BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Aux Input Problem

4K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Terry Kennedy 
#1 ·
I had my aux input installed a little over a month ago by the dealer while I was getting work done on my car. I never tested the aux input because I didn't have a MP3 player at the time and I never thought that it wouldn't work. Now I find out that when I scroll through the mode functions, I don't have access to the AUX IN function. I just have RADIO and CD. Any thoughts to why this may not work? Did the dealer mess up the install? When I go through the sound options, I get BASS, TREBLE, FADE, etc... and a TONE LIN that says OK near it. Any suggestions. I'll probably bring it back to the dealer to get fixed but I hate the hassle.

#2 ·
Johnny_Hotcakes said:
I had my aux input installed a little over a month ago by the dealer while I was getting work done on my car. I never tested the aux input because I didn't have a MP3 player at the time and I never thought that it wouldn't work. Now I find out that when I scroll through the mode functions, I don't have access to the AUX IN function. I just have RADIO and CD. Any thoughts to why this may not work? Did the dealer mess up the install? When I go through the sound options, I get BASS, TREBLE, FADE, etc... and a TONE LIN that says OK near it. Any suggestions. I'll probably bring it back to the dealer to get fixed but I hate the hassle.
Have you plugged in the MP3 player while trying? I thought I read somewhere that if there's no input, it skips the option. But I could be wrong, but since no one else has answered . . .

#4 ·
Some people who did a DIY install had to reverse the wiring to get their cable to work. Since your dealer installed it, the repair should be covered under warrantee.

#5 ·
A properly installed aux cable will allow you to switch tp the AUX mode without having to plug something into it. So, either the dealer didn't install the cable properly, or like ObD said, you need to have the wires in the cable rearranged. Can you tell us what production month/year you have? If I recall correctly, bimmers built somewhere between 9/02 and 11/02 need to have the aux wires rearranged.

Getting to the head unit involves removing the 2 pieces of trim above the glovebox and the head unit. Then there are only 2 screws holding the head unit in place. So, if you're confortable doing that, you can check it out yourself.

#6 ·
My car is a 11/03 production 330CI. I rather have the dealer take care of the problem, I don't think it would be that long of a fix. And plus if it's something totally different that is causing the problem I rather let them find it out without the dealer saying it's my fault. When I first picked up my car the cd player didn't work and they replaced the head unit. Maybe it has something to do with that, I doubt it since it's a new head unit.

Off to schedule a service appointment.

#7 ·
Johnny_Hotcakes said:
My car is a 11/03 production 330CI. I rather have the dealer take care of the problem, I don't think it would be that long of a fix. And plus if it's something totally different that is causing the problem I rather let them find it out without the dealer saying it's my fault. When I first picked up my car the cd player didn't work and they replaced the head unit. Maybe it has something to do with that, I doubt it since it's a new head unit.

Off to schedule a service appointment.
I think that's the best decision. :thumbup:

#8 ·
If I remember correctly, you will need to swap pins 2 and 3 on either the connector that comes out of the head unit or the AUX. cable, it doesn't matter. Since you're going to the dealer, just mention this to them if they can't find anything wrong... I did this fix myself of my car, pretty easy even without proper tools and with my pathetic mechanical aptitude :)

#9 ·
Johnny_Hotcakes said:
Johnny, did you ever get to solve this problem? Did you try swapping pins 2 and 3?

I am having the same problem now and I was wondering... :tsk:

Thanks in advance.

#12 ·
Aux Audio Input

I too had the same problem with my install (the input wasn't secured properly). However, I use the input to connect a Sirius Satellite Plug n Play radio, and get engine noise. Anyone have an engine noise problem with the aux. input? It is not that noticeable when music is playing, but is very noticeable on talk radio. Any help would be appreciated.

#13 ·
Mike_T.O. said:
I too had the same problem with my install (the input wasn't secured properly). However, I use the input to connect a Sirius Satellite Plug n Play radio, and get engine noise. Anyone have an engine noise problem with the aux. input? It is not that noticeable when music is playing, but is very noticeable on talk radio. Any help would be appreciated.
I get random noise with nothing connected, no noise with a stand-alone device connected, and noise when using a cigarette-lighter-powered device (in my case, a notebook PC via a 110V inverter, so that may not be typical).

Try using a pair of isolation transformers (see this page). If you don't know how to wire them up, post a reply here and I'll post a diagram when I get home.

#14 ·
Isolation Transformer

Thanks for the response. Much appreciated. Seeing as I am virtually useless with wiring, I will either take the car to BMW or the place that installed the Plug n Play satellite. Would you think this is a satellite issue or an issue with the BMW installed aux. input?

#15 ·
Mike_T.O. said:
Thanks for the response. Much appreciated. Seeing as I am virtually useless with wiring, I will either take the car to BMW or the place that installed the Plug n Play satellite. Would you think this is a satellite issue or an issue with the BMW installed aux. input?
If it is like the problem I had, it has to do with a ground differential between the car's ground and the audio output ground of the notebook PC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.