Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 08-31-2011, 02:49 PM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Mein Auto: 98 540i M62 3.15
Just a note about Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires. My sister put 215/45/17s on her Mazda (bought at Costco), within the past 8 months, she has replaced 4 of the tires (1 tire twice) due to a bubble in the sidewall.

While these tires are nice, they are rather noisy and have stiff sidewalls compared to my Continental DWS.

While bubbles can be attributed to potholes in NYC, I can't recommend them as 4x in one year is unacceptable to me and Costco only pro-rated 1/2 for each tire each time. In essence she paid 1 1/2 times for 2 sets of Michelins!!!

For those interested in Max Performance Summer times, Tirerack is clearing out Goodyear F1 in our size 235/45/17

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
Old 08-31-2011, 03:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsgene View Post
Just a note about Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires. My sister put 215/45/17s on her Mazda (bought at Costco), within the past 8 months, she has replaced 4 of the tires (1 tire twice) due to a bubble in the sidewall.

While these tires are nice, they are rather noisy and have stiff sidewalls compared to my Continental DWS.

While bubbles can be attributed to potholes in NYC, I can't recommend them as 4x in one year is unacceptable to me and Costco only pro-rated 1/2 for each tire each time. In essence she paid 1 1/2 times for 2 sets of Michelins!!!

For those interested in Max Performance Summer times, Tirerack is clearing out Goodyear F1 in our size 235/45/17

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
Must have been a bad set.
My Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires (235-45-17 stock size) in not loud IMO.
These tires made my car feel like it did when new.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:24 PM

Mein Auto: '02 540i
i have worked for Discount Tire for 8 years and got to go to the ride and drives out in Arizona and Texas. These are events where they test all of the new tires agains the industry leaders. The Pilot Sport A/S always seem to outperform everything. I love them and have tried literally over 20 different tire brand/models and i am always back to my Pilot sports. I will say that the talk bout the Continentals is not surprising, Conti is usually a pretty good contender. Just my thoughts since i freaking eat, sleep, breathe tires.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JinxyJ08 View Post
i have worked for Discount Tire for 8 years and got to go to the ride and drives out in Arizona and Texas. These are events where they test all of the new tires agains the industry leaders. The Pilot Sport A/S always seem to outperform everything. I love them and have tried literally over 20 different tire brand/models and i am always back to my Pilot sports. I will say that the talk bout the Continentals is not surprising, Conti is usually a pretty good contender. Just my thoughts since i freaking eat, sleep, breathe tires.
+1.
I agree, the A/S Plus' out-perform my Bridgestone Re-760 summer tires.
Way more grip and confidence.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:39 PM
BMW ****ie

Mein Auto: 530i Sport Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary thill View Post
Any recommendations for 2002 530i tires. Do many highway miles
Continental Extreme Contact DWS (Dry Wet Snow traction). Best bang for the buck. Rated as extremely quiet with excellent traction. I have a 2002 530i with Sport and Premium packages. My rims are 17" so my tires cost $128 each. Discount Tire carries them for the same price as Tirerack does so I purchased them at Discount Tire and had them installed there. Made a huge difference in road noise and comfort. I'll post a link for you in a bit as I just went through the same research a month ago or so before buying them.

Here is my followup to original post below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by seemyad View Post
I drive a 2002 BMW Sports Package. In an earlier post entitled "Buying New Tires..." a lot of good options were flushed out.

I recently went to Discount Tire and purchased the Continental ExtremeContact DWS (Dry, Wet, Snow traction) and I LOVE THEM!!!

The Sports Package came with 17" rims which appear to have added 35% to the cost of tires. They rank up there with the $1100 tires yet only cost $645 installed. They are quiet, comfortable, and cling to the road in wet conditions. Have not driven them in snow yet however Tirerack tests rank them well above the more pricier contenders in the "Artic Circle" tests linked from the "test results" page below. They fall a few tenths of a point below the $1100 dollar contenders in steering response yet tests above the rest in other categories.

See surveys on tirerack here (click on Surveys) http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....emeContact+DWS .
Tire test results are here http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...emeContact+DWS .

Thanks to the members in this forum I now have a sporty vehicle that is comfortable and safe to drive while saving approx $400.
Although they are rated as "Ultra High Performance", I am not a racer. So for me, comfort, quiet, and safety (good traction in inclimate weather) are most important vs taking hairpin turns at 50MPH.

My original post "Buying new tires" received a lot of good input/options (below)
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...280&highlight=

I hope this helps.

