Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 M Coupe
2001 M Coupe - Gurgling after ignition turned off?

Hi everyone,

I have had this car for about 4 years, hast 37,500 miles, and this has never happened before. I drive it once a week at least, but I have been gone for the last 3 months. My girlfriend started it up every week or so, and drove it a bit.

Two days ago, it was extremely humid and warm. I drove it for about 15 minutes, and when I came home, I could hear liquid hissing on something hot, which I have never heard before (I had the AC on, as I usually do in Houston, and I never actually noticed the condensation hissing when I parked it). Yesterday, I ran a few errands, getting out on the highway, basically driving it a bit to warm everything up and get it going. When I got back, there was no hissing, but I could here a gurgling (like someone, er, using a "glass smoking apparatus" in what sounded like the cooling system (what else could it be?). it settled after about 30 seconds. Again, this is not something I have ever heard before. I had the AC on, and looked under the car after I parked, and saw only a drop or two of H2O (most likely from the AC condensation).

Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 03-25-2011, 06:59 AM
Oldman M Coupe

Mein Auto: 2000 M Coupe
The sound you hear is the AC refridgerant equilizing pressure. And the hissing is the AC draining water on exhaust.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 M Coupe
That is what I figured, it's just that I have never heard it before (either the hissing of the AC condensation hitting something hot, or the gurgling). So it isn't anything to worry about?
Old 03-25-2011, 04:41 PM
Oldman M Coupe

Mein Auto: 2000 M Coupe
Your car is fine.