Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 04-01-2011, 07:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Clarification re 2 brake hoses at Suspension Tower

Thank you to "doru" for bringing it to my attention.
I have been saying that these 2 brake hoses are between the ABS and the Master Cylinder, wrong!
I just checked with my flashlight and these 2 hoses are between the ABS Unit and the Brake Calipers.

From my experience fixing many brake hydraulic sstems, I learned it the hard way so here you go:

- Clean the undercarriage of the car the day before.
- Then spray some WD-40 at BOTH ends of the hoses (2 ends/hose x 6 hoses) the day before, this allows the WD-40 time to soak into the rust.
- Use only "Flare Wrench".

PS: There are a total of 6 hoses in the E39.
Many people neglect the 2 hoses near the pass suspension firewall, only to find out they lose all braking effort in an instant. So for the 2 hoses near the pass suspension firewall:
- Line a piece of plastic and masking tape between the brake hoses/suspension tower paint work, so any spilled brake fluid does not damage the paint work.
- Look up direction of flow, but I think these hoses are between the ABS Unit and the Brake Calipers, so not need to worry about introducing air into the ABS Unit, although during disconnect, plug the metal line's ends with a rubber cap to prevent fluid loss.
- To prevent a trip to the dealer, make sure you do NOT allow any air to enter the ABS Unit.
- Then bleed the hydraulic system as usual.

FYI: I use my air compressor to bleed, all info here.
DIY: 1-man Hydraulic Bleeding Kit for those with Air Compressor
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=392957

Below is the picture of these 2 hoses (2 different PNs, they are not the same!).
Search realoem for Proper PNs.
Similar setup whether it is I6 or V8 engine; these 2 hoses are there.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E39brakehoses.JPG
Views:	4150
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	272753  

Last edited by cn90; 04-01-2011 at 07:26 AM.
Advertisement
Old 04-01-2011, 07:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
OK Cam, I must also bring to attention the hot-cold cycle of those 2 hoses (see article) and the fact that it seems they fail before the other 4 rubber lines on e39 and e38 models:

Old 04-01-2011, 10:42 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
Use only "Flare Wrench"
For the record, mine seems to be an 11mm (at least for the one shown in the photo below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
There are a total of 6 [brake] hoses in the E39
I'm a little confused.

Are these the six hoses offhand?
  1. The hose with the flare nut wrench in the picture below
  2. The companion hose to that hose (right next to it)
  3. ? The hose that goes to the right front wheel ?
  4. ? The hose that goes to the left front wheel ?
  5. ? The hose that goes to the right rear wheel ?
  6. ? The hose that goes to the left rear wheel ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2845.JPG
Views:	524
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	272764   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2846.JPG
Views:	567
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	272765  

Last edited by bluebee; 04-01-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:29 AM

Those are the 6 hoses you listed. Not sure what off hand means tho'
Old 04-01-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
Those are the 6 hoses you listed. Not sure what off hand means tho'
The word "offhand" simply means, in that context, if you know it without having to look it up. Off the cuff is another way of saying that.

I guess what you and cn90 are intimating here is that we should periodically (perhaps when we do a brake job) check the condition of all six rubber hoses, and replace any that appear to need replacement.

Is that a correct assumption?
Old 04-01-2011, 01:19 PM

Thanks Bluebee.
I see what you meant. April fools day, so I'm not thinking straight today (surprised no one posted an April's fools day post).
The 4 brake hoses that go to the wheels when starting to deteriorate, this will happen from the outside in, meaning one is able to see little cracks starting to develop. This is easy.

However, the 2 lines that go to the rear wheels and are situated under the hood, will fail almost like the radiator - without warning. Due to cold-hot cycles in the proximity of the engine. When they go, they usually pop when you brake really hard (when you need it the most?). They will look OK to the naked eye. Maybe before a trip one should open the hood and "massage" them when they are still cold. If they start peeling/crumbling slightly, it's time.......There is no visual on them......
Old 04-01-2011, 01:50 PM

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
For the record, mine seems to be an 11mm (at least for the one shown in the photo below).