Last edited by seemyad; 08-31-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:19 PM

Mein Auto: '03 330i-6MT
I've had the DWS for a month or two and have been happy with them so far.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW E39
Continental Extreme Contact. Have them on my 2001. Freaking awesome...feels like ur gliding. A bit pricy but well worth it. Ive gone 9000 miles and all is well. Im hard on them too. U wont be let down!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Bimmer
Old 09-01-2011, 09:44 AM
BMW ****ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshane39 View Post
Continental Extreme Contact. Have them on my 2001. Freaking awesome...feels like ur gliding. A bit pricy but well worth it. Ive gone 9000 miles and all is well. Im hard on them too. U wont be let down!
Gliding is the best description I've heard for the feel . I couldn't find the words for it. It definitely feels like I am gliding. I also have a high level of confidence when driving (dry or wet) in that I can perform any manuver as the vehicles in front of me at or above their current rate of speed.

These are definately great tires. Sears sells the same tires for $193 each. At $128 I don't see a down side with the exception of people who race for a living/hobby or have money to burn and want that additional 3% dry traction that an additional $120 per tire may buy you. I am not knocking that decision as that is what freedom is all about.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:26 PM
Constantly Learning

Mein Auto: 1999 M3, 2002 M5
I'm in the market since the M3 needs new rubber. Just wrote a post about my finalists: http://cparente.wordpress.com/2011/0...ormance-tires/
Fern Green 99 M3, Conforti Shark Software, Conforti CAI, Dinan Exhaust. Stamped LTWs, 235x40 square, OEM Hella heads, ///M Pedal Kit, Clear Corners, OEM Rear Spoiler, CD43 stereo. MRegistry listing here.
Le Mans 2002 M5, Black/Titanium, Rogue SSK, Dinan exhaust, PSS9 coilovers, Euro rotors, iPod integration. MRegistry listing here.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:48 PM

Mein Auto: GT3RS 530I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgy36-39 View Post
I'm in the market since the M3 needs new rubber. Just wrote a post about my finalists: http://cparente.wordpress.com/2011/0...ormance-tires/
You might want to look at the Michelin Supersport tires. I just put them on my 911 they are suppose to handle better than the Pilot Sports and have much longer tread life and are much cheaper. Not sure if the size would be offered for your cars.

Last edited by sjgreco; 09-01-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgy36-39 View Post
What size tire are you looking for?
225-40-18 and 255-35-18's?
The Continental DW summer tire and the Dunlop Sport Maxx TT will be better than the other two tires you listed.
The Dunlop Sport Maxx GT's are the newest version above the TT's, however cost almost as much as a Michelin Super Sport, so, at that price, I would rather get THE best, which are the Michelins.
I would also consider the Bridgestone Re-760, although it does not have the stickiness of the Michelins, the Re-760's are a pretty stout tires, good stiff sidewalls, and have decent tread life IMO.

Last edited by Jason5driver; 09-01-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:34 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
It's almost impossible to determine the canonical tire-recommendation thread, so, given that goal, all I can do is cross reference to the best of other tire-recommendation threads.

Here's one today that seems good enough to reference:
- E39 (1997 - 2003) > Best E39 tires?
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 02-19-2012, 04:52 AM
Boosted

Mein Auto: 03 ///M5
Nitto

RK Supercharged @ 501wheel horsepower
Supersprint Headers,
Evolve Alpha N Tune,
CNS lightweight dm flywheel/Spec clutch,
ST coilovers,
Eibach Rear Sway bar/Beast Power Brackets,
Drilled slotted Rotors/Akebono Euro pads,
Magnaflow 14816 Mufflers

Old 02-19-2012, 09:56 AM
frei

Mein Auto: 2000 528i
I bought Khumo Platinums for my 528i. I really like them. Smooth, Quiet, handle well. Good price
Old 02-19-2012, 02:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 m3/2003 540/6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nny528i View Post
continental dws is a great tire.

+1
Old 02-20-2012, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: '99 528iT
How does the Continental DWS perform in snow/slush conditions? I've reviewed the tire rack data and video's, but would be interested in real world reports. How do they handle in the second winter season compaired with the first season.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing.
Benjamin Franklin

2001 530iA STEEL BLUE/Sand - Sport/Premium/Cold Package
1999 528iA JET BLACK/Black - Sport/Premium/Heated Seats
1999 528iT CASHMERE BEIGE/Sand - Sport/Premium Package - 5 speed
1982 Fiat 2000 Spider - BLUE METALLIC/Blue
Old 02-20-2012, 07:39 PM

