Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 06-25-2014, 08:46 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
Cost to check transmission fluid

Hey guys does anyone know how much bmw will charge to check the tranny fluid?? New member on this website anyone help???
Advertisement
Old 06-26-2014, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Welcome to Bimmerfest! I split your question out of that other thread into it's own thread. Take a minute to look over the new member guide to give you a better sense of how to use the forum -

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=384118

What is wrong with your car that you want the transmission changed? I would not take it to the dealer but an independent BMW service shop. You can find one from the listings here -

www.bimrs.org/MapPage.html

Good luck,
Tim
Old 06-26-2014, 08:27 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
To the OP, most of us would just check it ourselves, so we wouldn't know costs all that well.

Typing /transmission fluid f3 in the bestlinks nets quite a few good threads, e.g.:
- ATF: Automatic transmission fluid (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & automatic transmission fluid & filter DIYs (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & torque values (1) & how to find the hidden E39 transmission fluid level dipstick (1) & why ATF gushes out of the fill hole (1) & ZF 5HP19 facts (1)

However, if you _really_ want to know what it costs to have it checked, you'll have to check out the BMW flat rate manual and then add the shop rate to that. Typing /flat rate f3 in the bestlinks netted me this just now:
- Where can one obtain the BMW KSD for flat rate unit (FRU) labor pricing (1) & the BMW TIS for technical service bulletins (1) (2) & if you can no longer find the TIS, here's why (1)

Out here, the shop rate is around $175 an hour, so, if the flat rate KSD says it takes an hour to check, there's your cost.

See also:
- Finding a reputable BMW indy in your area (1) (2) & the consumers' checkbook method of finding a good mechanic (1) & repairpal labor/job/shop rates by zip code (1) & other things to consider replacing while you're already there (1)
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 06-26-2014, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 528i (e39)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_e39 View Post
Hey guys does anyone know how much bmw will charge to check the tranny fluid?? New member on this website anyone help???

How many miles are on your car? Do you know if the fluid has ever been changed before, or is it the original fluid?

These cars come with a "lifetime" tranny fluid - with that said there are many discussions on this forum on the matter.

The short is (and I spoke to my Indy about this, and it is also discussed on the forum - bluebee above probably already linked these discussions) if you are on original tranny fluids with 100k+ miles on the car, don't change it. If under, read on the topic and make a decision.

My car has 133k miles and still has the original fluid. Hope this helps.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-26-2014, 09:39 AM

Thanks for replying back man it's cause my car takes a while to shift into 4 gear , while driving I expect it to shift already but the rpm just keeps rising for a little bit more than what it should. It's a automatic transmission. Do you think I could be low on fluids???
Old 06-26-2014, 09:41 AM

Car Has 124,000 but on the car fax it says that a new engine was put in and I don't know the miles if they really did change the engine
Old 06-26-2014, 11:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
When you say "check," do you mean level or condition?

The only way to lose fluid is via a leak. If your garage floor has spots on it, that would be an indicator.

Does it always take more time to shift, or just when cold? Has this just begun to happen?

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:42 AM

Both,but more like condition. Would old fluid make it change in the shifting??? And both cold and hot just when I'm gaining speed after 3 gear going into 4th and 5th
Old 06-26-2014, 12:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Changing the fluid at this mileage constitutes a religious argument. There are adherents on both sides. Best you search this forum for more information on which to base a decision.

Read the links posted by bluebee.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

Last edited by edjack; 06-26-2014 at 12:30 PM.