 but it should be almost totally the same when it comes to dire problems such as these...

From a quick /white smoke(F3) in the VERY best of E39 Links:
- Diagnosis of white smoke out of your exhaust pipe (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8)

From a quick /overheating(F3) in the VERY best of E39 Links:
- What to look for when your KTMP (1) or coolant temperature gauge indicates overheating (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) & what to look for in a perfectly normal E39 cooling system (1) & a picture of every failed part in the cooling system (1) & various techniques to properly bleed (1) (2) (3) & refill (1) & what coolant to use (1) & what parts to replace (1) & what special tools to make or buy (1) & how to tell how old your cooling system is (1) (2) & how to test the cooling system auxiliary electrical fan (1) (2) & the infamous fuse 75 (1) & the aux fan relay (1) & how to diagnose lack of HVAC/IHKA heater core heat with cooling system (auxiliary pump) at idle (1) & a Behr radiator and Behr/Heat expansion tank autopsy (1) (2) & request for another Behr surge tank autopsy (1) & why new made-in-China Behr/Hella expansion tanks are DOA (1) & E39 Fan shroud removal DIY (Besian) (M54) & some of the better cooling system DIYs (cn90 1997-1998 M54TU) (cn90 V8) (aioros '99-03 M54) (Ågent99 '01 530i) (pelican 3-series) (bluebee M54B25) & tricks to replace the fan clutch nut (1) & lower-hose thermoswitch o-ring (1) & to non-destructively remove the heater hoses (1) or radiator nipple (1) or expansion tank nipple (1) (2) or Oetiker clamp (1) or misplaced thermostat wiring loom (1) or broken bleeder screw (1) & modifying the cooling system (pressure cap) (zero psi fluids) or Zionsville (BlackBMWs) (William) (ohmess) aluminum radiators & what happens if you drive one mile too far with an overheated BMW cooling system (1).

Hope these links help.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:34 PM

i would like to thank everyone for there post i haven't been on here in awhile cause i cldn't find my dang password or username been dealing with the car and other things but im trying all the things, when i called someone over the ph they told me the water pump so yea im falling all the diy on here yall knw what your talkin about any one knw where i can get parts cheap or a dissent price
Old 05-25-2011, 06:05 PM

Exclamation Is there any machines that do house calls

Hey my beamer is stuck at my crib i don't have money to tow it to a shop and i really like someone to come to me and help me get my car running... I know nothing in the world is free but im not asking for you to fix it to just help me diagnose the man issue and can coach me threw fixing it
Old 07-29-2011, 08:16 PM

Finally working but i am still getting big clouds of white smoke and a lot of condensation.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:47 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perse_us28 View Post
Hey my beamer is stuck at my crib
I let the second grade sentence structure go ... giving you a break assuming you might not have even finished high school ... but ... you really need to learn the difference between a beamer and a bimmer if you're going to ask questions here and you want to be taken seriously.

- What is the difference between a bimmer and a beemer and, um, yeah, a beamer (1)

Last edited by bluebee; 07-30-2011 at 11:31 AM.