I'm a little confused.

Are these the six hoses offhand?
  1. The hose with the flare nut wrench in the picture below
  2. The companion hose to that hose (right next to it)
  3. ? The hose that goes to the right front wheel ?
  4. ? The hose that goes to the left front wheel ?
  5. ? The hose that goes to the right rear wheel ?
  6. ? The hose that goes to the left rear wheel ?
Are the hoses BlueBee pictured the same hoses Cnn is talking about?
I thought the hoses were at the rear of the car?
Not in-front of the ABS unit...
Old 04-01-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
Are the hoses BlueBee pictured the same hoses Cnn is talking about?
I thought the hoses were at the rear of the car?
Not in-front of the ABS unit...
Yes, Jason these are the very ones. In the front of the car. They come out at the rear of the ABS unit and go straight to the rear brakes.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:21 AM

For the cross-linked record, cn90 just wrote a very nice DIY on rebuilding the brake system, including all six hoses.
- DIY: 1998 BMW 528i Brake Hydraulic System Overhaul (6 Hoses, Caliper Seals/Boots)
Old 02-05-2013, 08:52 AM

For cross reference, Doru shows pictures of what 'can' happen to old brake lines over here today:
Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
These are NOT BMW brake lines, but they are also rubber brake lines found in most of the cars. My son called me Saturday night because he lost total braking power. It happened when he arrived at one of his friends house, luckily not when driving on the freeway. The car is 12 years old, and it was maintained meticulously. I did brake flushes every 2-3 years, but rubber is rubber - it ages.
The pfront passenger side brake line did burst. Below are the pics with the hose on the car and off.
So, if your car is older than 10 years, do yourself a favour and change the brake lines. Cruising at 60 mph and loosing the brakes at a sudden can be fatal. Because a weak line will burst when you apply an emergency brake (sudden force). The pics are from a Mazda Tribute purchase new in Sep 2000.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:41 AM
Agnostic Priest

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6
isnt there are also two more really short rubber hoses near the rear subframe to allow the subframe to move?
3" obx catback
full powerflex urethane setup
545 ssk
cdv delete
m5 rear sway bar
M5 chassis rods
M5 3.15 lsd
Bc-r coilovers w/ swift springs
Akebono=suck
ss braided brake lines

coming soon:

Jb lwfw

Old 02-05-2013, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Nope,

Total 6 hoses as discussed.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:55 AM

Just to add my 0.02
For the M54 engine, that has the heat shield, see how low the 2 hosses sit? A "regular flare-nut wrench will not fit. So you will need to take off the heat shield, which is a royal PITA.

What you want is this: you use flare-wrench sockets with an extension to your ratchet similar to the pic below.
Undo the upper line, then the bottom line. Install the bottom line, then the upper line.
This will avoid bending or taking off the heatshield.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:05 PM
Agnostic Priest

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz540i View Post
isnt there are also two more really short rubber hoses near the rear subframe to allow the subframe to move?
Im asking because i didnt install my braided ss lines yet. When it arrived it came with 6 lines. It had the obvious ones, one for each wheel plus two short ones like in the pic. I was under the impression that the short ones went to the rear somewhere near the front of the subframe area but it seems they may actually go near the dsc? I thought i saw this on realoem but now i cant find it so maybe im wrong.

So for the record there are only 6 total rubber brake lines anywhere on the car?
3" obx catback
full powerflex urethane setup
545 ssk
cdv delete
m5 rear sway bar
M5 chassis rods
M5 3.15 lsd
Bc-r coilovers w/ swift springs
Akebono=suck
ss braided brake lines

coming soon:

Jb lwfw

Old 04-02-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz540i View Post
So for the record there are only 6 total rubber brake lines anywhere on the car?
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > E39 Replace brake pips.
Maybe we can PM cn90 to confirm that as I don't know.
I just came back here just now to cross reference a replacement thread for the METAL lines that go to the wheels, as per this thread today:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceUppercut View Post
Hello gents.

