Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-26-2011, 05:28 PM

Mein Auto: Toyota
New 535ix with a dent and some scratches. Not happy!

We took delivery of our 535ix in December 2 days before X-mas. The car has 3000 miles on it since. Wife drives to and from work couple of days a week. Car runs great and we are very happy with it. I was even thinking about doing my reviews this week....

Yep! you guessed it...I noticed a dent next to the gas gage today while fueling up. Called the insurance company soon after and explained the situation and took the claim number down. After I got home, I washed the car and noticed more scratches on the front and rear door. It appears that someone scratched my car while backing out in a parking lot. How many idiot drivers are out there? I put the clear bra on to prevent from stones and debris, I tell the kids to be careful with the car more than I tell them to go to school. I park my car far away from the crowd as much as can to avoid idiot drivers and still my car is getting victimized. So mad today!!!

The dents and scratches are minor IMO but I still have to go though the dealer for repair and etc.

Not a happy camper right now...BTW, look for my review soon....

2011 | BMW 535Xi | Black Sapphire | Premium Pkg | Navigation |

Last edited by zgt88; 03-26-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 03-26-2011, 05:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: v8 tt
It is going to happen sooner or later.

Mine is 4 months old and I only recently hand wash my car (due to winter climate in Canada) and found one big scratch at the bottom of the door (almost 1/2 length of the door) and another one in the front bumper, I don't have a clue where they came from as i have been very careful just like you.

Oh well, took some touch-up paint and tried to repair whatever I can.

Last edited by bobblehead; 03-26-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i
I finally took delivery on 3/7 and had the car paint sealed and teflon/acrylic used. After a week, I hand-washed and waxed the car again. Did the windows, inside, etc. After all was done, I saw a little haze on the hood, from the wax. I wiped it and heard this HORRIBLE SOUND--SCRRRRRRAAAAATCHHH... There was either caked mud or cat litter on the microfiber rag I grabbed from the closet!!! I had three pack of new rags (now I have more) and grabbed one that apparently had been used by one of the kids!!! I almost cried

All ended well though, I took it to the dealer who then referred me to the body shop where they send their work and they were able to sand the scratch out and buff the clearcoat--like it never happened!!

Just had the windows tinted with Lumar 30% CTX today too!!! I LOVE this car!!!
Old 03-26-2011, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto: Toyota
Ouch! I can hear the scratch as I am there with you...dark color cars is not my first option to begin with even though they look nice but too much maintenance to keep them clean. I have always had light color cars silver, white, pearl etc. With this car, I have been buying microfiber rags like crazy. I used them to wash the car (not so much due to cold weather but will pick up soon ;-)) then use them on my other cars then wheels.

I am thinking about getting the windows tinted too but that is going to be after the car gets fixed first, I wish I can use touch paint for mine but I know it's not going to look right.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:25 AM

Mein Auto: X5 50i, M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgt88 View Post
Ouch! I can hear the scratch as I am there with you...dark color cars is not my first option to begin with even though they look nice but too much maintenance to keep them clean. I have always had light color cars silver, white, pearl etc. With this car, I have been buying microfiber rags like crazy. I used them to wash the car (not so much due to cold weather but will pick up soon ;-)) then use them on my other cars then wheels.

I am thinking about getting the windows tinted too but that is going to be after the car gets fixed first, I wish I can use touch paint for mine but I know it's not going to look right.
in the city it's all about the nicks and bruises on rear bumpers from parking lots and parking on the street. i would love to see a very good "how to" on how to sand down, fill in, and repair these annoying little nicks. usually i let my fingers do the walking, but i think this is a relatively simple job, and the BMW touch up + clear coat is only $30.

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Old 03-27-2011, 09:10 AM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
I feel your pain. Keeping a car nice is hard enough without jerks around who seem to want to damage other people's nice things.

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011

BMWCCA #350568
Old 03-27-2011, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
I've invested in one of these: http://www.autobarn.net/bumper-defender.html

While I'm not happy that it's necessary, I've realized I cannot beat 'em, so I had to join 'em.

2008 535xi 6-sp - Blk Sph, Blk Dkta,---2011 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum----2014 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum Hex
Bamboo | Prem | Cold | Sprt Pkg | Nav -Prem | Prem 2 | Cold | Sport | SAT ---- Cold | DA & DA+ | LED | M-Sprt | SAT | Multi
iPod/USB | Sat | Fld Dwn Seats --- ----Fld Dwn Seats | Side/Top Cameras -- ---HK Audio
Htd Rear Seats | PDC | 18" | Logic7 -- ---
(Good riddance!)
Old 03-27-2011, 09:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMarkA View Post
I've invested in one of these: http://www.autobarn.net/bumper-defender.html
Really? Seems like that would attract attention.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 528i
There are two basic choices for urban owners: 1. don't use the car. Just store it. 2. Don't look at it too closely -- especially, don't wash or detail it yourself. All the rest is frustration, disappointment and expense.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
There are two basic choices for urban owners: 1. don't use the car. Just store it. 2. Don't look at it too closely -- especially, don't wash or detail it yourself. All the rest is frustration, disappointment and expense.
no the counter measures work quite well, and they are very prevalent in the city. invariable, you will get a little scratch but things cant stay new forever

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Old 03-27-2011, 01:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i GT
Griot's microfiber towels...the best. I buy them although they're epensive, but lots less than a scratch. Thick and specific for the job. Wash separately from everything else and only keep in the garage for the two BMW's. Nothing else touches the exterior's but the best I can buy. After all, that's what we bought in the BMW's, the best of everything! Two 535iGT's, 2010 and 2011. Love 'em!
Old 03-27-2011, 01:23 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by highyo View Post
in the city it's all about the nicks and bruises on rear bumpers from parking lots and parking on the street. i would love to see a very good "how to" on how to sand down, fill in, and repair these annoying little nicks. usually i let my fingers do the walking, but i think this is a relatively simple job, and the BMW touch up + clear coat is only $30.
Doctor Colorchip.

http://www.drcolorchip.com/

My buddy in DC uses this:

http://www.bumperbully.com/

He's got some pretty high line cars he has to park on the street so this is a necessity.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 03-27-2011, 01:25 PM

http://www.drcolorchip.com/

yes i have similar bumper guards for both front and back. they are very helpful. do you happen to know sophisto color code? would you say that drcolorchip is better than the BMW genuine?

