Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:19 PM
Rocking since 1986!

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW Z3 1.9 Roadster
Z3 acceleration problem...

How's it going guys? This is my first thread so take it easy on me! I've done a few things to my car...swapped the steering wheel, have changed fog/head/tail lights, installed cold air intake and have done a few other things to it. I thought i was a genius! But the day i found this forum, I realized I really didn't know much. I have a 98 Z3 1.9 roadster and got a big time acceleration problem. Without even having to floor it, my car starts.."jumping". This is through any RPM, at any time. Weather doesn't seem to make a difference. I've replaced the knock/ping sensor. According to my mechanic that was the problem, which was causing my car to use extra fuel. I fill my gas tank about 4 or 5 times a month and i really don't use my car much besides heading to work and gym. Any ideas? O2's maybe? MAF seems fine, I've also replaced the air temperature sensor. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Ads by Google
Old 03-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to cager169
Mein Auto: 2000 bmw Z3, 1999 bmw 528
First get it scanned so that you know what the codes on the car are. it could be a fuel related issue(fuel pump, dirty filter) a vacuum leak can also make your car run poorly, check spark plugs. Faulty ignition coil can cause something like this too but more than likely a vacuum leak or weak pump. Rarely can it be bad grounds or a fusible link but not bad to check GL.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:26 PM
Rocking since 1986!

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW Z3 1.9 Roadster
Thanks for your reply! I had my car checked with my mechanic and he ran my car on the computer. He did come up with some codes saying it was the knock sensor and the air temperature sensor, had them both replaced and still nothing today a Porsche and audi were wanting to mess around but it'd be really embarrassing to even step on it. I'll post again once problem gets fixed.