I am about to replace the "brake pips" on my E39 528i 2.8L 1997.

Im not sure if "brake pips" is the correct term, but just to be sure we are speaking about the same thing:

"It is the pips that runs from the engine room, under the car which contains the brake flued for the back brakes"

Now there is a small issue.

I am only going to replace the pips for the back brakes. Not the front ones.
As i see it they start in the engine room, and pops out under the car just behind the left front tire. They run all the way down the left side of the car and up under the back left tire.
Now therein lies the problem, the pips disapperes at the left back tire up under some plastic protection cover.

Does anyone know if the pips run up and over the gas tank?

In that case im not gonna do it, im just gonna book a time at a mechanic since im pretty sure the gas tank has to be removed for this, and im not gonna fiddle with that as an amature.
If they do not run up and above the gas tank, it should be pretty straight forward i guess?

Cheers.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:42 PM

For the record, another brake pipe thread was opened today:
Quote:
Originally Posted by matttahoe53 View Post
Hello I just joined the forum after using it to diagnose and do repairs on a new to me 99 528i wagon. I have been looking on the forum for any info on replacing the rear metal brake pipes. They are both corroded and one has a leak. I saw a thread where someone else had the same problem, but there really wasn't any follow up. Is the swap as simple as undoing a couple flare nuts?
Old 04-21-2015, 09:59 AM

This related thread was posted today ...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > lost brake pressure and p0600
Quote:
Originally Posted by nthach530 View Post
2002 530i was driving and all sudden car lost break pressure, petal went to the floor as i was braking, car imediatly went into trans fail safe mode, pull over and inspect the car..pop the hood and realize it was smoking...look around and found that one of the brake hose that connect to the abs unit had burst..I had the car tow home and scan it, pull up the code p0600 ( serial communication link) went to the dealer to get a new hose after installed it add brake fluid and still no pressure, car still go in trans fail mode...ok must be air in the system now I need to bleed it ...but no time as I'm already late for work...gonna look at it when I return...my question will after I bleed the system will all the problem be fixed? And is all this related to each other.. no brake pressure,transfail, p0600 .
Old 06-30-2015, 12:33 PM

Another brake hose apparently blew out today...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Figured I would go ahead and blow an ABS hose today
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhed1964 View Post
Figured it was time, so I found the most bone-jarring pot hole and hit it with my passenger side front tire while turning.

You see, I am kind of a sucker for punishment. I'm also a lazy sack of dog-****, especially when it comes to things that I SAW, YET JUST PUT IT OFF FOR ANOTHER TIME. I saw that the rubber coating to my ABS hoses in the back of the unit were cracked and peeling, that was last summer. But... since I like blowing stuff up and almost killing myself trying to limp the car home (at 80mph) without brakes, I figured I would let it die. Nothing could happen, right? If they were that worn and weak for that long on a 16 year old 528i, the could easily take me another couple years, right?

So... off to Pelican parts to order both of those hoses, along with brake hoses (regular, not braided), since they were also a bit cracked.... a little factoid that I also noticed last fall.... and did nothing about. So because I need my car this week, I went ahead and used some of the $150.xx store credit that I had and ordered from Pelican, with overnight delivery ($39). They'll get here tomorrow.

So, if you like flying down the highway dripping brake fluid all over the place, and ordering parts quickly to fix what your procrastination has broken, just ignore critical items on your car just like I did.

Good thing is, I finally have an excuse to try the Pentosin Super DOT4 fluid

Attachment 516951

See also:
- What six brake hoses to check for wear (1) & how to identify and replace all E39 brake hoses (1) (2) & brake pipes (1) (2)