Mein Auto: 540i6
g-force are great.. wonderful feel on anything but snow.. mine lasted 25k on my dsm with what i consider to be constant aggressive driving

even if you only get 10k out of them, they are amazing and i suggest you try them
Old 12-20-2013, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 330Ci 5M sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHoang View Post
Did you try pumping up the DWS's tire pressure to 38-40 lbs to increase grip? I thought the DWS ompletely changed the way my car handled when I pumped them up to 40 psi. And the flat spot all but disappeared.
The DWS have such a high comfort and quiet quality to them that makes them so popular. I for one replaced a 10k mile set of 1/3rd worn Michelin sport a/s for the DWS. I found the road noise from the Michelin to be too much for a family car. If the car is just my personal car, I could live with it and crank up the tunes. But with a car full of passengers, having a conversation required speaking to be louder than the road noise, it was just a bit too much.
higher tire pressure actually = lower grip
F1 cars run 18-19 psi
drag racing cars run 7 psi
Old 12-20-2013, 03:26 PM

Mein Auto: Touring and others
Tire recommendations

Whatever you do, do not even consider putting Michelin Defenders on any BMW. A couple of months ago I replaced the Continental Contacts that still had tons of tread, but were too old to trust. Sadly I talked myself into buying the Defenders. I say sadly due to the noise, poor handling and harsh ride that they return. If you drive over a dime, you can tell if it is heads or tails, he handling feels very vague, almost like the tread has been oiled. They make
My Touring sound like a 4 wheel drive coming down the street. I'll probably never buy another Michelin product due to my dissatisfaction with these slabs. Never again....

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-20-2013, 04:11 PM
BMW ****ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickbuilder View Post
Whatever you do, do not even consider putting Michelin Defenders on any BMW. A couple of months ago I replaced the Continental Contacts that still had tons of tread, but were too old to trust. Sadly I talked myself into buying the Defenders. I say sadly due to the noise, poor handling and harsh ride that they return. If you drive over a dime, you can tell if it is heads or tails, he handling feels very vague, almost like the tread has been oiled. They make
My Touring sound like a 4 wheel drive coming down the street. I'll probably never buy another Michelin product due to my dissatisfaction with these slabs. Never again....

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I forgot which tire my car came with but the road noise was driving me insane! I have the Sports package with the stiffer suspension so the road noise traveled from the tires, through the suspension, into the cabin. Constantly sounded like I was driving on gravel.

Until something better comes out at this price I plan to stick with the Continentals for years to come.

Comfort and Confidence are a great combination for me.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:17 PM

Mein Auto: '01 540i 6sp '01 X5 4.4
very happy with my Hankook's
Old 12-20-2013, 05:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 - 540i M-Sport
Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

Bluebee I can't believe they didn't make your big list...!
Old 07-02-2014, 09:38 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounderasu View Post
I can't believe they didn't make your big list...!
This list is whatever folks recommend.
Me?
I buy by government numbers (which most of you don't value).

This thread has some up-to-date information about Michelin tires ...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 - Opinions Please
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRFast View Post
Hi. I need to replace the tires on my 2003 530i Sport and my mechanic recommended the Pilot Sport A/S 3. I want to stay away from dedicated summer tires. I currently have a staggered set of Pilot Sport tires mounted on 17" Style 66 wheels on the car. My other option is to use the original Contis on Style 42 wheels I have in the garage. These have less than 500 miles on them because I purchased the 66's and new tires two months after I picked up the car in late 2002. Any input is appreciated.

Regards...JL
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 08-23-2014, 08:17 AM
4th BMW

Mein Auto: 2002 540iT Sportwagon
Michlin pilot super sport 235 45r17

I have had a set of the above on for 17,500 mi. starting at 97,000 mi. all with like new suspension parts on a Sport Wagon. Didn't need a balance for 10K mi. Also did not rotate ft to back in that time. I should have rotated (non-stagered)ft to rear every 5k miles as these tires are just about done just on the edges. So, with tires that wear the edges out fast (like on BMWs) the stated mileage warranty really doesn't come into play for softer compounds. Warranties don't cover "edge" wear. I don't drive crazy, the suspension and tires just gripped the road like fly paper and the edges may last me 20K mi. That said these Mich Super Sports are the best tires I have had on any car. At new they are very quiet and bump absorbing for a high grip tire. Also, in the rain it was hard to break the rear end loose at anything less than throwing the car into a wet turn. In the dry, I never had the nerve to find the limit at any speed. It is like being on rails. Very quick reacting tire to steering input. I have not found another tire since 2005 that I have liked better and have never really gone over 20K miles on any set before the wear began making me want a new set. I will pull the trigger on another set of these soon.....and rotate every 4-5k miles as that is why I got 540iT with non staggered rims.