Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 08-16-2014, 07:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 540i sport
Talking engine swap - put a 98 540i engine in a 2000 540 i

Hello all !

I have a 2000 540i, she tragically threw a rod at idle right through the oil pan, so the hunt begins for an engine, we just spent a lot on new parts for her, and just bought it, so we are trying to keep the cost down, I thank you all for all the wonderful information posted on this site, I know the 98 has no vanos and a few less sensors than the 2000 but the engine costs considerably less.
Can we do it?
Will it fit?
Will everything connect the same?
Will any modifications need to be made to make it work?

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks so much. !!
Ads by Google
Old 08-16-2014, 07:59 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevercom View Post
threw a rod at idle right through the oil pan
It's rare, very rare, for that to happen, you know.

Anyway, these threads may help ...
- What are the major factors in deciding whether to rebuild the engine, replace the engine, or sell the car (1) & what engine swaps are most recommended (1) (2) (3) & where to obtain a new or rebuilt head (1) replacement short block or long block (1) (2) & how to lift & remove the engine (1)
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 08-16-2014, 09:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 540/6, S60 Volvo, Tribeca
It would cost you more to put a 98 engine in a 2000 than it would cost you to get the correct engine.
There are many other parts that would need to be changed.
There is a guy that parts out BMW's in my town that has an 01 engine.
If your interested in it send me a PM and I'll get the two of you connected.
Looks like your new here so maybe you can't do PM's until you have more posts.
I'll try to send you one.

2000 540/6 Slightly tweeked...everywhere
Old 08-16-2014, 11:12 PM

Mein Auto: E39 530i
I think you would be signing up for a world of pain trying to get a non-vanos engine to play nice with the rest of the car.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:09 AM

Mein Auto: 7/98 NonVanos 540iA
You will need 5.2 DME with the harness and all of the coding. Its not worth it.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:49 AM

Mein Auto: 540/6, S60 Volvo, Tribeca
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTiger View Post
You will need 5.2 DME with the harness and all of the coding. Its not worth it.
^___as well as the LCM, GM, instrument cluster, the EWS, keys, ignition lock, and your need to convert the car from DBW to a cable driven throttle. Cruise control would need to be covered too.
Oh, and convert the DSC to ASC, old style relay control aux fan, and probably a few more minor things I haven't thought about.

If you bought a complete 98 540 car you'd have all the parts you needed. Not sure if your state does inspections, if they do the VIN in the DME won't match the one on the car and on your registration.

2000 540/6 Slightly tweeked...everywhere
Old 08-17-2014, 10:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 540i sport
Bluebee... I've been reading quite a few forums on the rod, apparently the intake likes to suck in water and cause this to happen read about it happening to a few other people as well, my fiance took it through the car wash shut it down to hand dry it and fill the tire, started it up and it threw the rod, he's always been very calm with the car it was his baby and he didn't like to accidentally spin the tires or anything like that he was very gentle with it, can't figure any other reason it would do that...

We bought the car in November, did a coil pack, brake booster, ecu, calipers, rotors, plugs and wires coming out to a grand total of 6500 for the car, after all repairs were finished we got to drive it for about a month and a half, we don't want to junk her, the engine installation is being done for 1300 just need the engine

We were just exploring a crazy idea of a 98 engine, I appreciate everyone's input and advice, a cheaper engine just means we get the car back on the road before winter the only thing I don't love about our car is the price on the parts, she sure makes it hard to keep her happy
Old 08-17-2014, 11:24 PM
Code/Grease Monkey

Mein Auto: 325Ci 530i 750iL
Quote:
Bluebee... I've been reading quite a few forums on the rod, apparently the intake likes to suck in water and cause this to happen read about it happening to a few other people as well, my fiance took it through the car wash shut it down to hand dry it and fill the tire, started it up and it threw the rod, he's always been very calm with the car it was his baby and he didn't like to accidentally spin the tires or anything like that he was very gentle with it, can't figure any other reason it would do that...

We bought the car in November, did a coil pack, brake booster, ecu, calipers, rotors, plugs and wires coming out to a grand total of 6500 for the car, after all repairs were finished we got to drive it for about a month and a half, we don't want to junk her, the engine installation is being done for 1300 just need the engine

We were just exploring a crazy idea of a 98 engine, I appreciate everyone's input and advice, a cheaper engine just means we get the car back on the road before winter the only thing I don't love about our car is the price on the parts, she sure makes it hard to keep her happy
Go look on car-part.com. There are plenty of 528i motors on there for less than $2,500.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:13 AM

There's some good experiences posted in this thread today, for replacing a blown engine:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Major Decision - replace head or buy "new" engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
Get a low or mid mileage engine from car-part.com. The ones I just saw for a 2000 528i ranged from $2k to $2.5k. That's a lot less than $5,000!

I got a 3.0L motor with 45k miles on it off there for my E46 last year and am very happy I did.
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Bluebee... I've been reading quite a few forums on the rod, apparently the intake likes to suck in water and cause this to happen
The threads I referenced mentioned "hydrolock", which is, I think, what you're talking about.

If I run an e39-only title-only search for "hydrolock", I get only a couple of threads, to wit:
Of course, not everyone is going to put hydrolock in the title, so I searched for "hydrolock" in the body and almost 250 threads came up, including:
I didn't read those threads, but the titles suggest similar issues, so, we should probably start a properly titled thread with decent keywords such as "hydrolock" and "threw a rod" or whatever, so that others can start off with all the information that is handy in a single one-stop-shopping thread.

EDIT:
To help others, in the future, I opened a new thread, intended to become canonical, to help people BEFORE they hydrolock their engines:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > What advice can prevent hydrolock or help those whose hydrolocked engine threw a rod?

To help others find this, in the future, I added this keyword-rich sentence to the bestlinks:
- What advice can prevent hydrolock or help those whose hydrolocked engine bent a connecting rod due to water sucked in the intake (1)

Others, who have practical experience in this matter, are requested to add value to that thread.

Last edited by bluebee; 08-18-2014 at 04:58 AM.