Last edited by highyo; 03-27-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 535xi
Quote:
no the counter measures work quite well, and they are very prevalent in the city. invariable, you will get a little scratch but things cant stay new forever
Which counter measures would you recommend? I park in midtown NY (West 50's) every day. They take pretty good care of the car (currently an E60, still undecided on the F10), but over the years I have absorbed my share of small dents, scratches and some more significant damage (including a broken tail light on a prior Audi A6).

I have learned to not take it too seriously - after all, it is still just a car, and I do enjoy driving nice cars rather than "saving " it for the weekend.

But I must admit that a big part of my hesitation on going with the F10 has to do with the state of NYC roads. They have not been repaired for the most part, following this difficult winter, and as I slalom my way down 9th Ave, trying to avoid the craters - I can't imagine hitting one of them with a low-profile RFT. Who has the time or patience to deal with multiple flat tires, compounded by the lack of a spare.

2011 535xi - Black Sapphire, Venetian Beige

2008 535xi - Monaco Blue, Natural Brown Leather
Old 03-27-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerWalker View Post
Which counter measures would you recommend? I park in midtown NY (West 50's) every day. They take pretty good care of the car (currently an E60, still undecided on the F10), but over the years I have absorbed my share of small dents, scratches and some more significant damage (including a broken tail light on a prior Audi A6).

I have learned to not take it too seriously - after all, it is still just a car, and I do enjoy driving nice cars rather than "saving " it for the weekend.

But I must admit that a big part of my hesitation on going with the F10 has to do with the state of NYC roads. They have not been repaired for the most part, following this difficult winter, and as I slalom my way down 9th Ave, trying to avoid the craters - I can't imagine hitting one of them with a low-profile RFT. Who has the time or patience to deal with multiple flat tires, compounded by the lack of a spare.

for the front:
http://www.bumperblocker.com/

this wraps around the entire front bumper, connects with two rubber hooks to the wheel wells, easily adjusted. BUT can be stolen, so i only use it when in garages.

for the back:
http://www.amazon.com/PARKING-ARMOR-.../dp/B001RZ65MO

i like this for the rear because it is attached by velcro to your trunks carpet, so it can't be stolen. best strategy when parking on the street is to get really really close to the car behind you and leave as much room as possible to the front. or risk your bumper blocker.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 535xi
Quote:
for the front:
http://www.bumperblocker.com/

this wraps around the entire front bumper, connects with two rubber hooks to the wheel wells, easily adjusted. BUT can be stolen, so i only use it when in garages.

for the back:
http://www.amazon.com/PARKING-ARMOR-.../dp/B001RZ65MO

i like this for the rear because it is attached by velcro to your trunks carpet, so it can't be stolen. best strategy when parking on the street is to get really really close to the car behind you and leave as much room as possible to the front. or risk your bumper blocker.
Thanks - looks like you need to turn off the park sensors when using these.

2011 535xi - Black Sapphire, Venetian Beige

2008 535xi - Monaco Blue, Natural Brown Leather
Old 03-27-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerWalker View Post
Thanks - looks like you need to turn off the park sensors when using these.
yes but the cameras still work

Old 03-27-2011, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto: MDX, GS300, 2011 535xi
Two weeks ago, I went to a local Walmart. The lot was full and I parked at the farthest end of the lot and stayed in the car while the wife went in. The next space was free. In the adjacent space, a guy brought his graocery cart, put in the space between us and unloaded the cart into his back seat. When he finished, he stuck his torso into his car for something, the cart swung around, rolled across the empty space. While I was watching all this, I could not move fast enough to open the door and stop the cart. All I could do in my frantic frenzy was to shut the side view mirrors (I think I was trying to open the window to reach out to the cart) and honk. The guy jumped and tried unsuccessfully to stop the cart. WHAM! It hit the driver's door with a loud thud. My heart sank, blood pressure shot up and I got out and yelled at him. It was kind of dark and difficult to see the damage and we both examined the area. He then started his car and swung his car around to shine his headlights on the damaged area and got down to look at the damage. There was a smudge in the dirt where the plastic caps on the cart edge impacted the door, but no discernable dent. Before I could yell NO! he bent down, and with his hand "cleaned" the dirt in a 6 inch circle - put million swirls in the area and calmly said " I assess damage for a living - see there is no real damage" - it took a lot of self control not to kick him in his ******.

I understand the OPs angst. I guess c'est la vie. Next time I will buy a tercel.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 750i
I feel you man. My 750i was hit at 6000 miles like the same situation as you, a dent and some scratches. Repairs don't cost little too and it brings down the car value.

2011 BMW 750i (Current)
2010 BMW 528i
Old 04-05-2011, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto: 330ci
This is common sense but I just learned the hard way to always pull into your garage all the way. Two large rear bumper scratches on my F10 from the garage door. I want to blame my wife for cluttering up the garage with useless crap but I'll take full responsibility for this one. me = the idiot
Old 04-05-2011, 12:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
I feel your pain...I was backed into a few weeks back...CVS parking lot...now I've got a small ding and several scratches...ugh ; (

Time to fix things up for the spring